Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Big G - I'm glad that guy won his bet, brought back the athletic competitive spirit in him.

That's a brilliant run for you today at the Cornish, considering I don't think you've done much in the way of hill training a great run.   It is a lovely race, so friendly, the marshals and the other runners, it has the atmosphere of an ultra in that the goal is to finish and enjoy it.   The route is very much like DD twisting and turning and up and down, except for that long section after Jamaica Inn, I was glad when we got to the end of that and I was looking for the next hill.

I looked for you several times before the start but so many folk milling around.   One of the other Trotters offered to take the books but when I mentioned that one of them was worth £300 he declined, it's not Davey's book that's worth that. ;)   But ET is made of sterner stuff and she has the books for you, she had a great run and won her age group.

Ian5 - don't worry the other runners can't dance either but it's a great way to sort out post race soreness plus have a few beers of course.

That's a good long run today, be careful with that calf.

mamafox - that's great news that your OH wants to come over too, race will be first weekend in June but we'll have plenty of time to sort out.    It's 2018 that I've booked accommodation for and will go to the disco.   It does make a great weekend staying up there, meet up for a meal on the Friday night before, then Saturday is race and disco, Sunday head home.  There is camping available but don't tell OH, the thought of trying to crawl out of a tent the day after DD brings tears to my eyes.   Even though it's June weather can be awful in Princetown 1400 ft above sea level so can be cold at night so definitely hotel/pub or B & B, there are bunkhouses available too.

SK - how's the injury?

I had a lovely day today at the Cornish, no training for months due to one niggle after another, cut foot, cold etc.  So was very happy to finish in 5:21, conditions were really good but a touch too cold for me even though I was dressed adequately.   But I loved the whole event, the banter, the route and I didn't even mind being beaten by someone dressed as a Cornish pasty.   She over took me in the first mile and didn't see her again until I got to Jamaica Inn and then she was a few yards ahead.  But I couldn't catch her, she ran well considering she was in fancy dress, some of the roads are really narrow and I'm not sure how the cars managed to get past a 4 foot wide giant Cornish pasty, but they did.  Although I was slow I felt strong and like Big G did fairly even splits, one minute slower in the 2nd half.   Was expecting my hip flexor to be painful but not even a twinge so am very pleased about that.   So enjoyed my cup of tea and hot pasty at the finish.  The hoodie will go to the recycling, a small size this one measures 40 inch chest! I don't wear hoodies anyway.  It's such a waste of money I wish they had an option on the entry not to have a hoodie, one girl I spoke to who is very petite uses it as bedding for her dog's basket!

That tentative winter training plan that I wrote yesterday can now commence tomorrow.  :)

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Well done all who have raced today. Lovely reading about the Cornish Marathon,  definitely going to enter next year. I've not my bed all day as full of cold and got someone to lead my club run tomorrow. Not going to get out of work tomorrow. I need to book hotel for DD any recommendations Shades. From what people have said Tent ⛺️ sounds better option to bunk house. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a lovely photo, that wasn't on this page even when I refreshed it after my post, weird.  Photo captures the event well.

Jelly - so sorry to hear you're poorly.  Yes, do the Cornish next year, a lovely race.

I don't have any recommendations for accommodation at DD, but this time I've booked into Duchy House, but I think it might be full now after Chair's post on FB.  A few years ago friends stayed at a good B & B just down the street, I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - it was the Oratory my friends stayed at, I think it has a kitchen so it was good for preparing their own stuff for the race but I guess you're looking for after the race.   Plume of Feathers have a lodge across the road with rooms, I think you can only book by phone. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather have a bunkhouse than a tent.  You don't have to share you can book a bunkhouse for yourself, one we had had 4 bunks but 2 of us shared.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Some great racing today! well done Big G on your sub 4 and Shades on a really great race!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great relaxed picture there and looks like you had a good race.
    Shades-Really happy you had a good race after the training hiccups you've had recently.
    My calf seems Ok,might just have been soreness from 54 miles this week but wanted to play safe especially as the last mile is uphill.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Found Giant Pasty Photo, sorry couldn't see you Shades. 
  • Ha! That’s a great pastie! Glad you had a good race, Shades (even if you were beaten by the giant pastie!)

Get well soon Jelly, hope you feel better after a day’s rest.

Shades - the foot is not getting worse and is still OK to run on. Am still icing after runs and massaging with golf ball. Been wearing a compression ankle sock thing which seems to help and avoiding going bare foot ever. Trying to introduce more strengthening exercises now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Twitchy jelly legs! :tired_face:    Still, it means this week's race report is ready to go - just waiting on the Cornish result to be published.

