Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Small rant time..
    I have read lots today about the change in club places for London,on 1 thing I was reading a guy got hammered for basically saying "stop moaning,put the effort in and get a gfa"  lots of people saying oh that's too hard,I can never do that,I don't have time etc etc.
    I agree with him,it might be hard for a lot of people(including me),hence the gfa name,but if you really want something you should be willing to put the effort in.I was 3 stone overweight,no exercise in 20 years,work 48 hrs a week(plus 50 min each way)married so lots of excuses people were using but I've decided to do something about it and give it my best shot.I might well never achieve it but I know damn well I will have tried my best If I fail,I even do hill loops for gods sake  :D
    People have choices in life,I used to follow football up and down the country,I chose to stop when we had the kids and I'm going a lot less now as I'm choosing to spend some of that time running instead, so choose what you want most in life.
    According to my records I have averaged about 6 hrs a week this year running and that's got me into a position where I have a chance,I could fit more in but that time gives me a great family balance also and again that's my choice,if I fitted in 8 hrs then I would probably get it but I choose not to,I'm sure most people could find 6 hrs if they really wanted to, so for everyone who thinks it's too far to get gfa,then listen to an old, not quite as fat as he used to be man it's really not if you decide you want it and are willing to put the work in.
    Rant over  :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I agree with you.  It proper pi$$es me off too.

I have a mate who is really unfit, and he has two young kids and he is always making excuses for not losing a bit of weight and getting a bit fitter.  I know it's obviously not easy, but in his case he spends so much time faffing about on his PlayStation I can't help but think "get out and do something!".

As a matter of interest, where are you seeing these comments?  I may go and take a look ;)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-It was on a running discussion group on Facebook,I'm not on Facebook but a mate showed me it earlier and asked what I thought.For me it's all about choices,and if people choose to sit around then that's fine it's their choice but don't moan when they don't get what they want.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I promise this is true, but the mate I just said doesn't do much exercise.  He just texted me this:

"This isn't a typo but I'm currently waiting to go into a pilates class.  I'll let you know how i get on....eek!"

I wished him luck and then he said:

"
    It took some persuading by Gayle (his wife).  It was either this or salad for tea!".
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    With being over weight and exercise, it's really hard to have the self belief and get into exercise, speaking from experience. I've been a yo-yo dieter and battled the self esteem issues most of my adult life not always weight related. I ended up a runner by default and now it's part of me but not everyone gets it. I guess working towards GFA it depends on how bad you want it. I want my sub 4 and
    DD without dying and I'm prepared to put in the graft. GFA would be nice but I do feel blessed for getting a Ballot place. 
  • Options
    Flat tyre tonight on way to taking my son to football so had to order him an Uber, walk home and abandon the car and miss track! Hoping can get a run in tomorrow instead.

Big G/Ian, I agree re the moaning VLM rejectors! It always sounds as if most of them are non runners, who will only train once they get a ballot place as some of the comments are things like ‘that’s my 20th rejection in a row!’. I’d rather a system like Boston as I think that when you have people hobbling around in 6 hrs + it devalues the achievement of running a marathon. But as you say, VLM can run it however they want.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steven - one year at the Duchy marathon a fellow club member discovered that while he had been running the marathon his wife had been shopping and squeezed into the back of their estate car was a dining room table.  He was quite surprised!

Ian - it didn't take you long to settle into your new paces, and your new shoes.
    That's great that your wife is doing her first race in GC :)

Great post about moaning about GFA places.  You are absolutely right.  If somebody really wants to achieve a goal then they can do that, if they can't achieve a GFA (and there are some that can't) then they can get a charity place but they won't put the work in to raise the money.  If you suggest they pay the money themselves from savings or take a part time job to raise the money they look at you in horror.  I get emails from some of these losers (and that's all I can call them) saying can they have a copy of my training plan and they'd like to run a sub 2:45 marathon using my plan.  You can't run a sub 2:45 marathon on 3 runs a week, 30 miles a week.  As soon as I say for those sort of times you need to be looking at 70+ miles a week they just sulk.

