Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry for multiple messages.  Shades, I've seen on Facebook that the Grizzly are still putting on their shorter event (The Cub).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - didn't Strava used to sponsor parkrun too?

Oh that's a shame for young Trotter but nothing he can do about that.  I hope he finds another race to do. 

I've never done the Grizzly either as it's as hard as a marathon but too short so not worth the effort.  Years ago, the same Trotter that forgot her glasses at our LDWA event, asked me to enter as she wanted to run it.   It was paper entry then but you had to enter by return of post to get a place.  She gave me the entry form with instructions to complete immediately but I sat on it for a week then sent it in.  She never understood why she got a place and I didn't :D 

Grizzly is permitted by ARC, permit insurance from UKA or ARC does not cover cancellation due to the weather.   If a race wants cancellation insurance due to the weather they'd have to buy that themselves and I can't see that would be cheap and after the last few weeks it will be even dearer next year.   That's why races have details of cancellation in their terms and conditions.   What a nasty couple reacting to the cancellation like that on FB, I bet they've never helped out at a race in their lives.   In these conditions I don't see how you can expect marshals to stand out for over 6 hours.   Good for them putting on The Cub, they must have worked all night to work out a safe route.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I received my number from Great Welsh a couple of days ago, nice touch taping the safety pins to the back of the number.   I shouldn't need them as I'm just about to order some of these...

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, it's a topic that comes up about cancellation insurance.  The insurers want to know a lot of information, so it's really not straight forward.  Also, I am not 100% sure how valid that "in event of cancellation, no refunds will be given" statement is - I wonder what would happen if a group of runners decided to take a race to court on the grounds that the race hasn't delivered what they said they were going to?

To be honest though, I think a lot of it is people on Facebook making a lot of noise about things they don't understand, or think about.  That is a common thing on Facebook generally, unfortunately.

Regarding parkrun, I don't know if they had a tie in with Strava officially.  I know on the parkrun results lists, if a runner links their parkrun profile with Strava, the parkrun results have a link to that runner's Strava profile, but I don't know if they ever had any other affiliation.

I haven't received my race number yet, but I'm sure I will do soon.  Those clips look good, but do you have to punch holes in the number to get them to work?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - if a race is cancelled because of the weather therefore out of the race organisers control then they can put that in their terms and conditions.  Isn't weather treated as an 'Act of God'   And we agree to the Terms and Conditions when we make a purchase/enter a race so 'buyer beware'.  If a group of runners ever took a race to court for that I would cheerfully shoot the runners, they would damage our sport by such a foolish action.   

I'm sure I saw Strava all over parkrun's website a couple of years ago, I think it was when we discussing starting up parkruns.

Yes, you have to punch holes in the race numbers, I've got an ordinary hole puncher for paper at home, so that should do it or I could buy one to put in my race kit for when I collect numbers on the day, or use safety pins for those races.   The Great Welsh number already has pre-punched holes which is convenient.

Right must go and do some housework :(
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven/BigG-Sorry your races are cancelled,2 big HM up here are both cancelled aswell,just trimpell 20 going ahead that I can see.
    After settling down it feels like my right soreness is more at the lower part of the back of the heel so hopefully not linked to the achilles.
    Had a good talk to the wife about it all as she really doesn't want me to give up and told me a few home truths about the different person I am since I've been running and also spoke to the physio so I'm going to get running again,but slow right down so less likely to aggravate it.No race or time targets and see what happens.
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Sorry for those who have races cancelled but the people who complain on Facebook about it would probably be the first to complain and claim compensation if they had an accident due to the weather and want to know why it wasn’t cancelled! These people are the reason I don’t do Facebook.
    It snowed overnight and was quite cold this morning but the pavements were wet so I guess the snow was melting, I ran 11 miles with 3 people from the local running club, they were going to run Reading half but as it was cancelled were at a loose end, it got colder towards the end and the wind had picked up so those wet pavements might freeze which won’t be good.
  • Shades- We were expecting strong winds and cold weather and I think the snow has caught us by surprise. Woke up to a few inches of snow and due to it being a surprise no paths are good to run on so it's unfortunate I can't get out for a run today.
    Big G- I won't probably be able to enter another one as next weekend I have plans then I'm back working the next 4 weekends then it's the Stirling Marathon. I will probably test myself on one of my other runs to see where I'm at.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I spoke to soon earlier,went for an easy 5 miles and it started aching after 3,the right is definitely achilles also,going to stick to my plan and run more with the wife at her pace,will keep me motivated helping her get ready for her races,will also keep me a minute per mile slower than usual.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Evening folks..hope there hasn’t been too much disruption with all the snow.. I too had my original plans change last minute. I was going to run the Forest of Dean half but it was cancelled. So I searched for local races and found the Maidstone road run half. I went down this morning and entered. I warmed up 30 min before the race and lined up for the start. It started and I quickly found myself amongst the leaders and it pretty much stayed that way for the first 3 miles. The first guy started to pull away and the second guy followed leaving me to run the rest of the race by myself. It was described as a challenging course with a grade 4 hill, I’d say it was an undulating route with Mount Everest in the middle.. I was forced to walk for a short time cause of calf cramps but soon got back into my stride when I reached the top.. with a mile to go we joined the 10k runners heading to the finish.. I rounded the last corner and saw the clock and had to sprint to the finish to finish in 1:24:59 (new PB) 3rd overall and 1st V40. So a good start to this years racing.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ian - glad you and your wife have had a serious talk about your running.   Anyway you can't give up now as your wife is just getting into it and is looking forward to those trips away ;)   Take if very easy, maybe complete rest and let that 2nd injury heal up, although you think it's your achilles too that doesn't mean it's tendonitis in that leg, it could just be a simple strain.

