Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Oh and Ian - I think not doing a 10k is a sensible decision!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Louey and OTB tomorrow. I hope you have great races and I'm already looking forward to the race reports. 

Shades/Ian, good you're both showing some restraint!!

Steven, as has been said, try and rest up a bit. The training is done so focus on getting better for race day. 

MF, good luck with the long run tomorrow. 

I'm here in Wales and it's been a great day weather-wise. Sunny, but not too hot. Shades, I'm actually staying on the other side of the estuary from Llanelli so haven't been over there yet. It's about 20mins from my airbnb to race HQ, so it's not too bad. 

We've had a great day though. There are loads of sandy beaches - mainly fairly deserted - and it's been really nice walking around. We firstly went to Broughton Bay before finding a pub for a spot of carb loading (a lovely pizza with some chips), and then we went over to Rhossili Bay and it was really stunning around there. Interesting too as there's some land called Worms Head and people can walk over to it, but only when the tide is out. These pics don't do it justice and I'm slightly embarrassed to say I hadn't realised how stunning the coast line is over here. 

I'm back at the airbnb now, which is fantastic, with views over the estuary from the room. We've paid £134 for 3 nights (room as private bathroom), and it includes breakfast (yogurt, cereal, fruit, toast) and is dog friendly. The owner is really friendly too, and had provided OS maps etc, which is great. Just in the village there is a fish and chip shop, so I'll be going there soon (sorry Shades!). 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-Forgot you were racing also,good luck for the day.
    Didn't run today but some of our club were in the nationals,mens didn't medal but never expected to with some of the top clubs in the country there but our kids done amazing,the u15 girls came 2nd and the u15 boys came 1st so a great day for the club.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck Big G and Louey!
    Starting to feel a little better today. I was run director at parkrun and the weather was glorious. I had another little walk later on. And in other news, one of my horses won the National so I'm £60 up. That should keep me fed for another couple of weeks...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck all runners today.

Big G - lovely photos, hope the weather is clear today so you can enjoy the views from the other side of the estuary while running.     
    There seems to be plenty of fish and chip shops in Wales :) 

Cal - congrats on your win, good timing as you're in between tenants

Ian - a promising future for the juniors in your club 

I was going to take another rest day today but woke to hear the sad news that Callum Hawkins collapsed and DNF'd the Commonwealth marathon with only a mile to go, apparently he is OK, weather too hot for him I guess.   

I assume he's been doing some warm weather training but as a Scot he may not be able to adjust as easily as someone who lives further south.    I remember one year doing Lochaber marathon, weather was perfect and warmed up gently to 14 degrees.   Quite a few of the Scottish runners on RW couldn't cope that day with the conditions as just not used to it whereas us Southerners enjoyed the conditions.

But a lesson to us all that the marathon can be a cruel and unpredictable beast.

So I went out and did a gently 4 miles, no real improvement in injury, and after a day off the ibuprofen, back on them for another couple of days and my guru friend has advised cancelling all my classes this week :(

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just seen a video of the start of the Great Welsh and it's wet and windy there, can be a tough course when the weather is bad.   
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Oh that's not good, Shades. I hope you manage to get it right for next weekend.
    I did 4 miles this morning, too. As the cold seems to have gone (it was a dry cold - no snot, just sore throat, sneezing and a general feeling of malaise) I thought I might do 6 but my calves thought otherwise. Lord knows why, but both soleus feel sore as hell. I still have some swelling in my lower legs from the marathon so I'm by no means recovered. Plenty of time left before Liverpool, though. I've had an Epsom Salt bath and will go to Yin yoga at midday.
    I read about Hawkins - terrible luck. I agree it's likely the weather. I had a rubbish few races during the summer last year simply down to it being warm - I certainly wouldn't want to run a marathon in anything more than 15 degrees.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - my injury is no worse and I think it's manageable.   The good thing about it is that it doesn't hurt to walk so it's not bothering me unless I run, which means I'm not reminded of it.  So 2 days rest now then last short run on Wednesday.   My friend only advised cancelling classes as a precaution so as not to accidentally do a stretch that might set back recovery.

