Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Jelly-  sorry to hear to hear your struggling mentally. Keep strong.

Out for another 4 miles today legs so much better. I returned from my run very happy that I've looked at doing another marathon this year. The one I think I will run is the Loch Rannoch marathon in October. Looking at the event it says flat with a little undulations however I do know where the event is up the Highlands thier small undulations areally normally decent hills.

Shades- based on entering this marathon as I have never attempted 2 in a year what training plan should I follow. Should I keep to the one you provided for Stirling, I am a total novice when it comes to running more than 1 a year and am pretty clueless and would appreciate any advice.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    (((Jelly)))  - I know it's hard to keep motivated  and to post on here when you're injured as you feel you don't need to be reminded of others that aren't injured at the moment.   But if you see all the threads on injury you'll see you're not alone, but I know that's no consolation to you.

You're certainly keeping yourself busy doing all your rehab exercises and cross training, I know it's not the same as running but it's the best you can do.   That's good that you have your X-ray now as if by any remote chance you had a stress fracture it may not have shown up early into the injury, whereas now if you have a SF it will show as it heals.   But the most important thing is that if clear it will dismiss the uncertainty of wondering if you had a SF.

There are many ways of getting injured, but most of our injuries as distance runners are overuse injuries.   That doesn't necessarily mean you were doing too much/too fast/too hard: it means more than your body could cope with at the time and it doesn't mean that you were doing anything wrong.   None of us are perfect human specimens, we all have our own physical weaknesses and imbalances and many of us didn't do a lot of exercise before deciding we wanted to run lots and lots of miles and there comes a time when our bodies just can't cope.   Injuries are a normal part of distance running, I think you're into your 2nd year of marathon running and that generally is often when injuries start to happen.    But you will get through this and come out a stronger person and run those races that are on your list, sometimes they may have to be postponed but they will happen. 

I'm following the Hungarian 6 day race, link in previous post above.  Unfortunately 17 hours  (85km) into the race my friend sneezed and put her back out and has had to stop.   She's doped up on the painkillers and has to watch the other runners continuing on including her husband, but she's not given up hope and if the pain eases enough she will rejoin the race.  I know she will have trained really hard for this race and the planning that goes into a 6 day race so she must be really gutted.

steven - glad you're recovering well and now looking for another marathon. 

I've never done Loch Rannoch marathon but from what I've heard it's a lovely race, I've just looked at the results and there were a few sub 3 hours in a small field of 166 so I would say it's not too hilly.   You might see some runners you know from other races/clubs in the results and that often is a good indication how hard the course actually is...  :)
    I've just added it to my ever growing 'wish list' as it looks lovely   https://runnation.co.uk/r/run-scotland-loch-rannoch-marathon-2018

Re training, once your half marathon is done and you've recovered plan your training for your autumn marathon.  Keep your long runs to 12-15 miles (at least once a fortnight) and that will make it easier for you to pick up the longer runs nearer the time.   Some of your long runs will need to be done on undulating routes to prepare you well.    If you normally run a spring marathon it will be interesting to see how you do training long in the late summer, there's usually a big advantage in training in the summer and racing in the autumn as cooler fresher conditions on race day.   If your training plan suited you for Stirling then I wouldn't change anything.   But if you do a PB at Alloa we might have to look at your training paces ;)

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Thank you Shades, you've reassured me and you do live and learn and I'm going to keep up with the strength training after 6 weeks my hips are more controlled on single leg bridge, one side dropped when I first started so something is working. 

Feel gutted for for your friend and something as innocent as a sneeze to wipe you out of a race, I've suffered with my back in the past and there's nothing worse as pain is consent even during rest.  Finger crossed she will feel better soon.

Thank you Steven 

not sure if I get the results today or if I get to see image. Not been for X-ray for years.  Says on letter to check doctor has results before making a appointment. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Sounds like you're doing all you can Jelly.  You'll be back very soon!

