Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just heard from RK and he's fine - they pretty much ran out of water at the last aid station, and he said he struggled for the last section, but he's fine.  He's looking forward to the DD.

Shades, I haven't actually received an email about Gloucester, but I saw a note on their Facebook group.  If the change means they can keep staging the event, that's a good thing.  It's a shame it can't go through the city as when I visited, I quite enjoyed the city itself, with plenty of places to eat etc.  For that reason I think I'll still keep my central accommodation as it was a nice place to stay.

Ian, good that you're thinking of GFA.  I've put it out of my mind for now as I know I can't get 3:05, but I'll keep chipping away at certain events, and maybe 3:10 will come closer when I get to the age category.  I'll still try my best at Loch Ness (presuming I'm injury free etc), but I know 3:05 is beyond me at the moment.

I did a fairly hilly 8.5 miles today.  Nice and steady and walked a lot of the up hills, but had a great run.

Premier Inn have processed the refund with no problem at all, and I should get it back in my account tomorrow.  Don't know what went wrong, but I can't complain at that for a service.

It's Skid Row Marathon at the cinema this evening, so I'm looking forward to that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thats good about the buses to the start but no mention of after the race?
    Big G-I'm only really thinking of it as a long term target,3:10 is mine and think that will be too far for me,but if I can get fit and keep chipping away who knows what can happen in 15 months.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Success today with the marathon list, saved to OneNote then save as picture and paste, bet it won't work next week though.

Big G - I only got Glos email a short time ago.

Glad RK is OK, I'd guess that he doesn't care too much for that course, remember last year so he had nothing to prove and maybe just took it easy.

Good news you had a prompt refund from Premier.

The 6 day race in Hungary has finished now, winner 836 km.  Just noticed that there is a competitor in the 80-85 years age group, he finished on 280 km so the next time any of you play the age card on here it just won't work ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I would probably take my car to the race at Glos, easier for me driving home.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - 280km in 6 days at 80-85.....Wow that is impressive. The winner is just insane, I was glad I could walk after my 100k, winner did more than that each day for 6 days!!

As it's taper time and mileage is dropping off, decided to chuck some LT miles into todays run. So 8 miles with 2 at LT (6:32/6:24), happy with those paces after Sunday's 10k.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades! 
    Sorry for being AWOL for a few weeks. I’ve just logged on and have 1628 notifications from RW. Thanks to Shades for the handy marathon summary I can see how well you’ve all been doing. Well done to Cal, Steven, Robert and OTB for smashing those PBs. And to Big G for all those marathons that I keep seeing on Strava. I can also see how hard Steve is training - it makes me feel very lazy seeing your 10 mile runs done and dusted while I’m still dozing. Sorry you’ve had a few niggles, Shades, but good to see a couple of ultra PBs there. And sorry to hear that Jelly is on the bench. I hope you get sorted soon.

I’ve not had a great 2018 so far, running wise. Started to feel rubbish (struggling with speed and endurance, breathless going up stairs) in January and since then have had blood test (for anaemia), chest X-ray, ECG, heart scan and stress test! The GP was then going to try me on an inhaler, thinking it might be asthma. But when recovering from the stress test (treadmill), I had a few ectopic heart beats which they want to look into. So now waiting to have a 24-hr heart rate test. Have been waiting a month now, trying not to stress about it and nurse did say to exercise as usual.

I had some really rubbish parkruns, pulled out of one after a mile (made worse by being overtaken by my 11 yo. I also almost pulled out of the Maidenhead 10 race (where the PM was marshalling) but on seeing me walking, a friend persuaded me to jog around with her. Tried a track session in February but it nearly killed me so not been back since.Things started feeling a bit better over the last couple of weeks. I then picked up a calf strain but wasn’t too bothered as at least it’s a normal injury. Got a massage for it last week and then miraculously managed a 19:49 at parkrun, followed by being 1st lady in a local 10k on Monday. So hopefully things are starting to improve. :)
  • Slowkoala- Having those issues would have been a stressful time for you, with all that still getting under 20 mins for the park run well done.

