Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - from the entry fee I thought that event on the 22nd December was a marathon too.   I can't believe that entry fee for a short off road race.

I see Davey has had suggestions to put on a double now for the December race ;) 

Glad all went well at the Heller, hard work though.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, to be honest I assumed it was a marathon when I saw the price, and when I saw the mud I didn't read the description properly.

I did my run this morning but it didn't go very well.  I had stomach cramps so lots of walking from 4-miles, and then ran/walked the last 2-miles to make it to 6.  I'd planned to do 10, so not ideal, but hopefully it'll pass.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian - only you could describe a sub-1:40 finish on a hilly course and a podium placing as a bad day. :D As for the laces, I double bow and then tuck the loops of the bow under the laces in front. Never had a shoe come untied since I started doing this.

Big G - nice parkrun time! Well done for volunteering at Heller - after Thorpe tri last weekend I know that volunteering can be almost as tiring as doing the event.

Early start today - woke up at 4. Could hear neighbours talking in their garden so they clearly hadn't gone to bed yet (heard them go inside around 5). Whilst I'm a morning person I still need  more than an hour between waking and running, so I ultimately got out around 5:25. I decided to try a new route - to Brockwell via my normal route but then diverting on to Camberwell, where I grew up, then Oval and from there back to Clapham, Balham and home.

Rolled my ankle again just as I reach mile 5, so had some discomfort but not enough to stop. I think it's the shoes - aside from having more heel height, the heels are also wider, and with my low clearance I'm catching them on wonky surfaces. I'll have to be a bit more careful. I've worn nothing but Frees until this year so it'll take some adjustment.

When I got to Brockwell I found the park unexpectedly open (it was still before 7am at that point) so I went in. I knew the Lambeth County Fair is on this weekend so I guess the gates were open early for the exhibitors, but I only managed two thirds of a lap before I found my route blocked by, well, exhibits (and security guards), and had to exit the park and proceed with the original plan. I rather enjoyed running along Denmark Hill towards Camberwell - once I'd got to the top (which I found was a bit of a climb) there was a very long downhill. I'll have to try the route in reverse at some point - I imagine it will be a good challenge. Noticed some of the old forbidding council flat blocks have been replaced by newer blocks somewhere in the past 30 years or so; ran past the hospital where I'd gone after various childish mishaps, past Camberwell Green where the ornate building that used to be a bank is no longer a bank, up to Oval past a load of houses, one of which was using a toilet as a plant pot, and then back into more familiar territory as I ran from Oval to Clapham Common, around one side of it then back home via a quick excursion on to Tooting Common and around the duck pond. I covered 18 miles in 3 hours and 4 minutes and with a 4 minute neg split, and I didn't feel like a wreck afterwards. Now I'm settled down with ice packs on both ankles (achilles on right and rolled ankle on left). I've done 47 miles this week, which I think is my highest total to date.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-glad your chief Marshall day went well.
    Cal-If I hadn't ran so well at rhyl I'd have been happy with yesterday.As i took the last couple of miles easy I'll be able to get s decent run in after work.47 miles is impressive.
    Shades/Cal-can hardly claim it as a podium when I beat so few,even though I have been telling people in work today I finished 2nd in a race.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    That race in December sound interesting, no surprise but I will be entering the DD again next year and hopefully get in start line. I’m starting my Marathon Training this week and current booked events fit in well. I’m  sweeper for city to sea and that week is 18 mile run so not too worried as end off road and miles walk even though I’m not running the distance makes up. Target Race I’m booking on Cornish once open and after your advise on wether to do Davey’s in December or Jan or both. Staying away from Trail in winter not saying that caused my problems this year but playing different next year to see if it helps. Feel stronger mentally this year. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hope you're OK now.

Cal - well done on the mileage for the week.   I have visions of you running through the park pursued by security guards :D :smile: 

Ian - you were 2nd in a permitted race, it's not your fault that a few others didn't make the start line.

Jelly - glad you're feeling stronger and making your plans for next year too.   Re Davey's races, you can certainly run the December one off your Cornish training.  It's up to you if you want to run the January one, that is your PB race after all.

