Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian- that's some amount of steps, bet your glad your now off after such a busy time. I'm not so lucky I'm working night shifts from tonight until Friday morning so not ideal.

Got out for 6 miles today there was some frost today which made some parts very slippy so had to take care.

Would like to wish all shadies a very Merry Christmas and hope you all have a great day whatever you are doing.
  • Merry Christmas folks ..hope you have a joyous day and stay safe.. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Christmas everyone :):):):):) 

Ian - 10-15 seconds per mile at your pace is a significant improvement, great running.

steven - hope work isn't too bad and you only have to deal with good natured tomfoolery over the festive period.

8 miles for me today, had a fab run, hardly a car in sight and a few dog walkers, we were all wishing each other Merry Xmas.  Perfect running weather, very mild and no wind.

Looking forward to my turkey lunch. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Happy Xmas everyone. 

Ian, great running by you. You’ve some great times coming next year I reckon. 

Steven, hopefully the festive period at work is relatively uneventful...

Enjoy your lunch Shades. Don’t eat too much ;)

I didn’t run yesterday but felt slightly better today, so just went for a slow 3-miles before it all starts getting busier around here. OH’s sister and kids are arriving a bit later, and cooking has already started. I’ve been asked to do a starter of sorts so I got off lightly as I’m just doing a grilled goats’ cheese salad - easy!
  • Happy Christmas! Well done everyone who has got out today.
    I did South Manchester parkrun - a bit of 2 miles job there, and then back again, so 7 miles total. Lots of runners today and lots of costumes, including some ladies dressed as presents (two of the ladies had put themselves in one box which can't have been easy to run with) and dogs with Christmas jumpers and antlers. I did a decent time, 25:29, which I'm quite happy with, although I was only 5th in my age group as apparently they have some fast vets here. The guy who came first finished in 16:01 which must have annoyed him as his PB was 16:00. Bet he's dying to get into the 15s.
    Also went to Sale Water Park with Colin for a walk so covered about 3 miles there. Not a bad day's activities.
  • Happy Christmas shadies!

Hope everyone enjoyed their day?!?

Parkrun was a good way to burn a few calories! 24.20ish but main thing was fastest since injury and didn’t feel too strained.

suitably stuffed with just cheese and port to go!!! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone has had a merry Christmas and a good day.
    No running for me today,but back at it tomorrow,just have pushed myself hard yesterday as I've given myself a bit of doms in the quads.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Big G - you're definitely one of the family now that you're helping out with the cooking.  Do the Dutch have a traditional meal for Christmas Day?

Cal - didn't realise you were heading up north for Christmas.   Amazing the effort some folk make for fancy dress.

Robert - well done on your best parkrun since your injury.

Ian - well you were running at race pace and for 13.1 miles, so a little discomfort after is not too surprising.

Big_G said:

Enjoy your lunch Shades. Don’t eat too much  ;)

Too late, I ate loads, was good though but did eat far too much.  :'(

Felt quite lardy this morning and have put on 2 pounds, surprised it wasn't more with the amount I ate. ;)  Ran 7 miles, lovely running weather again and not much traffic.   Felt lardy during my run and definitely a decline in appetite this morning, should get rid of the 2 pounds in one or two days, so no damage done.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, they don’t really do what we’d call a ‘traditional’ Xmas meal as they just seem to cook things they’d like. The main meal was slow roasted duck with veg, and the kids made the pudding which was pancake cake :) Also there was lots of cheese on offer all day :)

No running (or racing) for me today :( My cold has properly developed now, so can’t run unfortunately. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Big G - sounds like a lovely meal.   I've always just cooked what I like at Xmas and again at New Year, something special, growing up my Mum did the same and we'd have a different menu each year.   

But when I started in my last (final) job we were given a turkey at Xmas every year and I realised that cooked well I love turkey, in fact I could eat it every day.  Unfortunately can't buy it all year round so make the most of it at this time of year.   I'm already on my 2nd turkey, I had one end of November and I will probably buy one next week if there are any left in the supermarket!  I don't have a big enough freezer to keep a stock of turkeys to last me all year though :(

Bad luck about the cold, hope it clears soon
  • Morning folks. Hope you all survived yesterday with minimal suffering.. I had a fantastic day and enjoyed everything with no regrets. .we got lunch with my OH's family and I'm hoping get out later and teeming my legs how to work ready for my marathon on Friday. Possibly looking at running a new years day marathon in Dymchurch but it will be a last minute entry..
  • Well done Rob. And hope you feel better soon, Big G.
    I ate rather a lot of sprouts and Christmas pud yesterday - a bit of a deadly combo - so I had rather an uncomfortable night. But I got an 8 mile run done today which should help to offset some of the calories. Achilles rather grumpy, though. I'll have to ramp up the calf exercises once I'm home.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I know that lardy feeling,ate a lot yesterday so went out for 10 miles this morning,still got aches in my quads but not enough to affect the run.Perfect morning,nice weather,lots of people out in good moods and very few cars on the road.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - I didn't post the marathon list today as there weren't any more listed for 2018. Which race are you doing?