Ian- I'll take look at YouTube for some strength work as I really need to get started. I went to the gym after work yesterday and they have designed a workout for me to target strengthening my hamstrings and glutes so I'll give it a try.  The good thing about their plan is I can do most of it at home so as Shades said a few minutes a day of stretching and strength work then hopefully it will soon be part of my dailly routine.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time of it SK.  Fingers crossed you'll get the HR test soon, and that there are no issues there.  Well done on first lady and a sub-20 parkrun on top of all that!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Great work on the table.
    SK-Theres still some great results in there despite your ills,hopefully you will get the results and be all clear.
    Steven-I just searched strength training for runners and it brings lots up.
    Went out today and did 8 miles,was hoping for a lot more but could feel the achilles wasn't happy so cut it short,glad I did my park route again so I was close to home.
  • been absent for a few days!

cal hope the running dreams have stopped, good to see you're getting back out there, as for Liv RnR see how you are on the day, base fitness will still be there but if you need to drop the pace do so accordingly and enjoy the run.

Shades, considering Newport as an option over next couple of years reviews seem good and Elle could do the 10k, need to tread carefully at the moment she's getting arsey again with me planning stuff years in advance.  Well done at Dorset hog roast sounds like a good recovery fuel.

Steven, I did my 1st sub 4 marathon in an autumn marathon at Abingdon, found training easier as mornings weren't freezing.

Big G- shocked at the price of snooker, not supprised Mr Hearn has bumped the price up, as long as people will pay it he'll get away with it.  Well done over the weekend, MK was hot my mate whos running NDW with me in a couple of weeks stopped after 13 miles for a couple of pints before finishing 4.58.  MK sounds better in the sun than overcast conditions that I had last year but spose a lot harder to race.

Ian, I'd be concerned with a track injury with the repetitive strain to the left hand side?

Steven some decent training and good pace for the 10k well done.

slowkoala well done for sticking to it, seems a pretty crap start to the year.

Tailed off the training a bit, still hit 48 miles last week.  10 miles out and back along river on Saturday with an old work colleagues son that has recently started running and went to finish off the final 9 mile recce of NDW50 so done the whole course. 7 miles yesterday, massage tonight and probably rest day tomorrow as birthday! just going to keep it easy over the weekend and a few light runs next week before heading down Friday.

• Went out for a very enjoyable 6 miles today at mp felt really good and more than happy that the hamstrings were good.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    SK - Sorry to hear you've had some worries with your health, it sounds like you are making a comeback and haven't lost too much fitness either lookig at those results. 

Shades - Glad you got through Dorset in the heat and your injuries seemed to have quietened.

Big G - Well done sounds a bit of a feeble thing to say for two marathons in the heat but.. er... well done.
    Forgot to say that manor house you posted looked amazing. The one I pass is just a normal old house size house. I can't take a picture of it as I am already rubber necking each time I go past so would probably be arrested or something if I started taking photos.

Steve - Only you can "chuck in" a couple of LT miles :D .. those things are near death experiences for me! 

Ian - Good luck with the strength training.. and sticking to it. Why don't you make up a chart and stick it on the fridge or somewhere to cross the sessions off when you've done them.

Jelly - You'll be off that injury bench in no time, hang on in there.

Robert - Still good mileage from you!

Sorry if I've missed anyone there, I've had a bit to catch up on. The girls from home have been over this week and I've only just taken them back to the airport now. They've worn me out and it's a miracle that I've got any running done at all. I did manage a 24k on Sunday in the heat and with a hangover which was fun  :# but aside from that just a bit of pottering. I think I'm going to have to run Saturday's race on HR - it's the only way. My mileage is easily half of what it should be and although I'm a great believer in the power of the mind and sticking it out etc those miles really need to be under my belt. I know if I start off with saying  "just enjoy it", "treat it as a long run", "Just get round" etc etc etc that will be all well and good but as soon as I get loads of people streaming past me whilst I'm bumbling along I'll start getting cross then will just speed up and then it will all end in tears.

Looks like we're going to be camping for a night too  :#:#:#:#  
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Tonight’s run didn’t go well, shin isn’t right, only done 1.5 mile to gym, still did gym session just missed legs and did butt and upper body. I don’t know if it’s still injury or new trainers not suiting me. I think I will go running shop and try trainers ASICS nimbus which I have run London and Birmingham in. I was so upset Hubby offered to buy me Road Bike (second Hand). I lost 4 stone before I started running and scared I will put it back on. 
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    This morning non injured leg is a bit ache too this morning just below the knee, injured leg isn't as bad as it was but slightly achy both are not to the point that it effects my mobility. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Steve - 6 day races are bizarre but just shows what willpower and determination can do.

