Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian - Didn't realise the police charged for it being kept!!

Had my follow up today, cardiologist is happy with the results and while abnormal readings for sedentary people, it's nothing to worry about, so I have the all clear!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Steve, that's great news that the results came back and you've got the all clear.  Good to get these things checked out, and at least you can put it out of your mind.

Welcome back Khani.  I'm sure us Shadies don't mind if you dip in and out - no need to feel guilty!  It's always good to enter a race to give us something to aim for and help with the training.

Robert, I need to practice what I preach, but did you do any stretching after Tuesday's session?  If not, maybe next time do some gentle stretches afterwards - those sessions are tough.  There are churches on Dartmoor - combine the two?  ;)  

My run did not go to plan today.  On a whim (mainly as it was such a nice morning) I took the train up to Exeter, and was planning on running back to Teignmouth, before catching the train home.  If all had gone to plan this would have been around 15-miles, on the easier bit of the City to Sea route.  However, my guts had other ideas, and after 4 miles I realised I was in danger of having to do some "wild pooing", which I was very desperate to avoid.  So the run turned into a walk (2-miles), and I made it to a pub to use their facilities.  Afterwards, I still wasn't quite right, so had a quick look where I was in relation to the train stations, and also when the train may be there (there are a couple of stations that aren't stopped at regularly) and walked to Starcross station (3-miles), to get the train home.  No harm done and everything is fine, but it's annoying as that would have been a great run in the conditions (sunny, clear skies, but not too hot), and I was really up for it this morning too.  Oh well, there's always another time.  I'm not sure what caused the stomach issues, but I'll just put it down to a bad day.  All-in-all it was okay and very scenic, but most definitely more of a walk than a run (2hrs for the 8.7 miles).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope there's no wind for your race, as I think you're ready to give this one a good shot.

Didn't realise the police charged for that but I suppose in most cases there is some damage and an insurance claim.   But better than getting your car trashed/written off.

Robert - I used to work with a girl that ate her lunch at 9.30 a.m. every day, then moaned all day that she was hungry.   
    I did have a hungry day yesterday, ate a bit more and I'm fine now.

That's not good that your legs were still sore, you need to ease up with those speed sessions and not go so fast.    No way should you have discomfort/DOMS 3 or 4 days after a club session.

That's not good news about the christening.  Assuming that would be on the Sunday, at worst you can drive home after the race.

(((Khani))) - welcome back.   You'll have to pm me your email address, I've changed computer since we were last in touch and can't find your email address.

Why not just check in with us once a week so we can keep you on the straight and narrow, say after you've done your long run

Hope all the family are well.

Steve - brilliant news.   So you are officially not sedentary :)  

Big G - what a shame your planned outing turned out like that.   Just as well that didn't happen during City to Sea.

Rest day for me today, race tomorrow.

As we were talking about cups/bottles during races this week, my half marathon tomorrow is using these, never tried them before.   Apparently they are made of plant product and degrade in 6 weeks.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was thinking the same yesterday.  Or if it happened on any marathon, particularly one with a strict-ish cut off!  Imagine travelling for one, especially if it was a relatively expensive one with flights etc, and then being timed out whilst in the loo....

I'm up-to-date with Vuelta now - I'm really enjoying it so far.

As for me, I'm doing a parkrun this morning and then it's my mate's wedding later today (the one who's stag do it was in Barca).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think those that are prone to runners trots tend to take an Imodium on race morning, just in case.

I'm way behind with Vuelta, only watched Stage 7 yesterday, really enjoying it too.   I'm up to date with the Tour of Britain, I think that finishes this weekend, then I can catch up on the Vuelta.

Enjoy the wedding.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I put a bit of effort in today at parkrun and did 20:27, which is my quickest time for 12 months on that course.  I felt pretty good, although did slow on the mile around the field as usual.  We've said it before, but I need a proper 5k race!

Splits were, 6:28, 6:28, 6:48 with last bit at 6:24 pace.  Sub-20mins is 6:26 pace.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's great, a nicely timed 5k race and that sub 20 is yours for the taking :)
  • Welcome back, Khani.
    Nice parkrun, Big G.