Steven, that looks a great race, and good news you're thinking of another marathon this year.

Ian, have you had any more thoughts on Liverpool?

Shades, am I right in saying that the runners at that 6 day event run around a 1K track for 6 days?!  Not sure if that's my cuppa tea!  I was looking at a marathon around a 400m track though, but haven't entered it.....

I'm feeling marginally more spritely today so will be jogging a parkrun this morning.  Then I'll watch a session of the snooker before driving up to Dorset, where I hope to watch most of another session, head out for some food, and then watch the final session  B)   One thing with these races is that although I've watched a lot of the snooker these last couple of weeks, I won't be here for most of the final!!!

Also, the group I go with have decided not to go to Sheffield next year.  Barry Hearn (the promoter) has put the prices up a fair bit - each session of snooker is at least £10 more, which is a big increase (£22 to £32 for the cheapest Round 1 sessions).  Some of the later sessions (i.e., later in the day, but also later in the tournament) have gone up more than that, so we're reluctantly binned the idea, which is a shame.  A friend has mentioned Riga 2019, which has a world ranking event tournament, where the accommodation and tournament tickets are cheap.  That may be interesting, if that happens.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-How are you feeling now?ok for the weekend?
    Jelly-Good luck and keep up the hard work.
    Big G-That's a massive % increase for the snooker.
    I'm going to try a couple of long runs this week and see how it feels,I need to decide by the end of next week.
    I did a marathon around a 400m track last year,it wasn't as bad as I thought,positives are aid stations where you want,easy access to toilets,and if someone is there you can see them a lot.Only negatives were,it's pretty boring running a small loop and if there's a lot running you can add a fair bit of distance by overtaking.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - good that you see that your strength exercises are working and you're getting stronger.  Single leg bridge is hard to do.

I had an x-ray for suspected SF a few years ago, I rang the doctors for the results as the x-ray was clear there was no need for a docs appointment.  I think I just asked the radiologist when the results would be sent to G.P.

Big G - yes, a one km loop, but at this race they have cabins for accommodation, a lot of these events you have to camp in a tent so having a cabin is 5* accommodation.   I can't master a 24 hour event (yet) so 6 day has never been on my to do list, although a running friend did offer to coach me for a 6 day event, I believe he was very good at them quite a few years ago, I have declined his kind offer.

That's an outrageous hike in prices for the snooker at Sheffield, I'd go to Riga if I were you.

Hope the traffic is kind to you today.   Good luck for your double, if you see my car at NDVM, red with Maverick Runners sticker I have a couple more copies of RW for you
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    x-post Ian - I'm feeling fine, thanks.  Just want to get round in one piece tomorrow and have a positive race in warmer weather, there's a generous time limit.

Hope the longer runs go well.

I've never done a marathon round a track, I know I would run badly having a definite distance to run.  Yet I've done 6/12/24 hour races round a track but the distance run is up to me so it's a different mind set.   I've done a marathon round a park, 1km laps, varied areas of the park and not flat and I enjoyed that, did a PB and I think that was the day mowzer was 1st lady and ran a PB too.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    No results for 7/10 working days. Unsure wether to try a grass run or just leave it.  Don’t know about Plymouth half if I don’t run this week as only two weeks away. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a massive hike.  I saw 6 sessions this year, and if I saw the same next year it'd cost about £70 on top of what I paid this year, which is a lot.  I haven't looked into it, but that £70 would probably nearly pay for a return flight to Riga!  We've all been cursing Hearn on our WhatsApp group....

Thanks Shades, I'll keep a look out for your car.  I have downloaded a few Marathon Talk podcasts to listen to in the car for the journeys, so I'll be fine.

Fingers crossed the long runs go well then Ian!  I remember you doing a track marathon last year.  I am tempted with one, but we'll see.