SK - so glad to have you back.   1628 notifications is a lot of catching up to do so you've done well.  :)  

So sorry to hear you've been having  an undiagnosed health worry, I hope they do that heart test soon so you can stop worrying about it.   The anxiety about your health is certainly enough to cause you to feel that you want to pull up and stop.   As the nurse has told you to exercise as normal that is reassuring as they usually err on the side of caution and your recent 10k win and speedy parkrun is a good sign too.

steven - great that you've got a strength routine to do now.   We had long conversations on here about cramps during marathons and lots of trawling on the internet and it does seem that strength work is the way to overcome the problem.   Hill training can be valuable strength work for the running muscles too.

Robert - I read the reviews of Newport and all agreed that it was a good fast course and well organised except for the delay to the start due to the parking issues, but that can be resolved.   I've heard next year that the race might start as early as 7:30 a.m. so it might be worth looking for your hotel fairly early as more folk will want to stay close with such an early start.  Make sure you get a free cancellation booking just in case you OH decides that 2019 is not the year for Newport.    With some of these races you have to book early to get to stay where you want and at a reasonable price.

Happy birthday for today :):) 

mamafox - the girls coming over from Wales is probably not ideal pre marathon prep but I expect you had a great time.   Hope it's not too hot for your race, bad luck about the camping though.   You always run a good strong race but if you're not as fit as you'd like run to HR so you do enjoy it.   Can't wait for one of your epic reports, seems ages since we were treated to one of those.

(((Jelly))) - so sorry to hear that your shin was painful for your run.   Even if your shoes are not right for you they wouldn't make your shin hurt like that over a short distance so don't panic into spending money on shoes that you think might resolve the problem.  Of course there's nothing wrong with buying running shoes but they won't stop a pain or heal an injury.

Don't worry about your weight, just stay calm and eat sensibly and healthily and stay away from any junk. You know you feel better when you eat well.

Well I'm pleased my legs feel good after Sunday's marathon and yesterday's hilly run, but now I have a bloody cold. :#    I didn't feel too good yesterday and then progressively my throat got sorer as the day went on and had a miserable night's sleep tossing and turning as a bit feverish.   Tired but feeling slightly better this morning, not well enough to run but bizarrely my RHR is still in normal range.  I'm hoping it's one of those short summer type colds that I've had before. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, I want to say "good luck for the marathon", but I should also add "good luck for the camping", too!!

Ian, sorry to hear your achilles is still a bit tender, but good news you were lose to home so you could stop.

Jelly, sorry to hear the run didn't go well.  I understand where you're coming from with the worry over weight gain, but if you keep doing what you can in regards to exercise, it will help keep the weight off I'm sure.  I know from my own experience how worrying it can be though, but just keep doing what you can.  Also, it's actually quite surprising how few calories are burned when running - the "finger in the air" estimate is 100 calories per mile, which isn't that much in comparison to some foods.

As a matter of interest, does your injury hurt when you walk, or is it totally pain free when you walk?  If it is totally pain free when you walk, you could consider going out for some walks along the coast paths etc, if you have the time, as that will also be good training for DD (but like I say, if it hurts to walk, don't do this!).  

I'm not really sure what to say about new shoes.  To be totally honest, my gut instinct is to say that even if you had new Nimbus for that 1.5 miles, I think you'd still have been in some pain.  But I am no expert and I understand why you'd want to consider all options at this stage.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - xpost - maybe there's something in your gym routine that is aggravating your shins?   I know you said you didn't do the legs routine but maybe another exercise is affecting your legs as we often tense our muscles when doing other stuff.

Big G - agree re calories burned when running, if fact the longer a runner has been doing endurance stuff the less calories they will burn as their bodies become so efficient.   So for some it can be as low as 50 calories per mile.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I forgot to add that I went to see Skid Row Marathon last night, which I really enjoyed.  There was a poem at the start called "I Run On", which was superb.  I've just spent some time Googling it, but I can't find it - I found the author's Twitter and she said she'll be releasing it soon.  It was on marathontalk a couple of weeks ago, but again I can't find the actual file anywhere.  If it gets released at some point, I'll post it here.

It was a shame though as the cinema was very quiet and I think there were only about 12 people in a large cinema.  I had thought it was going to be a lot busier as there are quite a few running clubs locally, but I'm still glad I went.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - shame there were only 12 there.   There was plenty of pre event advertising, even saw a full page ad in RW.

I don't like the cinema that's why I didn't go.
  • mamafox, running in the heat I bad enough... hungover is a bloody nightmare!!! Having not drank (other than a few after Manchester mara) for 8/9 weeks so have forgotten what a hangover is!