You are a great example of what can be achieved with hard work and careful balance of your family and work life.

Jelly - you too have turned your life around and look what you've achieved too.  And as with Ian you're not finished yet there's a whole range of races/goals that are before you.

Big G - ha ha at your friend, his poor wife.   If he came to my Pilates class on a Thursday we have a lady who is in her mid 80's, doesn't need to use the wall for any balance work and still rides a motorbike.   She's a tough cookie and works hard to keep her fitness as she loves going out on the motorbike.

SK - oh no, with the flat tyre, hope the car is all sorted now.

I agree, some folk for some bizarre reason think they have a right to get a marathon place at London.  I suppose the same attitude thinking they have a right to everything without getting off their lazy a*** to work for it.

How's the foot?

Rest day for me today, I am feeling better today too RHR back to normal, was a little raised yesterday.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Ian, it's quite a popular phrase these days, but it's a sense of entitlement that some of the people have.  There's a chap in our club who went totally over the top, in my view, about not getting a ballot place; it had the tone of a sulky teen really.  Basically it could have been summarised as "I want to do the London marathon therefore I should be allowed to".   I know I am saying this having done it this year and I know I am lucky to have got in, but even so it's always been my thought that London can do as they please.

Anyway, I'm off to Vienna today!  Whoo hoo!  It's only a short trip as with the flight times I'm only really there two full days, so I'm not taking my running stuff.  I'm going with the WAY lot, and some are already there as a few went to Budapest for a few days first.  Looking forward to it :)  It's a new city for me, and it's famous for its coffee and cakes, which suits me just fine :)  Also, the Xmas markets are supposed to be very good, so I don't think I'll starve....

I offered to organise a meal for the Saturday night and I came across a place called Bierhof (which has quite a few beers available) so that's what I've booked for 20 people.  About 10 others are going to see a Mozart concert, but that's not my thing really, so I offered to set up a "splinter group" for a meal if people didn't want to see the concert, but we'll all meet up later in the evening.

I had to get out my copy of The Third Man (classic British film with Orson Welles, 1949) as it was shot in Vienna.  I'm really looking forward to it :)   

So no writing of press reports this week, as another club mate is doing that for me this weekend.  My write up about Cornish Marathon got into the paper with a pic of ET who won the FV55 category.  Annoyingly though, the paper made *two* typos on the small caption on the photo I sent in - "ET was the firs FV55 runner in the Cornish Marathn"......grrrr!.  Hopeless they are!

I think the other local paper will be promoting the awards ceremony (the paper are sponsors), which will be published today.  The ceremony is a week today, so something else to look forward to.  I really hope I win the category, but we'll see!  There are 5 of us from the club going, and I'm taking a +1, so it should be a good evening hopefully.  It's my birthday that day too, so will be a great present if I do manage to win the category.  It's not common knowledge yet, but I've decided to step down from the press role after the next AGM in February so regardless of if I win or not, it'll be a nice time to step aside and let someone else take the reins.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well I hope that guy in your club doesn't get a London place until he's grown up a bit, silly fool.

Lucky you off to Vienna, I spent a couple of days there and it was lovely, but cold.   Their marathon is on my to do list, the finish is up an elegant street with Strauss music playing and has been recommended by friends.

I didn't notice the tiny typo on ET's pic, but the pic does look really good.  The HE are useless aren't they?
    Nice pic of you in the MDA too.

I guess all your marathon running is maybe getting in the way of your Press Officer role, but it is a demanding role, every week of the year so I can understand that you want to have a rest from it...disappearing with your award tucked under your arm, I hope :)

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian - I agree when people say they really want to run London but don't do anything about it then it's kind of their own fault. I appreciate there will be exceptions, but I would think most people can either raise circa £2k for a charity place as a one off, or put the training in to get a GFA time. Though in both cases it is quite a commitment.

