Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Hi Shadies

Big G - I think that's a really good time all considered.

Cal - Great long run.. been ages since I've done one of those and I'm actually missing my Sunday mornings pounding round the countryside. Never thought I'd say that  :/ Good to hear that the extra walking seems to be helping too.

Steve - Congrats on the marriage plans.. lovely news  :)

Ian - Wildly jealous of you doing New York, that's really something to look forward to. I did Camp America when I was 18 and spent the summer teaching children to ride on a camp in Pennsylvania. After that I bought an open Greyhound bus ticket and travelled down the east coast to Miami and back up to New York, stopping along the way. On the way back there was a problem with the bus which involved changing drivers, our driver had never been to New York before and ended up getting hopelessly lost and going round and round in circles right in the centre of the city. It ended up with all us passengers crowded round him yelling out suggestions as to where the bus station could be found. It was very, very funny and a memory which will stay with me for ever.

Rob - Do you think that shock therapy has made any difference to your PF?

Shades - That sounds like an idyllic run this morning. Is that a famous castle near you?

As for me, well absolutely nothing to say. I went out for a run last Monday in my hours break from work and ended up walking most of it as my foot hurt so much I was limping  :( As a result I didn't run all week. Went out for a 5km potter in the forest this morning which was sort of ok but foot still sore. I am stretching etc but it's not making a blind bit of difference. Think it's just going to be rest and time that sorts it out but it really is soul destroying. And I am getting fatter :# . OH is going to repair my bike as I've really got to start doing something. Toying with the idea of going to see a physio, can't make things worse and I think the first visit is free.

Other news is that the school cook is coming back to work this week. She's had her request for long term sick refused so she hasn't got any choice. For the rest of January I am going to be working alongside her and then from Feb she is on her own. I saw her on Friday and she doesn't want to come back to work at all.. she has got a right gob on her so this is going to be fun!

On a positive note(!), someone has given me a golf ball so I can try some foot rolling exercises with that.

Tomorrow  B)
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I'm sure you're right, sitting around too long just makes us stiff and sore.  But it's so easy, especially after a long run,  to congratulate ourselves on the miles run and promptly put our feet up for the rest of the day.  I try and make myself get up and do something every 30 mins but I forget frequently.

Steven - sounds like you had a good run too. It's fun exploring new routes as long as you don't get too lost. Hope the knee is OK.

Mamafox - what exciting adventures you've had in the US.

I don't think Compton Castle is that famous. I just googled it and it's a fortified manor house from 1400's, some connection with Walter Raleigh's half brother. I believe it has the reputation of being haunted.  You must have loads of castles where you are.

So sorry to hear your PF is no better. Maybe when you're back to your old job and less time on your feet that will aid recovery.
    Surely the cook won't stay in the job if she doesn't want to be there, or is she hanging on for her pension?

• Options
    mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - Just googled Compton castle myself.. lovely castle and very interesting reading about it too.
    Yes, hopefully less time on my feet will help things, definitely think that has added to the problem. The one thing that has given some relief is those insoles that the link you put up suggested, they really do make a difference.
    Regarding the cook, yes, she is just staying on for her pension. She is coming back part time (but being paid full time) for three months then that will be reviewed. However, she has plenty of "issues" which, in my book,  have not been resolved so I can't see her being happy with staying in work. I'll just take whatever hours they'll give me for the moment, try and see the end of the school year out and then maybe have a look around for something else.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just reading back a bit.  Shades, I fairly often do a route via Compton Castle.  From my place, I've got a 10-miler that goes up there, up to the main road, under the underpass, down through Cockington, Edginswell and back to my place. 

MF, sorry to hear about your running not going well.  I can imagine it's very depressing :(  I hope it all works out with the cook and job.

Steven, sounds like you had a good run.  Hopefully the knee is okay too.

Cal, thanks.  Maybe it did slow me down a bit.  I do have an idea of doing a proper road 10k around Easter, so if I get to that one it will give me a better idea.  I think I was just hoping to get the year off to a good start.

The thing is, a bad race like this often then makes me question if I'm doing the right things in my training!  I know not every race can be a PB, but I was hoping I'd have got a better time today, as I say.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - well if the cook only lasts for 3 months that gives you  a good chance to get rid of that pesky PF.

