Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• A bare minimum 4 miles today, recovery pace. Muggy and windy. Actually it wasn't bad when the wind blew but I got very warm when it dropped. Achilles was grumpy and I was tired. One of those runs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't know how oversubscribed Berlin is but I'm sure it's nowhere near the amount of folk trying to get into London so maybe try the ballot again.  Are there any UK charities that offer places, they wouldn't be looking for the amount that the Gold Bond places in London ask for?

Re 24 hour race, I'm not planning to stop and rest unless I need to.   When I did my first 24 hour race, was sure I'd never do another I was so crippled with these massive blisters.  But on the drive home the following day from Hull I stopped at the motorway services and they were selling those canvas chairs, very comfy and a place for a bottle of drink and I bought one, thinking that's what I need for my next 24 hour race!   That chair is still in the boot of my car but obviously I can't take it on the plane with me so I've asked the RO and he says they will provide chairs for those that can't bring their own.   If I need to sleep, say if I feel ill, then I will sleep in the car.  Some folk will have tents with them and they will disappear off the course for a while.  Yes, I am planning to eat every hour and drink every 30 minutes.   I often don't feel like eating so what I'm planning to do is bag up my food in portions and take it on the hour and if I can't eat it immediately put it in small bum bag that I'll wear.  I've asked what is being provided, water, tea, coffee, fruit, buns, and porridge and pasta which will be when the runners decide, so porridge will be breakfast on Sunday and I guess the pasta in the middle of the night or early evening.   The pizzas are being delivered at 10pm :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sounds like you're as prepared as you can be then.  It does sound a good event.

For that Cream Tea Caper, a Trotter did 43 miles on the Sunday, which is fantastic for a 6hr challenge I think.  He won it that day, and did the most miles over other either the two days.  Interestingly though, there were 3 Trotters who I know were originally hoping to do the marathon distance, but didn't complete that distance over the weekend.  Not sure if that was because the course wasn't for them or for another reason, although I think they did enjoy the event.  My Garmin says 4:56-something, but they've given me a time of 4:55, not that I'm especially bothered about that, although I did run for the last mile to make sure I got a sub-5 ;)  

I'm looking through the info for Loch Ness.  I have been allocated my race number and pick it up at the Expo on Saturday, which looks like it's going to be a good one.  I would really like to buy a jacket for this race as a memento (I really like both my London jackets), but the only thing I'd say against it so far is that the merchandise doesn't look to my taste, but maybe when I see it at the Expo it will be better.  There are hoodies (which I won't buy) and T-Shirts (which I won't buy, as we get a race T Shirt), but I would prefer a jacket.  I'm really looking forward to it, but to save on a night's stay I am flying up 7am Saturday morning from Bristol, so I am going to be quite be tired I think.  I'm now wishing I was flying up Friday, but never mind.  Should be good though - I much prefer a closed road race, and as I said the other day, I am looking forward to the point-to-point course.  On the Monday, I am catching the train to Edinburgh for a night, partly to see some friends, and then flying back from there on the Tuesday.

Time wise, when I entered this I was aiming for a PB (even possibly hoping for a 3:15, which at the time was GFA) but I know I'm not anywhere near that kind of shape.  I'm not being pessimistic, but it's just the way it is.  I want to do my best though, so we'll just how I get on when I get there, but I must not go out too quickly! :)  I do need to look at my training though I think, as I do feel I've lost a certain "something" since the Spring.  I can't put my my finger on it really, but I've lost a certain freshness, bounce, whatever you want to call it.  I do wonder if I need to cut back on the marathons and target one specifically to try and do well in, and revert to more normal training.  But then, I remember thinking that at the start of this year, and then got my PB in Feb and my third fastest time in March.  So I'm not sure!  What is more important to me - the race times, or getting to the 100?  The thing is, I want both ;)  I need to think about it as I am hoping to do Rotterdam early next April (it's not booked yet, but that's what I've got in my mind) which would be a candidate for aiming for a good time, but I need to make my mind up about what I want to do in the first few months of next year regarding what events I do.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I saw that KW had won the event, he's been running really well this year.