Big G - have fun in Vienna and good luck at your awards. I'd probably choose pilates rather than salad for tea as well!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Bad news on the tyre and missing track because of it.
    Big G-Enjoy Vienna,hope you have a great time and win the award next week.Great timing about your mate ending up at Pilates,maybe his wife read what you'd put on here  :D
    Shades-It will be interesting if I can still hold the paces,while not increasing the effort too much as I get to the 20's.I have 4x20's planned in before GC,then after 2 weeks easy another 4 planned in before Manchester so hoping I will be sued to them by then.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - it isn't easy raising £2k+ or getting a GFA.  I know someone who arranged with a charity to obtain a place 2 years before the race to give her more time to fundraise as she's quite timid, first year she did stuff like washing cars, selling cakes, car boot sales, second year she did the sponsorship and ended up with nearly £5k.   It did mean she could do the training without worrying about making the £2k threshold in the last few months up to the race.

Ian - yes, when you get to the 20's don't push yourself too hard, just back off if it's not there that day on the long run, all still good training.

I've never shopped on Black Friday before but have just placed an order for some kit, got a couple of really good bargains.   Stayed away from the shoes though. o:)

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades, I didn't say it is easy, but I think a lot of the people who moan about never getting a place could do it as a one off, if it was important to them.
  • Options
    Think I just got a new pair of Saucony Guide 10's at a good price  :#

I have two pair of 9's which have done me really well but one pair have nearly 500 miles on them and have ripped at the toe. The second pair have gone moldy  :/
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah it was a bit odd sending the papers a pic of myself!  I hardly ever do that but as it wasn't as hideous as mine usually are I thought I'd send it in. It's a sea of Trotters Royal Blue today - they published a lot of the pics I sent. 

Regarding giving up the role, it's quite tight timescales with the papers these days, especially the Herald. Usually it's fine, but sometimes when I'm back from a marathon (especially after a drive home) I don't always feel like doing the report. Another reason is that often I feel I'm reporting old news. In the club, PBs, club records and pics are on Facebook really quickly, so it's kind of playing catch up a bit.  I do enjoy it though, but I've done it for a while now (over two separate stints) so with the award nomination it seems the right time to step down. 

I'll still do the Club Champs and committee role though, assuming I get re-elected at the next AGM. 

Arrived at the airport and in the bar. Flying from Birmingham today and the traffic and journey were fine.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB,the guide 10's are great shoes,debating getting another pair while they are so cheap but reckon the OH will give me earache.
    20 done today,wasn't too bad,pretty windy still though so splits were all over the place,still exactly in the middle of my target range so happy with that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - No, it's not easy the charity route but as a one off it's achievable.   There's nothing worse than the same people hounding you for money for charity.

OTB - great news on the bargain Guide 10's.   I'm on my 2nd pair of Guide 9's and love them and have another unworn pair in the wardrobe.    My last pair were ruined by a stone that cut a hole into heel counter, they still have some mileage left in them. I'm trying to work out how to patch the hole so I can use them for training.  You can just see the bit cut out by the stone, at ideas on how I could patch it are very welcome.

Where did you leave your shoes that they went mouldy? :#

Big G - I know the deadline for the HE must be tight as I have mine delivered late Tuesday night and it's a big paper to print.

I like Birmingham airport.

Ian - tough doing 20 in windy weather.

I might have to have a look at the Guide 10's then, but the price will be good after Xmas too I expect.

mamafox - good luck for your marathon on Sunday, I know you're leaving tomorrow by train or BMW ;) , hope that hip doesn't cause you any pain.

• Options
    Ian - that’s a great deal on the Guide 10s but like Shades, I’d rather not have pink shoes. I think there’ll be more deals on the 10s now as the latest Guides are now on sale (not Guide 11s, but Guide ISO!) I know hardly any women runners who opt for pink stuff, I think it’s really lazy of companies to just make a pink version of the men’s model.