I did a parkrun today, plus 1.5 miles there and back.  I usually run the 1.5 miles there and back, but walked it today due to the events this weekend and not wanting to do too much.  I felt quite good during the run though - not sure of time but think I probably averaged around 8s on the parkrun and felt okay.  I'll check the numbers later, but it seemed a busy one today, with lots of parkrun tourists there, presumably in the area for the BH weekend.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - 7 to 10 days is a ridiculous time to wait these days with email.   If you're not sure about a little test run then don't and grass makes no difference, these days with good cushioned shoes the latest science shows there's little difference with surface, this came out last year

https://hubpages.com/sports/Running-on-Hard-Surfaces-may-be-Better-than-Running-on-Soft-Surfaces

but if you do run make sure the surface is very even, if you're going for grass, a golf course is good, but you might get chased by angry golfers ;) 

Big G - see you tomorrow :)  don't forget the factor 50, warm here already B)
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That’s a interesting article. Thanks Shades,  Everything feels good and I’m guessing if it was a SF I would still be getting Niggles if not pain. Was dancing around last night at a festival and walked into town fine this morning.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, suncream all packed.  Something tells me I'm not going to need my winter gloves for these races!  I've had an email from Milton Keynes marathon to say it's going to be hot and to take necessary precautions.  If it is very hot, any time goal will be forgotten and I'll just get around it as best I can.  I'm still hoping for a sub-4 tomorrow though, but we'll just see how it goes.  I did 4:08 at North Dorset in 2013, which was my 2nd ever marathon and a big PB, so I hope I beat that tomorrow at least, but again if it warms up I'll just take it steady, as I know I'll have MK in mind the day after.  

I was talking to LP and RP this morning at parkrun and she did MK a few years ago, in what seemed like arctic conditions.  She wore a running jacket the whole way and was still bitterly cold, she said the normally tranquil lakes looked like the sea due to the wind, and it just sounded awful!  It was the same weekend as this year, so just goes to show how varied the weather can be.

Today's parkrun was 23:00, so actually a bit quicker than 8s.  Also a bit quicker than "a jog", which is what I said I was going to do :)  Oh well.  It was no where near a race effort though, and I enjoyed it today, even the 1-mile around the field which I usually don't enjoy!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ugh, Jelly, hang in there. Speaking as someone who has suffered umpteen setbacks, I know it's a bloody pain. You'll recover. We always do. :)

I didn't attempt to run on Friday, but that was down to a crap night's sleep. Nothing to do with shingles - just couldn't seem to fall asleep (something that rarely happens - I normally fall asleep fine but wake up too soon). Today I volunteered at parkrun, as standing in the sun for an hour seemed healthier than sitting on my arse. I did plenty of that in the afternoon. As it happens, I spent ages building something in a game I'm playing, only for it to crash to desktop so I'll have to go back and do it again. So, sulking a bit, I went out and had a little run. Walked to the common, jogged two miles and came home. Very easy pace (just over 11s). Felt OK other than joints hurting due to too much arse sitting this week. I feel fat and bloated. But (despite it being 20 degrees, which I normally don't like to run in) I quite enjoyed it.
    I finish my tablets today, so hopefully I'll feel a bit more myself soon. It'll take a good while for the rash to go away and the lymph nodes to go down but I'm positive about Liverpool - my main worry isn't being ill, it's the fact I've missed a key training week and haven't run further than 10 miles since Manchester. Similar thing happened last year with the hamstring and that affected me a lot.
  • Shades- Thanks for the info, yeah the plan I used for Stirling suited me fine but as you say I'll see how I do at Alloa. 