Maybe all that walking has caused your soleus muscles to be a little sore?   Do you normally have swelling in your lower legs after a marathon?   Good that you're feeling better though.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I doubt it's walking as I've not been walking that much or very far. I did get some swelling last year - can't remember when it was, though. It could be down to 4+ hours of pounding on tarmac, but it could also be down to all the sitting on my arse I've been doing while resting. It does seem a little better today.
  • When I got home from work last night I watched Callum Hawkins in the marathon and it was distressing to watch any runner  to suffer like he did.  No doubt the weather played a huge part during the commentary they mentioned he had been in Australia for a moth trying to adapt to the heat. When he first collapsed and then got back up he ran about a further 800m on very unsteady legs swaying from side to side before falling hard again. I thought for such an event that the time it took medical help to arrive was shocking. From his first fall until medical help arrived was easily 10 minutes or more it was distressing to watch and then to have spectators to video/photograph him when he was striking on the floor was to me in my opinion disgraceful.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Wow, that was a toughie!

I got to the start on time but was umming and ahhing about to wear as it was raining and also cold - it was definitely one of those 'what am I doing?!' moments, as I was queuing for the portaloos. 

I had some paracetamol about 20mins before the race and didn't need anything else - ribs were totally fine, which is really good, so hopefully they'll be ok tomorrow too. I did have a twinge in my left knee at about 24 miles, but it went away as quickly as it came and it didn't hold me up at all. I'll keep an eye on it though.  

I can see it would be a picturesque course, but today the wind was really bad, and the nature of the course means that we were running into a strong headwind for about half the event (of course you never make back the lost time in the tail wind). 

Anyway, I went though half in about 1:55 and was feeling ok in myself and eased into my stride a bit on the tail wind section - knowing the next head wind section was still to come. 

At about 22 miles I saw sub-4 slipping away and had to really dig in to get it done, so I'm really pleased to have finished in an official time of 3:58:19.  It would have been really easy to say 'sod this!' and walk to the finish, so I'm please I stuck out.  That 3:29 at Nottingham seemed easy in comparison...running is a strange thing sometimes!!

Afterwards I was swaying a bit but sausage and chips at the finish sorted me out, as did a bath back at the airbnb. 

Would I do it again?  As I was out there I was saying 'never again!!', but who knows ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well if it's not unusual for you, then nothing to worry about and as you say probably not helped by sitting down a lot.   You need to find a way to sit at your PC and elevate your feet post marathon week!

When I got home from work last night I watched Callum Hawkins in the marathon and it was distressing to watch any runner  to suffer like he did.  No doubt the weather played a huge part during the commentary they mentioned he had been in Australia for a moth trying to adapt to the heat. When he first collapsed and then got back up he ran about a further 800m on very unsteady legs swaying from side to side before falling hard again. I thought for such an event that the time it took medical help to arrive was shocking. From his first fall until medical help arrived was easily 10 minutes or more it was distressing to watch and then to have spectators to video/photograph him when he was striking on the floor was to me in my opinion disgraceful.

steven - I couldn't agree more.   I've just finished watching the marathons and that was heart breaking to watch.  The officials at the finish would have been watching the same coverage we were and the first time he fell they should have sent an ambulance out if only to shadow him, that was only 2km from the finish.   But they should know a runner doesn't collapse and then get up and finish OK.   I know the spectators can't help him but it was disgusting that they then took photos of him, I wonder if any of them phoned for an ambulance.

But well done Robbie Simpson to finish in 3rd place, he paced his race well.

Big G - well done.   I did say it was a tough course in the wind and the rain especially that last section out to the coastal apartments and back.    I usually have a sausage sandwich at the finish, very good food there.