Big G - I ran from Edginswell to Kerswell then up Huxnor Road then turned right to go through North Whilborough then onto Compton  and turned down Love Lane ran through Marldon and back to Kerswell the same way and back home through Decoy. Good runnable hills.

I think it's a bit early in the year to question your training.  See how you do at the 5 mile race first.  Do you do tempo runs?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't really do tempo runs.  Basically, the vast majority of my running is easy except for the occasional parkrun or the occasional Trotters interval session, and of course the marathons.  Based on a 3:20 marathon, what would you recommend for a tempo run in terms of pace, and how often?  I think my tempo pace (based on a 3:20 marathon) is probably 7:20 min/mile, so maybe 4 or 5-miles at tempo pace, one a week (plus a couple of miles warmup and cool down)?

I was thinking just the other day that none of my training is really massively faster than 5k pace and I was wondering whether to introduce a shorter/sharper session.  But, when I've done that in the past, I have got injured so I am quite reluctant to introduce that really.  But I know if I can get quicker at the say 400m reps, 5k pace can then seem comfortable for a mile or so.  I do quite enjoy the 45-sec efforts, but on the rare occasions I do those I find it better to do them on my own as if I do them with the club I find that is where the injuries seem to happen.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It will be interesting to see how I do there,see if all the hill work has helped.
    Mama-great adventures in USA,I'm really looking forward to the trip.
    Big G-I'd be wary about changing your training because if today,esp as speedier work has caused you injuries in the past.I don't think I've ran a single effort quicker than 10k pace,never mind 5k,in the last 18 months yet both times have dropped a lot.
    I have a 10k in March that a lot from my company are doing so I'm hoping to be sharp then,but probably won't do any speed work as that has injured me also in the past.
  • Options
    Hello Shades. I'm in a bit of trouble here, all through my own stupidity. I am doing Paris on April 14th. While I have been running reasonably slowly (probably not QUIT slow enough) I've definitely ramped up mileage too quickly. I also started training way too late for this. 

I started running again at the beginning of Nov and have been ramping my mileage with slow runs totalling the following miles per week: 5, 10, 20, 17, 30, 35, and 30 miles. My longest runs only every got to 12 miles. I was going for more runs rather than longer runs. I then got a cold and was out two weeks, ran 16 miles during the following week and got an injury (pulled calf). So, I've been out again for 2 weeks! 4 weeks lost and not much time to go.

The injury is totally gone. I did a few turbo trainer (indoor cycling) sessions while injured as they did not aggravate the injury at all. I did 10 miles this week (2 runs). I was wondering if the following looks like an ok plan to prep for Paris? At this point I'm just looking to complete it in one piece - not going for a 'time' as such although 4:30 would be nice. Please note dates are in American format (Month/Day/Year)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - based on your 10k time yesterday I've calculated your tempo pace  at 7:00 to 7:20 min/miles.  A mile warm up and a mile cool down and distance of tempo pace is up to how you're feeling on the day, but as you say 4-5 miles is perfect.  They are good training for holding a faster pace during a race, and they shouldn't feel too hard in training as slower than your 10k pace.

Ian - I'm counting on all that hill work having done wonders for you.  If not how am I going to persuade anyone else to train over the hills ;) 

Khanivore - welcome back, I was wondering what was happening to your training..... ;) 
    Good to hear you've recovered from your injury, as long as you stick to your training and be careful when you're skiing you should be fine for Paris.   Re your plan the only part that looks a bit tough is coming back from skiing and then having 4 weeks of long runs without a cutback week, so I think you need to assess your level of tiredness during this period and maybe drop the long run on week 25/02 back to 10 miles.

