Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed your write-up, Big G - Dolomites sound lovely.

Well done everyone. I'm going to be brief because I'm tired. Had an even worse night's sleep last night - normally I fall asleep just fine but wake too early. Last night I have difficulty getting to sleep at all, even though it was cooler, so I don't think I fell alseep until 1 or thereabouts and then I was awake around 5. I dragged myself out for a run just before 10 because it took me a while to feel human and by that point it was rush hour, so I decided to wait it out. Very humid out there. Legs felt OK so did 6.2 miles easy. It was fine but my right achilles is grumbling (it hasn't done that in a few years). I'll keep an eye on it. Due to the tenant change in my flat I've not had any income for a couple of months so I've not had a massage since just after Manchester, which might be part of the problem.
    Tomorrow will be a rest day, then parkrun on Saturday.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Big G - last night's run and DD social was a really good idea as a chance to chat about the race.

Do not go out hard for the run to Ashburton that's a big mistake and explains why there are often drop outs at that point.   You want to arrive at Ashburton feeling fresh, needless on to say on that stretch don't attempt to run the hill up from Badger's Holt.   And when you've slogged up, IMHO the toughest section of the race, from Ashburton and arrive at Buckland on the Moor church don't forget to look at the clock face which spells out My Dear Mother, I must have ran past that 6 or 7 times before I noticed it. :o   I too prefer to run a race alone apart from a bit of chat now and then and DD is certainly the place to run alone, it's such a beautiful and varied course.  If there's going to be even the smallest amount of sun, put on your sun cream, cloud is thinner up there and more likely to get burnt

That's very poor service from Running Imp re the medals, they should have sent some alternatives, Chair will have to post them out now and that'll be wasted expense, I hope Running Imp cover that cost.

Glad the shoes are OK, you just need to carry on with the carbo loading now :)

Iain - hope that niggle clears up in the next couple of days.  I'm sure it's just a bit of post race stiffness.

Big_G said:
    Be careful Steve...you'll be on Shades' list before you know it ;)  

Steve was already on that list.  :) , but I can't find the list at the moment, I think I must have pasted over it.  But I'll just start another!

Steve - you would love DD.

Cal - sorry to hear you had an awful night, so frustrating.  Hope you are rewarded with a good night's sleep tonight and get some income soon too. 

5 weeks away from my usual Thursday Pilates class and it showed today, found it quite hard.

• Options

Big G nice to win free entries/ refunds.  I've won a few bits and bobs in competitions my best wins are brooks adrenaline shoes and aftershoz bone conductor earphones but I never use them.  

Shades/big g I thought the drinks stations were overkill at DD too! I remember OH having a talk with high5 with the Big Marathon Challenge and they said not to take more than 3 a day as overkill (sodium mostly) will have adverse effects.

Iain, great way to get credits for races... so many don't allow you to transfer them... probably a good thing they all don't allow it as I'd probably be pimping her out to Centurion events.

Ian glad to hear to Achilles probs, nice progressive splits!

Another 6.5 miles this morning didn't feel as sluggish as yesterdays run.  Ankle feeling okay, just don't think I've got full use yet, but was speaking with a physio at work who said sounds normal and could take 2 months to go back to normal.

• Options

missed half the posts...

Steve more the merrier for DD19! never done anything hilly on road so will be a new one for me.

Shades do you find Pilates helps? Think I done one class before (the day before my 1st ever race 8 years ago) but never been back... I used to go spin regularly but found myself not going much in the last year, used to believe it was good for speed work and less risk of injury but have stayed injury free and my times have improved since.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, regarding the DD aid stations, there are 11 stations in all this year, and runners can choose at what stations they want items left at (if any), but I don't expect anyone leaves items at all the stations.  All 11 stations have water, juice and bananas provided.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-If I can give DD a go then you can smash it.I'm looking more certain like doing at next year,even got my eye on some warm up hilly races.
    Just realised I would have been on for a sub 45 10k last night so well happy with that at the minute.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    DD looks great, but it's really close to Edinburgh, so will be one or the other!