Good luck to all who are running tomorrow and to those who have an injury hopefully your recovery is going well.
  • Well that's Loch Rannoch marathon in October entered. It gives me something to look forward to.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-have a great race tomorrw ,be safe in the heat.
    Steven-I have chester in October so will be looking forward to that.
    Great day today,tranmere won early in the play offs so a Wembley trip next Saturday now,then let the hottest weather pass but it was still pretty warm when I ran about 5,was hoping for 16 but as I've ran no more than 13 since January I went to birkenhead park to do some laps.As it was I managed the 16 but it was feeling tougher at the end,had 650ft of climb so not pancake flat so really happy,achilles felt fine during the run but very tender now.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good luck guys!
    Ian - well done on the 16. So I won't be the only Shadie doing Chester. :)

I nipped out for 4 miles this morning and it was already very warm. Went veeeeery slowly. Lots of little aches and pains. I was tempted to go for 6 miles as I felt OK, health-wise, but my TFL was giving me little warning signals so I decided not to risk it as if the TFL goes, it's game over. I know it's because I'm currently as rigid as the statue of David, having done nothing for a week. I usually continue with yoga when I can't run, but most of the classes are too hot and too strenuous to be a good idea with shingles (not to mention I couldn't lie on my back).
    But I'm going to Yin today, and hopefully stretch all those bits out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well that's my warm weather training done, 5:31 today at North Dorset, a course worst :s  but it was fairly warm.  I always struggle with first warm race of the year and I felt a bit sick and couldn't take on anything except water and electrolytes from mile 9 to 21, then started to feel a bit better and was able to run a bit more.   At the drink station I ate a few slices of saucisson and that sorted me out and I felt good again but was too tired at this point to able to speed up.   At the drink station at 24 miles they'd thrown out the saucisson as they thought it would go off in the heat so wasn't able to get any more.  But I finished feeling good and no injuries and tucked into the very tasty hog roast (included in race fee) before driving home.   Car temp was 29.5 when I set off then cooled to 26 degrees for most of my journey home so it was fairly warm.    Race was won by Steve Way in 2:30 but a lot of runners were slower than hoped due to the heat.

Saw Big G before the start but he'd already left for MK by the time I finished. 

steven - good news that your entry is in for your next marathon, that didn't take long ;) 

Ian - that's a good long run, hope the achilles eases quickly, you seem to be managing it well

Cal - so good that you're feeling positive about Liverpool, sometimes we just have to make the best of it.   That TFL doesn't like it if you're not keeping mobile and flexible, does it.

right, Chanel No 5 bath now :) 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Shades - it was warm. Sounds like salt was what you needed. :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it was certainly warm. In fairness the first couple of hours weren't bad, with the 8:30 race start, but it warmed up a lot. Too hot for my liking, really. 

In the circumstances I was pleased with my effort, although I missed both of my race goals (a. Sub-4 b. sub-4:08 for a course PB). But, I did my best on the day. 

I got through half in 1:56 and was actually feeling ok at this point and still had sub 4 in mind, but knew it was going to get hotter. I was staying out the sun as best I could, and drenching my cap at the water stations. I just had water and 3 handfuls of sweets at the stations which was ok for me. 

But the heat slowed me down, as I finished in 4:11. To be honest, when I knew sub 4 was out, I took it real steady and ran/walked the last few miles. MK was on my mind and I didn't see the point in pushing it too much. 

It's a lovely course and the fireworks at the start were a really nice thing. Also, I really like this year's shirt, whereas pervious years (well, certainly 2013 and 2014) weren't great. It's a top quality shirt, although with a zip at the neck I'm not sure I'll wear it for running, but I'm wearing it in MK KFC now... I really like it. 

On the way up yesterday I listened to a marathontalk podcast and they were talking about dealing with heat. Common sense stuff really but good to hear. Things like wearing the correct clothes, Sun cream, keeping head and core as cool as possible, not drinking too much, listening to your body, and revising pace based on how you're feeling (this is key). All things considered I was happy with today's effort. 

They made a good point. If a person races a 5K hard in the winter, and someone else stands in a winter jacket etc, cheering them on, they may still be chilly but the runner will finish, possibly with steam coming from their heads, and very hot. That's how much heat the body generates, so they were saying that reducing pace is easiest way to lower temperature in hot conditions. 