6 miles for me this morning, cold but not frosty and no wind.   Halfway through my run I turned up a straight street I had a lovely view of the moon and it was amazing, could see with the naked eye that it was 3D, thought must look that moon up when I got home, and it's a Wolf Blood moon lunar eclipse, it was past the red stage when I saw it but so so beautiful.
  • Options
    Big G - The mud will have slowed you down at the 10k. I'd maybe build up to the 5 mile tempo run, maybe start at 2 or 3 miles to start to see how it goes? I always find 5 miles around HM pace to be tough in training, but I know others find it OK.
    MF - hope the golf ball helps with the PF.
    Shades - Not sure how hard the ballot is for Tokyo, but I know the time qualifiers are tough to meet. We looked at the majors once we were doing NY, but realised it was a very expensive thing to do!
    Cal - Nice 20 miler.
    18 miler on Saturday, but struggled and never really felt comfortable, but my longest run in a while, probably since May. 90 minutes (24 miles) on the bike on Sunday followed by a 7 mile run in the Nikes, chucked in a LT mile at the end to finish off (6:32) a 50 mile week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Steve - it will cost less money to get married than go to do even just one of the majors ;) 

It's not easy getting back into the long runs again, hopefully that was just one bad run.

Are you happy with the Nikes?

As I'm now on Sports Direct email list :o having just ordered a pair of shoes from them, their first email to me says that up to 90% of Skechers, for those of you that were talking about Skechers shoes, ends 6pm tonight.

Lovely Yogalates class, I'm all stretched after a week's running. 
  • Options

Big G a race is a great leveler to know where you are, the mud will play a part have you looked at your pace if it drops in the muddy section? It could also be more that you had to work harder when out fo the mud each time takes it's toll, also the lack of sleep the other night could also be a factor plus it wasn't a proper measured course anyhow ;-)

Steve well done one the long run

Cal, I keep on saying I'll do Ally Pally, the only occasion I've woke up and considered it the trains were cancelled.  If you enjoyed the hills you'll love

Steven hope there's nowt serious with the knee! Always good to mix up routes even just taking a different turn can change a run.

Mamafox, glad you got the golf ball, in terms of the shockwave it hasn't done anything for me, however I have spoken to people who have.  Try to stay positive, there is no time on this injury and no guarantees but eating your way into depression isn't the way to go.  I've started back trying to lose a few lbs.

Shades Elle's not really running due to PF, just looked at her stats 561 miles in 2016 (when she did London Marathon), 307 in 2017 and just 114 miles last year.

Not a great weekend for me, went for 7 steady miles yesterday, Elle went out for a couple of miles and we're both limping round the house with PF issues!  Think I've got to cut a lot of the running out and try and get fit without the impact.

• Options
    Shades good luck, with Sports Direct email list, I lost the will to live the amount they used to send me!
  • Options
    Shades - Yes, the Nikes seem comfortable and they do seem to be fast shoes, unless that is just my mind playing tricks as my current Asics have over 400 miles on them now. I ran quicker than I expected, hence why I chucked in a faster mile at the end.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, really not great about the PF :(  As you imply, maybe a complete rest from running is needed?  I don't know, as I've never had PF.  You've left us on a cliff edge there with your comment to Cal - what parkrun will Cal love, I can't help but wonder.  :)  

Robert, yes, you're right that a race is a good leveller.  I've had decent starts to the year for the last couple of years or so, so yesterday was frustrating.  The annoying thing is that, apart from that section of mud, there's nothing I can really point to as I'm a reasonable weight and I had no niggles during the race.  Maybe it was just an off day, but something's telling me it wasn't that and maybe I'm just not as fit as I'd hoped.  I have a 5-miler in a couple of weeks, so I'll see how I get on then.  My 5-mile PB is quite good for me though so not sure if I'll PB at that one even if I was having a great race, so I'll just have to wait and see.  I haven't said this out loud to anyone so here is a first, but I was kind of wondering if I could get PBs at 5k, 10k, Half and Full this year, so to do relatively poorly at the first race of the year was disappointing.  There's still plenty of time though.

Shades, thanks.  Steve, thanks also.  If I introduce a tempo-type session, sounds like I may have to build it up from 3 miles or so then.

Ian, yeah, I definitely hear what you're saying.  The easy-pace training mileage has done well for me over the last couple of years and, generally speaking, the injuries have stayed away which I think is one of the main benefits of running easy.  When the marathons starting coming more quickly after Malta, I'm really not sure if I'll be able to do a tempo session mid week in any case.  It's just frustrating as only in November I did a marathon at 7:36-pace and yesterday only just crept under 7s for a 10k.

Not trying to over analyse things (he says, after spending time over-analysing things) but I wonder if I maybe went off say 10-15-secs too quickly yesterday, which may not have helped.  Splits were 6:40, 6:44, 6:54, 6:58, 7:08 and 7:12.  6:55 would have got me a PB.  Who knows?!

