Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Easyjet flights have been released today for autumn 2018.   Return flights for Loch Ness from Bristol £55, which is cheaper than last year, but looks like I'll be racing in Ireland that weekend and I think I've more or less committed myself to the 24 hour event there :o   I've done three 24 hour events before and never done well, so unfinished business there. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, a few Trotters are doing Medoc next year, and have booked flights today.  I had tentatively said I was interested, but I'm going to have to bow out of it due to finances.  A friend is getting married next year now, and his stag do to Barca is going to be in place of Medoc!  Swapping something instead of a marathon - unheard of for me, recently ;)  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe you can rejig the finances and squeeze in another marathon at another time.  :)  

I can't remember if mamafox has done Medoc before.  Anyway it's not as if Medoc would have been a potential PB for you, not sure if I can see you in fancy dress either ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - true.  Next year's Medoc theme is "fairground" I believe.  A marathon is hard enough, without being dehydrated/drunk in the heat and dressed as a helter skelter or something ;)   It does sound interesting though!
  • Options
    Shades- I was watching Martin Lewis last night and he mentioned about Easyjet releasing flights for next Autumn. I entered the ballot for Berlin next year and was thinking if I didn't get a place then I would do Loch Ness however I went onto Easyjet website and saw the price for a flight to Berlin at £100 return so I just decided to book it. Worse case scenario is if no ballot place then I'll get a guaranteed place from a tour company and run it that way. Did not ever think I would do a marathon abroad must be all the Shadies influences has motivated me to attempt it.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hard session tonight.4x1500 reps,we also had a wet track and very windy conditions to deal with so far from ideal.Unsurprisingly I was slower than my last track session and finished in just over 24 mins.My main goal was not to get lapped by our top marathon man doing 4x2k at the same time and i succeeded in that at least.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did a 6x1k session tonight with the club.  It was really windy and part of the course was in to a strong headwind, but I'm glad I went as it is one of my favourite sessions that we do.  The first 5 reps were quite consistent, but the last one I slowed a fair bit, and also my legs are still a bit sore from Sunday!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - is Medoc the Trotter's club trip next year then?   It's a really popular event but not for me, I think most of it is off road and I'm not that keen on wine, nor fancy dress although I know not everyone dresses up.

Steven - I do hope you get that ballot place in Berlin.  Maybe book a hotel too before the ballot results as the prices will go up then, you can always book with a full cancellation option so if you then decide to go with a tour company you're not committed.   You can always do Loch Ness another year.
    With all the talk of marathons on here it's not difficult to be tempted to do more and/or in different countries.  

Ian - tracks are awful in windy weather, makes a hard session really tough, you did well.

Jelly - are you over that nasty cold now?

Cal - how are you doing, any progress?

Short run for me today, I don't feel ill but not 100% so shortened my route.   Only ate half my normal amount for breakfast so I'm definitely not firing on all cylinders today.   Have cancelled Pilates too.   But DOMS has gone completely now.

Will do marathon list today, I forgot yesterday :/ 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Shades, it's someone's 40th birthday, and she's getting a few together for Medoc and I think about 6 or so booked flights yesterday for a good price.  Again, it's the accommodation costs that put me off really.  If I start to feel I'm not getting reasonable value for money for the whole trip, I get put off, especially if it's not an event/city/location I really have my eye on, plus there is a stag do I'm going on which wasn't in my rough "budget".  Club marathon trip hasn't been 100% decided, but I've been asked to look at accommodation etc for the likely option.

Ian/Shades, that change in rule for London marathon will impact our club, as we don't have 150 EA members - we have just over 100, so used to get two places a year, and now we'll get one a year.  We have a system where we basically have a list of people, so the top two on the list would go this year, the next two the year after, and so on.  So two people would know that in X years time they'll be doing London (as long as they remain club members and keep helping at races).  That time to get in to London will now double, so no where near as attractive to people on the list, and I hope it doesn't stop people helping out at our races!  But as I always say about London - it's their rules/race and they can do what they want, and they're right when they say that probably most GFA people are club runners anyway.  It'll be interesting to see if they tinker with the GFA times next (i.e., make them harder) - I've no idea, but I wonder if the number of runners who qualify with GFA times go up each year?  If so, they'll make the times harder soon.

