Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Steven - Also put my name in for London. I can't believe the splits the pacer was running!!
  • Shades, I'd like to have a proper crack at London, did it in 2011 and 2012 both for charity and 2014 (not a proud moment and naively ran under my sisters number which I wouldn't now do again). 

Big G I've tried 2nd guessing what to put down as times and pbs, I don't think it really matters what info you put in, the odds are long.

Jugula if BT anything like Virgin Media could be a close call between the ballot and getting it all fixed.

Stevemac, my miles have been a lot slower and off road than yours, no way could I run so many at your effort level.

Again entered ballot, used to rejection so plan around it, however I do enjoy watching the facebook posts they never get old. 48th time of trying......., why don't you try a charity spot?, If you're that bothered train for a GFA, there are other marathons you know?

Rest day for me has turned into a bit of a panic as I've realized I'm a fair bit behind where I need to be on my Open Uni course.  Better dedicate a few hours over the next week or so instead of reading blogs and reviews of races.

• Hi Shades, just stumbled across this thread when Googling around for a marathon plan for next Spring. Do you still give out your marathon plan? If so, could I have a copy please? Cheers
  • JugulaJugula ✭✭✭
    Internet fixed! Big G, you were right a BT Openreach engineer called, nice bloke and was very good, nothing wrong with the line but someone had altered the connection to fibre in the green box which apparently is situated in a nearby street, he said it was probably a contractor! Anyway he sorted it out and it works fine. Plusnet are giving us £21 for the inconvenience.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve/Rob-Great mileage from you guys,looking forward to when I can do that volume again.
    Cal-Hope you get better soon,had shingles a long time ago  :'(
    Shades-Good luck with the test run.
    Big G-That mojo will return and you'l be flying again soon enough.
    Sent the wife out on a recovery run today  :D she's been telling everyone who asks to train slow and you race fast haha.I seen I was actually 2 mins quicker than last year so it shows how much I progressed that I can do that slightly injured.
    I'm no more sore today than any other day so going to slowly increase my distance and see how it feels.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Forgot to say just how well organised the race was again,these guys must be one of the best organised races around.£23 early bird entry,150 portaloos at the start and think I counted 4 lots of loos on the course,6 water stations,2 gel and Lucozade stops.
    Manage to get lots of community involvement on the route,free transfers up to 1 hour before the start and the RD's trying to shake 5000 hands at the end.
    They also organise free organised runs in the lead up to it to help people who haven't ran the distance before.
    Highly recommended for anyone in the north after a great half.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian well done to your OH. That's a time I haven't even been close to in god knows how many attempts. :(
    I got myself out to the cinema yesterday and felt not too bad after but I feel rough this morning. I can't sleep in my usual position due to the soreness so I've reverted to sleeping on my front (something I used to do but trained myself out of as I heard it was bad for you) so I've woken up with a puffy face and look a bit like a monster. I also managed to scratch the shingles patch while I was drifting off to sleep and then had to get up and put a dressing on it. Damn it.
    It's a nice day today so might go for a walk if I feel up to it. I definitely don't feel up for a run at this point.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Had a great run out with the club.  I led the 6-7 mile group with 18 of us, and we had a good run out. 

I'm really torn about this Plym Trail matathon on Saturday.  Part of me think "just do it", but then I'm worrying about DD and how I may recover....  I can get a cheap AirBNB near North Dorset Village Marathon so I can kind of make it work logistically.  Hmmmm.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    OTB - that's maybe introducing hills into your training that has caused the DOMS in your glutes, but it's a good sign as you know your glutes are working.   Lots of runners rely too much on their hamstrings instead of using glute muscles too.

steven - as I know you suffered with cramp badly in your marathon I decided to be kind to you and not bully you into doing a recovery run the day after your race which is what I recommend.  But you did get out for a decent walk so that's good.   Any DOMS will probably set in today and/or tomorrow .

So recovery first: be kind to yourself, short easy paced runs when you feel you want to get out there, take extra rest days if you feel tired, good food, good sleep.   When you feel you've got some bounce back in your legs, might take a couple of weeks you need to introduce a bit of faster stuff, so a maybe start with a steady paced run before doing any tempo sessions.   Re long runs, no need to go over 10 miles, maybe do the last 3 miles at marathon pace.   

Robert - tut, tut for running under your sister's number, but fair play for admitting it, you'll have to delete that marathon  from your records, just in case you ever decide to aim to join the 100MC as that would be disallowed.

Hope you've caught up a bit with your OU work.

chazsizeland - yes, marathon plan available, you need to pm me an email address, can't send attachments via RW

Jugula - great result, it seems to always come down to the box at the end of the road.