Good to hear that the Trimpell 20 went ahead, my friend was due to run it but can't see her in the results, she's not one to be put off by a bit of bad weather but maybe it was the travel.

steven - much harder to do a time trial on your own than do a race but I think you're experienced enough to know how fit you are and what you can go for at Stirling.

Iain - brilliant and you must be in great shape to PB on that course and in the cold with calf cramps.   Your training must be going well, you must have been working hard with your coach.

Well we have what I call 'proper' snow down here and the most I've ever seen since living in this part of Devon, 37 years.   We have about 4 to 6 inches, it's just stopped snowing now after 24 hours constant.   But we don't appear to have the debilitating ice that we had last time and the snow appears soft in most place.   I went out for a walk in it yesterday and it was lovely, the parks were full of laughter with so many playing in the snow.   I'm going out for a short run once I've booked my Pilates class at 7 a.m. as I'm sure I can find enough soft snow to run in.   It's still very cold and I've dug out my face warmer again, thought I'd packed that away for this year.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - unfortunately aside from setting me a training plan (which I find very difficult to stick to 100% due to life happening) my "coach" has been very non existent and I've not had any feedback or guidance but It hasn't cost me anything so I've not lost anything. . 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hey guys. Sorry about all the race cancellations. This weather is ridiculous. I got back from Vienna late last night and I consider myself lucky to have made it back that early, considering. Weather was a bit of a wash out for me too. Prague wasn't bad but the fair they had there only opened some of the rides, so I missed two of the coasters there (but go the other two) and then once we got to Vienna, it was freezing - -4 yesterday. Glad I took my thermals, buff and hat! Prater opened four of the coasters on Saturday, which we rode while it was snowing, but then everything else closed and remained closed on Sunday. Very disappointing. But I did get to enjoy some culture and the architecture in both cities is stunning. I'll definitely have to return to Vienna in the future.
    I decided not to run today as the pavements are still slippery but it should be warmer tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - pity your coach hasn't been giving you any ongoing help but you've done very well, can't be easy with your job.

Cal - I did wonder if you'd get back OK glad you made the most of what you could do.   Vienna is a lovely place, I'm determined to do the marathon there at some time.

Well my hoped for run in the snow didn't work.   The snow is too deep to run in, I tried and it was like running in glue.  I tried on the paths that had been trodden on and that was too slippery, so I gave up trying to run at all and walked 4 miles in the deep snow, which was quite a good work out for my legs.   Hardly any traffic around and most driving carefully, the industrial estate is like a ghost town.   Don't think I'll be able to get out even to walk tomorrow as the snow/ice is now starting to freeze everywhere, thaw is expected tomorrow.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted by the marathon myself - it's 22nd April so I guess it's a good one if I don't get into London again. It will be a very scenic one for sure.
    Talking of which, I have my Manchester number - 9805. Let's hope I can stay on top of my niggles between now and the race.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, a good option if you don't get into London.   I believe you finish on an impressive avenue to the sounds of Strauss :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-pity about the coasters,need to go again in the summer.
    Shades-im not going to stop running but I am reducing it to twice a week along with joining a gym for a couple of months so I can do other cardio work.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice PB there Iain!  

Cal, good news you enjoyed the cities but unfortunate you weren't able to do the rides. I'd go back to Vienna too as I really enjoyed it although I also went when it was very cold in November. Xmas markets were good at that time of year though!  The marathon is on my list too. 

