Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steven, or Gran Canaria, which Ian enjoyed this year. 

Absolutely beautiful weather here today!  What a difference compared to yesterday. 

I've been out for a short run to see what the temp was like and I think tomorrow I may wear my vest rather than t shirt. I've realised I forgot to pack my cap so I'll get a cheap one later. 

Loads of runners about today as I saw probably 100 runners and this was at 7:30am. It's amusing seeing the local runners as they had hats and gloves on, whereas I was warm in t shirt and shorts. My route this morning took me past the finish area, which is all set up - that made me imagine finishing tomorrow, which brought a big smile to my face!

When I went to get my number on Thursday I was in and out in 2mins, but I've been told that last night there was a queue around the block to get numbers!

I'm getting excited now :-)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Big G - I completely forgot about Gran Canaria, much better choice.

You lucky thing being able to plan running in a vest tomorrow and buy a new cap to wear in the sun.   That's a lot of runners, I wouldn't have thought running was so popular in Malta but it must be.

The sun has come out here now but it's bloody freezing, 'feels like' temp of -4 with a sharp wind.  I saw quite a few runners too, and cyclists, but they all looked miserable in the cold, particularly the cyclists .

I cut my run short as it's just too cold for me, I can't train any further than short runs when it's so bitterly cold, I'm fine for about 4 miles and then my muscles just get colder and feel stiff and uncomfortable so only ran 6 miles today.   Forecast is due to get even colder and even down here a 'feels like' forecast of -9 is listed for Friday, doesn't bode well for my 20 mile race on Sunday 4th, I don't like to race if it's less than a +10 :(    But at the moment it's dry but looks like we could have a lot of ice by the end of the week too

Am going to rewrite my training plan now for the next few days, I guess I've been lucky so far this winter and lost only a minimal amount of mileage due to the weather.

• Steven - Well done to your wife for giving up smoking - giving herself the best chance to recover now. And well done to you for a consistant 20 miler.. I always end up slowing for the last 5k. Sounds like you were fast too.

Big G -Good luck for tomorrow - it all sounds fab  :)

Shades - freezing here too. I often get tight hamstrings when it's cold. Just an easy 10k this morning. Clear blue skies.. beautiful. Almost felt like Spring if you forgot about the -6 temperature!
    24k route planned for tomorrow, hope it goes better than last time  :|
  • Sunny but cold here too, with an icy wind. Time for my first bit of London-based parkrun tourism (it's just too easy to go to the one that's a short jog away, but that one is getting much too crowded now). I opted for Fulham Palace as that's fairly easy to get to on the train and is a favourite with those members of my club. More importantly, it's all paved, which made it a good choice to test the Zoom Flys.

It is a pretty busy parkrun but not as bad as Tooting, so I got into my stride a lot quicker. I ran the first mile in under 9 minutes and still felt strong so I pushed on. The shoes made running feel almost effortless and I found myself actively hunting down the runners in front of me and passing them.

Fulham is definitely a faster course than Tooting, and shoes and conditions helped, but I finished in 26:29, which is my fastest parkrun for a very long time. I thought it would be nice to get under 27 but given I've been running 28s recently, I wasn't expecting to go under by such a margin. So I'm happy. Age group 1st too.

I'm very pleased with the shoes. The only minus is that those heel tabs I was worried about do indeed rub a bit, so I'll need to remember to tape myself up next weekend.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-Id recommend Gran Canaria in January,you're looking good for 3:30 if those long runs feel comfortable.
    Mama-hope you can get your 24km in and work eases a bit.
    Shades-Pity about this week but you've had a really solid winters training so hopefully in good shape now your races are starting.
    Big G-have a great race tomorrow.
    Cal-Excellent parkrun,well done.
    13.1 miles for me today,faded again a bit at the end but I did a different route and it was a lot hillier than usual so really took it easy on them.
  • Shades- no our holidays are usually run in 6 year cyles so they change every year but that way you know what it's going to be for the 6 year period. So based on that I booked Berlin however due to my work in a way restructuring all our holiday allocations got changed with effect April this year.
    In regards another marathon I have looked at Gran Canaria as that will fall into my new holiday allocation. I am just trying to figure out where to stay as I have to factor in including it as part of a holiday for my O/H as well.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-We stayed in Las Palmas itself.Its the capital but it's right on the front,plenty of bars,restaurants and a decent beach,but the main holiday resorts are to the south of the island,a few runners transferred down there after the race for a while.Emmy off here knows a lot about it so may be worth getting some logistical advice off her.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - hope your longer run goes well today, wrap up warm

Cal - well done on your parkrun.   Great that your new shoes feel so good, annoying about the heel tabs though, but at least you can deal with that rather than find out half way through your marathon.