The Expo at Loch Ness is only number collection and a running shop so won't take you long.   The race shirts are usually very good so hopefully you'll like them, I expect the jackets will be quite expensive but should be good quality.   The 7 a.m. flight is the one I got last year, so early start for the airport but I wasn't as tired as expected as it's a very easy journey.   Flight is fast, walk straight out the airport and you'll see a bus stop there, think the buses are every half hour, buy return ticket, good value.   Don't bother with the pasta party I've heard it's not really enough food for runners and if the weather is cool, which it's likely to be, you'll be sitting in a unheated tent to eat it.  If you want fish and chips for your dinner (they do other stuff too + desserts) there's a sit in chip shop on Longmans Ind. Est. called Lorimers.

At the Expo have your photo taken with Nessie, 

:):) 

Just finished putting my music on my MP3 player, has taken ages but done now.  

I'll give you a couple more hints tomorrow re Loch Ness but I haven't had lunch yet...
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, he's running very well.  He did very well at DD this year (5:04) and came 6th at the City to Sea 34-mile Ultra in 5:30.  He's another postie I believe, and does some of his training runs very early before work.  Nice chap too, but he doesn't mess about - he seems to want to run hard at any race he enters (and he trains that way too).  I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't enter his head to do one for "fun", which is fair enough of course.  I'm not saying he doesn't enjoy his events, but I think he just wants to race as hard as he can.   Having said that, his marathon PB isn't superb (in the region of 3:20 from Plym Trail, I think it is), but he is due a much better time than that.  I don't know if you're aware of Allen T from Trotters?  He and KW are quite similar really - pretty consistent, and both seem to prefer the longer stuff.  I think AT has done 85 marathon distance or above now, got his GFA and has done several 100-milers too.  I think AT and I are the only current set of Trotters with serious intentions of trying to get to 100 in the near/medium future, although I suppose someone could go on a roll and knock out loads very quickly, like RK.  RK's cousin (not a Trotter, but local) did something like 89 in a year I think...and I believe then went on to do 100 in a 52-week period.  RK's cousin has been known to drive 5 hours, do an event, and then drive back on many occasions (and then sometimes drive somewhere else the day after), which I personally wouldn't enjoy doing.  Again, a lovely chap though.

Going back to AT, I remember talking to him a couple of years ago about his GFA.  He said when he got it, he hadn't set out that day to actually get it.  He knew he was in good shape of course, but he hadn't set out to do it.  He ran to feel more or less, and crossed the line and then later realised he'd done it, which I find really interesting.  Sounding like a broken record, but another nice chap - he helped our young Trotter in the last few miles at London, when he was having a shocker.  I relate to what he said though as my best performances from a finish time point of view have come almost unexpectedly.  Well, "unexpectedly" is the wrong word I suppose, but I mean they've come when I haven't put myself under pressure.  Obviously you've got to have the fitness there but maybe it's tied in with what we were talking about the other day, whereby time goals can sometimes be limiting in some ways, and running to feel gets the best results.  Who knows for sure, but I think there's something in that.

Thanks for the tips about Loch Ness - all welcome :)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-24 hour race?wow,good luck,got to say I'm with Cal and pretty much no chance I'll do one of them,you sound well prepared so hope it goes well.
    Big G-I know what you mean about the cost of berlin but pretty certain I'm going to do it if I don't get in the ballot.next year or 2 i want to do my goal races while I'm still fit enough to do well at them and that is 1 of them.
  • BG - THe chief tip for loch ness is dont overhydrate too much in the morning as its a lengthy slow coach convoy to the start albeit they now go around the north side not up the A9. You can and will be on the coaches for sometime before they even depart and most if not all lack toilets. THey also dont always all turn up from memory.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I met KW before he joined the Trotters as I used to take the post from work to the sorting office and he recognised me from running/races so we used to have a natter.  I think he had a long term achilles problem at one time.  He seems very focussed when he races and I think he prepares well for his ultras, we used to talk about DD a lot.
    I think I know AT to say hello to but no more.  I've seen in the papers how well he does at races especially knocking out the ultras and recovering very quickly.