Cal - Xmas pud and lots of sprouts must have been a challenge to the digestion. I love veg but not sprouts. Xmas pud is like a sedative to me, I just want to sleep after eating it.

Ian - the eating is so enjoyable but the lardy feeling isn't, much smaller portions for me today.
    I think we have to make the most of the good running weather while we can, we've still got January and February to get through.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hello Shadies, hope you've all had a good Christmas, great to see you're all clocking the miles up. I've been lurking from the bench but have not posted as absolutely nothing to report and am wallowing in self pity.

My PF is no worse but no better. I'm pottering round the forest a couple of times a week but cannot do any more as I'm scared it might make things worse. With me, a good run often depends on what sort of mind state I'm in so I think that's not helping either. I'm not sure whether I should be running so I've got the brakes on before I start so to speak. Things haven't been helped by picking up a head cold which has dragged on (absolutely no voice whatsoever for two days) and maybe that's been the cause of sky high HR when I have attempted a short run. It really is a rubbish time to have an injury too.. I am bristling with new calendars, diaries, race info etc but can't bring myself to plan anything in as I have a horrible feeling that this could drag on for some time.
    My Amazon insoles seem to relieve things a bit and I am half heartedly stretching but I think it's just a case of resting it out. I haven't yet been to see a physio as I don't think that would help with anything but I might, only for the reason that if they tell me to do stretching then I might do it because I'll have paid for the advice and it might make me a bit more committed to following a routine. 

Regarding your last question Shades, I did duck for the school Christmas lunch and it was a bloody nightmare. We had more people than usual and I underestimated the space the duck would take up in the oven and also the time it would take to cook. I ended up layering it and having to take it all out every 20 minutes or so to change all the layers round so everything would cook. I then had to do potatoes etc on the hob part as couldn't use the oven as the freaking duck was still in there. Everybody got fed in the end but I had to go and lie down in a darkened room for some time afterwards.
    School holidays now thank GOD.

Anyway, hope I haven't put a downer on the thread but am enjoying reading your posts and looking forward to hearing about everyone's goals for 2019!
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018

Shades/ Cal/Ian well done for getting the 7/8/10 miles done yesterday!  I considered it but as not in full training decided to give it a miss.

Big G Hope you're feeling better, rubbish time to be feeling under the weather.  Xmas dinner sounds lovely except I can't bring myself to eat duck (or rabbit) purely because of their cuteness.

MF, no point paying for the advice you already know. It's difficult to stay focused this time of year, I've neglected all my stretching this last week and need to get back onto it. 

Yesterday was another food day! Still got a mountain of cheese to work my way through, still got a few more days to eat it.

Today back to work, it's very quiet which I'm glad as not in any frame of mind to do any work.

Did anyone get any running related presents? 

£100 sportsshoes.com voucher

Garmin Forerunner 235

Asics Roadhawk shoes

chest running light

I have entered the ballot for Ride London 100 miles, I have no interest in cycling and don't own a road bike but may consider it if I get a place.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - that was a stressful meal to cook for the Christmas dinner at the school, but you did it.  I bet it was gorgeous too.

That's sort of good news about your PF that it's no worse.  Run as much as you can without discomfort but with PF the foot exercises are a crucial part of the recovery and should be done several times a day.  But most of the exercises you can do when sitting, watching telly (if you ever get time), eating or just sitting having a coffee.  They will be come 2nd nature in a very short time.

Rest day for me today.   Did pop out for some milk and came back with prawns, minced beef, bread and 2 bras, all at bargain prices :)
  • Back from Manchester. I haven't dared get on the scales yet. I intend to have a little walk in a bit though.
    Robert - sounds like a good haul!
    My friend Colin got me a few things. He went onto Runner's World to look for suggestions. I ended up with a box of SiS gels (good, since I already use SiS), some Maurten drink mix which I'm quite excited to try (if it's good enough for Kipchoge...) and, hilariously, some NipEAZE. I explained to him that those were for fellas.  :D I don't think they'd actually cover my lady-sized nips in any case. But if anyone wants to try them, let me know!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-Well done on the school meal,great effort getting it done.
    Rob-Few nice presents there.
    Cal-Its the thought that counts off Colin  :)
    Usual after work run today,with the added bonus of realising this is now my highest mileage month this year,it could end up being the highest since august 17 which will be great if I can do it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that’s a good lot of pressies there. I run road marathons in the Roadhawks - I really like them.

Cal, it’s the thought that counts :) I’ll try those things, if they’re still available.

MF, sorry to hear you’re still struggling with the PF :( But well done for getting the meal done.

I got a pair of Asics 2000, a running/tri mag and some reflective lights that go around the arms.