Big G - have a fab weekend in Vienna.

Shades - foot not getting worse but is still ‘niggling’. Running doesn’t seem to make any difference to it, the only thing which seems to aggravate it is standing for a long time and sometimes walking for a longish time. But it’s more discomfort than pain. Did 5 miles today in the sunshine which was fine and I have a (mainly off road) 10k on Sunday. Have my club awards night tonight which is good fun but can sometimes go on a bit long!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is tough running in the wind,a lot of it is not worrying when my time slips running into it,it's easy to say ignore it and run to feel but when I'm aiming for 8.30's and see a 9 it's hard,but luckily today i managed to ignore it knowing I'd get most of the time back later and effort wise kept it pretty similar.
    SK-Expect to see pics of your trophies on here  :)

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Ian I know the feeling, had that problem on my run on Tuesday. I find I struggle to get my breathing right sometimes too when it's really windy and get a stitch. But mainly I find it difficult when it's really blustery as you can't keep a consistent stride pattern (well not with a consistent effort anyway).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - I thought you wouldn't mind the pink colour for your shoes.   But it's annoying that in the sale nearly all the women's shoes are pink, I even emailed Brooks about it last year and said I'd stopped buying the GTS as every women's model had some pink on them and they'd sell more if they offered alternative colours.

So what difference is the Guide ISO from the previous Guides?

That's good news on the foot, maybe stronger inserts in your non running shoes might help?

Ian's right, we want to see your awards, better clear some space on the mantelpiece :)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/SK-Surely the fact they are having to put the pink shoes in the sale to shift them shows that they aren't that popular.Just had a quick look and none of my wife's shoes are pink either,purple seems to be the most common colour.I hadn't actually got round to entering Manchester yet,and I got a Friday email off them offering me £10 off so entered that now aswell.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think the shoe companies make the shops take a range of colours and sizes, that's why the pink and size 3 and 4 are always in the sale in the women's.   I usually take a 7 and that is supposed to be the most popular size, logic would say order more 7's but I have a feeling that's not the way the deals are done.  I expect in the men's it's the same, more extreme sizes are in the sale, popular sizes sell out.  

Good deal on Manchester entry especially as you were going to enter anyway. :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The guides I got yesterday had nearly all male sizes on offer,I'm 10.5 which must be about normal and got them no problems.Only the 1 colour though but I was happy with it.
    I've found a boxing day 10k so probably going to enter that for a time trial before GC,not the same as a half but it will give me an idea of how it's going.
    Speaking to the coach on weds and he had a look at my plan for me,the only thing he said he would change is midweek have a 10 mile run,2 w/u 6 hmp 2 c/d to build speed endurance.i'm thinking after GC to replace my track session with this for the 10 weeks before Manchester.Would you say this is a good idea?

• Options
    Shades - I can’t resist a bargain so have bought pink shoes before, but I’d always opt for an alternative! There are some Boston Boosts for £34 in M&M direct but in pink. :(

I think I’ll just get one trophy tonight, for winning the Summer League (10k races). I didn’t do the XC last year and only did one T&F event. We have a big trophy for a series of races which form a club championship. I think I’ve done 8 of a possible 10 races (and been 1st lady from the club for all those). But the way the points work, the trophy always goes to the person who has done all 10 races. Fair enough really, but this tends to favour those without any family plus means some runners do these races with injuries and hobble round, just to get the points!
  • Options
    Ian,Shades- totally agree with you about people feeling they have an automatic right to run London without any effort. To run it in 2012 I could only get a place through a charity place, didn't raise enough and paid about £900 of my own money so I could run it. I know people can't  just pay large amounts of money however I was desperate to run it and did not want to let the charity down. If people desperately want to run it then they should put the effort in and stop moaning about not getting a ballot place.

OTB, Ian- I also bought the Guide 10''s at a great price.
    Big G- enjoy Vienna looks a fantastic place.

