Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cheers Ian, yes much better. Just felt really down on energy this evening. I find I sometimes suffer around mile 3 and then get going again. Trying to keep my carbs high but can't seem to shake the mile 3 wobble. 
    What are you running on Sunday? 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-Wrexham half marathon,it's a tester really to see where I am up to and give me an idea of what to do.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe ditch those flat holiday shoes forever.   ;)   Treat yourself to a replacement pair that don't irritate the achilles.

I think you'll just have to see how you feel on the start line on Sunday.

I am really disappointed about Wrexham as I've been watching the forecast and it's been gradually warming up and conditions look OK.   But I can't risk it, remembering what happened to me 10 years ago, then I didn't even know I'd done any damage to my ankle before the marathon.  On the Monday I had to take the day off work, only time an injury has stopped me going to work as I couldn't walk.

OTB - you might be a bit tired or dehydrated perhaps?   Or maybe you need to start a little slower and build up your pace.

Bruising is less this morning and ankle feels a bit better.   I didn't go out yesterday, was getting a bit stir crazy but I just stayed in and elevated the ankle in between doing bits and bobs around the flat.   Short drive and shopping this morning so that's a better test to see how it is.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I remember when I was working in an office, my shoes irritated my achilles. They were good quality shoes, but I really noticed it. I was working in London for a few days and walking around, catching tubes, etc, which made it sore so I brought some black trainers and wore them instead. It did look a bit odd, but no one said anything!

I've just done a run here and had a great run - 6.5 miles. My friends have been drinking quite heavily but it hasn't been too bad.  We were in one bar which had a lot of different beers on tap. Usually exactly my kind of place, so that was quite tough, but I just imagined how disappointed I'd be with myself the following morning, and I didn't take a drink - I know I won't all holiday, but I imagine it will be challenging sometimes.  Malta was different as I went on my own (although did meet up with people) so I could just basically do what I wanted in terms of where I ate and drank etc, but this is different.  

But we had a good day. Wandered around the old town, did a cable car up to a castle, etc. I got some supplies in from the supermarket plus I've had decent paella and tapas already, so I'm happy!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done for sticking to the no drinking, it can't be easy as we're all creatures of habit.  

I guess you'll be going to the Expo today.

Enjoy the Spanish carbo loading 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done for staying strong, Big G. I had a fab squid ink paella when I was there in December - it did turn my teeth and tongue black, though.

Shades, sorry about Wrexham, that really blows. I hope the ankle improves quickly.

Ian - yeah, flat shoes can be a killer. I was teaching when I got that ball of the foot pain (that turned out to be a cyst) so I switched from the trainers I was wearing to teach in to Merrells (zero drop) to keep the weight back on my heel more. Even though I wasn't running, I developed the most persistant chase of achilles tendinopathy that I've experienced - enough that I had a lump on my tendon.

After a rest day yesterday (had to wait in for the boiler man) I did 6 miles today. It was supposed to be an easy run but turned into a bit of a faster one than expected. I'm normally quite tired on a Friday from the pilates class (it's not a normal pilates class since there are also things like squats and burpees and mountain climbers) but my legs felt OK. I concentrated on form today and that seemed improve my splits, as my cadence was the same as it usually is for training runs but my stride was a bit longer. I averaged 10:11, which is quite a difference.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, that ride you were talking about was working!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah I picked up my number. I spoke nicely to the lady and she's bumped me up two pens as when I entered I was put in the 3:45-4:00 pen, so I'm now in the 3:15-3:30 pen. It's a big event with nearly 17000 finishers last year, so it will be easier for me to be a bit higher up the starting field.  I hope it doesn't get too hot - the race starts at 8:30 and at around midday today it was hot. 

Since I went to get my number, my friends have had 6 beers each at the flat!

Had a great day though. Saw loads of sight and went to that area Cal mentioned. It was a highlight actually as the views up there were truly panoramic and gorgeous. 

Here are a few pics from up there.

This is the fair ground with a cathedral behind. 

This is the cathedral from the tall ride. 

This is the general view of Barca from up at the fair ground. We got here by fanicular. 

This is the start area of the race...  Wouldn't usually be able to take this as it's a busy road, but closed today for race set up. 

...and the finish view. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Awesome, Big G - you went on the Bucket of Death! :lol: I don't know what its real name is but it's very old. Envious that you got to go on the plane ride!
    That finish is something else though, eh? I might have to do this race one year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - Barcelona is one of the favoured spring marathons for a PB too so worth putting on your 'to do' list.