Seems odd the race entries aren't open yet for the Cornish, should be soon I guess.

Do you know when entries for DD open?

Good run this morning but it was really humid, like running in a sauna. :'(

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Last year it was around the 14th November.  Yes feeling a lot better, cross training g is helping mentally and I’m enjoying doing local club races,  Forest Flyer is my next race. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jelly, trying to get a few from this thread to enter DD too for next year.

I'm doing Kingsbridge 10k on Thursday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi Jelly, when you say targeting Cornish, do you mean targeting it for a PB?  It is a fantastic event, but it is quite hilly, so just thought I'd mention that in case you weren't aware, although I know you're strong on the hills!

Shades, yes feeling a bit better again today.  I'm running with the club tonight on an "away run", with meal afterwards.  I'm just debating whether to go for a SUP or not, but really I should get on top of some house work/paper work that I've been putting off :(  I went over to Berry Head yesterday on the ferry and saw a couple of SUPers, loads of kayakers, and other people on the water and they looked like the were having a great time, although it was quite busy.  With it being a weekday, it'll be a lot quieter today though.  I'd much rather do a SUP, but I think the housework is going to have to at least get started, and if I have time later I may go out then.  I need to catch up on the TdF too, as I haven't seen the last couple of days.

Just to confirm that Chair is planning on opening the DD entries again in November, but no exact date as far as I'm aware.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - glad you're feeling better.

Hope you're out on that SUP, the housework can wait :D   I'm up to date with the TdeF, just yesterday's highlights to watch unless it was a rest day.   Am really enjoying it.   Watched some athletics too over the weekend, still have the Monaco Diamond League to watch.

No doubt you and Jelly will hear early about when the DD entries open for 2019.

Very humid today, don't think I'll be doing any/much housework today.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Lol Big G, I know I can be a bit cocky but I’m not that cocky to think PB on Cornish. I’m approaching Cornish as first marathon from training point of view.  It’s about building confidence for DD and getting to June in one piece and not braking again.  
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Just entered Davey’s Xmas marathon.  
  • Ian- I wish I could class 1.36 for a half a bad day. Well done on your podium second is second regardless of how many enter.
    Cal- that's an impressive mileage week.

13 miles done today when I woke up from my night shift.  Felt a little tougher than normal but I put that down to not running much at all over the past 3 weeks due to my work commitments. I think I was only out for about 4 or 5 runs in that time.
  • shades I'd do my alternate 2 mile reps usually the same as my mile reps, my easier ones would be sub 9 min miles and the faster ones will be sub 8 min miles, if feeling fairly fit then sub 7.45 and hope to get some miles to sub 7.30 (7.20ish is HMP).  Well done for getting out early for the run, its certainly warming up out there.

Big G that's a decent parkrun without a full effort, does push you a bit when you have people around you.  Always great when you get feedback from peeps at races, you know it's a job well done.

Ian, 2nd place is a finish in the top 1/3 in the field lol, it was last minute and no need to let it bug you, we all have bad days and would like things to go better.

Jelly shame Cornwall marathon wasn't a couple of weeks earlier, also missing Eden project as have a half marathon in Peterborough that day too.

Cal well done on the mileage! that's  decent 18 miler and hope the ankle is okay

Steven well done for getting out, hopefully will get back into the swing of things

Friday finished work and did 8x8sec hill sprints then ran commuted to the next station 7.5 miles in total.  Didn't get a run in during the weekend due to volunteering at Heathrow, really enjoyed the experience! Had to help Elaine Thompson (jamacian 200m runner) she had two others but between them had 8 huge suitcases, they had been to monacco last week but still 2 races all that kit!!!! plus she didn't even run.

Also a lovely athlete Lisanne De Witte, dutch 400m runner (got a bit of a crush on her) she came over with just a cabin bag with a training kit for that day and her race kit.  Had a good laugh and compared our training... she focused a lot more on diet than I did lol.... her long runs were no more than 5km and a max of 20-25 miles a week!  We did both agree that 1500m/ mile was the worst event that ever existed and was an evil existence!