6 miles for me this afternoon, it was quite cold when I started with next to no wind when roughly a mile into the run it started snowing I couldn't believe it. Snowed for about 2 miles and I have to say I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, sorry for lack of posts but this week has been a bit mad. 

Shades - Glad you had a good marathon at Cornwall and lol at you being overtaken by that pasty.. ha! Also extremely good news that your hip doesn't seem to be bothering you.

Big G - Well done on another sub 4 - when you were even dithering over whether to race! Lovely photo too, you all look so relaxed and happy (must have been taken in the first km!)
    Enjoy Vienna. I'm imagining you in one of those furry hats with ears on with a beer in your hand  :) 

OTB - Great result from you, really well done and a fab base to go from  :) 

Jelly - Why are you in a metal box? Have I missed something everyone else knows?

SteveMac - I am wildly jealous of you going to do the NY marathon. How wonderful.

SK - Sounds as if that foot problem is bearable. Hope you come home groaning with your (deserved) trophies.

So sorry if I've forgotten anything as you wouldn't believe how disorganised I am. We are supposed to be leaving (by train Shades.. BMW is taboo subject here) tomorrow morning - I've got the children farmed out in different places as they've all got different things planned and have yet to sort the animals out. Bloody chaos.
    Anyway, on a running note I've tentatively tried two 10k runs - yesterday and Wednesday, as my hip is feeling a bit better. It is still a niggle but a distant one. Not sure how it will bear up over the long distance though. Can't believe I'm going to be running a marathon after 3 weeks of doing a big fat nothing apart from a half 2 weeks ago. God knows what will happen. Think I'll start out at easy pace, try and crank it up a bit and see if I can stay there. We'll see.. should be interesting!
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I work in a flower kiosk at our local Trago, basically it's a step up from market stall not as warm as a shop. Got Kettle and Microwave so life's good. Sorry didn't explain very well. 
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Big G - have a great time in Vienna.

mamafox - good luck for your marathon.

Did a slow 6mls today - including walking warm up and a phone call from my brother in the middle. Chilly to start, but lovely and sunny. Squirrels everywhere  :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, a good 10km race will give you the feedback you need pre marathon on your speed.

That's a good session your club coach has suggested, it will be tough if you've had a long day at work, but a good replacement to the track session coming up to the marathon.   I hope you'll still be doing your hill work though ;)

SK - I looked at M & M direct yesterday, they have a lot of running shoes, particularly Adidas on offer but so many are pink.   I can't buy Adidas as I'm not sure what model would suit me, so unless I can get along to a running shop to try a load on I can't buy them.   I don't think you'd find cheaper for those Boost though.

Hope the awards nights went well.

steven - good for you making up the charity money with your own, if only everyone else was so honourable. I believe the charities have to be stricter these days and I've heard that they take credit card details as they've been stung by so many folk before not raising the funds.   
    When I did the 10 in 10 at Brathay we had to raise £2k each and the charity were going to feed us and give us accommodation and look after us for 12 days, there was one in our lot that didn't bother to raise even £1k, and the year after I think they had another one or two that didn't bother to raise the minimum amount either.  So after that they had to charge for the accommodation and food in the form of an entry fee, which was only fair.   I promised the charity that I would make up any shortfall myself if I couldn't raise the £2k.   Thankfully due to the generosity of a lot of RW forumites and Fetchies I reached my target. 

Another Shadie wearing Guides...we should be able to get bulk discount :)

Snow :o lovely to run in when it's fresh.

Jelly - must be cold in the winter though in your metal box :'(

mamafox - well that's promising news about your hip, you've done well to recover from that in a short time so I hope it behaves itself during your marathon.   Have a good journey today (best not to mention the BMW, I guess) and I hope you enjoy the marathon.

mowzer - I'll put you on the DD 2019 list as you haven't responded to my suggestion in horror ;)

Very cold and a bit frosty here, I can see the pavements are a bit icy so I'll have to delay my run until later.