Jelly buying running shoes is always a happy time but not always necessary!  Hope it all sorts itself out soon.

Shades, yup always book up hotels early.  Manchester last year I booked about 10 hotels for 1/2/ nights over a few weekends before they released the date.  Cancelled them all and stayed in Altrincham.  Marriott still charged me as they didn't receive the cancellation apparently but got it back okay.  Tried the saucony glides, seem okay at the moment, bit tighter than I'd like so if I stick may go up half a size.   

Big G shame about the turnout, only heard good things from it.

massage went well, calfs a bit tight but glutes and hammies seemed fine and another rest day today. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, Robert! You must be getting excited (or nervous) about NDW now. Yeah, the running dreams have stopped - I usually only get those when I can't run. I had a lot of them when I messed up my hip last Autumn. Although sometimes I get frustration dreams about trying to get to a race and not being able to get there...maybe we've all had those!

SK - wow, that sounds pretty awful. I'm not sure how old you are but is it possible you could be in perimenopause? Declining oestrogen levels can do weird things to your heart and immune system. It sounds as though things are improving though and congrats on your 1st lady. :)

Jelly, hang in there. Are you seeing a physio currently? They'd be able to figure it out what was at the root of it, I'm sure.

Big G - sounds good! Hopefully it'll appear on the TV at some point. Right now I'm trying to save money. Good news is I have a new tenant - bad news is, due to fees, I won't see any income for a couple of months, so I'm currently living on my savings. :(

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

I had a full rest yesterday - muscles were tight and I needed to let my immune system recover a bit. I forced myself out for an afternoon walk as I'd been gaming all morning, and then I made sure I went to bed at 10, since I'm prone to waking at 5 regardless of my bedtime. It was cooler last night so I had a better sleep and felt reasonably refreshed this morning and ready to run.
    I did 8 miles, starting slow, then working my way up to two miles at marathon pace before dropping back to easy pace for the final mile. Didn't feel too bad - it was grey (it had just stopped raining) when I set out and I quite enjoyed the lower temp, but the sun came out towards the end. If I still feel good this afternoon I will risk hot pilates.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    MF - Good luck for the marathon (and camping!), yeah those LT runs are tough, but I haven't done much speed work while ultra training, so best to chuck some in while tapering :D
    SK - Those are good results in the 10k and parkrun. Hope you get the tests sorted and results back soon enough.
    Robert - Nice mileage. You must be feeling confident for NDW?

Easy 5 mile recovery today at 9:22 average pace. HR averaged 120 bpm which is probably why I felt like I could run for hours!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Robert - blimey 10 hotels on various dates, that's being very thorough.

Glad the Guides seem to be OK, mine are slightly more snug than the GTS so the 2 new pairs as yet unused I've gone up a half size too.

Cal - my most frequent running dream is that I get to the start of a marathon, it's always a big city marathon, and I've missed the start.  Usually then I have to argue with an official to allow me to start.   

In reality it's only happened to me twice, once at Boddington, we were strolling to the start not realising the start was further away than expected and we all lost a couple of minutes as it wasn't chip timed.  The other time was Dublin, our ferry was late due to engine failure and we were 10 minutes late for the start as we had to go and collect our race numbers, didn't matter as race was chip timed and we were on Day 3 of a triple so race time was less of an issue.

Good news on the new tenant, bad news you have to wait so long before seeing any dosh.

Steve - your training heartrate seems to be coming down well, just at the right time for your ultra :)

Just reading my race info for Dorchester marathon at the end of the month.  At the finish we will all receive a watercress smoothie  :#    I'd rather have a hog roast.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, good news on the tenant!

Robert, yes it was very good.  Shades, it was shown in Plymouth and there are a few clubs around that area, so I was surprised.  Don't know if the showing in Dartmouth was busier.

Shades, hmmm, water cress smoothie won't have the same motivation as a hog roast, in terms of pushing you on to the finish!

Just done an easy 6 and again had a good run.

I've been tuning in and out of the Giro this week (Froome isn't doing great at the moment) but today's stage ends on Mount Etna, so could be interesting!