Also met Mariya Lasitskene's agent and when asked about training for the high jump she said a lot of it is mind control and hypnotherapy and managing the subconscious and our last guy was a Nike rep who offered us whatever kit the atheletes didn't want we could have if we met him today but as there were no shoes, not much point.

Training didn't happen over the weekend however did manage to fit 2 sessions into a single run today, tried 6 miles with middle 4 miles at mp and struggled to keep the pace going for the final mile, then followed up with 9 x 10 second hill sprints with about 80 secs recovery   

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-Nice mileage after a break,hopefully you can get going again.
    Big G-Plenty of time to do housework when the weather changes.
    Shades-10k again?? 
    Rob-Sounds like you had an interesting weekend,tough session today.
    Managed 8 miles after work but didn't bother today as I'm hoping to do a long run tomorrow and would have been a bit much 4 days on the run with a race and long run in amongst them.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - good news on entering Davey's race, I'd better get my entry in too. :) 

steven - the hardest part of marathon training is trying to schedule it into your life, especially if you have a demanding job and work shifts.

Robert - maybe I'll skip the 2 mile reps if they're to be done at the same pace as the mile reps.

You should do the Cornish marathon one year, it's really special.

That's your weight training done helping the athletes with all their luggage.   Great that you were quizzing them on training and diet, really interesting.

Years ago when I was doing a 12 hour race round a track an athlete and his coach came onto the track to do a training session for the high jump.  As we were running round and round the track we were able to listen and watch the training session and it was so interesting.

Ian - yes, another 10km.  I entered this one when I was on a high from finishing the last one.  Big G tells me this is not as hilly as the last one so I'm looking for a season's best. :)   I'm not having much luck finding any other short races to do this year, I've found a half in Sept to do but any others clash with my marathons/ultras, lots of off road but don't want to do them.

You're certainly ramping up the training.

It was so hot in my flat yesterday that I did nothing productive and another restless night sleep wise, but it did feel cooler when I got up and there was even dew on the cars when I went out.   So fresher today for running and had a great run.  :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, I sympathise. I woke up three times during the night and gave up after I woke up a fourth time at 3:55am. Got myself out for a run around 5.30am. Did 10 miles in 1:44, including diverting down some local roads I've never run down just because I fancied seeing where they went. Some ankle discomfort  (right achilles, although it warmed up after a mile or so, and left ankle where I rolled it) but nothing major.

Well done on the 13, steven - can't be easy running after a nightshift. Or maybe it's easier? I don't know!

Robert - what a great experience meeting those athletes! Probably right about the mile - it's basically a really long sprint. Which is fab as I'm doing one on Monday evening when it's likely to be still very warm. :/
    Good training, too!

In other news... My coaster club has announced the dates of its Poland trip (believe it or not there are a couple of good parks in Poland) which is the one trip I wanted to do next year, and it's on bloody Liverpool marathon weekend. So I basically either a) don't do the trip or b) drop out of the race, which a friend I've not seen in years is doing, and lose the entry fee as there are no deferrals. I'm already missing a Turkey trip I wanted to do due to it being the same week as Richmond half (also a crucial week in my pre-Chester training) so I'm a bit torn. If I do decided to drop out of Liverpool, though, it does mean I can potentially do DD. So there's that.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Sounds a great experience doing that Robert.  I went to a talk once that Jo Pavey did, and that was interesting too, although she was really angry at the cheats that stopped her getting medals she deserved.  I haven't done Eden either, but I'd like to, although for some reason it's not high up on my list, although it's fairly local.  Not sure why really.  There's another popular fairly local one called Imerys, which I may will do at some point, but again it's not high up on my list, but that one is mainly trail which I don't love.

Cal, what a dilemma!  Poland and DD get my vote ;)    No, seriously, it's a tough one if you're seeing a friend at Liverpool.  Maybe have a chat to them and see what they say?  Could they come to Poland, or maybe DD to help/support?

Shades/Ian, I unfortunately didn't get out on the SUP yesterday but I'm going out today most definitely.  I went on a club run last night, organised by Jelly and one other.  I did the 7.5 mile route around Haldon Forest - a great run but we were all dripping with sweat at the end.  We had a nice meal at the pub afterwards too.  Sausages and mash I had :)  

Shades, I've entered Davey's December one too.  £20 is hard to resist!  It's a good way for him to get rid of his left over medals, and I'm not too bothered about which medal I get anyway.  I know some may have one race they haven't done in the series so want that specific medal, but I'm not in that situation.