Ian - ha, ha at you sending your OH out for a recovery run, was she swearing at you (or me)?
    Great result that you were faster this year despite being injured and no more sore the following day too.
    That's the same guys that organise Chester marathon isn't it, they do put on a good race and are really nice guys too.

Cal - so sorry to hear that the shingles is interfering with your sleep now too.   Will the drugs help with the itching too?   Take it easy, lovely day for a walk.

I have been out and had a good dose of endorphins :):):):):)   5 miles run on the flat and not a twinge from my quad, amazing what 3 days ibuprofen and rest can do, it was so sore last week.   But I will have to see if there's any after effect of my run, if not will try short undulating run tomorrow.   Beautiful spring morning here but it's the 1st of May and we've got frost!   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    steven - what date is Stirling next year?

Cal - I see Vienna is 7th April next year if you're thinking about it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:

I'm really torn about this Plym Trail matathon on Saturday.  Part of me think "just do it", but then I'm worrying about DD and how I may recover....  I can get a cheap AirBNB near North Dorset Village Marathon so I can kind of make it work logistically.  Hmmmm.
    So thinking of making it a triple this weekend then?   I don't think any recovery from the triple would affect DD, but it could certainly affect how you run on Sunday and Monday.   If you go ahead I would have thought it easier to drive to Sturminster on the day, more time at home to recover on Saturday and less packing etc.

Your decision, I would only be tempted if Plym Trail was the last of the 3 not the first.  I saw Davey's email so there seems to be a couple of places available.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SHADES said:
    Jugula - great result, it seems to always come down to the box at the end of the road.  
    That'll be the PCP, in geek speak  B)

Shades, when I was planning this year out, I'd always had the triple in the back of my mind for this weekend, but I've only entered the two so far.  I'm not sure what to do at the moment.  It's really 50/50 - maybe I'll flip a coin ;)   Good news you managed to get out for a run and it was pain free.

I've recently got both the LDWA Langport and Milton Keynes marathon letters in the post.  Quite  a difference :)  LDWA is a piece of card for the check points, with a handwritten note telling me what time to start, and the MK is a chip timed number with my name on the front.  It was similar to when I did Barca and then two weeks later there was that LDWA event.  Totally different events, but each fantastic in their own right!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - PCP is much easier to say than ' the box at the end of the road' ;)   What does PCP stand for?

Looks like we're going to get much warmer weather at the weekend, 18-20 for North Dorset and I think you'll probably have the same at MK, so you might want more electrolytes.   If you decide to do the triple you might need more fuel too on Day 3.   

I didn't do a double before I did my first triple but I clearly remember on Day 3 running out of energy, I got really cold and found a discarded plastic poncho that I put on and we were so hungry that we stopped at a garage and bought some sandwiches, and took loads of sweets off spectators, luckily it was Dublin so we were able to do that.

If you want to do the triple, go for it. 

I think you appreciate the difference between events when they are so diverse.  That's why I find it so hard to see the appeal of Foxy's/Travis's and Rik's events when they are so alike all the time, even down to who is running that day.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it stands for Primary Connection Point.  It's the main box between the exchange and the houses/premises it serves, often with DPs (Distribution Points) between it and the premises, which are either poles or points underground, with manholes.

Yes, I do appreciate the differences between the races.  Similarly, last year when I did Munich and then a week later, I did Burton Bradstock, it was a big difference between the events.  To be honest, I preferred Burton Bradstock as an event, even though I got a PB at Munich.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Robert - It's all relative pace wise, my miles have been on the road so much easier to run a faster pace than on the trails.
    Shades - Good to see you back out running.
    Ian - ha ha at you sending the wife out for a recovery run.

Easy 6 mile recovery today as usual about 9:30s with <130 HR. It's gone cold again, was in hat and gloves as was feels like 1c!!
  • Shades- thanks for your guidance hopefully I'll get out for a short run tomorrow before before work if not definitely Thursday.

Stirling is on the 28th April 2019. There is an early bird price of £46 so it's not the cheapest marathon out there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - thanks re PCP, I've learned something today :) 

Steve - it feels so good to be back running, I must be addicted :o   Winter kit here too today, warmer and sunny now.

steven - thanks, I've pencilled in the date.  Can't make a decision yet as waiting for Connemara to announce their date.   So that's the same day as London I think, will be a good alternative for runners.   Entry fee not that relevant as I'll need a flight and hotel too, I will look into the logistics but may not have the budget next year, we'll see.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Sounds like a rough night,not what you need.
    Shades-Yes it's the same guys,they're probably my 2 favourite races.
    Nice easy 8 miles today,was pretty warm here once the wind died down,short sleeve t-shirt for me,I slowed down compared to normal as it makes sense if I'm increasing the miles and don't want to aggravate the Achilles.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I start twitching when I think about all the data - and work involved - that was needed to store all the connections in the network.  Let's just say it was a very large, and complex, database!