Steven - Gran Canaria would be a good choice as a holiday that your OH might enjoy too.

Ian - yes, you're right I have put down a good base this winter.  My average weekly mileage over the last 10 weeks has been 55mpw and I haven't done a single long run which I might regret when I get to Wrexham :'(  we'll see.

You seem to be progressing well, 13.1 miles is significant improvement in distance

You're up early today, hope it wasn't an alarm call from work again ;) 

Just waiting for daylight to go for my run.   It's windier today but I'm saving my balaclava for later in the week when the wind chill is supposed to be even colder.    Not dreading the weather today as it will be a short run :) 

Good luck Big G in sunny Malta and to anyone racing today too.  

SK are you doing Brighton Half today?

• JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Just back from 6 miles in freezing conditions despite the sun being out. I took 3 miles to warm up, the wind was icy, glad to have got it done though. Good luck to all those racing today, I think Big G has got the best deal by a long way!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Well, Malta Marathon done :)

I woke up at stupid-o-clock (4am) and had some breakfast, before making my way down to where the coaches were due to pick us up, to take us to the start area.  There were lots of coaches and I go on one easily, and was on my way at 5:50am.  We got to M'dina, which is the old capital of Malta and is worth a visit (I went there yesterday) with about an hour to go so got myself sorted before the race started.

I was incredibly nervous for some reason, and the first mile or two were bad and I thought I was going to have a crap day.  But I got into it after that and after about 4 miles I passed the 3:30 pacer.  I didn't know if I'd live to regret that later, but at this stage I thought I'd may as well give it a crack on what is a fast course.

The first 16-miles or so are quite twisty with loops etc, and I was getting deja vu as we went up roads that we had previously gone down, but we were quite often in sight of the the M'dina so there was something interesting to look at.  Having said that, I can't say the course itself is a great one for a few reasons - 1) it's not closed to traffic so there were some hairy moments 2) the surface in some areas is poor and I did nearly take a tumble at one point 3) other than the start, the bit near Valletta, and the finish I can't say it was especially picturesque.  4)  There had been rain and the surface was quite slippery in places as it had some clay/sandy stuff on it.

One good thing was that about 16-miles I joined the sub-1:30 Half runners, so we were running together until the end (the marathon started earlier).  I did prefer this compared with Palma, for example, where the Half and Full start at the same time of day, but from half way it can get lonely.  I was chipping along quite nicely and I have to say at one point I did wonder if 3:15 may happen.

Alas, it did not and I did slow the last few miles, but did just enough to finish in under 3:20 and a 10-min PB, with a watch time of 3:19:30 so I am of course happy with that.

I suppose the question is, "would I do it again?", and the answer is "yes!".  I was lucky with the weather today as it remained overcast for the majority of the race, and was just warming up as I was about 3 or 4 miles from the finish.  Plus, Malta is very nice in places.

*Question to all you Shadies*: given the downhill nature of the course, would you class this as a PB?  What do you think the elevation counts for?  In my mind I was thinking maybe 5mins?  I know a few years ago I didn't count a 10K PB on a downhill course, but is a marathon different?  What do you think?  

Splits were:  8:06, 7:32, 7:30, 7:39, 7:47, 7:46, 7:36, 7:39, 7:26, 7:45, 7:26, 7:25, 7:38, 7:39, 7:36, 7:10, 7:13, 7:30, 7:19, 7:16, 7:22, 7:55, 7:35, 7:55, 7:58 with the last bit at 7:56-pace.  To be honest the last couple I just did enough to get under 3:20 so did kind of cruise in a bit.

Most of the pics were crap, but this was probably the best of the lot.  Shame about the logos on it:

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - bloody hell that's brilliant and yes I would count that as a PB.  :):)  You wouldn't be asking that question if there was 200m of climb on the course.

