Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, I meant my 50th marathon. :)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Big G - I think we owe it to ourselves to be as happy and fulfilled as we can and that radiates out to those around us too.  Goals don't have to epic or life changing.   

But keeping healthy and fit is such an important goal as it affects every aspect of our lives.  

Ian - you've done really well this year considering you were nursing your achilles too.   How is the achilles now?

I was hoping my new style Mavericks long sleeved top would arrive for tomorrow's race but I had an email during the week saying it was delayed so I will have to debut it in 2019.   Never mind it looks like it's going to be a bit chilly tomorrow so might wear a light jacket anyway.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Its still there,only really for the first half hour or so in the  morning,can't feel it at all after that all day.if I got a run in today I'll have had 3x50 mile weeks and it's reacted well so I'm happy about that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's really good news re the achilles.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, great news about the achilles.  

I got to parkrun today, including a steady 1.5 miles there and back.  It was raining for all of it, but I did quite enjoy it.  Hip feels okay - not 100%, but I hope to be there tomorrow.
  • Options
    The 5Ks of Christmas at Battersea track today. I was in the slowest race (23+) but as hoping to go under 25 and also, not to finish last. It was really frigging cold, with an icy wind, but fortunately the track wasn't slippery like last year (although I was volunteering last year, due to the hip injury).
    There were pacers for 23, 24 and 25 minutes so I set out with the 25 guy but went past him after a lap. I was feeling quite strong at that point, but from then on I was running on my own as the 24 pacer was a way ahead. First mile was a promising 7:50 so I felt confident I could crack my PB, but unfortunately, my time slipped and mile 2 was done in 8:15. I didn't feel as though I was going any slower but Garmin stats seem to suggest that my stride shortened a little. I pulled it back for am 8:07 final mile and then went for the finish but I was well over 25 (about 25:20 - watch made it 25:15 but for the first race the timing mat wasn't on the finish line so I got caught out and slowed down. They moved it for the rest of the races) The 25 pacer had obviously decided to keep the last runner company rather than stay on target, which also caught me out a bit as I might have managed to pick up my pace if he'd come back at me. Eh...well, I wasn't last, so that's a plus, and I can't really beat myself up for my time considering I've been unwell recently.
    And of course, being in the first race meant I could hit the mulled wine. I was helping with chip collection for the remaining races and I think I had about 5 cups of it. I'm not much of a drinker but it's one of the few alcoholic drinks I like, plus it was freezing. It was an enjoyable morning, even if I didn't quite get the result I wanted.
  • Options
    Ian- sound good running your doing lately and so pleased to hear your achiles is not causing you to much an issue.
    Big G- glad the cars fixed and not to pricey for you.

4.5 miles today in what was bitterly cold conditions. On the plus side due to the cold the streets were pretty quiet.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal, sounds like you had an enjoyable race, which is the main thing.  Are you planning any Xmas Day or New Year's Day parkrun(s)?  I can't do any Xmas Day but there is a slight possibility I may be able to get two in on New Year's Day - there's one in Exmouth (around 45-60mins away) at 9am, and then in theory I could whizz back to Torbay and do theirs, which starts at 10:30am.

Steven, sounds like you're ticking over nicely.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done, great running in tough conditions.   It can't be easy doing so many laps of a track and trying to keep your pace up.   I think you deserved the mulled wine, great way to warm up in the cold weather.

steven - cold weather for you yesterday, have you got snow yet?

Big G - well you won't be having a hangover on NYD so you could certainly do your 2 parkruns.

No marathon for me today, I've decided to DNS as my calf is still sore.   Last night was our club's Xmas do and I had to take off the Kinesio tape as I couldn't get my skinny jeans on over the tape and the calf didn't feel so happy without the tape.  It was twinging a bit when I was driving to the pub and getting in and out of the car.   So I decided not to run today as I don't want an injury going into my winter's training.

Enjoy the marathon Big G.
  • Options
    Sorry about your calf, Shades - have you tried calf sleeves? I find them easier to manage than tape, when wearing under other clothes.
    Good luck, Big G.