Re doing a PB, we've discussed this before, but we just don't know how we'll feel on race day even with the most meticulous preparation and there are times when unexpectedly it just all comes together.   But I think the need to feel mentally strong at the time is really important otherwise the temptation to ease up a bit and not take any risks can let that PB slip away.

Loch Ness ctd..

Error in my previous comment, you won't be needing a return ticket on the bus! 

Keith is right. On race morning don't drink much at all at least until you are on the bus, it's quite a long drive.   There are portaloos at the bus pick up point.   The buses leave on time and in a huge convoy, don't go and get on the first bus, select one mid-way, because there is no parking for the buses at the start so they stop in a huge line and the first bus, and probably the last bus are furthest away from the race start/loos etc.  I think this event requires every bus in the Highlands to be hired so they range from luxury coach, with loo, to old banger school type bus, so choose well. ;)

At the start there are portaloos, really efficiently marshalled by staff so although the queue will be long it moves quickly.   There is also free coffee and water at the start, probably need to grab that first before loo queue.   There is nothing else at the start, no buildings, it's in the middle of nowhere.  Quite a long wait before the start, last year the wind was bitterly cold, I had a bin bag, it wasn't enough, so take something warm to wear as you have to put your bag on the truck 20/30 mins before the start.  Once the race started we start to drop down and very quickly we were out of the cold wind.  It will be a lot cooler up there, probably 10 degrees or so which will suit you fine.  Air quality is better too.

More later.....

Very windy today and 17 degrees, feels really warm but autumnal as the leaves are coming off the trees.  Had a good run, short again, just 5 miles.  That's it now until Saturday :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The spam on this site seems to be getting worse :(  

Good news you've got your last run done Shades.  Are you flying out on Friday?

Thanks Shades/Keith for the tips.  I'm looking forward to it, although nervously looking at the forecast wind for Sunday as one site is saying it may be strong winds (25mph) and rain :(  The BBC are saying "Light rain and moderate wind" for Sunday, so I'll go with that forecast for now!

It's a recce run tonight of the Ladies 10k that my club organise.  The race is on Sunday so obviously I can't help out at the race, but I'm doing the run tonight and then the meal after.

I'm feeling very unsettled in myself - it's four years tomorrow since Claire died, and my mind is racing, remembering things I'd rather forget.  I've got a new partner now of course, but what happened 4 years ago has shaped who I am, and continues to do so.  It's hard to explain - I love Claire and always will, but at the same time I'm making a new life for myself as best I can.  It's confusing, as if I could turn the clock back I would, but I know I can't.  The first 3 anniversaries I found myself getting pretty drunk at the time she died, the first two on a beach at 1am in the morning on my own.  Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow at 1am, but I need to mark it some way I feel (obviously not drinking).  The new partner somehow understands all this and knows I have my ups and down - even going through the house sorting stuff has been very tough, as it's more or less the same as when Claire died.  Her clothes were all still in the wardrobe, etc etc.  I had it all out on the bed and just couldn't bring myself to take it to the charity shop.  The majority of it has gone there, but a I've sent off a few of her/my favourite items to be made into bears - I'm going to keep 3 most likely and give one to her best friend, and one to her Mum.  I'm also keeping her favourite race T-Shirts along with the medals.  Why, I don't know really - I just can't bring myself to chuck them out.  Again, the new partner somehow understands/accepts my need to do this, but it can't be easy for her either.

I'm fine, but probably just going to take it easy today and go for a coffee/cake or something, and then running tonight.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I know, the RW moderator seems to be missing, usually they're quite good at removing the scum from this thread.

Hopefully any wind on Sunday will be behind you.

