Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. Maybe it is just one of those things. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. As it happens, I'm going away for a few days tomorrow (a friend's wedding), so maybe doing a few runs in a different area will perk me up a bit. Not too concerned about mileage between now and DD as there's nothing I can do now that will massively help anyway, but hopefully a couple of runs in a different/scenic area may help.  

MF, sorry to hear about your hay fever. :( I had a bout the other day too, and it's not pleasant. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone, I am pleased, yeah. I can't analyse my Garmin data until I get home - looking forward to doing that. Steven, it was shingles (chickenpox virus) not shin splints - that's one injury that, thankfully, I've not been troubled with.
    My "recovery" today was to visit Alton Towers. Unfortunately, the park's hours have been cut to 10-4 on weekdays and it was busy despite being a Monday, so we only managed 5 rides in the whole time we were there even though we didn't stop for lunch. Not very satisfactory. Notched up 11,000 steps though, which will probably help my legs. They're not bad - my hips and back are quite stiff but the other muscles aren't too grumpy and I can manage stairs OK. Back home tomorrow afternoon.
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hi all, 

Jelly hope you're able to race soon, DNS are frustrating things!

Shades the cheese and pickle sandwiches were touched in the end but love them on a run, hope the tonsillitis buggers off... thats never a good thing to have! My step daughter suffered every month (time of the) and only had her tonsills out last year at 18!  Touch wood hasnt been bad since.  Liverpool isn't on my list, £35 isn't bad but it appears everyone pays an increase fee for the medals remix and ba

Big G- unlike you I look at every races elevation and have studied it meter by meter, I've usually watched the race on youtube if I can too.  It's easy to be upset/ down after the event

Ian great race, always nice to have a decent run when you least expect it. do you think the cramps were due to lack of strength work or due to it being warm?

SK any reason for your mates run along the jubilee line? on their own a group thing?

Cal thats a bloody fantastic time even without the shingles looming well done, alot more challenging than Manchester too!

On twitter it appears that Liverpool is about the bling, all seems quite tacky, no one really talking about the course. Being a blue blinkered Chelsea fan, I'm not a fan of liverpool and other than going to the Beatles Museum on the docks once I've tried not to spend too much time there.

• Had a fantastic experience at NDW50 and have written a pretty lengthy blog

http://robsrunningatoz.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/centurion-north-downs-way-50-2018.html

In short started off steady hit half way in 107th place (251 starters) and finished in 72nd and finished sub 10 (9.53) I was feeling great until 2 miles out and wasn't in a great way at the finish but nothing serious but I was fully spent which isn't a bad thing.

Stunning race and great organisation.. if you are looking for a 50/100 miler Centurion are your guys!!!! 
  • Shades you'll be pleased to know I was dragged round the shops all day Sunday and got 10,000 steps in and today I went for a 4 mile recovery run about 9.50 pace.

Tomorrow is off to the Fullers Brewery for lunch and a tour to celebrate NDW50, My birthday last week, Chelsea winning the cup and Dads fathers day pressie from last year
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Robert!  Sounds like you've got lots planned to celebrate too!

Yes, it's a shame about Liverpool and the bling side of things being a main focus. I actually enjoyed the course - I'm not a massive football fan but the Marathon runners actually went inside the Kop stand, which even I enjoyed. You could see the pitch and lots of runners stopped for a pic. And of course it took in a couple of sites that were made famous by The Beatles - Penny Lane and Cavern. There were a lot of bands and two were playing Guns n Roses songs, who happen to be my favourite band, so that put a spring in my step. The last few miles to the finish were a bit crap as although flat, it was along the front and there was no shade. But I think the course itself is a good one really. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well if the organisers were encouraging a 100MC runner to DNF, then they know little about running.   That's a fairly normal time for that runner so she obviously wasn't in any distress, I checked to see who it was.

Shame about the cheat but I'm afraid it seems fairly common now, I don't suppose Liverpool organisers would be that bothered about cheats.

Ian - never mind, the offer still stands ;)

OTB - exciting news about your first house, congratulations.  You'll be spending Sundays in B & Q now ;)

Great running at your trail race, that's a good time for such a tough course.  Good training for your South Downs marathon coming up.

steven - nobody on the transfer list at the moment to offer my DD place to and unlikely at this late stage for any latecomers.  

Good running in the warm weather, you might need to get used to it if it's warm at Alloa.

mamafox - I used to get tonsillitis quite badly in my late 20's and I had to cancel my 30th birthday party as I was so ill with it.  But I thought I'd grown out of it!