Great that the ribs caused you no discomfort.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Big G. That sounded tough. I hate running in the wind so can relate.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    My half was my hardest event to date, I’ve never raced nursing a injury before. I thought it was ok as Wednesday run was ok, Thursday little sore but nothing like it was and fine rest of week and walked into town (3mile total) to see if ache retuned.  Back rest and ice and fingers crossed for Newport. Still can swim and cycle.

• LoueyLouey ✭✭✭
    Hello! I will do a proper race report soon (I promise - I still have the one from Portsmouth to post  :#

Finished in 4:04.59. Pleased I sneaked under 4:05.

Although it wasn't the time I was hoping for, it was probably my best Brighton experience for many reasons, not least that the toilet queues were not as epic as in previous years so I actually made it to the start line with my wave. 

Went through the first half in 1.57ish, so on track but I got a stitch from mile 15 which proved very difficult to shake off and then the wheels fell off a bit from mile 18 onwards. My quads were threatening to cramp up so I had to stop a couple of times to stretch them out and avoid full on cramp. It did work fortunately and I managed to get through to the end. 

On another day, I think it would have been a pb but I'm actually not disappointed in the end. 

BigG - well done - those conditions sounded really tough so to get a sub4 is really very good. Wind plays havoc with your pace. And I'm really glad your ribs are fine. Those photos were amazing - almost makes me want to go to Wales! 

Jelly - sorry you didn't have a good race, fingers crossed that you recover very quickly. 

Cal - sounds like you need a longer recovery period. 

I'd heard about Callum Hawkins - haven't seen the pictures but I can't believe they didn't have help on hand given where he was on the course. 

Looking forward to watching London next Sunday from my armchair. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes the juniors look very good,I think our club has had a lot of amazing juniors but it doesn't always translate into seniors,some leave to go uni etc and run there but also there's definitely not the same focus on seniors being coached.
    Tough on Hawkins,Just going to 25 hurt me in GC.
    Big G-Well done on toughing it out,hard day by the sound of it so great effort to get sub 4 again.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Louey, well done. A friend of a friend did Brighton for charity and he took over 7 hours! (I guess he walked a lot...) Medal looked very nice though.
    BBC Sport has a video of Hawkins if you're curious. It looked rough as hell. Glad he's OK.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Louey - well done another good marathon from you and obviously from your post you really enjoyed it, which after all is what we all want most of all from our races.   Maybe the later start time helped sort out their loos/start problems too.

Ian - well we're adults as seniors and I guess don't want to be told what to do :D 

Callum Hawkins prepared for the conditions down to a daft routine of changing his hat every 5k but I think he made a mistake running on in front when he did.   If he'd assessed his competitors around him there was no need to make a break for it when he did.   But it's easy to say that in hindsight and you never know how the heat will affect you.  I've done a few in 30+ degrees, not recommended.

Jelly - I did think you were going to defer as that was a very tough half, but well done for getting round.  Unfortunately racing with an injury will happen again, that's just part of our sport.

OTB - how did you get on at Brighton?

Rest day again for me, fed up of all these rest days.   Feeling a bit restless so will direct my energy towards a bit of housework this morning and then watch Boston marathon on telly this afternoon :)   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Louey, glad you're happy with how the race went, and that you enjoyed it. Would you recommend it - it's not one that's ever been on my radar really. 

Jelly, sorry you had a bad run. Rest up a bit and see how you are in a few days. 

I haven't seen the Hawkins incident but I see some are critical of the Aussie for overtaking him. As I say, I haven't seen it, but I'd have thought pretty much anything goes at that elite level, especially with medics in attendance (or should have been). I would have been really surprised if he'd stopped anyway. 

Great running weather here today (typical!) if a bit cold. But the wind has dropped and I got a nice 3 mile recovery run in along the estuary and back. Legs feel ok in that there are no niggles, but there's some general stiffness/tiredness. 