Hope the boiler is OK.

Big G - amazing to think that since you entered you now need to be bumped up 2 pens :)   Hope it's not too hot for you tomorrow.

Lovely photos.

My ankle is less painful today and bruising subsided a bit more, seems to be healing quickly.   I'm getting cabin fever though and looking out the window at the lighter mornings I want to be out there, especially as it's so much warmer now.   But I know if I rest it I'll be back running ASAP and I'm keen to try and be OK for Tavy 13 next weekend.

So I thought today I'd do a bit of spring cleaning to try and burn off a bit of my restless energy :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, it does feel like a big event. A large expo, well organised, breakfast run and pasta party etc.  From memory it was about €60, so not super cheap but still pretty good (Malta was €40, which was good value).  And the route is a good one in terms of being relatively flat but also seeing most of the sights. I know a person at my club who says it's their favourite event. And of course Barca is a great city anyway.   Shades, hadn't realised you'd done it too. 

Shades, yeah I was pleased I asked. I did email them, but I was very late in sending the email as I only sent it a couple of days before I flew and so didn't get a response (race numbers/zones had already been allocated when I emailed). But I printed out my certificate from Malta and she bumped me up with no problem (because of my winning smile, of course....). Basically, she put a coloured sticker on my race number, and the marshals should know to let me into that coloured pen.  

Another full day planned today - I'm quite tired from all the sight seeing but I'm having a great time. I must make sure I take plenty of water with me again today. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, I haven't done Barcelona but runners I know love the race and PB there often.

Glad you are getting well deserved elite treatment :)

Enjoy your day, don't wear yourself out.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've read Vassos Alexander's book "Don't Stop Me Now" (a very fun read, btw) and Barca was his first marathon. Anyway, good luck Big G - don't wear yourself out with too much walking eh?
    Shades, glad the ankle is improving. Fancy coming up here and doing my cleaning for me? :D
    My boiler is fine. I was worried as, during the snow, water was dripping out of the bottom (I only realised because I'd fortuitously left an open tupperware box on top of the fridge and the boiler was dripping into it). But the engineer said it was condensate from the cold weather and the boiler itself was fine. I was apparently quite lucky as some people had had so much condensate that it backed up their boilers and fried the circuit boards!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - no, I don't fancy doing your cleaning ;)   I'll start at a furious pace, then get distracted and wander off to read or watch telly, but I have to make the most of these domestic moments while I can.

I'm not dressed yet but I've taken down the bedroom curtains and they're in the washing machine.   And I've decided to decorate the bedroom now, I've had the paint and new curtains for ages.   It's a very small bedroom so won't take too long, should be finished by tomorrow sometime.

Good news about the boiler.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, just reread your comment about 'bucket of death'. My mate was very close to having a full on panic attack!  When he got off, he immediately sparked up a cigarette as his hands were shaking. He took no pics, couldn't turn around or anything - he just clung to the side of it, taking deep breaths. 

It was odd as a quarter of the way around you felt you were going backwards, which made the stomach churn.  And then when the ride stops at the top, it kind of shuddered to a halt and was swaying in the wind a bit. My mate hated every minute, but I enjoyed it. €2 a ride for those views was worth it!  

I've done a 3 mile run this morning, and now ready to see some sights!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Your mate did better than one of mine, who flat out refused to ride it. My bestie Colin, who I travel with often, will ride literally anything, but Simon doesn't like heights, which is odd for a coaster enthusiast. I guess there is a difference between being strapped into something that sits on rails and rides like the bucket which look a bit more precarious (at least as far as he is concerned!) Us coaster peeps are a funny bunch - we all have our likes and dislikes. I don't like getting wet, so I generally avoid the splashy rides unless it's a very warm day. (We didn't go on the log flume when we visited in December. It was a bit chilly...)

I ventured up to Highbury Park parkrun today, which is my second bit of touristing within London. I really should have checked the elevation before I did, though, as I wore my Zoom Flys and then found out it was quite a hilly park. It's a two lap course, and there is a long drag up early on in the lap, which wasn't too steep, but then a short steep bit later. Both of those gave me a good test but since I run around Brockwell during my long runs, I'm not unused to hills (although I certainly don't try to run up them as quickly as I did today!) The problem for me was the downhill sections. I'm not used to the shoes and they really trigger my downhill dyspraxia (which makes me feel as though I will fall forward and faceplant) as they have a forward-rolling motion. I had to check my speed quite a bit so whilst I was overtaking people on the way up, they were coming back past me on the way down. It definitely cost me some time so I ended up with a finish time of 27:20. Only 4th in my age group too! Still, a good workout if nothing else.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Big G, I take it your mates aren’t running the marathon on a diet of fags and booze!
     I ran 11 today then nipped in the leisure centre for a sauna and steam.
  • Big G- stunning photos, it is a great city visited it once on a day trip and seeing the finish line photo brings back great memories. I think the marathon is defo on my to do list. Good luck for tomorrow in the race.