Regarding the High5 tablets, I took 1 at every aid station at my last ultra, so 3 in total. I think the limit is 3 but took more than that at SVP with no side effects.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    It was nice non DD runners were welcome on DD social and I enjoyed catching up with those I’ve been training with before the end of the end struck. Mixed feeling really chuffed for those who have made it threw the training but envy them too. I was all to put the work in but my body decided other wise. My mum have been back in hospital and home now but lots on making it safe at home now. Can’t do much until Sunday and she’s not happy about going to bed at 6pm when last Carer visits but plan is on place just waiting to change room around and new easy chair for bedroom. I’ve got few days off which were booked for DD so rather than mopping about I’m going to ride to Torbay Parkrun venue to time how long it takes so I can ride on a Saturday and run. Will have leisurely ride back via Compton area. I’m glad I’ve not got my DD place anymore because my leg feels fine now would of been too tempted to start and with missed running miles would be  suicide and set me back loads.  Finding it hard not to get carried away at the moment as my runs have been good and easy to get carried away. I know I’ve got to be  disciplined  and build slow. Good Luck Big G and see you on the big day and everyone else who’s racing this weekend. 
  • Options
    Big G- well done on winning another prize you appear to be lucky in that area. I use the High 5 tablets for all my big runs and marathons usually have half a tablet however at Stirling marathon this year I used 1 tablet at every water station and am not sure if this is what made me feel sick when I went through my bad spell in the race.

Ian- great 5k time especially after your injury struggles now you know improvement is possible.

All this talk about DD has made me take a look. The route looks brilliant and frightening at the same time. Was thinking of attempting an ultra next year just trying to get the negative thoughts out of my head if I would be capable or not. Spoke to a couple of guys at work who only run ultras who say in their opinion ultras are so much better than marathons.

6 miles today in very clamy weather which made all the midges came out and be annoying.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I used hi5 tabs at Liverpool,had 3 half tabs wrapped in cling film and emptied them,seemed to work well enough in the heat.
    Easy 6 miles after work today,results are out for last night and I finished 70th out of 258 so overtook 188 runners.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Ian. I just used the SiS gels (since I use 'em anyway) but damn, I picked up some nasty flavours. Grapefruit - bleh! And a cherry one that tasted like cough mixture.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jelly - sounds like you've got plenty to keep you busy over the weekend.  Your year will come for DD, hopefully next year!  I've had a place twice before but had to transfer it in the run up to the race, so I'm sure your time will come.

Steven...I think you may have just added yourself to the list :)

Thanks Ian, I may just use halfs then.  I'll make a decision tomorrow.

As for me, I'm chief marshal this year at one of my club's races (Haytor Heller, which is in July) so I've met with the RD this evening to go over some bits and pieces.  I suppose, first things first, I'd better actually learn the course!  It's a very tough off-road event on Dartmoor, and although the race is a longstanding one, the correct/exact course is a bit of a mystery to me at the moment ;)  I think I need in the region of 40 people to help out on the actual course, and I'm well on my way to getting the list sorted now, including Jelly being a sector leader on the last sector :)  

The RD of the Heller is also doing the DD - his second time.  He's hoping for a good race as although he finished it last year, he limped the last 5-miles home as he did his achilles, so he's hoping for a better outcome on Saturday.
  • Options
    JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Big G  been chatting to fellow trotter tonight and he’s made some good points and everyone was saying I would come back stronger and I get what they mean now, strength isn’t all about physical aspect of running, I’ve learnt a lot about my strength and weakness. Sometimes the strength is knowing when not to do something and not worry what others think about you.  

Big G I’m happy to run course with you. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - ankles are slow to heal fully.

Re Pilates, yes I find it very helpful but it takes quite a long time.  I think I only started to see benefits after 6 to 12 months of one to two classes a week.   Now I can still see I'm getting a stronger core as I'm able to perform some of the exercises that were too tough for me before.   Effect on running has been that I no longer get any tiredness in upper body or arms after a marathon or ultra, my legs are still tired though! ;) 

Jelly - sorry to hear your Mum has been poorly again.

It is just as well you transferred your DD place, the downhills would have been too much for your shin at this stage.  Next year we'll all be on that start line :)   You are quite right that there are times when we make the decision not to be on the start line of a race and that is absolutely the right thing to do.

steven - one tablet every drink station is probably too much.  I use salt capsules and only use 2 in a marathon and 3 in a short ultra.  If it was over 25 degrees I'd probably take an extra one.

You are now on the DD list for next year too :)   Ultras are much friendlier than marathons, we all have the same goal and that is to enjoy the race and finish.

Ian - that was an impressive amount of runners that you overtook!

Big G - important to get the Heller route right, one year the runners set off the wrong way and ended up doing the route in reverse!!  It all worked out OK but the marshals had a bit of a shock seeing the runners coming from the other direction.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades,  yeah, it's important to get it right.  There are a couple of points where the Dartmoor National Park and other authorities don't permit us to run - from memory, there is a section with ground nesting birds, and also an old ruins, so it's very important to get those bits right in particular as we do not want runners trampling through those areas!  