I'm writing this from Edinburgh(!!), as I'm staying with a couple of friends. Flights were peanuts (my friends messaged me a few weeks ago when they noticed the prices were very low) and with no accommodation costs in the city I was looking forward to it, but I was really unsure about whether I'd make it due to the weather!  In the end I booked a cheap B&B close to the airport for last night and the main roads were ok yesterday PM so I got to Bristol fine.  Flight was 2hrs delayed this morning but I'm here, which looked very, very unlikely 24hrs ago!

No snow here but it's cold, although quite sunny. 

I'm currently in the cafe where JK Rowling wrote her early books and I have to say the coffee is very good!
  • Shades- I totally agree that it is harder to time trial on your own. I know barring injury during the race what time I could get comfortably and I know I'm in better shape than this time last year. I've a few weeks training still to do before Stirling so I'm still hopeful of getting my target time.

Ian- glad you've decided to keep running and that you o/h has caught the running bug. I think sometimes we all need our better half's to tell us a few home truths.

Big G- Hope you'll  enjoy Edinburgh it's a fantastic city. I am biased as it is my home city to be fair.

10 miles today with the final 3 miles around m/p. First run in about 1 week. All snow has cleared but it was bitterly cold with the east wind.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Sorry to hear you are in a bad place. Like Big G says, maybe a few weeks rest to reset is what you need to come back stronger.
    Shades - No it's an optical HR! That's true, I think it's the hotels that add a bit to the cost.
    OTB - I have the Roclite 280s, really good shoes.

16 miles for me on Saturday, out the door at 6:30am!! Ran 8:02 average, which was happy with as was keeping the pace easy. Was bitterly cold and my hands were so painful when I had finished. Picked up some Montaine gloves in the afternoon. Then another 11 miles on Sunday at 8:22s in the snow, but again kept it easy, new gloves kept my hands warm, which was a bonus, love running in the snow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - joining the gym is a good idea as you can usefully use your running time in keeping fit.

Big G - you jetsetter :)  Have a lovely time in Edinburgh.

steven - I hope you get your target time at Stirling.  I've heard that they amended the course to improve it this year.   Good news you could finally get out for a run today.

Steve - you can expect more random/rogue HR readings with the optical.   However. they're reliable for measuring your resting HR and that's the one that usually signifies that you could be coming down with a virus or overtraining.

It's only this weather which is extreme for us when you really need the decent kit.   Those gloves are a good investment.

Re a topic I mentioned a few months ago about lots of runners having their credit/debit cards scammed after using Active.com.  Active.com have now finally admitted that there is a problem and that was over a 10 month period and have sent out emails, I don't have one as I closed my account.    This is after months of us emailing them saying there was a problem and they denied it, they are a bunch of crooks.   I can only advise that you ask the race organisers for an alternative method of payment and avoid Active.com so race organisers stop using them, although they have to give 12 months notice to leave them!!!

No run for me today, bitterly cold and we have a heavy frost.   The roads are dry and clear but unfortunately the pavements still have snow and now ice.  I can't run on the roads as the traffic is almost back to normal, but it's due to thaw today.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a copy of the Active.com email.   I have a friend who is a race organiser and despite asking Active about this they've still not informed any event organisers.   Active will tell you how secure their website is yet this happened over a 10 month period! 

"We are writing to inform you that we recently became aware of a security incident involving the ACTIVE Network, including ACTIVE Works and ACTIVE Endurance (“Active”) which may have impacted your personal information.
    What Happened
    Active recently identified suspicious activity on one of its systems. We worked with leading cybersecurity firms to determine that the activity related to transactions manually keyed in by users while checking out on the Active website between December of 2016 and September of 2017. During this time period, personal information that you provided as part of the checkout process may have been accessed by unauthorized third parties.
    What Information Was Involved
    The information may have included your name, address, email address, credit or debit card number, expiration date, and cardholder verification code (the three- or four-digit value included on the front or back of payment cards and used for verification of certain transactions).
    What We Are Doing
    As soon as Active identified the suspicious activity, it engaged leading cybersecurity firms to investigate the incident and took steps to enhance its monitoring tools and security controls. Active has also taken steps to contain and remediate the incident and is notifying the Information Commissioner’s Office.
    What You Can Do
    We encourage you to be diligent in watching for unauthorized activity associated with your payment card accounts and to quickly report suspicious activity to your bank or credit card company. The phone number to call is usually on the back of the credit or debit card.
    If you suspect potentially fraudulent activity associated with the use of your payment cards or your personal information, you may find it helpful to consult the resources on the National Fraud and Cybercrime Reporting Centre's website, Action Fraud, available here:
    https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/support_for_you.
    For More Information
    We apologize for any inconvenience this incident may cause. You may contact us toll-free at 001-800-338-3104, between 12:00pm and 6:00am (UK time), if you have any questions or would like additional information about this incident".

