Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Shades-I misread that story about Wolverhampton and thought they were losing the half aswell.
    Decided to take today as a rest day,legs were more sore than I thought they'd be so rested instead.
    I've been looking at my plans leading into Manchester and have a few options for a HM before it,would you suggest 2,3 or 4 weeks before is the best time for it.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Iain did they give you a reason why, was it because of the low carb diet.  Find these body test really interesting. 
  • Options
    Jelly - no is not due to the low carb. There could be a number of things that can influence it.  My cortisol levels could be too high or I could have thyroid issues I don't know about. What had become clear is I don't get anywhere enough sleep at night to completely revitalise my body so it's permanently in a fight or flight mode. Im going to dig deeper to find out the root cause. They did say that I'm being hindered by my own body so I could potentially be alot faster. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - is the Dinton race in Reading or is it Harrow?  I know they have races in both.  I'm going to do Wrexham in March, no I don't want any mud, thank you :'(

Cheese is quite safe to leave in the car even in hot weather so that's usually what I take.  I was going to experiment sometime with making a Spanish tortilla and take it in a cool bag for breakfast, you could make an egg and bacon one ;)   If having cereal/muesli I take cold milk in a flask.  I always take cake :)

I just realised your race this weekend was on Saturday, hope the weather will be OK for driving up there, looks like it's going to be a cold marathon too.

Re the LDWA events, I only ever chose the events with narrative instructions for most of those you don't need a map.  Sometimes they tell you to have the map but the maps I bought I never used anyway so were a waste of money.  Usually the instructions are really good you just have to make sure you follow them carefully so there can be a lot of stop/starting run/walking which is why the events are such good long run/ultra training.

Yes, I agree nice feature on Dewi.  I'm quite impressed with Frankfurt marathon, I couldn't see a UK marathon doing such a nice write up on an overseas athlete who had done well in their race.

I too hope Mo has never cheated but who knows he may have been lured into taking stuff without realising it, he's not that bright.  Might explain his long absences from here and racing at times, too risky re testing.  Anyway his new coach should keep him in order.   I think he'll come in to next year's marathon a changed man, if anyone can do it, it will be Gary Lough.  

Iain - bloody hell that must have been a shock. :o   So I take it your body is too stressed, too little sleep etc which has upset your metabolic rate/system, like an engine running too fast all the time?   Great to hear you can go faster though :)

Ian - I know, I think it was a 'fake news' headline ;)   Re your pre marathon half, you recover really quickly so 2 or 3 weeks out.  You recovered very quickly after that huge half PB didn't you?

Very mild this morning, so mild that I didn't noticed I was drenched right through from the rain until I finished my run.  I much prefer running in a bit of rain than the horrible cold.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Some good tips there about food, Shades.  Thanks.  Hadn't thought of taking a flask of milk.  I buy a small bottle of milk from a shop at where I'm travelling to, and leave it in a sink of cold water.  I imagine the cleaning people must wonder what I'm doing!  The Dinton Challenge is their one in Reading - I had considered driving up as it's just about doable, but then if there's bad traffic (it's a mid-week race, so could be rush hour etc) I'd be late and/or stressed, so a Travelodge seemed better.  There's some kind of early bird offer so I paid £26.20, and it includes a medal and their pick and mix goodie bag :)  There is a parking charge on top this time (£6), but the race HQ has showers etc, which is good.

Iain, I'm really not sure what to say about that.  I haven't met you, but to be a sub-3hr marathoner and presumably athletic, I have to say the first thing I thought was that they must have the results mixed up with someone else!  What are the follow up options then - can they help you get into what the root cause is and how to fix it?  As a matter of interest, do you feel run down?

Went to club last night, and Jelly and I did the same session.  The session was advertised as 4xhilly figure-of-eights, and the session was a mile away from the start.  I think everyone did 3 loops (or less), except Jelly who did the whole 4.  Well done to her :)   It was a really tough session, but enjoyable.  The figure of 8s are hilly and about 1.2 mile in length.  We could choose our recovery and I went for 90secs - probably should have been 120secs but it was raining and cold/windy so wanted to get going again, but I hadn't full recovered between each one.  I was fairly consistent though, so was happy enough.

The session ended up being 7.5 miles, so it's 11.5 yesterday with the 4 I did in the morning.  When I uploaded it to Strava I realised I haven't had a rest day since the marathon (actually, I've ran 6 days in a row now).  I am always wary of pushing too hard or doing too much, but I feel fine, although I may have a rest day today and do a few miles miles tomorrow before Saturday's event.  If I get twitchy though, I may do a short run bit later, but I'll see. 