There could have been a lot worse logos

I'll go and put your time in the runworks calculator and see what that says compared to a pancake flat marathon 

Jugula - I agree. Big G has definitely got the best deal today. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Big G - right, I put your time of 3:19:30 in the calculator and for a flat marathon that equates to 3:22:15 I'm going to try and paste the chart

Predicted 26.2 M Finish Times by Course Profile
    Total Uphills (ft)
    03:22:153:22:203:22:253:22:293:22:343:22:393:22:443:22:493:22:533:22:583:23:03
    703:21:573:22:023:22:073:22:123:22:163:22:213:22:263:22:313:22:363:22:403:22:45
    1403:21:403:21:443:21:493:21:543:21:593:22:043:22:083:22:133:22:183:22:233:22:28
    2103:21:223:21:273:21:313:21:363:21:413:21:463:21:513:21:563:22:003:22:053:22:10
    Total2803:21:043:21:093:21:143:21:193:21:233:21:283:21:333:21:383:21:433:21:473:21:52
    Downhills3503:20:463:20:513:20:563:21:013:21:063:21:113:21:153:21:203:21:253:21:303:21:35
    (ft)4203:20:293:20:343:20:383:20:433:20:483:20:533:20:583:21:023:21:073:21:123:21:17
    4903:20:113:20:163:20:213:20:263:20:303:20:353:20:403:20:453:20:503:20:543:20:59
    5603:19:533:19:583:20:033:20:083:20:133:20:173:20:223:20:273:20:323:20:373:20:42
    6303:19:363:19:413:19:453:19:503:19:553:20:003:20:053:20:093:20:143:20:193:20:24
    7003:19:183:19:233:19:283:19:333:19:373:19:423:19:473:19:523:19:573:20:013:20:06

Predicted finish time for a level course: 3:22:15.3

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - what elevation did your Garmin show?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, I'll definitely take it as a PB then as 3:22 would still be a PB.  Strava shows 844ft of elevation, but that doesn't make any sense!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I would record that as a PB at 3:19:30, you're not lodging a world record and it's not a short course so no need to adjust your time.   

Also we don't know that the 200m of drop mentioned on the race info is correct at all especially as we don't seem to be able to find an accurate method of measuring elevation.   I'm sure most runners will take the Strava reading as correct.

No pressure but I think you know what you have to do at Barcelona ;) 

I'm really pleased for you and now you can see that GFA time as doable (when you're ready).

Go and celebrate now with some nice post race food, this race result should keep you away from fancying a beer.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks.  I just checked on Garmin Connect and it says: 514ft gain and 1121ft loss, which is massive and bigger than what the Malta site says.  I don't know what to make of these figures :(  

I have to say thanks to people on here, especially you Shades.  it's given me the confidence to keep doing what I'm doing with the steady running whilst a lot in my club run faster than me on their slow runs.  But I'm not going to change my approach!

Shades, if we take it as 3:22 does that alter my training paces at all?

Yes, I think not drinking is helping as basically I always feel fresh.  I know I was ill at the start of Jan but I did get 3 or 4 weeks of decent training after that cleared, including my two highest ever training weeks.  My training mileage will drop now as I have marathons coming up, but I'm pleased with what I did with a gap in the marathon schedule.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-amazing run and well done,That's a great PB considering you not long smashed that one in.
    That elevation seems about right,gives you a net downhill of 607ft which is about 200mtrs.
    Shades-The early start was for work,but a scheduled start not alarm.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G! I still have nightmares about my Malta marathon race! :) That's a fantastic PB!
  • Well done Big G! Cracking new PB. I'd trust the Malta site over Garmin, but a PB is a PB isn't it. So what's the next one?

Well done on the 6, Jugula.

I had a rubbish sleep and I'm not even able to blame the mice (I know they haven't gone as I spotted one the other day, but any left have at least been quiet). I was knackered and fell into a deep sleep around 10:30, only to wake up two hours later needing to pee. Then I woke up at 3.30am feeling hot, then manage to give myself a minor nosebleed while scratching my nose, and ended up tossing and turning for a bit before realising I was starving. I put the light on and, as I'd forgotten to buy bananas, made myself some green tea and a slice of toast with marmite (small m as it was Sainsbury's own brand). I had some concerns about getting this digested in time for my run but I had no issues, thankfully. Eventually fell alseep again at 5 and slept through until 6.30ish. I'd intended to go out at 7 but that obviously wasn't going to happen as I needed to do the whole coffee/Facebook/poop routine first.

Eventually I got out at about quarter past 8. As Jugula said, it was bloody cold, so I wore multiple layers and a hat. I decided on the Brockwell route, hills and all, as I'd tried the three common route two weeks ago and just didn't enjoy it.

First mile was very sluggish (Garmin recorded my shortest every running stride) but not surprising with it being cold and me not getting a decent sleep. But I picked up a bit after that. I deliberately kept it nice and easy as I didn't want to bugger my legs ahead of the Big Half next weekend.