I did treat myself to a very nice steak last night, but I'm going to try and cut out some of my food - quantity wise - when I get back and see if that makes a difference to my weight. 

Lots of walking planned today and heading home late afternoon. 

I see on the race results from yesterday there were only 310 finishers (plus a handful of DNFs and a DQ). The race was sold out with a 500 limit so I wonder if the bad weather put a lot of runners off - 150+ non starters seems a lot. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - if you fancy Brighton marathon entries are open now for next year £65 and very expensive place Brighton too.  Cal deliberately DNS'd the race as costs were so expensive.

I can't believe any idiot would criticise Shelly for passing Hawkins when he'd collapsed, it's a race, Shelly got it right, Hawkins didn't.   And Hawkins wasn't on his own, there were spectators there although they did nothing.   The CEO of the race organisation should be shot, he did an press interview yesterday saying the reason it took so long for medics to treat Hawkins is that Hawkins said he wanted to carry on, I'm not medically trained but I could see he was delirious.  Still no excuse for not having an ambulance sent out straight away.   You should watch it although it's terrible to see, he collapsed and then got up and ran on for a couple of minutes before collapsing again.

Good to hear you got your recovery run in, it's a lovely area for running.

Re the DNS's the entries opened early last year with Early Bird prices and then Newport marathon was announced so that's maybe had some affect on starters.   I expect the DNF's were weather related and I saw from the splits that the DQ had taken a short cut as one of the splits was out of sync with her pace.   Good to see they were on the ball with that as it's very difficult to go wrong on that course.

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Louey - Well done on Brighton, sounds like you had a much more enjoyable experience than last time and came out with a great result too.

Big G - Fab photos, really is beautiful there. Wouldn't like to run there in the wind mind you so a big well done for braving that AND sticking your head down to get your sub 4 too. Enjoy your walking (and refuelling!) today.

Jelly - Sorry to hear you didn't have a good race.. what happened?

Shades - Your house is going to be spotless. 

Saw that clip of Callum Hawkins, was painful to watch. Why did he change his hat so often.. sweat?

Got my first long run in yesterday and it went very well, all things (ie lack of training) considered. If I manage to do one a week up until the week before Blaye that will be 4 long runs so hopefully that will be just enough. Words "teeth" and "skin of" leap to mind  :|
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - you're certainly catching up on your training :) 

My house won't be spotless, I've gone off the idea of housework today, it can wait :) 

I think Hawkins hat changing was copying another runner's system, I think Steve Cram said Galen Rupp, not sure.   The other farcical part of the race organisation was that to avoid 'contamination' they didn't remove the tops from the water bottles, not even the seals.   We all know how hard it can be to open a bottle of water when running, some of the runners were using their teeth.  The danger of that is that some runners may not have been able to get enough water especially when they were tired and already suffering.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    I’ve managed to get Doctors appointment today to see what’s up with my leg,  was a little shocked it was so quick only phoned up as normally two week wait so thought I could cancel if it sorts it self out. Still at work but left bike in shed and not swimming or doing strength until I’ve got advise what it could be.  Pain is little different to last week. Below knee on the inside next to shin. Feeling very fed up, it really wasn’t to bad Wednesday and I was running up and down stairs fine Saturday as if it was back to normal. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - lucky you could get an appointment so quickly.   Hope your doc does sports injuries, most don't but can certainly refer you for x-ray or NHS physio.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Louey & OTB - Congrats on Brighton.
    Big G - Well done on getting another sub 4.
    MF - Nice long run.
    Shades - Ultra is 20th May.