I'm flying over tomorrow to Cork, pick up hire car and drive to Listowel.  Friday I will food shop, cook my macaroni cheese to take to the event, recce the race venue and feet up for the rest of the day.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow, your new OH is very understanding, you can't wipe out the memories of half of your life.   It must be very hard clearing the house for your move, so many memories.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades.  Yeah, it's not easy, but in parallel it feel like the right time to be moving.  It's hard to explain.

I just called the guest house that I'm staying in and they've said I can check in as soon as I get into Inverness, which is great.  I should be there 9:30am-10:00am so at least I won't have to drag my bag around with me.  They also cater for the runners so will make porridge or anything else on the morning of the race, which is nice.  I wouldn't have minded sorting out my own breakfast (there's an Aldi just up the road), but it'll be nice to have something with some other runners, and also a decent coffee!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    If you feel it's the right time to move, then it is.

Sounds like you're staying in the same area I was last year, Aldi at top of the road.  Can't be the same place though as they wouldn't do early breakfast for me.  But good area, quiet at night and not too far to walk to Bught Park and the town.

You might want to take a snack to eat on the bus as long time between breakfast and race start.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G -right last bit on Loch Ness, I promise

The first 4 miles are very fast and you can easily run at target race pace without any stress at all.  This means that you only have 22 miles to race now, you really can get to that point feeling like you've not run any distance at all.   The first little hill that comes along suddenly feels quite tough as you've been running so far on a gentle downhill, but don't let it put you off it's just a shock to the system.   

Fuel up at 17/18 miles so you are prepared for the hill at Dores.   Once you're up that it's fast and flat to the finish.   There's no traffic on the route, except for the odd car, carers or folk that live on the course.  Getting back into Inverness I think it's just traffic free on left hand carriageway.

Take your little food ticket that you get when you pick up your number.   There's hot food for the runners post race, just a small portion but enough to warm you up, it's always Baxter's stuff soup/stew.   There's usually a band playing in the food tent and creates a good post race atmosphere.

Usually a tin of Baxter's soup in the goody bag, take it to Edinburgh and eat it there.  Can't carry them back on the plane unless you have hold luggage, it's always amusing to see all the tins of soup at Inverness Airport security that have been confiscated :) 

• Shades, knew Berlin wasn't 1000ft elevation but found it strange that everyones strava can be so far out! Good luck on the 24hr sounds like you're prepared.  I keep on thinking it'll be a good idea one day to go longer either 100km/ 24 hrs or 100 miles then remember how far 50 miles was. Ware Joggers are doing Thunder Run in July which is a 24 hour race as a 5 and an 8, think there are a few nutters who are doing the 24 hours themselves.  There's a small part of me considering it but its the weekend after FVC which I've decided to try and race or use it as the weekend I do a back to back ultra.

Big G, have you got much planned before April? although I'm not racing marathons as often as you have, I have cut down and will probably only focus on the one at Manchester purely for a time.  My view is no rush to get to the 100 but there are only limited opportunities to achieve best times and need to make the most of those opportunities.

I can't imagine to begin to know how you're feeling at the moment, it's not silly you want to keep little bits as memories and it's great you have a partner that is understanding.

Hope everyone is going well, I've not run since my curtailed run on  Sunday, have decided to prolong the rest as it won't do any harm.  I also have left my final EMA assignment which I've had 6 weeks to do, I didn't even look at it until Sunday, started it today and due in mid day tomorrow.  I only need 40% to pass the year which I'm confident I can blag.

If I finish it today will test a couple of mile run tomorrow morning before a track session with the club.  I may put this rest week to good use and aim for a parkrun PB on Saturday.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, thanks for all those tips :)  Yes, it must be a similar area where I'm staying then, as I'm half way up the road to the Aldi which is at the end.