Drive up to MK went well, but it's really hot here. It's a 10am race start as well, so I'm just going to attempt to get around it safely. I expect it may well be 5hrs+, but we'll see. Legs feel ok though, which is good. I have walked to see where the race start is, and it's about a 20min walk from hotel which isn't too bad (Foxy gave me a short cut which wasn't showing on google maps. It's a path along the canal, which is actually quite nice). Hopefully I'll get around it with no major issues. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Well done on that effort in the heat,main thing is no injury issues should mean you get on ok now.
    Big G-Another good effort in the heat,I reckon you'll be well under 5 tomorrow,hope it goes well.I actually listened to that podcast as I was doing my run yesterday.
    Seeing the difference in times has made me think my 3:43 in GC was even better than I thought at the time esp with the achilles issue aswell.Shows the training was working well so gives me a good focus for the autumn.
  • Shades, Big G- it was very warm today even up where I am it was bad enough working in it with all the body armour on never mind trying to run in it so well done to both of you good effort.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah that was a great effort from you at GC. 

I'll do my best tomorrow, but last year I went over 5hrs at a hot one. I'm not great in the heat and I'm not sure how much shade there is on the course. But I'll do my best anyway. 

I would have been accurate with my potential time when I entered, and surprisingly I'm in the first pen tomorrow. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I took extra electrolytes.  I usually take 2 salt tablets during a marathon and I took 3 yesterday, but started to feel unable to take on fuel from mile 9, which is early and was one mile after I'd taken my first salt tablet.   I didn't actually feel that hot and declined all the hosepipe showers that were available from supporters and I never use the sponges either.  Lack of training and unused to warmer conditions I think.  I haven't even done a training run in anything over 10 degrees this year.   The humidity was low yesterday too and although lots of runners moaning about the heat I only saw one runner in trouble and he stopped at 22 miles although it looked like he'd just stopped so not sure what the trouble was, he wasn't having any medical treatment.

Big G - well done, that's a good run in those conditions and especially as you had to bear in mind you were going to do another one today.

I love the course at NDVM, it was a beautiful day and the scenery is amazing.   At 3 miles we had a hot air balloon to our right and to our left a river without a ripple and 20 swans in the nearby field.   But they had been doing a lot of muck spreading in the last few days and a lot of countryside aromas.   Did you see the pigs all asleep in the sun in the marshy part of their field, they barely raised an eyelid when we passed.

The shirts are lovely and I like the medal and the ribbon, a nice touch.  Unfortunately I didn't get the XS shirt as they accidentally gave away the ladies small at the finish before realising they weren't the same as the small, but they apologised profusely as they gave me the bag, but I might be able to wear it.  

Good luck today, not a day to think about time.

Ian - yes, factor in the warmer weather at GC and you did a very good performance there.

I'm just waiting for 7 a.m. and once I've booked my Pilates class I'd better get out for that recovery run :o   I just stuck my head out the window and thought 'that's cold', so I might wait until it warms up a bit, it's BH so will be quiet traffic wise so no rush.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, I just mentioned salt as you seemed to enjoy that sausage. :grin: I always want something salty after a marathon - I'd like to see more crisps in goody bags! There's usually a bar or two but rarely a salty snack, and on the rare occassions I've found one, it's been something gluten-y that I can't eat. Pretty much everyone can eat crisps  (excluding Pringles, as they are gluten-containing frankencrisps).
    Right, enough of ranting about snacks.

Hope it goes well for you, Big G.

Well, I hope I haven't overdone it today. Went out just before 7 (having forgotten completely that it was a bank holiday, so there would be less traffic) and was enjoying the run so much I ended up doing 10 miles. Easy pace (10:49 average). All the niggly bits were minor and the TFL was fine - I guess it's happy I'm moving a bit more.

I encountered one of my clubmates, Lucie, twice, as she was running around the common in the opposite direction. I'd had the pleasure of seeing her finish first at Tooting parkrun on Saturday - I think that's the first time Tooting's had a female first finisher. A couple of years ago when I started doing parkrun she was running heavily pregnant and still getting in the top three ladies.