Ian, Chester marathon is high up on my list.  I've pencilled it in for next year, but I can't really make it work this year due to the travelling needed, as I'm doing York the week after.  The trouble is, my list is quite big!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I actually had a pretty solid sleep (aside from the usual pee break, but that is normal for me). It was when I was falling asleep after the pee break that I scratched the rash. Totally unconscious thing. It has been itching less since I got on the tablets. I remember when I got laser eye surgery I ripped my protective goggles off every night while I was sleeping, too. Anyway, I've put a dressing on it now so I can't do it again.
    Nice day here today, so forced myself out for a short walk. I don't feel great. Definitely viral. The rash concerns me a lot less than the fatigue when it comes to running but I'm doing what I can to recover as quickly as possible - more sleep, Lysine (an amino acid that helps the nerves heal), B vitamins and vit C.

• Ian, sounds a great value race, I enjoy these events just as much, probably more than expensive events.  Sick of companies charging the earth and people rave about the events.  My local club (ware joggers) have a 10k and 10 mile option in July £16 with shirt and medal and loads of cake for a small donation at the finish.

Shades, good to see no tingles.  Feel bad for counting the London in my numbers but OH has had a personlised medal rack for my 1st 10 road marathons and also a photo book made of my 1st 20.  No rush to get to 100 club.

Big G know how you feel with the list of races being a large one however it's growing at a faster rate than I'm running them and my next marathon wont be until next year in Manchester when I have a crack at sub 3.30.

Cal hope the infection buggers off!

Much needed rest day yesterday and still felt fatigued today so have taken it easy, mile on treadmill and 30 mins s&c and 4.5 miles steady at lunch and felt good.  Still got the final 10 miles to recce of NDW which I hope to get down on the weekend then just need to stay fresh and tick over to the big day.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I thought I'd post this in case people aren't aware.  One of the guys on MarathonTalk podcast has been heavily involved in bringing this film to the UK, and I believe it's on for one day only at various cinemas over the country on 9th May.
    https://www.skidrowmarathontickets.co.uk

There's a promo video off of that site, and it looks quite good, so I'm going :)  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    There's a feature on it in the latest Big Issue if anyone's interested.
  • Big G, sounds excellent, unfortunately have a massage booked that evening and nothing close by.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you (and your achilles) have recovered well from your race.

Big G - try and get to Chester next year, it really is a great race.  I was hoping to do it again this year but I was injured for Chorley 6 hour last year and RO deferred my entry and it's the day before Chester.

I think I heard a guy being interviewed on the radio about the Skid Row film.  I'm sure I read an article a couple of years ago about it, setting up a running club for the homeless if I remember rightly.

Cal - you're doing all you can, let's hope it clears up quickly.   You can get a vaccination now against shingles, can't you?   Maybe you could get that next year as this is obviously at least your 2nd attack.

Robert - you're in the same running club as mowzer, she's not posted on here for a while but you'll know her as she's done loads of marathons and usually races in 100MC kit now.

So after your ultra, will it just be shorter stuff for you until Manchester next year?

As I had no reaction in my quad from yesterday's run I skipped the undulating and went straight for a hilly run today, short though, just under 6 miles.   Found it really tough so I have some serious work to do for DD which is one month today :o   Wet and windy here but enjoyable run, masses of bluebells and the wild garlic is coming out too.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Robert - Thank you for the London info.. I have passed that on to my friend as well. Quite fancy making a trip to London myself now, it sounds great!
    Are you just planning that one ultra race this year?

Steven - I really enjoyed your report, was feeling the pain with you for those last miles. Really well done for keeping going AND coming out with a PB at the end of it all. Pacers stress me more than anything else and that one sounds to have been well off target.
    Great to see you've entered it again for next year  :)

Big G - Dedicated snooker fans must have a very short lifespan if your weekend on Sheffield is anything to go by!
    +1 here for "box at the end of the road" definition :)
    Can't believe you're thinking of entering that Plym trail on top of everything else.. Machine!

Cal - Look after yourself. My dad had shingles recently and it wiped him out. He is in his seventies mind you.

SteveMac - That is monster mileage. You actually did a 3:49 marathon distance run in training..? Did I get that right? Blimey  :o

Ian - You're definitely on the mend. Great news.
    I also can't believe that you made your wife do a recovery run and she's not even on the thread. She has my sympathies.

OTB - I am doing Blaye marathon (Near Bordeaux) on the 12th May. Hadn't actually thought about tapering as I haven't really starting training for it(!) Was a bit of a last minute - for me - decision to enter as I have been blighted by accidents and injury over the last few months. I did this race last year and loved it so am going to give it a crack anyway. Not going to be pretty though!