It was really nice actually as loads of people at club were asking me about my marathon, and my training etc.  Of course, I can talk for hours about running, but I just kept on saying "It's easy running that does it", but I don't think all that many believed me ;)  Funnily enough, the coach last night (a slightly older chap) has been training to heart rate recently, and his recent paces are what I would say are correct for him, although he's struggling to keep his HR down going up hills.  I know when I trained to HR, that's the bit I struggled with as well, as I had to walk to keep the HR in range, even though I felt fine to run.
  • Options
    Iain, wow. I do wonder how I'd test considering my sleep isn't great (it never really has been, to be honest, but now I've got hormonal changes playing havoc. Eh.)

So, some good news. Got the boarding passes. Yay. And I managed 3 miles (actually 5K...decided to round up) today. The hip doesn't feel completely right but it doesn't hurt. I think sometimes when we've been injured we get super aware of everything that doesn't feel quite right - it could just be lack of training or the fact I've been doing a hell of a lot of glute and hip exercises.
    I did an 11:30ish first mile, just over 11 for the second and 10:30ish last mile (that one was net downhill though - it usually is my fastest mile on each circuit of the common, not to mention I start to warm-up by that point). Cadence is down by around 10 steps per minute so I guess that will come back with practise.
    And now I have to go eat something and finish packing. Spain awaits.

(Big G - hmm, Florence. Mmm...)
  • Options
    Shades - I'm with you on the rain rather than cold!! I get really cold hands, so much prefer to run when it's a bit milder.
    Iain - That's really interesting. Yes, definately need to get more sleep then as that should help you recover more quickly. Will you get retested at some point to see if it has improved?
    Ian - I like 4 weeks before, as that means I can still do a long run 3 weeks out and have 2 weeks taper. However it's all about how quickly you recover as Shades mentioned.

5 mile easy recovery today, HR much lower than yesterday. Bit windy out though!!
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I was chuffed I did all 4, didn't realise no one was behind me and everyone else had stopped at three as I didn't have recover on last one as Start of loop was down hill so used as active recovery as I knew I was back of the field. So wasn't until Half way when coach told me I was last one running.  I offered to stop but I think he could see I wanted to complete lap really. It was definitely negative split as I didn't want to keep him waiting.  We had brisk run back as everyone else had returned. At the end his HR beeps were going crazy and I said hope they are good beeps, he said I really pushed him at the end, which we had a laugh about as he was the coach who lead the B group the first time I stepped up and being a retired teacher was finding positive praise when I really struggling. "You're breathing, doing really well you're breathing"   Good Session and one I could do alone on weekend if no hill session in week but think I would do alternate direction.  
  • Options
    Big_G - I'm pretty small and wirey, I'm 5'4, 9St 5, 28inch waist and body fat of 8-10%. I've been advised to start changing simple things like getting more sleep,  tracking my food and trying to increase the amount I eat and I'll get retested in march. Was a shock to say the least. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ach, I had that "get more sleep" advice a few times after Claire died, as I was permanently knackered but still sleeping okay.  I hope you find something that works for you.   In terms of increasing the amount you eat, have they advised introducing specific quantities/percentages of other things?  I hope you get to the bottom of it, and I suppose the carrot that you can get even quicker if you get stuff like that right must be a huge incentive for you, with your marathon goals.  You've got me pondering what my results would be - I am no where near your level in terms of fat % and marathon time obviously, but I like to think I'm fairly healthy at least.  I wonder if I'd get a shock too!

Jelly, yeah, he's a top coach I'd say.  A really nice chap too.  He's on the club committee too, and you can tell he always tries to think things through from all sides before making comments/suggestions about whatever is being discussed.

Cal, that sounds really good news about your run.  Now go off and enjoy your break :)  
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Steve-I seem to recover quickly from halves,I was out for 9 the day after my last one Inc hills with club and it felt fine.
    I will go with the 4 week option I think so Wrexham half or I could do a 20 there,then a half the week after,then 3 week taper.....
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Iain - not too sure what those results mean but if you're not getting a good sleep then that's certainly something to prioritise.

Jelly/Big G - well done on the hill reps.

Cal - more tentative good news on the running front, glad you got your passes ok - enjoy your holiday!

