Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-Hope the weather's not too bad for you up there.
    Shades-Yes I'll still be doing hills  :'(
    In the new year they start doing shorter track reps and I'm not really interested in them so it's a great time to change my schedule.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian  - you love those hills really ;)   I can see why you'd want an alternative to short track stuff.

Just found out that a friend of mine is doing Marathon Des Sables Peru, starting tomorrow, 250km in 6 days across the Ica Desert.  First time this event has been done, they have to carry everything with them including food and cooking stuff.  

http://www.marathondessables.com/en/marathon-des-sables-peru

After all talk of Vienna, I've pencilled the race into my calendar for 2019 :)

• Shades - not sure what the ISO offers above and beyond what the Guide already has, but I did read somewhere that it’s actually a bit heavier than the 10, so it must offer something.

Mamafox - good luck for tomorrow. I really hope the hip behaves itself and you have an enjoyable run.

My son, Max (11) managed a parkrun PB today after not running for a month - 20:51! And I managed to equal my Poole time (18:57), so very pleased.

Last night’s bling...
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Hope you had a seat near the front or that would have been a session in itself.Well done.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done SK, that's quite a haul and very well deserved.   Great parkrun times for you and Max too today.
  • SK- very nice trophey haul.
    Ian- we certainly get our share of bad weather up here, to be fair probably not much worse than elsewhere in Britain. 
  • mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    SK - that's brilliant  :). You'll have to clear a large space on your mantlepiece!

Shades - you can pencil me in so you can rub me out again  ;)  
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I had the most awful run ? this morning, I walked the last mile. I felt sick and dizzy like that feeling you get when you haven't eaten.  Managed 8 miles no problem apart from passing some horses ? not good with large four legged animals. The last two miles wheels well and truly fell off, the group I was with were good as gold, one even carried on to get car ? to get me. It might be left over virus from last weekend or the fact I had readybrek with banana and not weetabix and banana.  I've never felt as a bad as  I did today.  Will need to put my big girl pants on for next run.  On plus side found some good DD training hills.
  • Jelly - I wouldn’t worry over one bad run, it’s most likely that your body is still a bit weak from your virus. Best to put it behind you and move on to the next run. I had a weird run on Tuesday night with my club. 3 miles in I felt a bit light headed and really craved some Percy Pigs (!) or chocolate. I really thought I’d have to stop at a shop or something. Not sure whether I hadn’t eaten enough or whether it was my mind just being greedy! I’d take the next run nice and easy, but maybe put a couple of jelly babies or something similar in your pocket - I often do this whenever I’m running more than about 8 miles, just so I know I’ve got something if I feel light headed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mowzer said:

Shades - you can pencil me in so you can rub me out again  ;)  
    Right, I'll put you on the list for now ;)

Jelly - SK is right, most likely after effects of your virus. it's only a few days ago you were quite poorly and it can take a while to recover fully.   Do you check your RHR on waking?  What you ate for breakfast (choice of cereal) would have made no difference.  But you need to ease up a bit until you are 100%.

Plenty of DD type hills around here and they will wait until you are better :o

Just waiting until it gets light to go for my run, cold night and we've had rain but don't think it's frozen here.

• Out this morning for a 10 mile run. It was cold with everywhere covered in frost, the good thing was it forced me to take it easy.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies, though I'm not marathon training at the moment I still catch up on this thread from time to time to see how others are doing, mostly pretty good by the looks things. I'm still running and have a bit more time as work has changed quite dramatically, my seasonal gardening contract ended and all of us on those contracts were laid off. So I've joined the ranks of the self unemployed! What I mean is I have some counselling work, which is what I used to do, but on a self employed basis, which is ok, I was fortunate enough to be offered something straight away. So a whole new adventure begins at the age of 57! I'm rather hoping I can combine this work with a couple of days gardening but who knows, I'll just have to wait and see what turns up. At the moment working a few days here and there is very nice but I'll need to do a bit more than that in the new year! At the moment it's nice to be able to get out and run during the day.
    I'm waffling on, I must have too much time on my hands!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back jugula,hope work picks up for you soon.
    Easy 5 miles after work to complete another 50 this week,bit of a lighter week as I have a club race on Sunday.5.5 miles is a weird distance so a new pb is guaranteed.
  • Good to have you back, Jugula. Sounds like you have a few options on the job front so hope you can get some regular hours in the new year.

Off road 10k race today which was fun. A fairly hilly route but not too much mud.  Finished in 42:49 and was 1st lady. At one point in the final mile, there was a fork and me and 2 guys ran to the left. The Marshall screamed ‘left, left’ and we were a bit confused, but she kept yelling. So one of the guys said ‘do you mean right?’ And she then took a few seconds to realise that yes, she meant right! But luckily we probably only lost about 15 secs and 2nd lady was still 30 secs behind us. Foot was fine, it’s actually better off road. The running club who organise the race had loads of food for afterwards and I got a nice trophy and a £20 voucher for a running shop. Plus all finishers got a beanie hat which made a nice change from a t shirt. OH ran it too and actually managed a 10k PB which was impressive on that course.