Jelly, thanks for that.  I'm not sure of the plans for running it yet, but Nige is sorting something.  Also, you're right - you'll come back stronger, for sure.  You're a strong runner anyway, so when you get back, you'll have learnt from this most definitely. 

At a loose end today; I won't running but instead I'll mainly be eating :)  I've got my bottles all sorted and bag packed, so now just need to get myself to Dartmoor for the race.  I went out this morning for some milk and it was humid, and it looks to be the same tomorrow on Dartmoor :(  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - as long as the lead runners go the right way the rest follow, like sheep ;) 

I've just been out for food shop and it's very humid but due to lift later and tomorrow not forecast to be humid for you.  Conditions look really good for DD https://www.forecast.co.uk/princetown.html?v=per_hour
    Anything below 80% is good and low humidity for the UK.

Enjoy the eating, I thought I might see you in Lidl's stocking up on the caramel wafers ;)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was hoping to be in Ashburton to see you (and the Mavericks) passing through but unfortunately I won't be able to now.   

My friend that's down for the weekend is picking me up at 11:30 so I wouldn't be able to get home in time.

But I'll be thinking of you, I hope you'll love the race as much as I do.   We will require a detailed report at some time. ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, I'm feeling strangely nervous now, and it's not even race day yet!  I think seeing all my stuff laid out, with my bottles in the fridge and the food ready has freaked me out....

I think I'd better get out the house and go for a coffee or something.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    You'll be fine, that's excitement you're feeling.

My friend when I told him I wasn't running has changed his plans for the weekend and we're going house hunting tomorrow, starting in Bovey at noon, then a slap up lunch somewhere then onto more viewings.  He's looking for a couple of small projects to flip as property is cheaper here than where he lives. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Good luck at DD this weekend!! Look forward to the report.
    Steven - If you can complete a marathon, you can complete an ultra, just need to slow down to keep going for longer.
  • Options

Shades, hope to have a bit more time to x train now I don't have the pressure of the distance of the marathon so spin and pilates may feature.  DD will be my 1st road Ultra only done off road races past marathon distance so will be interesting to see how I find it.

Big G Good luck with the organization of the race! I've only seen snipits of my local 10miler race and its a huge operation!  Think all runners should experience some kind of marshaling/ volunteering of races to appreciate everything that goes in.

Ian big number of runners to overtake well done! I'd struggle on 5k/10k races as usually go out too fast.  Both Manchester and NDW I finished strong overtaking runners in the 2nd half its a good feeling.

Jelly, hope your mum settles into a routine, taking a bit of downtime will always help and not rushing back will make you stronger as you've been discussing.  It's hard not to want to run all the time.

Woke up early and went to go for a run, got changed at the gym but weren't feeling a meaningless 5-7 mile plod round the same route in Stevenage so jumped on the treadmill and done a 6km interval session and some stretching.  Felt good although not overly fast.

Have bought myself a Garmin Fenix 3 and Elle a Vivoactive 3 (her 40th in August), she wanted an apple watch or fitbit but I cant see the point in them, she likes the garmin apps and website so makes sense to me to get her an upgrade. Will drop it into conversation just before I tell her of my running plans next year (which I don't think are that bad).

Good luck to those training/ racing this weekend.  Will keep an eye on the forum whilst away may share some sunny pics if I can!!! 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, you're right - I think a lot of runners don't realise what goes in to putting on a race.  If all goes well, they just turn up and run, collect their medal and go home, which is exactly what it should be like of course.  But there is a large amount of work that goes in to it all.  We organise five races a year and each one is well regarded locally, but the RD's in particular have a lot of work.  I see a small bit of what goes on as I'm on the club's committee, and I help out when I can although it won't be as much this year as I do have race plans of my own.  It's the obvious things like ordering T-shirts, medals, getting marshals in place, car park attendants, water stations, PA system etc.  But also things that may not be so obvious like getting the required permissions from councils/parishes/agencies, getting a course measured officially, insurance, getting the course marked out with signs or road markings in advance, hiring vans to transport stuff to various places, processing race photos etc.  The RD for the Heller organises camping and a BBQ etc, which again all needs to be sorted.  This year for the DD we're trialling a recycling scheme for the rubbish/plastic, so someone has been in touch with the Council to get the relevant bins, which he has to pick up, drop off at the Race HQ, sort through all the rubbish, and then drop the full bins back at the Council.  Even that one extra thing involves a lot of work for him.  Even something like results processing isn't necessarily straight forward, especially if there have been unofficial number swaps that impact the prizes, and the time keeping process itself often needs a back up in case the automated system goes wrong.  I think the DD needs something like 150 people to help out across the whole event.  It's all good though, and I know the RD's do generally enjoy what they do.
  • Options