8 miles last night with my running club, was probably upper end of easy effort, but was definitely able to have a conversation the whole way (and often was). Came out 7:40 average pace which is encouraging. Squash tonight, will probably have tomorrow as a rest day, hope to get out for an hour with the running buggy over the weekend. Would be nice and would mean a 20+ mile week for the first time since May!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a good thermos will keep the milk cool until you get home the following day.

It's nice having the midweek races but the M4 Reading area is busy, so the drive is a bit slower than if you'd driven up on a Sunday morning, I also hit Bristol at rush hour when I came back and it was holiday time and I was stuck on the Avonmouth bridge for 20 minutes.

A good tough hill session done there by you and Jelly, good DD training ;)   It's always hard to keep HR down on hills especially when you start doing HR training.

Cal - great news on the 5km run (although it was too fast!!) and having your boarding passes.  Have a lovely time in Spain you deserve it, you've had a rotten time lately.

Jelly - good for you showing them up doing the full 4 laps ;)

Iain - you work long hours so you need to have more snacks, more substantial meals.   With Xmas coming up you can get some good practise in eating more :)

Ian - I might see you at Wrexham then :)

Nick - another good session at your club too. You don't need high mileage to keep your fitness up, the running plus the squash seems to work really well for you.

Forecast is terrible here for tonight and tomorrow, luckily is my rest day tomorrow and I'm going to nip out this afternoon for my food shop so I don't have to de-ice the car in the morning.

• Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    Shades - I think the cycling is helping a lot too. I do 20 mins easy cycling pretty much every morning and evening in the week to get to the train station. And this week I did cycle-commute the whole way to work on Tuesday (approx 90 mins each way). My back and my knee were hurting a bit on the way back but fine once I had stopped and showered. I think if I keep doing the cycling then I can build to a marathon off 20-30 mpw, the difficulty will be fitting long runs in. Tonight is my last squash team match of the year so may try and do a long slow run home from work one day in the next couple of weeks (3.5 miles in the morning to the train station and 16-17 miles home in the evening, could shorten it by getting the train part of the way home) to see how that goes. If I am looking to build to a marathon then I think a typical week would be running home one day, a hard effort with the club on Wednesdays, and an easy hour or so at the weekend with the buggy.

Big G - forgot to mention, have your tried UHT milk? I used that when I did Manchester so I could have my usual cereal in the morning, not the nicest but not terrible.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    On milk front how about freezing it and let it defrost. I do that in the Sumer at work. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nick, but I tend try and avoid UHT if I can - given a chance, I get milk for my coffee if at a hotel.  But then again, I take my own coffee too generally - I confess I am a bit of a coffee snob!

Jelly, one tip came up in here for the summer (was it from SK?).  Freezing grapes, and then having them as a treat when it's really hot outside.  It worked really well!  :)  
  • Options
    I am training for a marathon and using a plan from the internet. It has written to do this tonight:

Threshold run 30 mins to include 2 x 5 mins @ threshold/ 2min jog/walk recovery

I know what threshold runs are, but 5+2+5+2 doesnt =30. Can someone please explain exactly how my run should be planned out?

Thanks!
  • Options
    NickW2NickW2 ✭✭✭
    I think it probably means jog/easy pace to warm up at the start and to cool down at the end, to make 30 mins total running. But I've often got a little confused by plans off the internet.
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
    Shades - I gave my Tuesday buddy a paper copy of your plan, just so she could see the mileage she needed to do. Certainly didn't pass on e-mail address and I don't think she would be interested in paces anyway. She's cooled on the idea for now - not only does she have a very busy social life but she also has a brand new grandson.

Perhaps the runners at the MdesS Peru realised quite early on that they had underestimated the race/overestimated their own abilities so decided to quit before they were trashed  ;)

mamafox - ouch to the knee :s  hope it's not too sore now. It's worse with face planting - people at work kept asking if I'd had 'one too many?'

Ian 5 - good news that your wife wants to do halves. Quite a few overseas marathons also have a half option   B)

Big G - as Shades said, LDWA events usually have a narrative description (although some now also have GPS files) - as long as you keep your thumb on the bit where you are you should be ok. I usually download the route instructions, make them bigger, re-jig so each new instruction starts on a new line and checkpoints are at the end of the page. Most have meals at the end so you could save on dinner too  ;)

Iain - interesting results. Phil Maffetone (advocate of easy running to HR) has a lot to say about raised cortisol / hormone levels because of junk food diet (obviously not in your case), lack of sleep and rest, stress and high HR training. You might want to check out his website. There is also a facebook page, but it's a lot about diet and figures so mostly goes over my head.