Robert, I've got a few races this year still, but going into 2019 there's currently nothing booked before April.  But I will probably book some, even if I do decide to target Rotterdam, and just not race those ones.  I could possibly try and leave 3 or 4 weeks before Rotterdam (if I go for it), but I've said similar to this in the past and ended up booking stuff - it's just too easy to book them up! 
  • BG - Further to shades first 4 miles are downhill. I would highly recommend NOT doing it at 5k pace like i did one year.... Partly an artifact of being realtively near the start forgetting we get drummed forwards by a school band so i was probably 50 foot if that from the start point.

25 mph is not a strong wind btw ;) It was 50 odd when i ran home today and i had one tree to duck under and one more fully blocking the cycle track so i went down a diff spur and more or less immediatly ran into a lady from Sustrans scouting out damage so raised the two trees. She was on phone to her boys as she's the maintaince team boss when i returned a few mins later.

CUrrently hamstring is fine although i am trying to keep speed low which kinda failed for first mile today those on Strave will notice ;) It was downwind i might add but still
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Robert - I distrust those elevation figures that keep being produced by Strava or similar, they're just not right.

Is the Thunder Run laps, off road?
    Interesting that you are intrigued by the longer distances too.  I've never gone past 80 miles but I've been told that once you get near 90 miles it can be a different world, swelling feet, hallucinations etc.

Hope you finished that assignment and that hip has stopped hurting.

Big G - yes, my guest house was in a similar position, I would choose that area to stay in next time too.   And on Monday morning nice and flat for your recovery run ;), running along by the river is lovely.

I know you said you were keeping some of Claire's favourite race t-shirts.  Have you considered having them made into a blanket along with some of your favourite shirts too.  Emmy had one made and it looked really nice.

Keith - ha, ha.  When I said to Big G that he could run the first 4 miles easily at target race pace, I didn't mean 5k pace :D    I cover my ears at the start as I hate bagpipes with a vengeance.

Glad the hamstring seems to be OK.

I've just trawled around the various weather websites and better forecast now for Inverness, but Ian looks like a very wet marathon for you on Sunday :s 

Unfortunately quite a bit of rain forecast for Listowel now for my race.   Heavy rain is a real problem as wet feet = blisters.   I've packed a first aid kit, bit of a novelty as for a marathon or short ultra I only take one plaster, some salt tablets, caffeine tablet and painkillers just in case.

But the good news is that I've also found the pizza place it's at the entrance to the park, so can pop there for extra if required :D  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thinking of you today and hope it goes as easily as possible,sounds like you have an understanding new partner which is great.
    Shades-Good luck with your flight,hopefully not too bumpy.
    Rob-Sounds like a good time for a PB attempt so may aswell give it a crack.
    Back from holiday to this lovely weather,we had a great time,not much running but very relaxing,I did notice my Achilles was sorer than normal but probably due to less walking than usual.
    Seen the forecast for Sunday and not looking good at the minute, never raced in crappy weather before.They did say they aren't sure where and when the rain will land so hope it holds off.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I did wonder if you'd run a marathon in the rain before.   Rain isn't usually a problem unless it's so much that you get wet feet. If it's windy too then that's not pleasant.   Don't overdress, dress for the 'feels like' temperature, don't even attempt to keep dry, except for your feet.   At least it should be cooler 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Right all packed so signing off now, should have wi-fi.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The wind is what I'm more worried about as it goes over the Humber bridge which may not be nice in bad  weather.
  • A couple of unscheduled rest days for me (I say rest, but I did a tough hot pilates class yesterday and Vinyasa this morning, plus I'll do pilates again this afternoon). Achilles/soleus were nasty after that 4 miler on Tuesday. I probably should have given myself two rest days after Richmond, but honestly, achilles didn't feel that bad after the race. Fortunately I already have a massage booked for Monday.
    I will have a run tomorrow and if it goes well, do parkrun on Saturday and a longer run Sunday. Two weeks out now - main focus now is getting myself to the start in one piece.

Good luck, Shades!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I did the 10k recce run last night and went to the pub afterwards for the meal.  I came home and stayed up until 1am just looking at old pics and trying to remember the good times, which I did manage to do in the main.  I got through it without a drink, which is a marked difference compared to previous years, so it's nice to feel fresh this morning.  I'm hoping to get a run in later along a route Claire and I loved, but going out for coffee/cake first.