In the end I finished the 18 miles without too much trouble. Aside from the first mile, my slowest miles were 5 and 13, as both have a lot of climb, while the fastest were 10, 12, 17 and 18. I took gels at mile 8 and 13 which seemed to work well.

I didn't make it home in time for Yin yoga but I did have a nice hot bath and I feel tired but not exhausted.

I was running in Frees today as I want to save my Zoom Flys (which I've nicknamed Magic Shoes on my Garmin page) for races and fast parkruns.

That marks my highest mileage week this year at 42. Next week will be easier (due to the race) and then I hope to get a 20 in the following week.
  • BG - Well done

Local 10 mile race for me today and alas i was 2 mins off of earning myself a two pizza Domino's order as i only clocked 1:42 ;) Was going with between 1:40 and 1:45 anyway so happy enough with that albeit it was hard work coming down the last few miles and according to Strava that section was a whole 2 mins slower than any other time i have on strava having done it 3 times in a 10 K and this race in 2012.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I was thinking of you actually, when I was out on the course.  The fumes from the cars were quite bad in places :(   And some of the driving was very bad, I have to say.

Cal, I have 4 marathons in March, with the next ones a week today and a fortnight today.  Next week's will just be a case of trying to get under 4hrs if I can, but I'll see how I feel at the one after to see if I can do a good time.  I've said it before but it's definitely an advantage of doing a few more events as even if I have a poor one, there's generally another coming up to redress the balance a bit.  Sainsbury's own, eh?  I'm a Lidl man, myself ;)  Well done on the 18-miler in cold conditions.

Keith, well done on your 10-miler too.  Shame about the pizza.  ;)  I had one for a post-marathon treat.  Very nice it was....

By the way, how that Facebook thing worked with the pictures automatically uploading is that the photographer took the photo, and their camera was linked to a system that scanned the barcode thing that was on everyone's race number.  Pretty impressive really and free.  I think you can buy the photos without all the logos on, but I'm not going to bother.

I've been relaxing/dozing for an hour or so.  Legs feel okay, but I'm tired I think from the early start and not a massive amount of sleep.
  • Wooooo! fab Big G - a PB is a PB and that is definitely one by a big margin. Well done you. I would have, however, liked to have seen a bit more of a toothy smile on that photo but maybe you can work on that for next time  :p great stuff.

Cal - Well done on a strong 18 miler too.

Shades - Didn't you buy a face warmer thing once? Or is that the balaclava you're talking about? Good consistant mileage there.. wish I could say the same  :#

Good run for me this morning. Got my 24k done 10 mins faster than last week and I wasn't dying on my feet either. Had an interesting encounter too. When I left this morning just at the bottom of my road was parked an old fashioned Gypsy caravan with a percheron horse tethered outside. The occupant was opening his curtains as I passed so I stopped to say hello. Well I'm glad I did. The owner - Christoph - used to be a fashion photographer in Paris before becoming a war correspondant then after a stint as a cook on a boat gave it all up to travel in his caravan. That was eighteen years ago and he hasn't stopped since. He has no fixed home to speak of, just lives day by day with his horse, dog and chickens. An amazing person and I could have stayed talking to him for hours. 
    Passed the time on my run thinking about the simplicity of his life - time flew by!

• Hello all. Sorry it has been so long since I posted on her. Hope you are all well. I haven't ran any races since the B'ham marathon, but kept kicking over with 3 runs a week since. My legs were feeling tired in recent weeks, and I booked a sports massage for my legs a week last Friday. My legs felt OK after and I ran an 8 miler last Sunday without any issues. I was really trying to stretch more to prevent any potential injuries. The massage guy did feel a knot in my right calf I recall. Was planning on running Stafford Half on March 18th. Anyway ........ Last Tuesday myself, my nephew and workmate decided to play badminton. I hadn't played in about 10 years and I was running around like a mad thing determined to beat the two 20-odd year olds on the eve of my 50th birthday. I'm guessing you guys know where this is going..... So after I had lost one game, and won the next game I was playing my nephew and on my Match point, I ran backwards,stretched and it felt like I had ran into a sharp metal object that had mysteriously appeared on the court. I heard a strange popping noise and suddenly intense pain was coming from the lower part of my right calf. 

I hadn't stretched before playing which I know was so stupid. I think its also to do with me only using slow twitch muscles in my endurance running.

I have seen a physio  and she was great. She said it was a grade 2 calf tear, but was a bit concerned by the amount of swelling, and I am going to see her again this Thursday. I have been given lots of advise on icing, gentle stretches and strapping etc.