Today looks lovely - blue skies and sun - but as I was awake very early I went out before 6 and did most of my run in the dark. As it was dark, it was mostly streets (I did cut across Clapham Common near the end, but it was light at that point). I ran up to Brockwell, minus the Tooting circuit I usually do first, and while the gates were open, the park itself was pitch black so I didn't really fancy that. I'm surprised there are no lights at all in there - plenty of people walk their dogs, run or go to use the lido.
    So I skirted around it via the roads, ran on to Dulwich, then down towards Peckham but took a left towards Camberwell, up a hill I use to torture myself with as a teenager, and it's every bit as horrible as I remember. Then down to Camberwell, along to Oval and up to Clapham, across the Common and home. 13.2 miles all told but it felt a lot further. I was suprisingly tired towards the end (even though I was averaging 10:33 which is slower than some of the longer runs I've done) and had quite a few bits niggle at me. Achilles was OK until I took it up the big hill, but I also had an issue with post tib (right under the ankle bone) and my left hamstring, which hasn't really bothered me for quite a while. I was getting some discomfort from the left SI joint too. I guess I really need a massage/adjustment but I don't have the money right now. Eh...
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a varied and interesting long run. Did you have lots of kerbs/uneven surfaces to negotiate, that can often give a few niggles post run.

No, I haven't tried the calf sleeves. I wouldn't have been able to get those jeans on over them either, very snug fit on ankles and calf area. I can't even put them on if I'm wearing thin socks, have to put the socks on after.

I had all my race kit laid out and bag packed, took ages to put everything away again. Quite depressing doing that.  Haven't got a race now until mid February.
  • Options
    Those are some very skinny jeans then! I tend only to wear loose-fitting clothes (aside from running and yoga tights) - I have a very low tolerance when it comes to stuff like that.
    I know how depressing it is to cancel races - putting all my Valencia stuff away wasn't fun. But sometimes we just have to take the longer view and be sensible. :(
    Surfaces today were pavement - nothing I don't normally deal with. I think it's just the results of a long, hard year of running. I'm going to take myself off to Yin Yoga which I've not done for a long while and hope that eases me a bit.
  • Options
    Blimey Shades, those jeans sound tight.. did you manage to eat your Christmas meal with them on?!
    That's a shame about your race, but as you said, you don't want to be going into winter with an injury (said with feeling  :#)

Same for you Cal.. a real shame about Valencia but no question about it, absolutely the right decision. Next time. That long run sounds fab, really interesting. I can't hear the word "Peckham" without thinking of Del and Rodney. Am quite jealous really, my long runs are (were) very boring in comparison.

Well done for slogging on through that trail marathon Big G. I guess with all the races you do you are bound to get a couple of difficult ones in there.

Ian and Rob - Glad to hear your injuries are getting better.

Nothing running related to report here I'm afraid. I thought my PF semed to be healing so went out and did an 8k and a 15k forest run last weekend and although fine when running was back to a hobble afterwards. It's so frustrating. I've bought some insoles off Amazon for 5€ and have worn them since Tuesday and haven't run all week so we'll see if that makes a difference. To be honest I think it's just a case of resting and waiting until it heals itself. Have done 6k *gasp* this morning so will see how that pans out. Annoying as I can just see my hard won fitness flying out of the window and there's bugger all I can do about it. I really want to enter some races too but I'm too scared to just in case this turns into a major long term injury that will strike me down for the whole of the year  :/

On positive note only one week left in school before the holidays thank God. Just the school Christmas dinner to get through  :#  

• Options
    Big G hope today has gone well, if the weather is like here it should have been okay.

Shades it was our clubs shindig last night too but as I've not been active within the club for a few months I swerved it.  DNS is probably the most sensible option you'll feel better about it when back up and running.

Cal nice long run, have you got any races planned?

Steven I'm glad I went running today rather than yesterday! 

Ian well done on the 3x50 mile weeks.

mamafox, sorry to hear of your PF woes, it's different for everyone, I hope I'm lucky, caught it eary and had shockwave treatment to rid it, my OH has had it for two years, started running again recently and having problems so may try the steroid injection

Missed an opportunity to run our local parkrun with 3 Olympians, Andy Baddeley (parkrun record holder) Paul Pollock (who holds our course record) and Kevin Seaward.  Instead I was sat in a carpark in stevenage waiting for the shops to open to get last few bits for xmas and beat the crowds.  I was bloody knackered by the end but not as knackered as our car was with all the weight.

Lovely day for a run earlier... managed 7 miles, last mile felt tiring but also managed to include a bit of a hill to test the glute and hip and seemed to be okay. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Shades, sorry to hear about the niggle.   Sound like the right decision though.  I think the two parkruns idea will be dependent on sleep - although I'm not drinking I expect it'll still be a late night.  It's definitely an idea though!

MF, yeah I was thinking about that on the way home.  I suppose the more events a person does, the more likely they are to have a shocker.  That's what I told myself, anyway ;)   Sorry to hear about your PF still being there.  Let's hope the insoles help.

Plym Trail Marathon for me today, for what was my 31st and last marathon of the year.  After Thursday's event, I just wanted an enjoyable/comfortable run and get a Sub-4 in the bag.  Those were the main goals really.