Good to hear you're back running well and hope that pollen clears quickly.

When is your next marathon?

Robert - that's a great result and time, to move up that many places in the 2nd half is impressive.   And you did your recovery run too :)   Enjoy your beer today 

I'm off to read your race report now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - outstanding race report, I really enjoyed reading that.  

Your dedicated preparation for the race certainly paid off.   It sounds like it really is an amazing race, almost tempted myself if I ever go back to trail events (highly unlikely).   The race organisers certainly deserve praise for such a good event, love the bacon butty boat.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Amazing job, Robert! I'll have a read of your blog when I get home (still in Manchester). I know I'm going to end up doing an ultra at some point. I think I need to work on my mechanics a bit first though.

Re: Liverpool - yeah, I do like the bling (I was attracted to it as a ride enthusiast because of the big wheel on the medal and shirt). But I also like the course. It's challenging but I like that it goes past various points of interest and I also like that a lot of it is through parks, which offer a nice amount of shade. The music gives you a nice lift, too. I especially like those drum groups. They didn't go through the Kop last year, so that was a nice surprise even though I'm not a football fan.
    I'll agree about that finishing stretch alone the Mersey - it does go on a bit. I've heard people talk about a headwind in previous years (it was still last year, but not as warm as this year) and honestly that would have been a blessing as it would have cooled things down at least. Last year I walked a good stretch of that, until I encountered a lad with cerebral palsy on crutches who was working this way through the half marathon, and I had a word with myself and got myself going again. This year I wouldn't allow myself to walk so I just kept my head down and plodded on, overtaking gaggles of people who had given up on running.
    The sniffer dogs were new this year - I guess the Manchester bombing last year has prompted them to up their security game, so to speak.
    Big G, I definitely wouldn't be too hard on yourself. The course is deceptively tough and you have a lot more marathons in your legs this year than I do so you're bound to be more fatigued. (I guess the upside of getting ill between Manchester and Liverpool was that my legs ended up being relatively fresh).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, from her comment, she implied that they were encouraging her to basically skip a few miles in the bus, so would still get a finish time!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, the only thing with that wheel on the medal is that I don't think it's a Liverpool landmark as I believe it's a temporary attraction. But that's just being picky as I do like the medal - I like medals with the date of the race on them. 
  • Big G no one mentioned the course but going round anfield is a pretty decent feature. i saw a couple of friends pics and assumed they done the tour.  Still prob doesnt make my list as it doesnt fit in my plans of flat and fast or off road.

Shades Centurion have been going for 8 years, they have it spot on and a great community... 100% if you fancy a change this is the one.  Also 24% female which is great to see these numbers rising.

Cal... 50km are a great place to start for an ultra, hit the trails, drop the pace and enjoy eating cake and savouries.  I cant choose if I prefer Ultra/ road maras they are all great for their own reasons.

Another 3 miles this morning and recovery is going well.  Off for a few beers now
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, from her comment, she implied that they were encouraging her to basically skip a few miles in the bus, so would still get a finish time!
    That's shocking, but a sad reflection of a lack of honesty.   Good for her sticking to her principles.

Cal - training for a short ultra can be less demanding on the body than marathon training as you have to keep the pace down.  Lots of marathon runners switch to ultras to reduce the frequency of injuries that they get from shorter races.    Plenty of short ultras to choose from, unless you want road, and some of the 6 hour challenges being put on are on road surface.   Not sure I'd advise them as for a first ultra I think it's easier mentally to do a finite distance.  50km is a nice distance and there are a few on good surfaces and not hilly that you could target.   Best to choose a race that really appeals to you.

Robert - there always seems to be a reasonable % of female runners in ultras and it's not that unusual for a woman to win an ultra as the gap between men and women shortens in longer distance races.   Mimi Anderson is a good example of that. 