Its looking like I will be out of running action for approx 8-12 weeks and I am currently looking for some kind of seated cardio exercises as I am concerned about losing my fitness and gaining weight.

Oh well, these things happen I guess, but I am determined to stick to the physios advice to get this thing healed asap.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G, that’s an amazing time.
    Cal, great work on the 18 what with a bad night’s sleep and the bitter cold.
    MF, love the story of Christoph, people find such serenity living life like that, I wish I had the courage to do it, rather than being a voluntary slave to the rat race.
  • Great PB Big G! I assume your leg was OK then!!!  :):):)
  • MF, Christoph sounds like he is living the dream!

John, oh noes. I tore my calf in 2014 - it feels like someone just shot you in the leg, no? When it happened to me, it was a few days before heading off for an amusement park and fair holiday in Germany, where I'd be on my feet most days. Somehow I managed and I think the walking helped. I also started doing yoga around the same time, and all the balancing poses helped strengthen the other muscles in my lower legs. After a couple of weeks I was also able to do spin classes (though I stayed seated and did't stand for the climb sections).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, yeah the hammie has been okay since I've been in Malta, fortunately.  I did 3 runs before the race today, and they were all fine, despite the cramped conditions on the flight!

John, sorry to hear about that, but it sounds like the physio is giving you good advice.

MF, interesting run, and Christophe does indeed seem to be living the dream!

--
    I went over to the official awards ceremony this evening at the posh hotel, and that was good to see.  It's not an elite field with the men's race being won in 2:18 and the ladies in 2:53, but there were lots of age-grade prizes and it was a good atmosphere in there.

Official results still aren't out.  There is a race report on the site and I noticed that has changed as initially the 3rd place ladies athlete was from the UK, but that has changed now.  Not sure what has happened there.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Results are out and it's 3:19:28 :)  (That would have been embarrassing if I'd had a Garmin failure and the official time was significantly slower!).

I cropped another pic which isn't too bad; you can see I have a green number and those around me are red which is the half numbers.  There were 970 marathoners and 3700 Halfs, so it made a big difference joining the Half runners as then there were lots of people to run with.  This is near the finish.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Big_G said:

I have to say thanks to people on here, especially you Shades.  it's given me the confidence to keep doing what I'm doing with the steady running whilst a lot in my club run faster than me on their slow runs.  But I'm not going to change my approach!

Shades, if we take it as 3:22 does that alter my training paces at all?

Yes, I think not drinking is helping as basically I always feel fresh.  I know I was ill at the start of Jan but I did get 3 or 4 weeks of decent training after that cleared, including my two highest ever training weeks.  My training mileage will drop now as I have marathons coming up, but I'm pleased with what I did with a gap in the marathon schedule.
    I'm taking your PB as 3:19 and thank you for your kind words.   I'm sure that 3/4 weeks of good training did the trick.

I can't remember what your training paces were so I've put 3:19:28 in and training paces as follows:-
    Easy 8:35 to 9:05
    Long 8:35 to 9:35
    Tempo 7:00 to 7:20

That's a great photo, the 2 guys behind you look knackered and they're only doing the half, whereas you look fresh and relaxed.

Cal - that's a good long run especially in this cold weather and after a rotten night.

Keith - well done on your 10 mile race, glad you missed out on the double pizza ;) 

mamafox - a good long run for you too and an interesting meet with that guy.  Can't remember the last time I saw a percheron.

Yes, my face warmer is what I call my balaclava, I haven't needed it yet.

John - lovely to hear from you,that injury sounds quite painful.   If the damage was already there in your calf it could easily have torn when you were out for an easy run and even a stretch before your game wouldn't have stopped the tear.   But you will make a full recovery.

Belated Happy Birthday too.

Kept my run down to 6 miles this morning, that's enough for me in the cold.   My back is fine but I've cancelled Yogalates as I don't want to go out again in the cold.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    20-Jan   Plym Trail Big G   04:02:50  
    20-Jan   Plym Trail Jelly 04:04:54 PB  :)
    20-Jan   Plym Trail Keith   05:57:28  
    21-Jan   Gran Canaria Ian   03:43:30  
    25-Feb   Malta Big G 03:19:28 PB  :)
    04-Mar   Dorney Lake Big G    
    11-Mar   Barcelona Big G    
    11-Mar   Wrexham Shades    
    25-Mar   Devon Dumpling Jelly    
    26-Mar   Devon Dumpling Big G    
    28-Mar   Dinton Challenge Big G    
    31-Mar   Born to Run Ultra Shades