Shades, watch out for those Oohos. I did a 10K where they were trialling them and, not realising what it was, I took it, bit down and the water squirted into the back of my throat and almost choked me to death. I am not a fan, much as I support minimising plastic. They don't hold much fluid anyway so if you have a bottle, I'd take it with you.

Steve, great news you're in the clear. :)

I took a rest day yesterday - no pilates, nada. Had a gentle walk on the way to pick up my laundry.
    Today, I felt a little better so decided I'd hit Dulwich parkrun. Getting to it on public transport is a major pain (three trains each going one or two stops, so with all the changing and waiting, it takes over an hour) so I elected to run there as it's just over a mile beyond Brockwell. I made it 4.5 miles there, but discovered I didn't take the most direct route, so it was more like 4.2 on the way back.
    Dulwich parkrun is a fast one. It has some slight gradients but is all on tarmac and is a straightforward three lapper.  I ballsed up starting my watch - guess I hit an extra button with my fat fingers, but got it going as soon as I could. Now the good thing is, I ran a pretty textbook 5K with mile splits of 8:01/8:06/8:05 with 7:32 pace for the last bit. My watch actually made it 3.1 miles when I stopped it at 24:57, so unofficially that would appear to be my first sub-25. However, I knew that I'd have a good chunk added for my slow start, and my official time came in at 25:11. Whilst that's a little bit frustrating, it's still my second fastest parkrun (Peckham is the fastest and my watch measured that one slightly short, where this one appears to be slightly long - hard to tell though as Garmin isn't all that accurate on lapped courses especially where there are trees) so I'm pleased, especially after a) a 4.5 mile jog there and b) feeling under the weather this week.
    I think I need to do a chip timed 5K to get a more accurate time! I am doing a chip timed 5K next Saturday, but it's in Old Deer Park on grass and from the sound of it, seems to be more of a fun run (not to mention the fact it's the day before my half, so not sure if it's a good idea to gun it!)

I normally go to hot pilates (which is a core +HIIT class with burpees and mountain climbers as well as the ab and glute stuff) after parkrun but since I'd covered more than 11 miles on my parkrun jaunt, I thought it probably best to have a rest instead. I really am rather tired now!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sounds like we're in a similar position as we're looking for an official 5k race.  The ones local to me aren't chip timed, but that's fine for my purposes.  I think in the case of my local "fast" parkrun, the course is often subtly different on the lap of the field.  Today there were two sets of cones, making it clear we had to go to through the middle of them which was a metre or so out from the edge of the rugby pitch, whereas often we're on the edge of the pitch (which would be a shorter route).  Plus there were very minor changes in other parts of the course too, making one turn tighter (i.e., slower), and one very slightly longer around a corner.  I know these changes don't make all that much difference (maybe 5-secs, at most!), but this is the reason I don't count my parkrun time as my 5k PB as I'm not really sure how accurate it is.  This all sounds like I'm complaining about my local event, and I'm not - it's just I don't feel I can count it as my 5K PB, even though it is my quickest time.  

Yeah, you definitely can't rely too heavily on Garmins for measurements unfortunately, especially if there are corners etc, but it gives you something to aim for at an official event.   Mine today measured 3.11, but that's probably just a fluke on this course.  Sometimes it's 3.05, and sometimes it's 3.15+.  From my point of view, the thing I took away from it today was that I felt pretty good and strong, which is encouraging.  Today I finished 10th out of 260, and second in my age cat.

Not sure what I'd do about that 5k next Saturday.  I think I'd be slightly tempted to give it a miss, especially as you were a bit disappointed with your last Half.  It's a tough one though - 50/50!  Especially if you did end up getting a PB at the 5K...
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I'm also hoping it isn't windy but not looking good at minute,18mph forecast at minute.
    Big G-You've definitely got 19:xx in you,your 3k gives you 8:50 to do the last 2k in and you averaged 3:46 so its there when you can fit it in.
    Cal-Well done on the parkrun,my times have been better after a good long warm up as I'm well warmed up then.
    Rob-Must have been a tough session if you're still sore, saying that I felt a bit sore for 3 days after my last 5k.
    Steve-I hope your constabulary don't charge as I think it's up to each force.Great news on the cardiologist.