Anyway, on to the next race in a couple of weeks time.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-I think we forget sometimes just how far 18 miles is as we run so often,but it's an incredible distance on your comeback so well done.
    Shades-The hills have definitely benefited me,I'm hoping it serves me well this weekend.
    Rob-Bad news about the PF,hope it eases soon.
    Big G-My strava is set up in min/km,looking at your splits was the mud about where you turned back on yourself on the top end of the loop,as the 4k on that straight cost you nearly a minute compared to your other splits.
    6 easy after work today,boring course so I was sitting around a lot,but managed a very nice run,came out about 15 secs/mile quicker than usual easy and it felt easy,do I rein it back to my normal easy pace this week or just keep it at an easy effort even if it comes out fast again?

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yes, that's where the mud was.....  Thanks.  I think I'd be tempted to just run feeling easy, and if it ends up being a bit faster it's not an issue.  On the flip-side, if it ends up being a bit slower for whatever reason, it's not an issue either.  You're obviously running very well.

I'm about to head over to the club for a run.  Looking forward to it, so hopefully I'll have an enjoyable run and get on with the training this week.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - sorry to hear Elle is so hampered by PF, is she still getting treatment?   It's good for couples to have common interests but not so sure about sharing injuries ;) 

Second time I've ordered from Sports Direct, (last time was years ago) annoying that I have to pay a delivery charge even though I am collecting from their store, I dread to think what their courier delivery might be like.  I understand I do get a £5 voucher but we'll see if that's worth having.    Re emails can't be any worse than the company that I bought my mobile phone case from, they emailed me every single day, eventually managed to get that changed to once a month which is fine.

Steve - good to hear the new shoes feel fast.   It's good to have different brands/models to switch between, will help avoid injury

Big G - I know you're disappointed about Sunday's race but don't beat yourself up about it.  You felt OK on race morning but remember the rest of the week you didn't feel right and almost on the edge of coming down with a virus, so that could certainly have had an effect.   You still have 49 weeks to reach those 2019 goals :) 

Ian - that's a great run.   When are you travelling to GC?

6 miles today for me, very cold I thought it might be icy but thankfully it wasn't as we'd had a lot of rain yesterday.   Beautiful full moon on my run out, then clouded over and cold rain for the run home.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Big G - how about this for you?

They're going to have a free 12 week trial course at Dawlish LC, they're looking for inactive folk for the trial so that puts you out. 

How is the January plank challenge going?
  • Options
    KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SHADES said:

Khanivore - welcome back, I was wondering what was happening to your training..... ;) 
    Good to hear you've recovered from your injury, as long as you stick to your training and be careful when you're skiing you should be fine for Paris.   Re your plan the only part that looks a bit tough is coming back from skiing and then having 4 weeks of long runs without a cutback week, so I think you need to assess your level of tiredness during this period and maybe drop the long run on week 25/02 back to 10 miles.

Thanks Shades. I'll cut back the mileage on the week after skiing. If I do that and still only increase my weekly mileage 10% it means I'll probably only get one 20 mile run in .. and one 18 mile run. Is that ok in your opinion?

Well done on seeing the moon. I managed to completely miss it :)

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I guessed it would be just in effort but it's the usual taper second guessing of times etc.
    Shades-We leave Friday and not back until next Wednesday,really looking forward to a nice break.
  • Options
    Ian - you are running really well at the minute, so I'd just do your run at an easy pace. If it comes out a bit fast then so be it, the key is the effort level. Thanks, yeah I need to remember that I'm not at the level I was but I get frustrated knowing I used to do back to back long runs at the weekend!!
    Big G - Yeah definately build it up, that way you should avoid injuries. Tbh I've done just 2 miles at tempo pace before without building it up! I think it helps the legs get used to moving faster.
    8 miles easy today, legs felt fresh, so clearly OK after my bigger week of mileage.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that’s a good amount of time for a decent break.

Steve, maybe a parkrun would be good then. 2-miles of my local one is on tarmac so if I did that at 7s more regularly that would be something.