Steven, I'm in the Berlin ballot and was seriously thinking about booking flights yesterday too, but I haven't.  If I get in the ballot, I'll just book up straight away and take my chances that way.  I do have a refundable hotel already booked, which if I don't get in I'll just cancel.  We find out from 30th November I think, don't we?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Shades, I forgot to say - ET gave me your books yesterday.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G- I read that an extra 800 qualified via gfa in 2018v2017 hence the need to change club places rather than alter gfa times.
    The last change was 4 years ago so I'm hoping they don't change it next year.
    Whilst reading I had an idea....if I set up my own club and affiliated to EA-£100 fee,then got 10 friends to join-£14 each,so my total outlay is £240 would I then be entitled to 1 club place or am I missing something? Far cheaper than a charity place.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I agree, if a race is one that you really want to do then costs are less of an issue but if the race doesn't appeal that much and costs are going to be expensive, is it worth it?  I think Medoc is one of those love/hate marathons, I've been invited there a few times by various friends, I've declined and I don't think most of them ever go back again, but that might be a cost issue.

Re the allocation of VLM places at the Trotters, don't the applicants have to have a ballot rejection to qualify for a club place even if they are top of the list?

I agree with what you say re VLM's allocation of places, I've said it so many times that if someone wants to run London then they can easily get a charity place if they fail in the ballot.

No rush for the books.  

Ian - I think the GFA times will probably be the next change they make, maybe they'll tighten some of the times or maybe they'll move to a similar system to Boston, but I don't think that's a very fair system.   Or they could stop deferrals, many races don't allow deferrals but I know they wouldn't want folk to run if they're ill or injured but I think folk do that anyway.

Ian - if you set up your own club your 10 friends with their EA licences (£15 each from April) might want that VLM place!  You'd have to get EA to approve your club, and your club kit (more expense) they don't like small clubs and ask new small ones to tag onto a local bigger club.  You'd need to open a specific bank account have a committee and lots more pointless red tape issues.   Then next year VLM might change the allocation of club places again, the latest update only refers to 2018 club places.   I suspect they'd like to abolish the club places but of course EA don't want them to as they don't want to lose licence fees.   London is not that amazing a marathon, it's very good for someone doing their first marathon especially if they're raising money for charity, it's well organised but grossly overcrowded, apart from the elite race and the club champs it's just a giant charity fun run.   There are so many other races to do.  If you really want to do it get a charity place and put a bit of work in raising the funds and then a charity will benefit too and you'll get to run your race.   Although I got a ballot place at London for my first marathon I still raised money for charity because that's what the race is about.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It was more a general question than an actual plan.I suspected a lot more work would have been needed than simply joining.
    I'm not that desperate to get a place in london to go the charity route.I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get anywhere near the amount to raise.I'd like to do it as it's such an iconic race but if not then,as you say,there's plenty of others around.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, sorry - I meant to add that people are supposed to enter the ballot as well, to get the club place and remain on the list.  Also, if you get a place by other means (GFA, ballot or charity) you're removed from the list once you've ran the race.  This is why I'm not on the list, which is fair enough.

For what it's worth, I'm not overly keen on the new club system of allocating the London places.  It used to be a lottery that was drawn at the Xmas party, and it was quite exciting to see if you had got in or not; for me, it used to be one of the highlights of the night!  This year's London club entries were the first runners from the new system.  I just checked and there are 19 people left on the list, so some of them are going to have a long wait, unless people start dropping off.  It's also a bit harder for the members now; we currently organise 6 races a year (our 5 club races, plus the cross country champs), but from next year we'll only be organising 5 (we're dropping the cross country), although they'll still be required to help out four times.  So if people do the DD, for example, they'll then have to marshal at all remaining races to stay on the list.  It's not as attractive as it used to be, unfortunately, but again it's London's race so they can do what they want, and in my view they do it very well :) 
    http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/about/club-data/london-marathon-places
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon List 

13th March
    Enigma - Milton Keynes
    Big G - PB 3:54:17   

2nd April
    Manchester
    Cal - PB 4:29:29  
    Ian5 -  4:29
    Steve -  PB 3:10:15  
    NickW2 - PB 3:24:59  

9th April
    Paris
    SuzSaville82 - PB 4:26  
    Rotterdam
    Emmy 4:42
    Brighton
    Louey  - 4:24:45

23rd April
    London
    Big G - 4:00:59
    Iain Love - 2:57:49
    Slowkoala - 3:12:43
    Southampton
    Jugula - 4:21

29th April
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:29
    Shades - 5:01

7th May
    Great Welsh
    Shades - 4:44:12

13th May
    Marathon de Blaye 
    mamafox - 3:40 - 3rd place and she did win the wine  

14th May
    Hereford
    Shades - 4:45:59

21st May
    Worcester
    Shades - 4:53:46
    Leiden
    Big G - 3:54:25
    Emmy - 4:42:59 (including beer stops)