I got there in plenty of time and there was quite a large group of Trotters there today - I think probably the biggest team we've had at this event.  A couple of the fast guys were there, and so both the Half and full were won by Trotters (results aren't out, but the winner went under 3hrs).

I know I've talked about this course quite a bit in the past, but it's a deceptive one.  Following about a 1.5 mile section, it's then two out-and-backs, with the out mainly downhill and the return leg mainly uphill.  Nothing steep but you certainly know about it, especially on the 2nd lap.

Fortunately the race started in the dry, and I got into my stride pretty well, determined to take it relatively easy on the first outward leg and I was running well within myself.  At the turnaround I grabbed a drink and then made my way back up, and was feeling pretty good, going through Half marathon in around 1:50-ish.

Unfortunately at around this point, it absolutely chucked it down with rain, and with a wind it got pretty cold, with also some hail thrown in for good measure.  I wondered whether to stop and get a coat at the turnaround point, but I saw the guys in front of me hadn't, so I just carried on too.  However, as it's basically 6 miles down the hill, honestly I was beginning to think some negative thoughts about half way down - i.e., "if I get injured now and have to walk, I could be in a bit of trouble with the cold here".  It was cold, but in a strange way that kept me going; that second downhill section in the heavy rain was quick for me, with a smattering of sub-8min/miles in there so by far my quickest section of the race.  I got to the turnaround point again and fortunately the rain began to ease.  I got there (20-miles) in around 2:45 so I knew the sub-4 was in the bag, and I was hoping for sub-3:45, although I thought that may be a struggle as I knew from previous races that second uphill section can be a toughie for me.

The rain was still falling, but fortunately nowhere near as heavy, and I got up the return leg as best I could although there were some slow miles in there (the last 3 were 9:49, 10:30, 10:40, so not great!), and I eventually crossed the line in 3:45:35.  I'm actually pretty happy with especially after Thursday's event, which didn't go well at all.  If it hadn't been for the heavy rain, I'd have enjoyed this event but the rain did put a downer on it I suppose - as I said, I was a bit worried about the cold at one point.

At the finish I was talking to the winner of the marathon and he said the same as me - he felt he was just on the edge of being too cold, and was worried about if he had an issue.  He was only running in a vest though....

So that's it; more-or-less the end of my running year (I may get a 10k in on Boxing Day, but I'll see).  I've enjoyed the year with some great high points (a PB, Dartmoor Discovery, Loch Ness, my 50th in Bruges, comfortable sub-4s as part of a double etc) and a few low points too (Liverpool where I just had a shocker, Cream Team Caper where I seriously considered DNFing even though I wasn't injured, Thursday's event).  At times I've wondered if I've been on the verge of doing too much, but the 3:20 the other week at San Sebastien has put my mind at rest a bit in that regard.  I am still a bit frustrated that my times are all over the place (even today was 25mins slower than San Sebastien), but maybe that's just the way it is for me.  I know I can't race them all, but sub-4 is fairly assured for me these days (even 3:45-ish happens much more often than last year), so that's a positive.

As well as the marathons, finally getting a sub-20 5k was a big thing for me this year too.  I've been chasing that for a couple of years and I was pleased that I managed to squeeze that in between marathons.  For me to do that was up there with my first sub-4 for me.

I've got a similarly-busy year planned next year (obviously dependent on injuries etc), so I am looking forward to it.  I am also looking forward to a bit of a break though; I am tired, so a break will hopefully do me good.  Note to self: try not to eat too much over the next few weeks!
  • Options
    Well done Big G, 32 marathons in a year is some going!  Seems a tad unlucky with the weather.  I'm planning a double parkrun on NYD too, prob no hangover but will be a late night.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I live in lycra 90% of the time. Jeans are comfy to wear once on it's only tricky putting them on as tight on calf and ankle area.

I guess we're all a bit jaded at the end of the year.

Mamafox - I ate loads last night, my favourite roast turkey, plenty of Lycra in my jeans.

What's on the menu for the Christmas dinner at the school?

Sorry to hear the PF is still troubling you but it doesn't usually go that quickly so don't despair and just run when you can.

Robert- that's not really a reason to skip your club Xmas do. I never train with my club but still went to our do. You could have shown them your swimming on the dance floor 😉

Paul Pollock, isn't he the Irish marathon runner? Guess he must be working nearby, think he's an A & E doctor. 

Congrats on finishing the Xmas shopping, that's a major achievement. Good run too.