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Finally they admit an issue!! Everyone knew it was them anyway! Not surprised you didn't run, was icy around here yesterday. Yeah, gloves were not cheap, but I really suffer with my hands in the cold, so a worthwhile investment if I need to be out in the cold for 2 hours!!

No ice today, real easy 6 miles keeping HR low (124bpm for 9:24 average).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - it's a pity they haven't told race organisers.   I contacted 3 race organisers this morning and they all replied to me within minutes, very concerned and have contacted Active.  All 3 hold sizeable events using Active.  I mentioned to one race organiser that there is a 12 months notice period to leave Active and he said if he doesn't get the assurances that he requires he'll ditch them at 5pm today, he holds a lot of big events with Active.

Sun is out here but ice not melting yet.

That's a nice low HR for you today :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian - sounds like a sensible plan. You'll come back a lot stronger I'm sure.
    Big G - have a nice time up there!

As I'd decided it was a bit icy to run yesterday, I did my first run of the week today. I waited until 9.30am to give any remaining ice a chance to melt, but it was still pretty cold. The air temp wasn't bad, actually, but there was a very bitter wind and I got pelted with drizzle at one point. (Typically, the sun peeked out after I got home. Bah!)
    I always feel stiff and uncoordinated after a break (even a short one) and I was expecting the first mile to be well over 11 minutes, so I was pretty surprised when my watch showed 10:22. The rest of the run was around last year's MP, except for mile 5 which was 9:45, though it is a little bit down hill and it's often the fastest mile of my middling distance runs.
    Unfortunately that sore groin/thigh muscle is still sore. Not quite sure what's going on there. I can run with it but I know the marathon distance will root out any weakness you have and make you pay so I should probably get it looked at, even though money is tight right now.
  • Steve- good running and HR.

5 easy miles this afternoon finally in some sunshine i was even able to run in a t-shirt. For a brief moment I thought it was summer.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Cal - is this a different/new niggle, not connected to your recent hip problem?

steven - don't be so rash, put that thermal vest back on ;)   But I've noticed too that when the sun does come out there is a bit of warmth in it.  

I woke just after 4 a.m. and couldn't wait to get up and go out for a run, I've lost 3 days due to the weather. Ran down the main road and then back on the country lanes, unfortunately that was a bad choice as the back road was icy and I had to stop and tiptoe over a lot of ice and/or where I could walk in the ditch.  Some was melt off the fields and some was just sections where the sun didn't dry out the road yesterday.  The ice walking knocked over half a mile off my run but apart from that it was a good run, sun came out, it's very cold though

With 2 lots of snow/ice and my ankle sprain I am already 123 miles behind on my mileage target for March, :'(   but I've given up worrying about my training now.  However, we have our sports psychology session on Friday night so I'm hoping that will fire me up enough to compensate for any lack of training.   There are going to be 2 sessions and this is the first one and we've been told that to get maximum benefit to attend both.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I haven't used this feature before but my Garmin has an Activity Tracker, which I imagine is similar to what a Fitbit does. I was interested to know what a day out in Edinburgh would be and it was 9 miles and 17000 steps!  The feature doesn't show a map, at least partly because using gps would drain the battery. It also reckons I had 8:41 sleep, but only 2:52 of deep sleep.  Not sure how accurate all this is, but interesting anyway. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's not entirely new, Shades (and it's more than likely connected - the TFL is still a bit gripey when I prod it) - this is the area I injured doing squats a couple of years ago after all. It's always been a bit tricksy (it's less happy about going into certain yoga hip openers than the other side) but has generally been OK during runs. However, it didn't feel quite right during my 20 and then I had to take a couple of days off. I was hoping my trip away would give it chance to settle. I suspect that downhill running might have ticked it off a a bit - I did do the Finsbury parkrun and then the 20 miler, both hilly runs, on consecutive days, and there's quite a bit of jarring coming downhill on hard paths.

Anyway, lovely day today, so ended up doing 10 miles at MP and, while I had a twinge or two, it felt fine to run on. I'm very conscious of my posture so I'm making an effort not to collapse into my pelvis, so to speak - not too bad over a medium distance but when I'm 4 hours into a marathon it'll be a lot trickier to maintain.
    My hamstring/bum grumbled a lot, though but it can shut up as I know resting does diddly squat for it.
    I think I'll hold off the physio for now - he'll just tell me to do exercises, which I'm doing anyway. I'll probably get a massage nearer the race instead.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's quite a lot of sightseeing you're doing.   I suppose the sleep tracker is guessing by using your heartrate.

Cal - if that 20 miler was your last long run you have a chance for that niggle to clear up but as you say it will probably come on late in the marathon.   I agree not worth seeing the physio at this time.