• Shades - The time to get for the roast dinner was anything around 2:45ish so 20 mins quicker isn't really down to the dinner ;) Yes new car just home from collecting it. Still a Yaris and a ex demo cos i cba waiting til Nov for a new one. 1.5 not 1.3 cos they stopped doing 1.3's and more features plus higher spec than last one. Digital radio too so in theory no radio drop out going up to Penrith or through the wiggly bit below Tebay on the M6 plus more importantly Radio 5 live sports extra ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to all racing today!  I hope the conditions etc are good for you all.

Keith, nice car.  I've got a Pug 207 (2011) and one of the best features of it is that it connects to my phone, so I can listen to MarathonTalk and other podcasts on the journeys to events.

The wedding went off without a hitch and it was a good day.  Knackered now though.  The wedding was an hour up the road but I drove home, whereas the others booked B&Bs as they were drinking.  Interestingly, the mate I sometimes travel with said to me that he is thinking about going a month alcohol-free, as he is fed up with the hangovers.  Not being big-headed, but I think a few of my mates are thinking "If Big G can do it, anyone can!".  Anyway, it was a good day out.

I'm not religious, but I'm "Godfather" to my friend's daughter and it's her 6th birthday today, of which i'm invited to her birthday party with a load of other 6 year olds.  If anything drives me to drink, it'll be this ;)  I hope to get a run in a bit later, all being well.
  • Security training is the formalization of the common forceful nature of the pooch through interesting tedious activities."
    In different expressions, we teach the canines to secure you with the asset of, building up its hostility and its decision to pursue things the utilization of self-conviction building wearing exercises. Their brains are developed to ponder thought on that they might need to win any battle. You can never again do that utilizing stress techniques, it must be with executed confidence. The mutts are not hurt while proficient effectively.

For more info about dog training add . and com with the site which is written below.

Dogstrainingtools
  • Controlled pace run, somehow ;) this morning and there was minor hints of something in hamstring but other than that it was fine. Bit under 4 miles in total. Pretty much feels like times in the past where some speedy stuff has tweaked it a bit so controlled running is usually fine to do.
  • Keith, that's good news about the hamstring.
    Glad you enjoyed the wedding, Big G. :)

Just settling down to watch the GNR, following a nice hot bubble bath and a good brekkie. Oh and another 21 miles in the bank. :wink: Wimbledon route again, although a bit different to last time with some extra wiggles here and there. Achilles was surprisingly docile - it only complained a bit after going up The Downs (a nasty steep road on the way to the common). I was expecting it to be a lot grumpier as it had a good old moan on the way back from parkrun yesterday (but that also involved running up a massive hill - not as steep as the one today but longer).
    I decided to throw a little hill in at the end just to get me ready for Chester. I seemed to handle it fine - my last three miles were the quickest.
    That's 54 miles logged for the week - an easy week now to give me time to recover for Richmond.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal.  Sounds like you had a great run.

Keith, good news the hammie at least seems to be manageable.

I did a 7-miler today, which I really enjoyed.  It's one of my regular routes but I did something I rarely do.   I ended up doing an easy 1st mile and was feeling really good, so just upped the pace for the middle 5 miles - 8:09, 7:25, 7:40, 7:43, 7:46 - before an easy last mile.  I loved it, although it did involve a bit of a head wind along the front.  Speaking of which, I hope the wind for Ian's race isn't too bad today. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Glad you had a good day and seem to be inspiring others with your lack of drinking.
    Cal-Great run again from you,really good mileage you are putting in.
    Wirral Half today,despite it being my closest it's actually the first time I've done it.As predicted we had a pretty tough headwind for about 3 miles from 6-9.First 6 were really consistent all within a few seconds of 6:40 pace,then the wind took effect and I slowed to 7:10s,I knew if I could hold that until we turned I was still on for a good PB,and to be honest I felt really strong.At the turn point you don't get quite full payback as it is more sheltered running along a road,but managed to get back on pace,couple of little and we were racing along the front towards the finish and here we did have the wind fully behind,the last 1.5 miles I averaged 6:30 pace to finish in 1:27:43 so 2 min PB,and 26th overall out of 813 finishers.
    Overall if it wasn't windy it is a really good course,pretty flat but a couple of inclines to alter the legs but a definite PB course
  • Ian, that's brilliant! Congratulations on the new PB!
    Thanks Big G. Sounds like I avoided the wind here in London - GNR looks a bit windy too.
  • Steve- great news getting the all clear.