Cal - enjoy your holiday  :)
  • Options
    JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Cal, great news that you can run again, take it easy and enjoy Spain.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well that was a touch windy,got out for 6 easy miles after work,just ran to effort so didn't look at my watch, came out slightly quicker than normal but only 5 sec/mile
  • Options
    Frozen grapes, yum! I buy grapes weekly and if still have any old ones left, they go straight in the freezer. They are sooo good. I think I got the tip from Cal originally? 

Iain - was it just your metabolic rate they tested or did they do VO2 stuff too? I had VO2 tested earlier in the year as part of the heart research I’m taking part in, but can’t remember if they did the metabolic rate too - will try and find the results tomorrow to see. How did they test that? Good at least that you have lots of scope for improvement!

I’ve not run since Sunday :( I was actually thinking about having some days off anyway to try and help the foot but have kind of been forced to due to a manic few days at work. My foot is actually loads better but my mind is so fuzzy and really missing the mental benefits we all get from running. It’s amazing how quickly though you get out of the routine of running. I feel like I’m no longer a runner! Am desperate to do a parkrun on Saturday, however slow.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nick - as you seem to do so well on low mileage you can probably get away with say 3 long runs for your marathon prep, you might have to dig a bit deeper on marathon day though.

mowzer - maybe your friend will consider the marathon in the future, but unless someone has a burning desire to run a marathon then I would say, 'don't.' You need that strong focus to get through the training etc.

Yes, you're right, with the MdeS events those that just haven't done the preparation and training soon find they are just not up to the task, not an event you can bimble your way around.   Having to carry all your food/kit every day too is just too much for some, of course there will be a few injuries too.   But having paid €2,000 to enter seems daft if you suddenly decide you don't like it.  My friend didn't do much running training this time, he's done 146 marathons so knows the distance is not an issue, but spent months in the gym so he could carry the kit comfortably

SK - don't panic about not running, embrace it as a chance to rest the foot and pretend it was planned all the time.    Can you sweep the parkrun this weekend so you'll be helping others out, dress warmly though. 

At our Xmas do last week one of our runners has PF and his podiatrist has told him to buy some Hokas as part of his rehabilitation, it's the rocker action that helps apparently.

Big G - pack your thermals for your marathon, I just stuck my head out the window and that wind is so cold.   I'm staying in today in the warm, need to do some cooking, I've run out of cake!

I don't know if any of you apart from Ian has been following this thread

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/346597/card-fraud#latest

Just be prepared if you enter a race using active.com

• Options
    Shades, is that active. com or active training world? Don’t know if they are linked, but I’ve entered loads of races from atw.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - it's active.com. 

I doubt they're linked. active.com are a global company I think atw are UK based and mostly have races listed in the SE

• Options
    Thanks Shades. Most of my local races are organised by ATW, so good to hear this isn’t linked to active.com (which I don’t think I’ve used). Yes, I suppose ATW must be quite local as the guy who runs it is at all the events and answers the emails himself, Hope your account is OK, another reason to only use credit cards online.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SK - I've never used ATW but that's only because I rarely race in the SE.   active.com cover races worldwide and a lot of the bigger races.   I've used them 3 times in the last few weeks on 2 different credit cards.   One card has been cancelled by the card issuer, I had a text yesterday, they may have stopped a suspicious transaction, I don't know.   I've checked both of my credit card accounts and no fraudulent transactions yet!

I've just messaged a RO that I know puts a huge amount of money through active.com with his events to see if he knows about it. 

I won't enter any events via active.com, might cause me a problem in the future we'll see.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I read that just a day or two ago. I'd already entered Loch Ness which uses Active.com :-( No fraudulent transactions yet!
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Hopefully these races will use different companies in future. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly said:
    Hopefully these races will use different companies in future. 

I doubt they will unless we tell them about it. 

active.com are the ones that operate an 'Advantage' membership.   When you enter a race at the very foot of the page there's a box to tick which looks like your final entry OK but is actually a 'free' 30 day trial followed by an agreement to debit the runner's credit card.  Loads have fallen for it, and yes 'buyer beware' but when they try to cancel they have to fight to get any response from active.com.

I just checked my 2018 races that I haven't yet entered and I don't think any of them use active.com.  If I do go to Loch Ness next year I'll ask to pay a different way, by FP probably.