I've entered my 24 hour race today, entries only opened yesterday.   Usually in Ireland race fees are quite pricey, although UK seems to be getting really expensive now.   But including admin fees my 24 hour race entry was only €64  (about £58) which is a real bargain as I know it's a race where the runners get well looked after.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OTB-Thats great news about the house,congrats.
    Rob-That was a brilliant report,well done on a top effort.As for cramp I think it's a mixture of leg strength and not enough miles,Don't think it was the heat as I took on plenty of electrolytes and fluid.
    Shades-Pity about DD,can you defer until next year? I somehow blagged a marathon off minimal training,doubt the same effect would happen for DD.
    Recovery for me was a day and night in the lake district with a fair bit of walking,hopefully get out for a run in a bit.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Well done to everyone who ran this weekend.
    I managed a 5k run Friday and went out with cycle club Sunday, was extremely nervous before and few moments I wanted to bail  and that was before i even left the house which isn’t like me. I was going to do part of it and make own way home, but everyone was so friendly and welcoming, i message OH to say i was doing whole thing. Fitness wise i was fine, cycle confidance wise not so as Road Bikes are a whole different beast than pottering along on my hybrid. I’m more tempeted in entering a Tri event. Found sprint with pool swim (not ready for open water) I’m going swimming tonigt and going to see how many lenths I can do front crawl. There is a novice event on too but not sure if that would be enough of a challage  think it was 8 lenths, 15 miles bike and 2k run. Don’t quote me but sprint is about 16 lengths, 30 ish bike ride and 5k run. Running wise im going back to club on Wednesday to do improvers 4 miles and I’ve dropped down to 10K for Giants Head and cider frolic is 12 hours so no pressure there. Depending on how summer goes think I’m going to get recovered for Cardiff Half and aim to get marathon fit ready for Cornish Marathon. Wanted to do Dartmoor Vale but might be too close to Cornish will play it to how I feel. At the moment marathon feels too out of reach. 
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Afternoon folks... 

Shades - with a very busy schedule over the next 2 weeks,  how would I structure my mid week runs. .would it just be a case of a recovery run and one more to keep the legs fresh or should I just continue as normal?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    10k recovery run this afternoon,probably a bit fast to be a true recovery run but felt easy enough.
    I'm also after some advice,from what distance should I now start my next plan,id originally planned 12 as I didn't think I'd do any long runs before I could start again but after running well Sunday it seems daft to go that far back?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - no, you can't defer at DD.  I might still run the first 20 miles, but it's unlikely at the moment.

If you didn't have any achilles problems you could certainly do DD this year, but not when you're recovering from that sort of injury.

That's great recovery from your marathon, your endurance is certainly improving along with your recovery.   Re going forward, maybe start at 15/16 miles but governed by your achilles of course

Jelly - great to see you have plans now for your cycling and a triathlon and getting back to your running.   Are you doing the Cider Frolic as part of a team?
    Change of date for the Cornish means it's the week after DMV so not really viable for you this year as a bit close.   Opt for the Cornish as it's a similar course to DD.

Iain - yes, recovery run and a couple of short easy runs just to get your legs back to feeling as normal before the next race.

There's a small pic of you in RW wearing your VLM medal sitting on the grass, they spelt your name wrong, but I expect you're used to that.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Jelly, Cornish is a cracking race - I think you'd enjoy that one!  I can't do it this year, unfortunately. 

OTB, congrats on the house. Exciting!

Shades, good news about the 24hr race. When is that one again (sorry, can't remember)?

Robert, just read your report properly. What a great read!  Well done again. 

As for me, I'm actually in Italy at the moment (Verona) staying with friends (well, friends of friends) and then travelling to the Dolomites tomorrow for a wedding (again lucky to have sorted out free accommodation!). Done a great run this morning around Verona - it's a lovely place with the river, old buildings, the amphitheater etc. Plus very good coffee and ice cream. :) It was my first run since Liverpool and although only 3.5 miles I really enjoyed it.  I do have a bit of a sore back but I think that's from the traveling so nothing to worry about, hopefully. Definitely developed a head cold too... :(

Hoping that doing a trail run, or two, in Dolomites will remove my negativity around Liverpool!
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - they have used either a pic I've shared or a comment from their Facebook page so you would think they would get the spelling of my name correct. ..it's it June's edition?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Verona sounds lovely, have a great time.  At least you've got time to shake off that cold.

24 hour race is same weekend as you'll be looking for the Loch Ness monster :) 

Iain - it's just a few small photos of runners with their medals.  It's in July's edition, received mine this week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Feel a lot better today after my run  :) I had a little look atctge logistics of DD,just in case but too expensive anyway at short notice,may well be there next year though.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Shades I’m doing solo for cider Frolic but no pressure on distance so not worried. This is the longest injury I’ve had and gone through all the emotions, I’ve enjoyed doing other stuff and have a different out look now. I will do Cornish as DD is still my long term goal, didn’t realise it was so close to DMV.  Before injury I wanted to do the Crossing 34 miles but now I’m thinking taking it easy over the summer and enjoy some shorter local events and work on my bike skills and swimming. I’m still buzzing from last nights swim. Didn’t follow condition swim plan, get confused with it without Daugher’s or mate to translate and I wanted to see if I can swim 16 lengths for Tri Sprint. Only went and did 80 lengths front crawl with no rest breaks. Swam for the hour session. I’ve never swam that far before so super chuffed. Shoulders aren’t too bad today either.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Shades-Feel a lot better today after my run  :) I had a little look atctge logistics of DD,just in case but too expensive anyway at short notice,may well be there next year though.