Shades - Think it is the cooking that is wiping me out. That and keeping all the children in check in the cantine and the before and after school clubs. They're wearing me out. I fall though the door in the evening only to hear my lot pipe up with... "What's for tea?"... Aaaaargh!  :#  
    That is really fab news that you are on the mend and can run again. This is a lovely time of year to run too - everything springing back into life and the promise of summer in the air.

Managed my long run yesterday which went okish. Not to Mr SteveMac's standards but acceptable for me. It's done anyway which is the main thing.
    There is a house that I pass on this route which is in the process of being renovated. The car has got Paris numberplates so I don't think the owners are from round here. They have been doing a wonderful job of renovating this old house. Over the last few months they have redone the stonework, replaced the windows, painted the shutters, made a beautiful terrace and landscaped the gardens. It is just perfect and looks like something out of a magazine. I am wildly jealous. 
    Anyway, yesterday I ran past it and saw something that cheered me up no end. They've only gone and got ducks B) Now don't get me wrong, I like ducks. However - and sorry but there is no other way to say this - ducks just sh*t everywhere. 
    Looking forward to seeing the state of that beautiful terrace next time I run past  :)

• mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    xpost Shades - Glad to hear your quads were ok on those hills and you enjoyed your run. Don't overdo it though.. don't want to trigger anything else off!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - have you decided yet whether to do the triple?  

Just looking at Sunday's fare at the drink stations, I had some saucisson last time.   And I'm going to look out for the flying saucers, sherbet on a warm day will be lovely :) 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    sorry mamafox, multiple xposts :/:/ 

You'll be fine at Blaye marathon, you always pull it out the bag on race day.   Glad your long run went OK.   Those Paris folk will have to hire someone to hose down the terrace daily.

I'm sure it must be the cooking that's wearing you out, it's a physically a very demanding job, and all the stress that goes with it.   My mother was a cook and I know how tired she would be after work.

I can't overdo things at this stage, I've been doing nothing while healing my niggly injuries, not even been able to do Pilates (back tomorrow) so at this stage I just have to see what I can do in the next 4 weeks to get me ready for DD.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    MF, yes, who knew that snooker was such an extreme (spectator) sport!  Well done on getting the long run - that's the last one before the race, isn't it?  I often go past an old house, that used to be owned by the Singer Family (sewing machines).  It's in the hands of the local council now, and sadly it's falling into disrepair and not in use.  It's a real a shame as inside I remember it being lovely, with a very ornate stair case etc.  It must take a lot of money to maintain and I know there was talk of selling it and turning it into a hotel/casino.  The council are cash-strapped, but it's a shame seeing it as it is.  I remember not all that long ago there was a nice coffee shop underneath, and lots of weddings there - I've been to a few there myself.

This is the stair case and view of the building, but you can't get in as it's locked up with security in place, although the grounds are still kept up by the council.  Just to the right of that first pic, there are 6  or 8 tennis courts, which are still used, but the nets not that well maintained.  The grounds around are very nice though, and this is just on the edge of the town centre (i.e, 10mins from the centre of town).

There's more stuff here, and it's been used in films, including as a "double" to Buck Palace (no railings to get head stuck, though)!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldway_Mansion

Shades, yeah, from the bits I've heard on MarathonTalk there is a judge near Skid Row who is a runner, but in his day job sentences lots of people who are heavy criminals.  He's a runner and has set up a marathon for people released from prison, and I think the story is that running has helped turn their lives around.  That's my understanding, anyway.  Martin Yelling is behind bringing it over here, and I believe they had showings of the film at the London Expo.  Martin Yelling does a lot of the compering on the stage at the Expo, interviewing elites, giving advice, etc.

I've decided - reluctantly, I have to say - not to do the Plym Trail marathon.  It's the distance/time between the three events that is putting me off.  I suppose that is one slight advantage of those quads around a lake.  You do an event, walk 100m back to the Premier Inn, have a shower and you're on the bed with your feet up recovering very quickly, before the next day.  Even after Milton Keynes I've got a long drive back, and I assume traffic may well be horrendous in MK, so that's going to be a long day on its own.  My first triple can wait.  I'm looking forward to the weekend and hopefully the travelling around will go smoothly.

Shades, I suppose you may have seen the new event company set up, that is doing 6hr events near us.  The City to Sea RD and our very own RunToTheHills have set it up.  I expect I'll do at least one of the events to see what it's like, and they are only a short drive up the road.
    http://www.jollyrunning.uk

I went out and did a relatively hilly 8.5 mile run yesterday, partly on trails and partly on road.  I've done this route a few times and I was a few minutes quicker than when I last did it.  It's not that I'm any fitter, but just that the muddy bits were very, very muddy last time I did it!  Rest day today, I think.