If I do all the events I have planned (and it's a big if at the moment, as I may not do Salisbury, plus who knows with injuries etc), I have 18 more marathons planned this year, which includes 2 doubles at Enigma events.  After those Enigma events this year, it's unlikely I'll enter any more, unless I'm struggling for numbers at some point in the future.  In fairness, two of the events I won in raffles, but the other two I entered early - I won't purposefully plan to do any more though, I don't think.  There are two local events I could turn into doubles if I wish to, but I doubt I will unless I'm some how feeling very fresh.  I've done 13 so far this year, so the second half of the year is a lot busier than the first half!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I don't do many shorter races either,mainly because I'm not will to travel too far for a short race.
    Cal-Tough decision for you,do you have a deadline to decide by?
    Big G-18 more this year?some going as there's only 22 weeks left.
    I had an email to say the flybe spring flights are out now and cover DD weekend, usually they have a sale at some point so will look then.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I have a little while. I messaged my friend and he said it's fine if I want to do the Poland trip - as he pointed out, there are lots of races but only one Poland trip. It's just that I've paid the entry and I'm not exactly flush. But there you go.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I am counting the days until I go to the IOM for a 3 night stay as it's cooler there than here and at night even in August it's not unusual for the hotels to put the heating on as the temperature is a lot cooler in the middle of the Irish sea.

Tough decision to make re the Polish trip.   It's so hard sometimes to decide what to do with so many date clashes of events.   Of course I would be thrilled if you come down to do DD next year :) 

Big G - Imerys is run on that white china clay soil, need sunglasses and I can't imagine how hard the surface must be now, must be awful, I've not heard any recommendations to do that event.   I've heard good reports about Eden though, but neither on my list.  I think Eden give you free entry to the Eden Project too.

I've pencilled Salisbury in on the list, can always be amended if you change your mind.   I don't care what medal I get at Plym Trail either, I'm just doing it to make up for all those I've missed this year.   Re Enigma, you do keep winning those competitions, Foxy must have great sales techniques. ;) 

Ian - I agree, not willing to travel too far for a shorter race, I think I have a 2 hour drive each way for the half in September and that's about the limit for a half.

Great that you've got your eye on the flights to Exeter for DD :D 

Bloody hot here again, was deliciously cool in Pilates.   

Off to enter Plym Trail now. 
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Eden is on my list, if the Half is anything to go by it’s not one if you’re building numbers. Very Hilly, it’s free entry to project for you and supporters and pint, pasty and medal. Nice finish in centre of Eden. Half was half trail/road from what I remember. Rose coloured glasses might be at play here. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, 18 on the list, and 14 entered so far, so a bit of leeway if I want to not do one or two.  I'm currently on 39 in total and at the start of the year I had hoped to get to 50 in total by the end of the year, which should be doable all being well.  There are some weekends with no events so with the two doubles plus one other week with two events, it's not every weekend.  It is a lot for me - I did 20 in total last year, so 18 over the remaining year is a lot but on paper at least, it seems doable.  I'll just see how I get on in terms of tiredness/niggles etc.  How this all translates into a PB attempt I'm not entirely sure at this point, especially as my summer training hasn't been very good at all.  There are four events that lend themselves to having a crack if everything goes well, but the rest will most likely not be a PB attempt, but will aim for sub-4s if weather conditions etc okay.  This weekend looks likely to be hot and as it's a double, it'll probably be a "get it done" job and not focussing on any time as such.

Shades, I know Chair and a few other Trotters rate Imerys as a training run in the lead up to DD, but it doesn't really interest me.  As you say, the terrain is very tough (it's been described as "moon like") and it can be hot, with the sun reflecting back off the surface which I'd imagine adds to the heat.  It's strange how some events get my interest and others don't, and what different events others runners are drawn to.  I was chatting to Chair yesterday on the run, and he was saying his favourite ever race (other than London) is North Devon, which I can't really ever imagine I'll enter as it's a tough off-roader, which isn't really my cuppa tea.  He's back into his marathons again now and said he's pretty much got one every fortnight over the next few months.  I don't know how many he's done in total, but he's 6 away from 100 sub-4s (I know he's done well over 50 sub 3:30s within that).  After he got to his 100 he had a bit of a break, but he's obviously enjoying them again now.