Absolute nightmare journey today. 16hrs door-to-door. The Holland/Belgium/France and ferry part of the journey were ok and on time, but the trip from Dover back to Devon took 8hrs, a journey that can under 5hrs. I’ve never seen so much traffic on the A303. Back now though...phew!
  • Big G, PM me your address and I'll post 'em to you some time next week.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I'm very fond of cute rabbits and ducks too, but have no qualms eating them.  Hard to find rabbit now, think buying from a butcher or online is the only option.  Don't know anyone at the moment that shoots round here either.

That's a good haul of running presents.  I didn't get any running related presents.

Love the way you enter the ballot for Ride London, don't have a bike and not a keen cyclist, brilliant.

Cal - ha, ha, that is so funny, but great that Colin was buying what he thought was such a considerate present for you.

Ian - considering how busy you are at work in December that's great news on the mileage for the month.

Big G - that is a very long trip home, especially the UK stretch.  The A303 can be a nightmare.   Not unusual on that journey unfortunately.

Have woken with a scratchy throat and slightly raised RHR, so have decided to rest today just in case I'm getting a cold.   We have very heavy frost here today so I didn't take long to persuade myself not to run. 
  • I hope everyone's ailments bugger off soon! (That includes my own, of course).
    Woke early so out for 6 miles in the dark. Achilles grumbled the whole way. Other than that, it was an OK run. Not cold here, fortunately.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Shades - I'm off work so plenty of time to sort out a proper stretching routine. There's just a little voice in the back of my mind saying "I bet this is a complete waste of time" and as I hate stretching with a vengeance and have zero motivation to doing it, the thought that it might be making no difference anyway means that it's not getting done. 
    You are right though, from all the wildly conflicting info I've picked up about PF, the advice on stretching does seem to be pretty constant. Will make a bit more effort. I'm also wondering if I need to change shoes. I'm not sure if my Hokas have actually contributed to the injury, being that much flatter. I did most of my training in them - my original pair which are ancient now but still ok, and another pair which are about a year or so old but still seem fine, plus a reasonably new pair of Nike Structures. For my pottering now I'm just using any of the three with my insoles in. Also wondering why the injury happened in the first place.. as if I don't know what caused it how can I stop it happening again?!

Your shopping trip sounds exactly like my experiences at Lidl.. I whizz in to pick up some cheese or something and stagger out laden with camping equipment  :|
    Hope your cold turns into nothing.. internet race planning today then?!

Robert - Really hoping you get a place in that ballot B)

Ian - That's brilliant getting such a high mileage month in for December.. how does your yearly mileage compare with last year?

Cal - Love the present  :D

Big G - That sounds like a nightmare drive. If Cal does send you on her present, maybe it would be an idea to warn your OH in advance just in case she gets to the post before you do..!

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Cal, I've just messaged you.

Ian, that's great regarding the high mileage, especially with the high work load in the lead up to Xmas.

Shades, it's cold out there - I had to get up early to go and get some milk for my coffee.  I love my coffee and I know you're keen too;  one of my Xmas presents was one of those 3-cup espresso makers that you put on a hob.  It makes decent coffee, so in theory I've now got 5 ways to make coffee at home...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - your grumbling achilles is dragging on, you've had it quite a while now.

mamafox - PF is very common in runners and non runners, some folk are more prone to it than others.  Re prevention, comfortable well fitting shoes and those stretches that you're avoiding is the best you can do.   I think folk with flatter feet can be more susceptible to PF.

It's not a full body routine that you need to do just a few for your feet and calf muscles, and do them with both feet as you don't want PF in both feet. 

All my 2019 races are sorted, most of them I've entered, the others aren't open yet.  Flights and hotels all booked, I only have a hire car to book and nothing else to do until nearer race dates, airport parking etc., bus ticket.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost as I started typing then wandered off for coffee.

5 ways to make coffee, you must be a fully trained barista now :)  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Strava are doing their yearly review video, and it's told me I've done 324hrs of running, which really doesn't seem that much.  I.E. less than an hour a day, on average.  Put that like that, it doesn't seem much at all, but I've done over 2000 miles although I suppose that's skewed by the 31 marathons.

It has been a good year, but not a 10/10 for me as I haven't got the balance of training and running multiple events quite right.  I know I've mentioned it before (just a few times, and i'm probably sounding like a broken record!) but I'm often too tired to do much in the week between events.  Not sure what I can do about that really except not do as many event... ;) 

If anyone's interested, the video they produce is here (I don't think you need to be a member of Strava to view the video):
    https://2018.strava.com/en-gb/video/baf54585f50d14fd10643f53753ec16b7c639244
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I wasn’t sure whether to go, but I went out for a 6-mile social run with the Trotters this morning. There was a 10-miler as well but I just fancied an easy paced run and it ended up averaging 11s, which was fine for me following my cold and the travel day yesterday. Quite hilly, some road, some off-road so a bit of everything, and then the host provided a lovely chilli, lasagne, rice and cakes (and coffee...) at the finish, so all in all I’m glad I went. Across the two groups I think 26 made it, so a decent turn out too. 
  • Well done for getting out. Sounds like you were well catered for!
    Your gift is in the post. I sent it 2nd class so you'll probably get it next week.