Any news of MF?
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Just a quick message from my phone, we’re still in La Rochelle and getting the train back later.

Jugula - Lovely to see you. You sound quite happy with your new work situation, hope you find the extra hours.

SK - That is some haul of trophies.. and you added to it again yesterday! Well done on your win, brilliant! Not even PF slowed you down.

As for me yesterday went.. um.. pretty well, sort of. On a positive note my hip, tendon, foot etc etc were all fine. My hip started to niggle a bit and by 12k was really starting to complain, then, unbelievably, just went. Couldn’t believe my good luck.. what’s  all that about then? Started off pretty slowly then built up to around 5m/km and was holding this fairly easily and managed the half faster than Cognac two weeks ago. 
    Then disaster struck.
    My HR dropped quickly from about 165 to 100 and I felt a bit light headed and odd. I faffed around getting a sweet out of my pocket and, not sure why exactly, ended up falling flat on my face in the middle of one of the cobblestone streets in the old town. I came down with a real whack but scrabbled up again (with the support of some lovely guys around me) and carried on. My knee was killing me and I could feel the blood trickling down my leg but decided not to stop and look. Even worse, I glanced at my Garmin and to my horror realised I’d completely smashed the screen and so had no idea of my pacing. Nightmare nightmare nightmare. I had no choice, just kept going on feel but I was all over the place. I glanced briefly down and my leg and realized the blood had run down into my shoe and also sprayed my other leg. However, it wasn’t hurting so much so I just kept going.
    To cut a long story short I continued to run on feel and knew I was slowing a bit around the 30/36k but kept going and tried not to think about blood etc. I crossed the line in 3h38, which, all things considered, I was quite pleased with. I got my medal, saw OH over the barrier and hobbled off to the first aid tent to ask them for a plaster.
    I’d actually got quite a big hole in my knee, they couldn’t do anything, called the marathon dr, he couldn’t do anything so I ended up being taken in an ambulance (with sirens to get through the crowds.. that’s a first!) to hospital where I had to have 4 stitches in my knee.

Anyway, the race itself was great, will write more when home. To end on a positive note I also have an excellent excuse for not doing one of Shades’ dreaded recovery runs this morning!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jugula - lovely to hear from you and catch up on your news.   Work wise you sound happy and if you get a bit of gardening work then that's a good balance.

SK - well done on your race win, great running.   That marshal deserves a slap, shouting right when she knew she meant left :o

mamafox - well done that's a really good time especially when you had such a nasty fall, you were really brave to carry on and finish so well.   Bad luck with the Garmin too, maybe a new one for Xmas perhaps?
    But great news that your hip pain is history and no other problems with tendon etc.

I hope you're not injured apart from the nasty cut and you are let off your recovery run today ;)   Can you walk OK?  It must be really sore. 

Weather has turned milder overnight, much better for running today no need to worry about ice.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Shades if the marshal has dyslexia, she will find it hard to identify left and right as I have the same difficulty. It's not just reading and writing it affects memory and word recall.  If I was to get abuse off runners while Marshalling. I wouldn't volunteer again so hope this didn't happen to her/him. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - but if they're marshalling then they shouldn't be at a point on the course where they can't give clear instructions.  And if possible should not be verbal instructions but by pointing in the correct direction, marshals should know that some runners could have impaired hearing or not understand English.

I would be furious if a marshal sent me the wrong way and would lodge a serious complaint with the race organiser.  If it was the marshal's fault I would expect an apology directly from them and the race organiser too.

• Mamafafox, that’s an amazing time, especially given your dipping HR, hip and fall! Well done! The knee must be bad to need stitches so definitely don’t do a recover very run. Annoying re the Garmin, I don’t suppose they can repair the screen, can they? 

Shades/Jelly - it wasn’t really a big deal re the marshal (although I would have probably felt differently if the 2nd lady had been closer behind!) It was a lovely race, organised by a local club and I wouldn’t complain about anyone who’s given up their time for free to stand in the cold. I think as a rule, well placed arrow signs often mean you don’t need so many marshals. There’s a local parkrun that uses arrow
    signs and has zero marshals, so never struggles to fill the volunteer rota!
  • MF - That's an excellent time considering your fall and HR issue! Shame about the Garmin and hope the knee is OK after the stitches.
    Ian - That 10 mile session sounds a bit like a P&D LT workout, will be tough but good training.
    SK - Great Parkrun time for you an your son, nice trophy haul too!