I've offered to take an "away run" for my club at some point over the summer.  It's a route I do fairly regularly on the trails around Paignton (Cockington, Scadson and Occombe Woods) and is a lovely route, especially this time of the year with the blue bells and wild garlic out.  It's fairly hilly though!
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    If a shoe doesn’t suit me it’s normally in the shin I feel it but this has been with support shoe, I think I’m boarder line over pronation as I can get recommend both regardless of shop. Sunday and Tuesday run felt ok rather then skipping threw the daisies type of run, my thinking behind running shop I can try different trainers rather than just buying another pair on line. 
    Cal, my physio is really good and I’m seeing her Monday as I was booked in anyway and she has over looked what PT had put together (bad run was on way to gym, Hubby collected after)  she had a multi sport and PT background so is really proactive in strength training and improving body  mechanics rather than just massage. The Gym plan I have is based on building gently for DD and most exercise are body weight. Once I’m back running normally she is going to look at my running gait and where my weaknesses are. I’m in defeated mood which I know I need to snap out of. This is the first injury which had knocked me out more than couple of weeks. Thank you for everyone’s support. Big G I didn’t go cinema last night as would of been tight finishing work and getting to Plymouth, suprised not more was there though. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've been watching the news with interest over the last week or so, with heavy job losses announced at BT (I used to work at BT).  Middle managers impacted, which is what I was.  I'm still in touch with a few ex-colleagues and the mood is apparently very gloomy at the moment :(  It'll be three years this October when I left; can't believe that really, but I've no regrets at all.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Me and Hubby said how unfair it’s middle management rather than top managers as if they spent too much on advertising and sport contracts and bad business risks,  it wasn’t the middle or lower mangement making those decisions. 
  • cal not had too many running dreams recently but usually I turn up to races take the wrong route and embark on the journey or I usually have the wrong kit.

stevemac those are the best recovery runs with a positive finish, good time to catch them before the feel sluggish and full of regret.

Shades not sure about the smoothie, defo prefer the hog roast.  Reminds me when I did a run to the beat event... they gave you coconut water as the energy drink YUK!

Big G my old man used to work for BT (many moons ago about 25 years) got made redundant was in the legal team.  Are the jobs being outsourced or worse moving out the country or they just trying to cut costs and remove layers?

Jelly going to the shop is good every now and then as all shoes make changes to old models as you said good to try a few pairs of them on rather than just get a pair online

Bought myself some races for my birthday, nothing too exciting but racing rather than plodding for a change then will review after them Ware 10, fetcheveryone track mile, runthrough Hyde Park 10k, WGC Half, Great Eastern Half (peterboro) and Stevenage half.  Depends when/ if we go to cornwall may be there for Truro half or a couple of 10k races and may pop a fast 10k race towards the end of the year if I fancy it.

In terms of NDW I am feeling far too confident that I'd like to be feeling, training for the marathon went well but the North Downs is very different to Manchester.  Just need to remember to keep it slow for 24 miles before the hilly section over the next 20 miles then just keep shuffling forward.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, yeah, it's a shame - some of the previous bosses have made dreadful decisions over the years, and I imagine got very, very good pensions for nearly bankrupting the company (i.e, paying billions for 3G licenses)!  They got the licenses, but then span out 02 as they said they weren't interested in mobile but then more recently bought out EE as they then decided that they wanted a mobile network.  So massive U-turns in strategy, at great costs, which on the face of it look like very strange decisions.  Also, in the last year or so, they've lost hundreds of millions due to some accounting scandal in Italy (I don't know the details of this, other than what I've read in the press, as I had nothing to do with the global side of the business).

There were numerous reasons why I left, but one of them was the culture where doing a good job was no longer enough - you had to prove you were doing a good job, which was just a headache most employees could do with out (i.e., having to create often meaningless measures that you were then marked against).  For example, I had nothing to do with Health and Safety, but I had objectives around H&S that I was measured against, so I then had to spend time creating "evidence" that I had met some meaningless objective.  This was happening all across the company, not just at my level - crazy.  When I was leaving, a project was being put in place where people effectively had to reapply for their own jobs, which was very stressful for many people - again, most were doing good jobs and their customers were happy, but it wasn't enough :(  

Robert, when I joined most of it was in house.  I was a software developer and we did our own development, but not long after I joined it all started to be outsourced so I was kind of forced into management to manage the development being done elsewhere.  I actually did okay out of it with trips to India etc, but management isn't really what I wanted to do.  Just reading the press releases they are scaling back to cut costs.  13000 people going, although a different 6000 people apparently being employed in different areas.  I don't know for sure of course, but I'd imagine the 13000 are relatively well paid, whereas the 6000 may well be lower paid in different roles.  Probably they want to simplify/streamline the business, but I suppose that's not much comfort for the people impacted :(