Shades, yes I do kind of regret entering the ballot for those free events.  It was so easy to enter and I did it without really thinking I'd win, and then I ended up winning two of the things!  Of course for me, they're not free anyway, with the travel and hotel needed.  I need my head read sometimes...

I went out for a SUP this morning and I didn't fall in once, which is a marked improvement, and I had a good time out there.  It's tiring though, I think because I know I am quite tense when I'm on the board.  I'm sure I'll get better with continued practice.  I do have a kayak seat for it as well, which I haven't used yet.  I think I may take that with me next time as if I get tired I can can come back in and attach the seat, and then still get out and about around the coves etc, in a bit more of a relaxed manner!  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - that's a good deal from the Eden, and especially nice if you have supporters with you on the day.

Big G - I guess it will be a Factor 50 weekend for you at Enigma this weekend. B):'( 

I think Imerys just falls at the right time in the race calendar for DD training, I don't think it's rated for anything else except it's not too far away, nothing more.  I've heard a couple of 100MC guys say that North Devon is very tough, but a beautiful course.

We're all so easily led into entering more marathons/competitions ;) 

I think this is the weather to fall in when out on your SUP.  I'm sure it's tiring, that's core work for you and you have to concentrate which makes it more tiring.

Plym Trail entered, I hope it's not too cold that day....can't believe I'm saying that while sitting in my office which is so hot :'(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I think SUP is good for the core and people do yoga on them and all sorts.  I saw some video of a guy yesterday doing a headstand on his for far longer than I was initially able to stand up on mine ;)  I also know if I don't concentrate I end up kind of looking down at the board and my feet, whereas I think really I should be looking at the horizon, and letting the board do the work, and my legs naturally go with the waves.  What with trying to get the paddling technique itself correct, there's a lot to think about!  When I was on the boat to Brixham the other day, I saw a couple of lads fishing off their SUPs - I've since found out that they attach a small anchor to it, so it doesn't go floating off.
  • Ian hope the long run goes well, its very warm here

cal bit of a dilemma, I also am not a fan of wasting entry fees, I hate it! In the grand scheme of things can you justify adding the cost of the entry fees to the cost of the Poland trip? there's your answer now your friend has given you a pass.  I was considering the fetcheveryone mile at woking track this weekend but other than parkrun and a training run we really need to tidy the house.

Big G, I understand Jo's annoyance, the thing that frustrates me the most with the drug cheats is that it wrecks careers, people quit/ retire as they aren't good enough, miss selection for a games due to them.  That's a lot of marathons planned, good luck with that, don't think I could fit that many Parkruns in!

Shades, another 10k means closer to the 100!!! I'm quite lucky having London just a short train journey away, (the train takes forever though) means we have an array of races every week to choose from, just I don't want to do many 10k, I won a free entry and got one in a few weeks (same as cal).

Was very warm this morning, managed to get out 2 bottles of water and kept the pace sensible... 11 miles @ 8.50 pace hopefully get out over the next couple of days either earlier or later in the day.

• JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Imerys is on my list but for more personal reasons than course, My Dad was a lorry driver and visited the different clay quarry’s with work and I know he used to go there. Not sure if I would risk it next year so close to DD, given how many DNS I’ve had this year. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope this weekend goes well,be careful with the heat.
    17 miles today,few decent hills in amongst it made it quite tough at times.Luckily it was cooler today so heat wasn't an issue.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    That's a good length run in this weather, Ian.
    Another restless night, followed by 7 miles, which was essentially 6 miles plus strides (with jogging recoveries). Rather muggy.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I was up and out for a run early, for me - before 7am.  I did 7-miles and it wasn't too bad.  

Today's TdF stage looks like it's going to be an important one.  It's only 65K but with three big mountains, the experts seem to be predicting it could be a decisive day.