20 miles today rained heavily for the entire run but still loved it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jugula, I'm here with two non-running friends. They're off out tonight but I'm staying near the apartment to eat, and just relaxing this evening. 

I sorted out the airbnb and chose it as I have my own room and bathroom so even if they're back quite late they shouldn't really disturb me.  Having said that, I don't usually sleep brilliantly before a race anyway. 

We've had a great day, but it was starting to get really hot before lunchtime today, which is a bit of a concern for tomorrow. If it's too hot for me, I'll just have to slow down and get around it as best I can.  I'm glad I got a good time in at Malta though, as if it's too hot for tomorrow that will not do me any favours in terms of trying to get a PB. 

In other news, I put my name forward for a free entry to an Enigma event....and won!  I am not planning on doing as many of his events, but it being free is an incentive to do one!

Good luck to anyone else racing tomorrow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that must be a weird sensation going downhill in your new shoes.

steven -the rain is lovely after the cold and the snow, a good long run for you

Big G - congrats on winning a free entry from Foxy...round that lake again ;) 

I just looked at the forecast for Barcelona and you should be fine, says 16/17 at 1pm and you'll be finished before then.  Have a good run.

Good luck to everyone else racing today.   Ian - I hope Wrexham half goes well.

My ankle is a lot better not hurting now when walking although I've only walked around the flat.  No more restless energy to spare now, I'm well into the decorating.  So lots of cleaning, moving furniture, painting.   But I'm glad I've started. as it keeps my mind off not being able to run.   I'm hoping I might be able to try a little run by Tuesday.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Have a great race today.
    Shades-When is your next race? Must be really frustrating missing 2 races in a row.
    Feels very weird today having no concept of what time,normally you have a rough idea of how you are doing but I have none whatsoever,will set off comfortable and see how it pans out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - well last week's race is postponed to 25th March so not a lost race as such.

I've got Tavy 13 next weekend which I'm hoping I'll be OK for, it's very hilly so need my ankle to be OK for that for the downhills.  My ankle feels quite strong today so I'm mildly confident ;)

It is difficult when you haven't been able to put a race plan in your head for today's race, just try and enjoy it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    3:30:47. A bit disappointed with my time (I'll write more about that later) but it's a great course. Nip tape came off at 10 miles (never happened before) so let's just say the shower later is going to hurt - A LOT!!!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - congratulations - sorry you missed sub-3:30 (but only just!) and ouch!

Shades, glad the ankle is improving! As far as the shoes go, yeah, it's very unnerving. If you remember I had an episode of downhill trouble back in the Autumn, and that was with my regular shoes. I've never been great going down stairs either unless I'm very familiar with them. I think it's part of me being dyspraxic but it gets worse when I'm run-down or tired.

I'm still deciding whether I should wear the Flys for Manchester (it depends on whether the gel pads I bought can take the sting out of the balls of my feet). I think it's unlikely I will wear them for Liverpool, due to its undulating terrain.

Anyway, whoop whoop, I got my 20 done. Went with the Brockwell route again but with 4 and a bit laps this time, plus the there and back. Wore my Frees, so I had no problems with the hills, up or down, and I gelled at mile 8 and then a bit after 14 ( I was planning on 14, but I was huffing up Tulse Hill at that point and wanted to wait until I'd got my breath back). My right hip felt a bit janky for a while (not the TFL - this was more SIJ related) and I debated stopping to stretch it out but decided against that and it seemed to sort itself out after a bit.

I saw loads of daffs and croci and the beginnings of blossom on the trees, so even though the sky was grey, it cheered me up quite a lot.