Got out running last Monday and Tuesday after a couple of weeks of no running and thought that was me back into my marathon training. Foolish of me to get excited as since Tuesday I have had a horrible cold so again absolutely no running since. Beginning to think my next marathon is not meant to be.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's a great time.  I never seem to benefit in a tail wind as much as I lose in a head wind.  Very well done.

Steven, sorry to hear about your cold.  Try and recover well, and then decide about the marathon.  You can still make the start line, so fingers crossed the cold shifts quickly.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - first time trying our the Oohos today and I thought they were brilliant, really easy to use and gives you 2 big mouthfuls of water and no air, which for me is perfect.   Only at one drink station when I took one and it was obviously open, they're quite delicate so had to take another.  I would never carry a bottle in a race, and certainly not a half marathon.

That's a good long run for you today and a wise move to chuck a hill in near the end.

Keith - congrats on the new car.   Mine is an ex-demo too and they're a good buy as have been well looked after and low mileage too.

That's good news on the hamstring, twinges should just go away in a while

Big G - great that your mates are so in admiration of you giving up alcohol that they are considering a trial too.  

Hope the party went well, at least there will be cake :) 

Ian - brilliant PB, well done.  2 minutes is a sizeable chunk at your pace.  You coped with the headwind well in the middle, unfortunately a tail wind never quite repays what's lost in a headwind but that didn't stop you.

steven - don't panic about the cold, let it clear up and you shouldn't lose more than a week, so rest up well this week and you'll be fine for your marathon.

Chippenham Half Marathon for me today.   I can't fault the race, lovely venue, easy drive, plentiful and free parking.   Very friendly event, about 800 runners, well organised.   Fast scenic course with a couple of very gentle undulations.    Finished in 2:16, which out of my approx. 40 half marathons is my 12th fastest.  Was 16/27 in my age group but unfortunately I was dropped to 55-64 age group in this race, not sure why they do the women's differently than the men's, which are V50, V60 etc.   WAVA 63.99% which I'm happy with.   I deliberately ran with no electrolytes or fuel and I was fine, tried to pace it evenly but I did slow a bit in the last 3 miles.  Nice medal, shirt which is black with long sleeves, very nice.    After the race I bought a bowl of macaroni cheese with smoked ham, delicious.  A good day. speedy drive home. :) 

Off to watch the GNR now.
  • Kharnivore, don;t worry about losing pace, sometimes I go a few days and find it overwhelming... well done for telling everyone that you've signed up, hope they give your the support/ boot up the aris you need.

Stevemac, thats really good news!

Big G hope the guts was just a one offf... thats a decent parkrun well done. Sub 20 becons! Hope the 6 yr old party went well.  As I've not done a fast 5k for some time, I don't really have a time so use my parkrun, but use each course and version of each course to monitor how I'm doing, 

Shades, I used to eat my lunch quite often by 10am, then buy more once, sometimes twice! there is a reason why I carry too much weight.  My moving time from the club night was 7 min miles so not slow but overly fast, however I dont run often at night, didnt know the route 100% and there were a few small incline hills which I wouldnt normally try and maintain speed on so a combination of all this left me hurting. How was those water capsuals? I've only heard poor reports about them.

Cal thats a decent run to parkrun and a well paced run, well done on banking 21, seems such a long way with my current training, not getting close to those distances! 

Keith hope the hammies got shrugged off and nothing too serious, I felt mine twing a few times today.

Ian congratulations, thats an pic chunk off your PB, you must be over the moon!  Headwind is a killer, like G never seem to gain what you lose, any more halfs planned?

Steven, bad news about the cold! Always the way alot of little things niggling and get in the way.

• shades xpost

Great race, well done sounds a good race, good to hear some a good review for the water pockets.  Whats your reason for not running with a bottle? I'm quite bad as I feel mine is like a comfort blanket hardly run without.

Yesterday my legs were still sore from Tuesday's session but knew I had to go for a run, set up parkrun which is a pretty big job itself 1.6 mile loop 20 signs, several boundary (cricket) markers and about 50 cones to lay out.

Ended up running faster than I planned, aimed for 25 mins ran fairly controlled, 7.31, 7.21, 7.42 and finished in 22.29 (40 secs off PB) was 7th at half way and finished 4th.