22 miler for me on Saturday. Planned to do 6 at long run pace and 2 at MP twice and then 6 easy to finish. Plan was to run with hydration pack to get used to that again. However went too fast on the 2nd MP mile and it turned out to be closer to LT. So did 6 easy, 1 MP, 1LT, 6 easy, 1MP, 1LT, 6 easy, with 0.25m walking breaks every 10 miles!!! Finished with 22 miles @ 7:55 average. first section was 6:56 (MP)/6:33 (LT) and second was 6:51 (MP)/6:27( LT). Was an interesting run and defo different to just doing 22 miles at long run pace.
    Sunday was an easy 13 miler @ 8:17s to finish off a 60 mile week.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, hmmm - I wouldn't enter it at that price then!

Jelly, good you got an appointment. I think you can self refer to an NHS physio also. I've been lucky the times I've used that service as the physios were also runners. 

Steve & MF, great runs by you both there. 

I've obviously got a bit of an issue as I've got 3 weeks until my next events so I'm thinking to myself 'can I squeeze one more in?'!  I'll have a look when I'm home, but I don't think it's that possible as ideally I wouldn't want to pay for an overnight stay. I'll have a better look later though.  If I can't, I'll try and do a couple of weeks of reasonable training before my next events. 

Been for a lovely walk again today - views are spectacular. Legs still feel ok although tired, so I'll see how I feel tomorrow about whether I run or not. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Louey-Missed your post,well done on being happy with your race,that's a great sign.
    Steve-Great mileage from yourself as usual.
    MF-4 long runs should do you fine as you've done some good mileage.
    Usual slow run from me last night,done 1 half decent km uphill  just to turn the legs and it felt Ok but hurt a bit at the top.
  • OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Hi All

Many thanks for all the well wishes before the race. Congratulations to Big_G and Louey with your great results.

A new PB for me 4:09!
    I had a great weekend and really enjoyed the race even though it didn't quite go the way I wanted it to.
    Stayed in a lovely Airbnb right next to the start at Preston park, so that took away any morning stress.

Felt really good reaching the start line, training had gone faultlessly and I had kept good tabs on my nutrition and hydration. All seemed perfectly aligned along with favorable weather conditions.

Decided to go with my 8:45 min/mile pace. This worked perfectly up to 18 miles, every mile glided by. I was relaxed, soaking in the atmosphere and chatting to a few runners along the way. Heart rate stayed comfortably below 140 bpm and I went through halfway at 1:55, so I really felt like I had it in the bag. 

After 18 miles my quads started to stiffen. I slowed to 9:00 min/miles but quickly deteriorated. By mile 20 I was starting to nurse the dreaded calf cramps which stopped me in my tracks in both previous attempts. The last 6 miles were hell, stop-start desperately trying to jog and push through the cramping.

As I approached the finish I could see that sneaking in under 4:10 was possible if I sprinted. So I did!
    I stumbled across the finish lines, both calf's locked out and I went down in agony! Next thing I knew I was being stretchered off to the medical tent. I blacked out with the pain and awoke to both muscles spasming like made. Not the graceful finish I wanted.

I received some basic physio and then got on my way once I felt back in the real world. Luckily the post race massage tent wasn't busy so I checked myself straight in. £20 for 20 mins was amazing!

During the race I hydrated well and took Gel's at Mile 2, 7, 12, 17 & 23 (all approx 45 mins apart after mile 2).

I am happy with the result. The first 18 miles were my best experience to date. But it'll be back to the drawing board to understand where i'm going wrong. Maybe my 8:45's were too ambitious...? Or maybe my body just isn't cut out to endurance running. I would love to finish a marathon start to finish without having to stop. So maybe that should be my focus from now on. However following Shades plan has made a decent improvement on my previous results:
    1st 4:17
    2nd 4:45

4 weeks till my first Trail race  :) I best get recovering.

Thanks everyone for your support leading up to the race. I have learn't a lot being in this group. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Glad I didn't scrape my 3:15,just been changed to 3:10.think that may be a step too far for me
    Not come up very well but it's changes in GFA for London.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Some big changes from now.
    Mens is slightly harder in most categories,ladies is slightly better 45-49.
    And it's going the same as Boston now where it's only an application to enter rather than a guarantee.
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/