Shades, glad you had a good race too.  It's a great event and definitely one to do again.  I can imagine in the bad weather though, finish times would be worse - a strong head wind on parts of that course brings fear  ;)    A £300 book...wow!  Which one is that?

I haven't done any hill training for a couple of months, but I did do quite a bit (for me, anyway) in preparation for City to Sea.  I did the recce runs of the route a couple of times, plus went out on some hills near me too.  But nothing specific since start of September.

Jelly, sorry to hear you're not well and hopefully you'll feel a bit better today, and that work isn't too bad.

SK, great that the foot isn't getting any worse!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - a good training week for you.  Are you still doing your stretches? ;)

Jelly -  no, I couldn't get that close to the giant pasty, closest I got was about 100 metres then on a hill I'd start to gain on her then at the top of the hill she'd take off again.

SK - that's good news about your foot.  It's hard not to go barefoot at home, especially when the weather is warmer. but apparently that does make a difference.  Ditch any flip flops or t-post sandals too so you're not tempted to wear them again.

Big G - it's the Ultramarathon book, it's quite fragile but even in that condition it's worth that.   Just looked on Amazon and a new copy is worth £1,109 :o   The price keeps going up, last time I looked which was a couple of years ago a copy in similar condition to mine was worth £75, so if you ever see a copy in a charity shop buy it, a good investment.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultramarathon-James-Shapiro/dp/0553012754

Big G - I'm glad you enjoyed the Cornish so much, even in bad conditions the atmosphere is good as we all have to battle through.  I can remember years ago before they offered a meat free pasty that a strict vegetarian friend queued up for his pasty, I though he was collecting it to give to his wife but she wasn't here.  He wanted it to warm his hands after the race as he couldn't get warm again after a cold run.

5 mile recovery run done, foot was a bit sore when I got up and for the first couple of miles, it doesn't like the cold and maybe aching as the road surface was quite uneven in places yesterday.  Thought my quads might be a bit sore after the downhills but they seem OK.   Legs and foot much better by the end of my run.

• Morning all.

Thanks for all the good luck messages.

The half went really well considering the lack of proper preparation on my part. 
    Gosport half is a two lap coastal route and very flat.
    Conditions this year were perfect, no wind or rain and the sun was out giving a modest 10 deg C.
    At the start I told myself to take it easy as I was unsure I could comfortably go the distance. 
    So for the first 7 miles I ran a steady avg 8:30min/miles which felt relatively good.
    After the first lap my confidence was back and felt the itch to get going, so I left the group I was following and managed to up the pace slightly to 8:10min/miles and even managed sub 8min/mile for the last mile and a bit.
    Sprinted to the finish so I could tuck in under 1:50, but only just by 4 sec!  :)
    Still i'm very pleased with the result and my level for fitness. The race was a great boost to starting my training plan and has set a decent reference point.

However, I do ache today! 
    So this week I should be able to slow my training runs right down.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done OTB.  Shows you've got sub-4 in you!

Shades, I'm meeting wth ET on Wednesday, and she'll be giving the books to me then.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - that's great pacing for your half marathon, we just have to get you trained to pace a marathon as well.   But as we all have found out it's much harder to get the pacing right in a marathon.

Get out for a short gentle run as soon as you can and that will speed up your recovery.

Big G - there's no rush to return the books so take your time.

Yogalates was good, perfect post marathon stretching.  :)

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-Great race pacing and a good time,sets you up well for a winter's training knowing sub 4 is there if you train well.
    Shades-I stretch more than I used to but still not enough.Also foam roll a couple of times a week so I'm improving  :D
    Legs feel great today,wasn't sure whether I'd make the club tonight after a long run but no reason why not.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I managed 8k this morning and had my first sub 5min k's since a long time (with dog assisted speed ;-)). I think i've worked out the reason why i'm sluggish but it's nothing that I can resolve so I'm going to see how I can work around it. B suggested that I look at some half marathons and see if those work and if I like them so i might see if I can find any close by.
  • Thanks All, It's great to know I have potential for a sub 4.  :)

• Managed 10k Saturday, took it easy, but pace was faster than I thought, as wasn't looking at watch.

In other news, sorted my autumn marathon....I'll be running New York!! Excited!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I got my 4-mile recovery run done, which was a struggle!  Quads were sore, but I'm glad to get it done (although I was swearing under my breath at Shades ;) ).  
  • Big G - Congrats on another sub 4 marathon, on a tough looking route!
    Shades - Congrats on a good run!
  • OTB- well done on your h/m sounds like you paced it well and have something to build on.
    Big G, Shades- great effort from both of you at the weekend.