A quick note for people thinking of doing a foreign marathon is that the easyJet flights are out today, booking up to June.

Best of luck Shades.  I hope the flight and everything goes well, as well as the race of course!

Keith, thanks for the tips.  I better not try and do a a 5k PB at the start then ;)   Speedy first mile on your run.

Ian, yeah the wind can be the issue, as you've said.  Let's hope it calms down a bit.  
  • Keith well done on the sprint start, nothing wrong with getting excitable about the run.

Big G, somehow I'm quite well behaved about entering races, when I have an A game I will only pop a couple of races in the lead up.  Will probably target summer months for a few Ultras/ off road races next year before focusing on club champs and a possible 50 miler.

Shades, yup thunderrun is off road (I don't mind off road), think its about 10k laps. Unsure if I have any real desire, think I need a couple more 50 milers under my belt before I decide if I want to go further. 

Ian, glad you had a good break, good luck with the elements in Hull, it's a grim enough city without grim weather!

Cal the rest wont do you any harm to recharge the batteries after the half, hope you're niggle free soon.

Assignment complete and submitted, put enough waffle in to pass hopefully!  Will drive to club run tonight but will test myself with a mile or  to make sure pain free before starting warm up and track session.

Good news another 1lb loss..... 1 more lb to lose and that's the stone mark. 

• Big G well done from staying away from the drink!
  • Big G, I think the no booze has been good for you. I'm glad you made something positive of the anniversary. I know dates can be emotional times - it would have been my mother's 88th birthday on Monday. I lost my parents four months apart five years ago - not quite the same as losing someone completely unexpectedly, but not easy either.
    Good luck in Scotland. I rather like the sound of that marathon - maybe one for the future (and I like bagpipes, ha!).
    Ian, good luck to you too.
    Robert, excellent work on the weight loss. I seem to have gained a couple of pounds just by lowering my mileage over the last two weeks - I think I need to be a bit stricter about treats on my next shop!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-If you got through it without a drink you're pretty much clear now id say so well done.
    Cal-Good time for resting now,no real fitness gains to be got so just recover.
    Rob-Well done on more weight,I've put a little on while away,didn't eat too much but I'm always active in work so sitting around hasn't burned many calories.
    Easy 6 with wife today,will do 4 tomorrow and that's me ready to go.
    Looked at the last 13 week's and I've averaged 38.2 miles,last year was 41.1 before lancaster so only 3 miles but it's nearly 10% but I'm running faster for the same effort so be interesting to see how I go.My original plan was to be around 45-50 but that hasn't happened,maybe next time.
  • Cal we had rid of pretty much any treats in the house, most are now in Chloe's bedroom away from me and Elle.

Ian I wouldn't worry too much about mileage as long as the quality of the miles have been good. 

I found myself looking at number of miles recently, was hoping to run 2018 miles in 2018, average 38.8 miles a week. after NDW50 in May I was averaging 43 miles a week (80 miles ahead of target).  The last 18 weeks (inc a 2 week holiday) I have averaged about 31 miles a week.  If I was to achieve the 2018 target I need to average 43 mile weeks for the rest of the year which I don't forsee me doing without piling aload of junk miles in which I don't want to do.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks all.  Yeah, I think the non-drinking is helping me in lots of ways.  

Cal, I haven't heard a bad word about Loch Ness.  A few from my club have done it, plus a few 100MCers I know, and Shades recommends it.  It's supposed to be a great event.

Ian, that's still good mileage and as you say, you're running faster for the same effort now so you're obviously fitter now, which is great news.

I went for a coffee and then ran/walked back along the coast path.  I wasn't in any hurry at all, but I'm still counting it as mileage (7.8 miles).  In one of the coves I run through, there were two seals paying around near the cliffs.  I did get a pic, but not a great one, as my vantage point was way above them.  Still nice to see though.