27th May
    Saturday Night
    Iain - 3:20:45 Winner   

28th May
    Liverpool
    Cal - 4:37:52
    Dorchester
    Shades - 4:56:16

3rd June
    Dartmoor Discovery
    Shades  - PB 6:32:17 

11th June
    Yeovil Marathon
    Shades - 5:13

15th June
    Dorney Lake 6 Hour
    Shades - 5:29:59  B 

18th June
    Enigma Clueless
    Big G - 5:09:58 B

24th June
    Giantshead
    Emmy - 5:56

24th/25th June
    Harp 24
    mowzer - 28 miles

25th June
    Boddington Marathon
    Shades - 4:59:57

2nd July
    Wirral Ultra
    Ian5 - PB 7:01 

9th July
    LDWA From Here to There
    mowzer 9:06

15th July
    Chiltern Challenge 50km
    Steve - PB 5:06 

23rd July
    Ironman Marathon
    Iain - 3:29:54

29th July
    Enigma Planes
    Big G - 4:35

6th August
    Gloucester
    Big G - 3:58:10

12th August
    SVP 100km
    Steve -  PB 12:22 

13th August
    mowzer - 7:50

Isle of Man
    Shades - 4:59:06

3rd September
    City to Sea 
    Big G - 5:28:53

14th September
    Dorney Lake 
    Big G - 4:14:12

17th September
    Lancaster
    Ian -  PB 3:34:41 

24th September
    Loch Ness
    Shades 5:06:10

1st October
    Plym Trail
    Big G - 4:44:59

8th October 
    Chester
    Ian - PB 3:31:26 

Munich
    Big G - PB 3:42:38 

Yorkshire
    Lily - PB 5:07:15 

15th October
    Birmingham
    Steve - 3:18:47
    John - PB 4:43:52 
    Jelly - PB 4:06:20 

Burton Bradstock
    Big G - 3:54:24S
    Shades - 5:15:07

22nd October
    Marine Corps Marathon
    Emmy - 5:00:09

Abingdon
    Big G - 3:48:44

29th October
    Dartmoor Vale
    Jelly - 4:11:48
    Big G - 3:57:08

3rd November
    Halloween 
    Big G - 3:55

4th November
    Halloween
    Big G - 4:05

11th November
    Phoenix Remembrance
    Iain - 3:10:41 Winner   

12th November
    Phoenix Jurassic
    Iain - 29.7 miles 4:34

19th November
    Cornish
    Big G - 3:57:50
    Shades - 5:21:42

26th November
    La Rochelle
    mamafox

3rd December
    Nottingham Christmas
    Big G

9th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G

19th December
    Enigma Christmas
    Big G

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian - cheaper than a charity place yes but makes it an expensive marathon? I think charities pay more than that though so maybe something a savvy charity could use?

Big G - I think my club will go from 2 places to 1 as well. Though we get places for doing the water station too so not quite as big a hit in percentage terms.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I have to say, for me London is still the best.  I'd absolutely love to do it again, and even though GFA is way off for me, I'd love to get there just so I would be guaranteed to do the race again.  It's everything - getting there, the Expo, the elites, the atmosphere, seeing the course being set up.  And that's all before you set foot on the start line!  The organisation is like nothing I've ever experienced in a marathon, the crowds, the support, the reasons various people are running, the medal, the goodie bag, the value for money, the emotions.  Everything is superb about it in my view.  You're right of course, there are loads of other marathons, but I can see why you'd want to do it.  Really best of luck with chasing your GFA - it'll be a massive achievement if/when you get there!  This year's event is really what ignited my marathon running this year and I have gone on to do some great other events, but for me London still has it all.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Big G - yes, I went to the Xmas do a couple of times and great excitement for the London draw.   It's hard to know what is fair re the allocation system but although the list is quite long I think you can probably get to the top of the list quite quickly, some must get injured or just don't want to run it.  Surely LP has a GFA time?   I saw on FB this morning that Torbay's system is to only allocate their club place to someone who has never run the VLM before, that is a very good idea, encourages the newer runners.