Big G - that's a very good run from you today on that course.  Must have been cold in that weather, although it's sheltered it's still on the edge of the moors. 
    A good end to a good running year for you.
  • Options
    Excellent result, Big G - that sounds like a tough race. You did well.
    Rob, next race is Hampton Court half in February, although I might do a 10K or something in Jan. Rather depends on injuries and whatnot.
    Speaking of which...the Yin eased a lot of my aches but we spent an ungodly amount of time in sleeping swan (aka pigeon pose) and my groin's been aching since then. Not great. I doubt it will affect my running but it's not exactly comfortable.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Excuse my poking my nose in.......

Shades - re your comment about no more racing until Feb. Do you multimarathoners now have downtime or do you get the miles in like a typical single marathon campaign. I kind of envisage you folks as having downtime now and using your racing calendar of Feb thru November as training for the racing, both at the same time.
  • Options
    Shades unsure why Paul Pollock was there but I know there was a sky documentary happening at Parkrun, Paul Pollock holds the course record from a visit in 2015.

Did feel bad using that as an excuse, but haven't been at the club to get tickets but hope to get more involved next year.

TR, the last four years I've ran 3-7 marathons a year, my running year is Jan-March big training ready to peak for a Spring mararthon, then continue with high milegage whilst racing anything else till November then back off and have an easy couple of months before it all starts again.

someone at our club (guy who organises the records and club championships) we have a vote as to chip time vs gun to mat time for club records and was a huge 93/7% in favour of the chip time for records.

There are 48 joggers at Buntingford 10 (which I was until the injury) and have been told as its gun time only, no records can be set? surely if gun is the only time and a record is achieved that can be used?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad the Yin helped. I miss doing Yin but it was niggling my knee.  I find pigeon pose quite uncomfortable.

TR - my race in February is a half. March I have a 20 miler followed by a half then a 40 mile race. So for me the winter is a key training period and I will be cranking the  training mileage up as high as I can.

Robert  - well I'm glad the vote was so decisive but to not accept records on gun time is completely bonkers. If there's no chip timing then the official results are the manually recorded times.  The only time you wouldn't accept manual results is if the course didn't have a course measurement certificate, such as a fun run.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks to you both. So a pretty normal build up from New Year onwards then. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - yes, there's no peace for the wicked.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Better off the sofa than on it !

I usually only do a spring marathon, but after 2 or 3 compromised years, i finished my first mara since spring 2015 at Abo recently and im hoping to do a whopping 3 mara's myself next year (brighton, yeovil and Abo), small potatoes to you lot though.
  • Options
    I'm a more moderate marathoner also, TR - 1 (my first) in 2016, 2 in 2017 and 3 this year (should have been 4 but I got a cold before the last one and cancelled). I'm more interested in times than racking up numbers so I focus fully on a couple of races.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    TR - every marathon is still a challenge.   Your 3 for next year are nicely spread out.
    Lots of runners do just one marathon a year, we each have our own goals and targets.

Calf feels a lot better today, should be able to run tomorrow.  Have cancelled Yogalates too as the balancing is quite tough on the calf muscles and I want to get rid of this niggle.   
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    TR, I’ve done a few events this year and last, but I still try and target some for a quicker time.  Sub-3:30 is a good time for me and I’ve managed that at a small number of events, where things have just come together on the day (weather conditions, course, if I was feeling good, etc).  When I got my PB in Feb this year, it did coincide with some decent training mileage in the run up to the event.  It is possible to do multiple marathons and still get good times at certain events - a few in my club do it quite often.  I'm not sure if (m)any of them follow a training plan as such though; I know a couple in my club target a particular race (our own Dartmoor Discovery) to do well in, and do marathons in the early part of the year to build up to that.  It is possible to have an eye on the numbers and still do good times at certain events.

Shades, I realised that yesterday's was a small course best, which I hadn't realised when I was out on the course.  So that was a bonus.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - a course best at Plym Trail is a very good result indeed.

I'm very pleased to see that Geraint Thomas won SPOTY, very well deserved.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I voted for Thomas but I really didn’t think he’d win. Really pleased he won though, but it highlights the fact that the public hasn’t really taken to Froome. Somehow I think Thomas just comes across as a regular guy which makes him very likeable.  I used to be an F1 fan although I’ve lost interest the last few years, but I’m glad Hamilton didn’t win it.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens at Team Sky when Sky pulls out at the end of 2019. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well unfortunately that rogue press release re Froome's asthma meds was released, probably deliberately, a year ago to spoil his SPOTY chances. 

Dina AS was on the list of finalists but her chance will come later on, still a lot for her to do yet.

Yes, will be interesting about Sky.  But it happens all the time in cycling that sponsors pull out of the sport, that's why there are so many different/new team names.   I think it was the Vuelta, or was it ToB, this year and a team sponsor pulled out day before the race so the team couldn't take part and the team were disbanded.