I can understand why clubs pull their races as the constraints and expectations are more and more in demand.  With runners demanding so much more from races demanding race nutrition, medal, shirt, constant online presence whether email or on social media and the pressures of insurance/ planning permissions as you mentioned are tougher all the time.  Then you have the 'environmental side' people moaning about races leaving a footprint.... good to see you're trialling something with recycling.  Also forgot to mention runners only want to pay the same as last year as they have been doing for the last 20 years making margins even tougher.   

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, I have to say, one thing that annoys me is the litter on Dartmoor.  The RD makes it very clear that he does not want any litter left, at all!  There are aid stations approximately every 3-miles with bins, plus a lot of marshals on the course who runners can leave rubbish with, but yet the person who clears the course still finds a lot of rubbish in hedges etc, every year.  I just don't understand it.  Dartmoor is recognised as a place of outstanding natural beauty and probably that's at least partly what draws the runners there...and yet a sizeable minority still leave a mess.  I think road races in particular are finding it harder due to rising costs - I know a popular, local road 10K has been wound down due to costs of closed roads etc, and that's been going for 20+ years.  It's a shame though as that race has a Facebook page and a lot of people were making "helpful suggestions" on what the club should do; I have nothing to do with the club (although I know a few of the runners) and I had stop myself from writing "I think they may well have thought of that as an option!!!".  I'm sure they didn't take the decision to stop the race lightly.

Going back to the litter at DD, the runners have to put a label on their bottle with their race number if they want it left on the course, and often we see these bottles - with the race number still attached, so the owner is identifiable - just chucked in a hedge.  There was talk of DQing these runners, but the RD decided against that, as I suppose in theory it could have just been an accident (i.e., accidentally dropping a bottle and it rolling down the hill), someone else could have picked up the bottle in error at the aid station, or the wind blew it away etc.  But in many cases, I think it's deliberate.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I hate seeing gel packets and whatnot dropped in off-road races. With a road race, you know the street sweeper will get to it at some point, but tow paths and trails, not so much. It's not hard holding on to your litter until you pass a bin or the next aid station.

Anyway, good luck DDers and everyone else running this weekend.

Day off for me. But, hmm, I seem to have entered The Big Half again. Oops! :lol:
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Robert-I normally start too fast so starting at the back may have helped me keep getting faster each mile as I was constantly overtaking quicker people each time.Have a great holiday.
    Big G-Best of luck for tomorrow,have a great run and enjoy it.
    Hoping to do 16 or 20 tomorrow to get the long runs going again,see how I feel in the morning.
  • Options

Cal, I stayed in Altrincham and ran the day after Manchester... the amount of gel wrappers on the floor was awful.  This is a big race and should have a big clean up, me as a runner naively thought this and disguarded gel wrappers as fully expected there to be a proper clear up.  It was either poorly done or not at all.

I was considering the big half myself but will probably do Cambridge again. (prob same date) 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that is bad!  For London, I stayed at a friend's place more or less at the half way mark, and the morning after you wouldn't have even known there'd been a race on.  There was even a vehicle going along removing the blue racing line.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If the runners continue to drop litter at DD it will be the end of the race.   Dartmoor is a National Park and animals roam so the litter is dangerous to the ponies cattle and sheep, that's why it's so important.  As Big G says there are plenty of marshals to leave rubbish with and even spectators are quite happy to dispose of any litter for a runner.  The problem has got a lot worse over the last few years, before the course would be checked and rarely was any litter left behind.  Sadly it seems to be the newer runners, those that never marshal or help out with any race or anything to support their sport, they expect someone to clear up after them.  I've even seen them throw rubbish over a hedge during the race.   They should be given a final warning and disqualified if it happens again and they should be named and shamed.

Robert - there are very few road ultras and this is the longest single lap race allegedly in the UK, although I think there might be a longer one in Scotland, not sure. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think Chair will have to stop saying DD is longest UK single lap race. ;)  

There is a 50 mile road race in Scotland, I'll have to forfeit IOM marathon one year to do it, I've just added it to my list.

http://events.scottishathletics.org.uk/events/20778-17754-john-lucas-50-miler