Shades, that looks good although Dawlish is a bit far I suppose. Hot off the press, but we’ve found a house and it’s looking fairly likely that we’ll complete in February (very much trying to get it done before Malta!!).  It’s in Paignton too so further from Dawlish. We found it around November time but I didn’t want to mention it until we were much further along the process this time. We’re trying not to get too excited until contracts are actually exchanged though, but everything is in place our side and survey done etc. I suggested 8th or 15th Feb for completion but they need more time. They suggested 22nd but we’re travelling to Malta so just trying to reach a date at the moment. Fortunately they’re not in a chain as such as they’re moving stuff into storage before they find somewhere else (staying with family in the meantime), so that’s good. 

I do a have a friend who does yoga on the paddle boards in the summer. Amazing really - she’s very good at it too.

Regarding the plank challenge, I didn’t manage yesterday’s in full, which was 3mins. I got to roughly 2:45 and I felt my form going wrong and the last thing I want is a back injury so I stopped. Maybe a bit cautious but as you know, I’ve had back problems in the past and I really don’t want that. I still have very bad memories of being flat on my back in a lot of pain for days one time - shudder. I will continue the challenge for the month but I’ll go back to 2:30 and just see if I can get to 3 by the end of the month. 5mins was always going to be tough for me I think. It’s a proper plan but it ramps up very sharply in the last 2 weeks. OH is still going strong though.

I went to the club last night and went in the B Group, which is advertised as 8:30-10:00 min/miles. It was a large group with plenty of looping back and I had a good run out, chatting to a few people. I averaged around 9:20 for 6.5 miles so I was glad I went.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore - I think you've done a marathon before on less than 1 x 18 and 1 x20 and got round. ;)   I don't want you to get injured again so that 4 week period after your holiday you need to assess how you're feeling and take the cutback week if you need it.

Ian - that will be a nice break in warmer weather, what's the forecast for Sunday? ….so you can make us all jealous.

Big G - it's a trial class, whether they'd roll it out at NA I don't know.  I think you'd have to join the leisure centre too, I can use NA, Teignmouth and Dawlish all on the same membership so it's good value.  Long trek from Paignton though so you'd be better now looking closer if you wanted to find something like that.   

Great news on the house.  No chain and the sellers are obviously keen for everything to go quickly and smoothly too.

Well done on the plank challenge, I couldn't do it for that long.   We did a bit of plank work today in Pilates, I'm crap at it and can barely hold it never mind lift my leg up too at the same time.   Usually we do more work in bridge pose than plank, I'm rubbish at that too.   Time stands still for me when we go into either of those poses.  If your form goes then you must stop as it's not of any benefit unless you can hold the posture.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    This challenge I'm doing doesn't include lifting legs....thankfully!!!  Unfortunately, I think OH has got a 30-day squat challenge in mind after this :(  

Just been out for a nice 10-miler.  I had my watch on but wasn't looking at the time.  I stopped a couple of times to take in the views etc, and walked a couple of big hills, but had a good run out.  I was starving when I got back though!

I was looking at the Trotters sessions tomorrow but nothing really appeals so the plan is to do about 7-miles on my own tomorrow, hopefully 10ish on Thursday, a shorter/recovery-type run on Friday, parkrun on Saturday (I'll decide nearer the time whether to "race it", do a tempo or just do it easy) and hopefully a slightly longer run on Sunday if I can get some Trotter company to go with.  That's all the plan, but if I feel tired or whatever, I'll reassess as I go through the week - maybe I'll drop Friday totally, but I'll see.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - we even did one part where we had to lift an arm, no chance, I couldn't do that.

Maybe you should join the Mavericks for training, they do intervals (round Brunel) on a Tuesday night and tempo run on a Thursday.   They run other nights too and often a longer run at the weekend.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-The missus does all that stuff,1 legged side planks and all kinds of daft exercises.
    Shades-It's not overly hot,about 21 I think so not too bad,bit of a wind at the minute so hopefully that will ease.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - this wasn't a side plank :'(   Not that I can do side planks well either.

21 should be OK, that's about what it was last year wasn't it?
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yeah it was so hopefully I'll be expecting it more.the wind picks up as the race goes on,if I picture the course right 14-16 will be behind us,then 16-18 against us,then the last 3 miles behind us so hopefully blowing a gale then.