WGC race report to follow
  • WGC Half Marathon

The race had originally been planned for March but the Beast of the East thought otherwise, so it was delayed  with the reasonable choice of deferring to todays race or 2019 run.

Elle decided last minute to drive and support, arrived with less than an hour before the start collected race pack then made way inside for the loo, the loos were all severely blocked and feel sorry for the person who has that job but no real alternative and needs must it was pretty grim!!!!

Bumped into fellow Jogger (there was only three of us due to it being a championship race today elsewhere) and then did a couple of laps of the track and some stretched.

Legs felt better but knew I could struggle late on during the race.  Target 1.36.xx pretty much anything faster than 1.37.20 to achieve a new 2nd best time.

Set off and had no intention of sprinting off and ruining this race in the opening miles and I didn't let myself down, 1st 6 miles average 7.17 pace, hit 10k in 45.30 but felt in control knowing I had a few tougher miles with some bigger inclines and open so due headwind, battled those in 7.28,7.29, 7.38 and a quicker mile 7.20 to arrive at 10 miles in 1.13.30 still on target for 1.36.xx

My legs were starting to tire, and having pre known this would happen played on my mind, the course was fairly uninspiring and I felt good except for the legs mile 11 7.36, mile 12 was tough as along trotten grass/ mud path and single file at times and clocked a 7.38 and mile 13 mix of the same 7.32 I was willing my legs werent that keen and the final 200m sprint round the track I lost my main target but clocked a reasonable 1.37.04 beating my cambridge time by 15-20 secs my 2nd fastest half time only my 2011 PB beats it.  Recorded a fair bit of elevation >400ft.

Peterborough half in 5 weeks, a few more lbs to lose, some decent training, fresher legs and a pancake flat course think I can go closer to 1.34.48 but may be a step to far to break it.

• Brilliant, Rob - good parkrun too. You can definitely go sub-1:35 on a flat course.
  • Shades, solid half from you, too. Was it quite hilly? I used to go on riding holidays near there as a kid and remember it being rather undulating.
  • £23/£25 by a profit making company, t shirt medal and banana at the end, only negative was cups of water on course which i carried a bottle and elle passed another at mile 8.  only cups at the end too.

Mixed grill for lunch at local beefeater went down a treat, although have already been out for a run as needed to pick up a swimming float for my 1yr old nephew so a 3.8 mile round trip, used it as a recovery run as didn't after the race
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-sounds like you had a nice day,most races I've done recently have the same categories for male and female.
    Rob-Well done on the race,7 year PB is great work,5 weeks still gives time for improvement.
    I am indeed very happy with today's effort,most happy with the pacing,1st 5k was 20:49,5-10 was 20:45,then 22:12 and finished with 20:40.It would have been easy to have panicked when the wind was slowing my average pace but tried to stay calm.2 things I forgot was,I came 3rd in my age group and OH got another PB,1:51 for her,think she'd have been sub 1:50 without the wind and came 4th in her age group and 31st female so a good day.
    Shades-slight change so can you add me to the list for Hull on September 23rd please  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - there's no need to run with a bottle when there are drink stations every 3 miles.   You need to ditch that comfort blanket, it's a liability to your running ;) 

Brilliant race, well done you nailed it.   Lots more to come from you I think :)   You earned that mixed grill especially doing a post race recovery run too.

Cal - no, there were no hills at all, looks quite a flat part of Wiltshire.  Total climb for the race was 305, no uphills just gentle inclines, very fast course.

Ian - congrats on your 3rd place in your age group.   And to your OH on her PB, great that she's recovered from the dreaded PF.

Ian5 said:

Shades-slight change so can you add me to the list for Hull on September 23rd please  :)
    That's a fairly late entry for a marathon!   Are you doing Chester as well?

6 miles for me this morning, warmer than expected today, no gloves required.  

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just had an update about my 24 hour race

We would like to thank management and staff of Apache Pizza @ Texaco Spar Listowel who have kindly offered to supply hot food to the 24 hour athletes. This time 2 weeks everyone will have their camp set and getting ready for the off at noon, with DJ Greg McNamara belting out the tunes !!! #listowel24 #notforwimps

Keith - if you're thinking about doing a 24 hour race, this might be the race for you, lots of pizza :)