Yes!!   :)  see you in 2019. :) 

Jelly - doing the Cider Frolic as an individual  removes any pressure and you can just enjoy the event.   Cornish have moved their date 2 weeks earlier than normal, it's been the 3rd Sunday in November as long as I've been running marathons!   I am pleased they've moved it forward as less likely to be cold but it's caught a few people out, including Big G who was hoping to do it again this year.

I don't know anything about the Crossing but imagine it's tough.   

That's great progress with your swimming so no worries about completing that part of the Sprint Tri.

I usually post the marathon list on a Wednesday but I'm waiting for Steve to check in and update us.
  • Ian, Could think of worse places to spend recovery walking, love the lake district and am tempted to research some races.

Jelly, about a year ago I started looking at sprint tri, especially with a pool swim never got round to it though.

Big G enjoy Verona, since I started running I've only visited half a dozen countries and only ever ran once.  Looking forward to clocking some miles in Turkey.  The race report took longer to write than it took to run it, but in a few years time.

Today is a recovery day, the beers were flowing at lunch then the brewery tour which ended with a decent tasting session where I had about 6 half pint tasters.  Met up with Maciek (who I ran with on Sat) with loads of free pint vouchers he picked up from VLM and we drank through them.  Crashed in doors about 9.30 and went straight to bed.  Woke up this morning and OH weren't in too bad a mood which was a pleasant surprise as I couldn't be dealing with any grief.  Haven't missed the hangovers!

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Finally got through your report, Rob - good stuff. Those stops look like banquets!

Enjoy Verona, Big G!

I had considered running today as I'd not felt too bad the last two days, but I woke up feeling a bit rubbish, eventually decided to go back to bed for another hour and then felt even more rubbish, so ultimately settled for a walk. I know my immune system is crap at the moment so I'm not going to push it. I don't want the shingles back, thankyou very much.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Finally got through your report, Rob - good stuff. Those stops look like banquets!

Enjoy Verona, Big G!

I had considered running today as I'd not felt too bad the last two days, but I woke up feeling a bit rubbish, eventually decided to go back to bed for another hour and then felt even more rubbish, so ultimately settled for a walk. I know my immune system is crap at the moment so I'm not going to push it. I don't want the shingles back, thankyou very much.
  • Cal they were brilliant checkpoints... gutted at the final checkpoint about 5 mins after I left there were ice creams and ice lollies!!!!  In terms of Ultra's as G said there are loads of 50km races which give you an insite. check out XNRG.co.uk I did their Tring 50km a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. 

Received an email saying not required to volunteer at World Cup Athletics, so now free on 15th July.  Although I said no to any marathons I may enter my local off road 50km race.  (they have other options inc marathon, 18 miles and half) will probably decide the week of the race and can enter on the day, may even consider the half as winner last year did it in 1.45.  Never won a race before so could be an opportunity. 

• Ian- good recovery run there glad your achilles are better.
    Big G- Verona looks and sounds like a fantastic place. Enjoy.
    Robert- great race report enjoyed reading it.

8 mile run today very enjoyable apart from a motorist just about colliding with me. This guy thought he would do a 3 point turn and reversed slightly onto the pavement without looking and luckily for me as I had half an eye on him managed to stop dead in my tracks or he would have hit me. Even tho I shouted some expletives at him he just drove off. Unreal.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - even if you only stick to road marathons, Windermere and Langdale are great races.   There's a new one Solway Coast marathon that I've pencilled in for next year, that's supposed to be very flat.  Lots of good trail races too but they often fill quickly as it's such a popular area.

That's a big benefit of not drinking is no hangovers :)  

Which race is your local trail 50km/marathon?

Cal - hope you're feeling better soon.  I suppose shingles is one of those viruses that can come back if your immune system is low.

Big G - are you anywhere near the Giro?

steven - bloody motorists, so many have no consideration for runners or any other pedestrians either.

I'm feeling a little better today, throat is less sore and glands are almost back to normal.   RHR still raised but less so.  If RHR is normal tomorrow I might try a little run.  Funny I'm not going stir crazy not being able to run, I think that's because I haven't felt well enough to run.

I think Steve must be on his hols so will post list as it is now.