Anyway, I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the day - might have a nap if I feel tired this afternoon. Hopefully my immune system will be fine. The lymph gland is still prominent but no longer hurts (initially that whole hip was sore, enough that I couldn't lie on that side) and the rashy bit is now just dry and scabby (yum!).

As far as pacing for Liverpool goes, I'm in a bit of a quandry. My original plan was the same as Manchester - hang with the 4:15 guy for as long as I could. But now, I'm recovering from shingles, have missed a chunk of training and it'll be a bit warmer, not to mention hillier, so what do you more exprienced folks think?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    5 mile recovery run done.  Legs OK, quad and adductor a bit tired on stretching but OK.   My first training run of the year in short sleeves and I could really have done with a vest as it's warming up.  Negative of summer running, I swallowed a fly :o 

Stopped on return run to look for my kingfisher as not seem him since the floods but he wasn't there, did see a mallard with 8 ducklings probably about a week old :) 

Good news, my friend who hurt her back in the first day of her 6 day race is back out there running/walking again and over 200km now, amazing considering she had to take a 38 hour break, she is tough.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Cal - you'll maybe have to progress to ultras to get more choice in salty goodies although Dorney lake events had savoury stuff and although the crisps were Pringle like I think they had peanuts too which are good running fare.   Or in smaller marathons, such as yesterday, you can send your own stuff out to a couple of drink stations so you could have your own savoury snack waiting for you.   Yesterday they had pretzels too but I expect they had gluten in them.   I just get fed up of sweet stuff and in the heat savoury stuff is more appealing to me.   I did pick up a bag of Mini Cheddars too and ate a few and then nearly choked myself as I'd finished my water and they really need water to wash them down.   At the 24 mile drink station they showed me the Jaffa cakes which they were trying to protect from the sun but they had merged into what looked like a chocolate trifle :s    I don't like Jaffa cakes anyway.

At Connemara my friend who is training for an Ironman and tries to avoid refined sugars had a few dates to get her round the marathon plus a 30 gram sachet of almond butter so I've bought a couple of sachets but thought yesterday was too hot to try that out and really I was thinking of using that in ultras but I might try in a marathon first.   I think the almond butter would line my stomach well.

You seem to really be recovering well and quickly from shingles which is great news.

Re your race at Liverpool, I really think you have to assess how you feel on the day and if you feel good stick to your original plan even though you know you might slow more than hoped for in the latter stages.   If you don't feel 100% or the conditions are tough then a much more conservative run to enjoy the day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades. I don't think I'd have been tempted by melted Jaffa Cakes either, even if I could eat them. (I'm not celiac but gluten makes my stomach swell up with gas, which can be painful, and also makes my joints ache). I do like dates, but I'd be very worried about their laxative properties on a run. I remember baking a tart which had a date and nut base, for my parents (post-stroke) and it made my mum poop herself. Not a great memory, but one that certainly serves as a lesson!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well, what can I say. 

It was a very hot day (hottest may bank holiday on record?), so I felt I was going to struggle after yesterday and the aim really was to get around safely. The course is surprisingly picturesque, taking in some of Milton Keynes parks, and the stadium finish at MK Dons was very good. 

From about 20 miles I've never seen so many people walking - I heard lots of people say their sub-4 target had gone up in smoke. I was never on for that, going through half in 2:11. It was just boiling all race!

All in all, happy with 4:49:36.  I know it's much slower than yesterday and no where near what I'd hoped for when I entered it, but it was a scorcher today so I'm happy enough. 
  • Big G- well done today. As you have said you don't like running if it's to hot that's a great time considering it was the hottest day so far. 

It was still around 22° when I got home from work so went out for a 6 mile run with last 3 miles a little quicker than mp. Felt a couple of twinges in my hamstrings so I think keep my next few runs at an easy pace.