Not much here, but got my first double digit run in since Great South Run, 10 miles. Was coughing my way around for the first couple of miles, but then was OK.
  • NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    MF - hope you are ok, sounds like quite a nasty fall and a bit scary that you don't know why it happened. Amazing time considering all that!

SK - congrats on the win, presume that was the race put on by my club? Really good time on that course, I reckon it's worth at least 2-3 mins compared to a flat route. So even more impressive that your OH managed a PB! I may investigate what happened with the directions, probably just someone facing the runners and briefly got confused between "my" left and "your" left haha.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - that's good that the marshal's confusion didn't cause any problems.  It's a bit of a disaster when it does happen and a real shame for the runners that are misdirected or then lose places.   Trouble with arrows, sometimes low life will change them around to cause mayhem.

Steve - you've really had that cough/virus for a long time.  Good that it seems to finally be clearing up. 

Nick - maybe you should have been marshalling for your club in that spot ;)

• mamafox  :o 
    Incredible that you kept going. Hope you recover quickly with no long last niggles, sounds quite a fall especially as it destroyed your Garmin. Very impressed you still finished in 3hr 38. It is very motivating for me to read a story like yours, shows what the body is capable of if you put your mind to it.

Shades - A second trial week of the plan has returned some better results for me. Really starting to get into the swing of it.
    Tue - 5 miles easy (9:43min/mile Weather assisted)
    Wed - No Run Weather too bad
    Thurs - 7 miles slightly too fast (8:50min/mile)
    Sat - 3 miles Parkrun tempo (7:22min/mile)
    Sun - 10 miles easy (9:29min/miles)
    Total mileage 25 miles

This week will be a 3rd trial/extra week before hitting week 1 of the plan next Monday. I plan to do another 25-27 miles this week with another 10 mile long run on Sunday.

Official week 1 of the plan is also at 26 miles with a 10 mile long run. Should I stick to that or should I tweak the mileage up based on the 3 pre-week's I have done at similar mileages?
  • Nick - I’d forgotten that was your club (always get the Joggers and Harriers confused). Were you not running? No need to follow up the marshal thing - it didn’t affect any positions plus I’m sure the lady was gutted enough when she realised! It’s the kind of thing I’d do as I have no sense of direction! OH was v pleased with the time and was also really impressed with your club - v friendly and great food! And the beanie hats are great :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    SK-Well done on yet another trophy,you'll need an extra room soon.
    OTB-That looks like a very good week's training there,putting a great base in.
    Steve-Hope you're firing again soon,maybe all the effort you put in recently has left you weak,hence the longer than recovery time.
    Mama-Only idiots fall in a race  :D Obviously I'm a double idiot after my mishaps last year.
    I'm so impressed you carried on and finished in a very good time,pity about the garmin but hope you're fit and well soon.
    Wish I didn't have a quick look at runners need,they've not got an extra 10% off today so Guide 10s are now £51,might have to take a bit of earache off the wife  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - I'm glad that you're settling into the training so well.  You can certainly tweak the mileage up a bit for the next week if you want to, but try and keep those paces down ;)

Ian - it is so so easy to fall over in a race, it can happen to anyone.   A friend of mine fell over a short distance into the Connemara marathon a couple of years ago and broke her arm, had to be carted off to the hospital.  The RD gave her a free entry in the race next year.

Received my order from Start Fitness today, very promptly, they enclosed some leaflets which I was going to throw away but ended up looking at one which seems to be a sub site of Start Fitness and has a selection of the cheaper stuff.  I've been looking for a pair of arm warmers in red to match my club vest and they had a pair for £2, ended up ordering a top and a pair of thermal tights and some socks too.  They do have some jackets at very good prices, but I resisted.  20% off your first order too.

https://www.sportssize.com/

• NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    SK I'm sure it's easy to get them confused, there's a fair few people who are members of both and also the Watford Half is the Harriers' race but the Joggers provide the marshals. Before my time but I gather the two clubs shared the same facilities at some point in their history.

I wasn't there, we seem to be busy doing something pretty much every weekend at the moment. Also it's the main time I see my daughter so unless I can bring the family along I tend not to do much weekend running.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Since my falls last year I've been so careful but,especially at the start,in a lot of the shorter races I could easily have had a mishap if I didn't look around as so many don't look so easy to have an accident.
    I'm after a new jacket so may have a look there.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Club session tonight,it was a different hill loop,up a steady incline about 300mtrs,then down hill recovery of 500,then back up 500 and down the 300,did 3 reps so a good session.With the run there and back it came to about 10 miles so decent start to the week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'm always uneasy at the start of a race until there's a bit of space, it's worse in a race that allows headphones as you have to be careful of those wearing them as they have no spatial awareness and often dash in front of other runners.

That is a tough session for a Monday especially with your run to and from club.

Cold but not cold enough for frost here, wind has dropped, had a nice run except my ears were cold so better dig out a headband for my next run.