Average pace was 10:37. Slowest mile was mile 5 (11:00), which is a long, unrelenting slog up a hill, while fastest was mile 16 (10:15) where I was coming down the same hill on the way home. It should have been the last mile though, which was 10:17 but my water bottle popped out of its holder and I had to retrieve it, dropping an f-bomb in front of a startled dad and his baby as I did (fortunately I think the baby was too young to understand).
    All things considered, I did not feel terrible towards the end.  Tired, yes, and bum and hammies were grumbling from all the hills, but I felt I could have run longer if needed. Feet were starting to get a little sore but nothing like when I wore the Zoom Flys during The Big Half.
    Incidentally, my masseur took a look at them and said I didn't have much fat there, but that it was worse on the left foot. I may end up in Hokas when I get a bit older!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done, still a very good time.  Just a few months ago that would have been a PB for you.

Put your Bodyglide on the sore bit before your shower, should ease the ouch moment.  :'(  if you read this after your shower.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Big G, congratulations on a very decent time. Bodyglide is the way to go!
    Cal, well done on the 20, you’re ramping up the miles after those injuries.
    No run for me today, might get out tomorrow, then got a busy work week.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades/Jugula, tip noted...for future reference. I think I may have ruined a Trotters vest too. 

Cal, well done on the 20. 

A fuller report now, but I'll skip to the end as it was a very amusing sight. I was as bad as the rest of them, but watching a lot of runners trying to navigate the downward stairs into the subway after the race was very amusing. Lots of holding onto the hand rail, taking one step at a time, going down backwards or sideways was funny to see. And some of these would have been quick runners as I didn't mess about after the race - I grabbed my bag and I was gone as soon as possible. 

To the race, I got the Metro down to start area and was feeling quite calm, whereas before Malta I was a bag nerves for some reason. I got myself sorted and made my way to the start pen where the marshal initially tried to turn me away until I pointed out the sticker, so that all worked well. 

It was good conditions for me and remained so all race. Yesterday was hot but today was overcast, but I'd put sun cream on just in case, so no complaints there. As almost a spur of the moment decision I decided to see if could get 3:15 and went out at that pace and went through on target, and was feeling ok (apart from the nips, but I won't mention those again, except to say I did stop a few times to get some Vaseline from the first aid). I got to 18 and was struggling, and then at 20 the 3:15 pacers passed me (I hadn't realised I was in front of them) and the pacer busses were packed, so getting over taken by then was demoralising but I was 100% sure sub-3:30 was still on. I 'just' had to do under 9s and I was able to do that and thought I had plenty of time. Unfortunately, my Garmin was out (26.5 it measured) and that blew the 3:30 time, so that's a lesson learned really as I could have gone a bit quicker so I shouldn't have relied on the watch being accurate. 

I am a bit disappointed with the time, mainly because I did kind of detonate at 20. But I'm glad I tried to go out hard as I usually go out fairly easy, so at least in some ways I can say I tried.  I have work to do to knock those 5mins off from Malta, but I'm glad I tried. I'm not making excuses but I did do a lot of sightseeing and legs were tired yesterday. But having said that, I just felt knackered aerobically as opposed to having tired legs. However, it's still my 3rd best time and I can't PB every race, can I!

As for the race itself, it is a good one. Well organised, decent medal and shirt, water and ISO every 2.5K and at certain points there was fruit, plus nuts. It's pretty flat, and the course takes in Barca's football group (not inside), Sagrada Famila plus another Gaudi building, Arc de Triomf (which we ran under), etc. There was one dull bit for a total of about 4K but other than that the course was great. 

I can't keep saying this as there's are so many others out there, but I would do it again.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thats a cracking time again,well done and there's no way you should be disappointed with it.
    Cal-Well done on the 20.
    Wrexham half for me today,finished on 1:39,9 mins outside my pb but actually my 2nd best time,didn't push too hard at the end as I knew i was under 1:40,felt quite tough in the middle stages from a lack of fitness.Overall pretty happy and gives me a decent base to work from.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well you went for it, Big G - can't really be disappointed after an effort like that! (I can relate to the stairs bit too... I remember coming back from the Richmond Running Festival where I did the half, and saw a lad in running gear struggling down the stairs at the train station. "You did the marathon, didn't you?" I asked. Yes. Yes he did. :lol: )

Ian, excellent time, well done!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal/Ian, yeah I suppose I can't be disappointed. I hoped I was I shape for 3:15 but I'm clearly not, so at least now I know. The depressing thing is that those 15mins were probably lost in the last 6 miles or so, but then that's what happens if you off too quick I suppose. I'm still glad I tried though. 

Ian, that's a good time after the injury you've had. As you say, something to build on.  How was the achilles?

Shades, official time for your list is 3:30:44. 

As for me, I've just eaten the largest pizza I think I've ever had, and then hoovered up a lovely tiramisu...