You'll see I've just updated the marathon list, you really like your lakes don't you?   You know the one at Nottingham is round the Water Sports lake, I think it's a mile round so 26 laps and it blows a gale there!   It was part of the Robin Hood marathon course and we used to be there at 20+ miles.   Pancake flat, it's a manmade lake.

edit...I just looked at the website, I can't work out how many laps of the lake you do, is it 9 laps, each lap 2.8 miles+ a bit more on the first lap?  That could be a lot tougher as much longer stretches into the wind, hope it's a calm day.   Love the idea of turkey and cranberry baguette at the finish :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - I think there are going to be a lot of clubs moaning about the loss of a place in VLM.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    A lot better thank you, rode my bike to work today for the first time this week which was lovely ? less stressful than driving and planning to try 5k tonight if dry, not sure if it's gone on my chest or not. Coughing occasionally but nothing major so open mind tonight. Not following plan at moment so relaxed ? 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-It's only really this year I've even considered having a chance of gfa,always thought it was way out of my league,it still might be but I'm going to give it my best shot,even if I don't get into London I know I'll be improving myself and my fitness and that's what this is all about.
    Speaking of which I've finally started exercises again today  :'(
    I may aswell put everything I can into it and this is a big part missing.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, not sure about LP.   She is definitely GFA, but not sure if she's actually ran the race?  Maybe she wanted to run it with her husband, or something like that, or maybe she is worried she'll lose her GFA by that time.  If she claims her GFA and runs it, then she'll then be off the list I think.

I just quite liked the look of that Nottingham one :)  I've reread it all again and I hadn't realised how big the event was (1500 across the distances I think - around 300 marathon runners).  Should be good, hopefully.  I've booked some accommodation at the race HQ as it's a kind of big sports complex with rooms for "athletes" (ahem!), so I'm hoping there will be lots of runners milling around the night before.

Good idea from Torbay, and I agree there's no easy way to allocate the places.  Someone will always be unhappy, whatever is decided.

I did a 7-miler this morning.  Sunny, but cold.  I felt really heavy/ploddy today for some reason so can't say I overly enjoyed it.

Ian, good on you for giving it everything!  I have to say my strength/exercise regime leaves a lot to be desired....
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Not sure if you needed more shoes but here's some guide 9's for £57 https://m.startfitness.co.uk/saucony-guide-9-womens-running-shoes-blue-s10295-3.html
    They had another colour aswell.
    I'm just on my way to get a pair of 10's from runners need for £57.50 
    Couldn't resist at that price.
  • Options
    Big G- yes I believe the Berlin ballot results are out from next week so fingers crossed we are successful. If you don't mind me asking what hotel did you book. I have had a look at some already and as Shades has already said better to book up early and in the event I can't  run I have promised the O/H we will still go and have the weekend away.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steven, I've booked a place called Pension Brinn. It's central and looks easy enough to get to/from the race start/finish. I've never been to Berlin so don't know where is best, but that place got good reviews and was reasonably priced. 
  • Options
    Big G- thanks, I've looked at some from the hotel part of the Berlin marathon website mostly with a distance of about 1km from start/finish. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - glad you are feeling better, it's going to get quite cold over next few days so don't overdo the running.

Ian - don't overdo the number of reps of your exercises just build the number up gradually, if you set too high a number of reps you'll hate doing them and are more likely to lapse.

Big G - the Water Sports Centre is a lovely place, actually I like Nottingham too.   But just be aware the lake is very open and if breezy a strong chill factor, so pack a lot of kit.  Yes, I saw that they had a lot of runners, most are half marathon and the shorter distances, you wouldn't want to do a marathon with 1500 runners on that course ;)

Maybe LP just wants to stay on the list, until her OH is near enough to get a place and then she could get another GFA time and run with him.

Ian - thanks for the link for the shoes but not in my size.   I did have an email from Runners Need about the Guide 10's, great price but only in pink at that price so not for me.   I'm OK at the moment, have enough shoes for racing for most of 2018, yesterday I would have said the whole of 2018 but now that I'm maybe going to do the 24 hour race I'd hope to try and get near 90 miles, that's a lot of shoe wear in on event :D

steven - that's great that your OH is happy to join you in your travels, with or without a marathon.   Good luck with the ballot.

I see DD 2018 is full and they've set up a transfer list.   I hope this time next year if will be full of Shadies :)

• Options
    Shades- thanks, yeah my O/H comes to every event I enter of course if there is good shops where the event is she will spend all the time shopping. That's one reason I try and get p/b the faster I ran the less money she spends of mine. ? 
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Haha steven good motivation!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Got my new guides,these are blue/purple so i can keep the mileage separate from my others.
    Steven-Good idea about the OH to Berlin,great time to be had either way.
    I'm doing the same to gran canaria except the wife has decided to do the 10k for her first ever race.
    Easy 8 miles to christen the new shoes,feels comfortable now at my new paces and my heart rate is relatively good at them so that bodes well