For me it's been a disaster of a weekend. Just a I thought I had got rid of my Man Flu and went out for a gentle 4 miles last Wednesday it appeared it totally floored me all weekend and did not have the energy to do anything. Felt better today so easy 4 miles on the treadmill. Started my 2 weeks annual leave holidays from work last Wednesday so hopefully now I can get into my running an stop eating obscene amount of biscuits and chocolate.

Looking for advice Shadies- As I have my first marathon booked for April I was thinking of adding in quite a few half's between now and then. Until I start my marathon training at the start of the year I am always at a loss on what my running structure  should be until that time and I always lose focus and fitness. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • Steven - It's up to you, as you know what works best for you, but I would personally just use this period to run lots of easy miles (base building).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steven, also, are there any races close to you?  Down here, there are a few really good 10-mile-ish off road events in December.  If similar to where you are, maybe enter one of those to keep you motivated to run, but do the event and not be worried about the time - just enjoy it. And maybe enter a 10K in January, which you can race to see where you are with your fitness before starting the plan?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - stretching etc is just something that needs to become a habit, you're getting there :)

Emmy - you seemed to lose your love for the marathons too, so hope you've found now how to enjoy your running again.

Steve - NY, that's exciting, did you enter the ballot?   I've done NY marathon, went for 5 days and loved every minute of it, the expo, the race, the people, the shopping, had an amazing time.  You'll love it. :)

Big_G said:
    I got my 4-mile recovery run done, which was a struggle!  Quads were sore, but I'm glad to get it done (although I was swearing under my breath at Shades ;) ).  

I'm immune to the thought of folk swearing at me,  ;) I've muttered a few choice words to myself sometimes at the start of a recovery run.    I can feel my quads a little now and I expect yours are sore from the downhills.  

steven - I agree with Steve, use the time to just run easy, lots of miles nice and easy, no pressure on time.  It will give you a chance to get yourself over the man flu and strengthen your immune system ready for the serious marathon training.   The stronger the base you lay down the easier and more rewarding the marathon training plan will be.  And Big G's suggestion of a shorter race before you start the plan does tell you what shape you're in.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Great news,that's something to look forward to.
    Club tonight for me,wasn't sure how it would go after yesterday's run.It was the same loop as 4 weeks ago,but this time 7 loops vs 6 last time.Came out about 4 secs per loop slower,can't complain the day after 17 miles really.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Ian - that's impressive doing that speed training the day after your 17 miler, calf OK?

Mild this morning bit of a sharp breeze in places but quite pleasant.  I have slight DOMS in my quads this morning, I'm not surprised after Sunday.   Also slight DOMS in my glutes too, which my guru friend tells me is good as it shows my exercises are paying off and I'm using my glutes more.

Big G - are your quads sore today?

I hate Amazon :#:#   I've got a price watch on RunRepeat for my Guide 9's, so email this morning to say they are available for £47  :):)  but delivery is £19.90 (from Italy) so not such a good deal after all!  they are a nice colour though ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Saucony-Guide-Womens-Running-Shoes/dp/B018F57E50?SubscriptionId=AKIAI5WNVJYA5MKY6P7A&tag=runrepcom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B015YZXARA&psc=1

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes my quads are still sore.  At least I know I need to do some hill training - well, I knew that already, but it's been confirmed after the race.  They feel worse now than they did after my double....  

Ian, good session there too.

I'm probably not running today, but will hopefully run tomorrow.
  • Shades - No, went via a tour operator for a guaranteed spot. The GF has unfinished business with the marathon after an injury at London in 2016, so we both decided to go for guaranteed spots rather than the luck of the ballot (which isn't open until Jan!).

Ian - Impressive speed session after the long run!!

Another easy 5 miles for me, surprisingly mild today!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes the calf seems fine again,really surprisingly my legs feel great today again,expected some soreness but all good.Need to be careful though and just have an easy run later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's the downhills that have caused our quad soreness, I ran quite well on the downhill parts in the last 2 or 3 miles and there's some longish stretches of downhill there.

I've just been to Pilates, usual instructor is on a course and we joined the other class.  This instructor is very good too but does quite a tough class, all slow and precise and she and another instructor come round to make sure you do every move perfectly.   There's no hiding place in this class so I mentioned my sore quads before the start and was let off some of the tougher stuff, I knew I couldn't do a good one legged bridge today. :'(

Steve - good idea re NY, it's worth the money and with the ballot you can't be sure that you'd both get a place.   When I did NY we did the same thing and it was a great trip, we were so well looked after. The transport to and from the race really was efficient and a nice change not having to do all the logistics ourselves.  We went with Mike Gratton's company and it was actually MG's brother who looked after us in NY, his brother is not a runner but a really nice guy.

Ian - that's good about the calf.   You must be getting through your running shoes quite quickly now with your higher mileage!