Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• stevemac, nothing too wrong with the cross training, the low impact cycling wont do any harm now and again.

Shades, the more I think about the sleeper service the more I discard the idea.  I've got to remember I'm getting older and can't just perform on limited sleep.  Will see how the next couple of weeks go with PF and will book something if the train prices not gone up.

Ian, can't believe only 6 weeks to Manchester, glad I deferred my place as no chance making it.  Would the coach be National express, I've not looked at the offer so don't know any of the details https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-express-limited-1?cid=UK_AFF_5600_225_5383_1&utm_medium=afl&utm_campaign=206616&utm_source=GPN&sid=1720278412&mediaId=1379993&subs_group=afl

Big G hope you had a good trip despite the disappointment, good choice not running as it wouldn't make the medal count any extra.  Hope theres no trouble with the flights home.

Cal fingers crossed Brexit has little impact, I hope that the boarder controls don't make a thing of it just to be awkward. 

Yesterday did a kettlebell class and spin class, the foot is feeling stronger, planning an easy slow 3-4 mile run before a spin class tonight. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal/Shades, yes, I’m travelling on Brexit Day itself - a few hours before it kicks in officially!  I have to say I’m a bit worried about it and if I’d thought about it properly, I’d probably have gone a day or two earlier. I’m driving over via Dover which could be chaotic I suppose, but in some ways I’m glad I’m driving a few hours before Brexit rather than a few hours after.  As I’m driving in a UK-registered car (and presuming no deal) I think I need to get some kind of green card for the car, which hasn’t arrived yet. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Wouldnt worry about brexit,there's no way they will allow flights to stop as it is too disruptive and costly,delays at customs may be worst case scenario.
    Rob-Thanks for the link but only valid until April.
    Shades-I have plenty of time on the Friday so happy to coach it,not so much on the way back as I will need to stretch my legs and train is easier to walk up and down.Due to last year's timetables being rubbish they aren't releasing cheap tickets as early now,it's currently about 8 weeks in advance,not 12,so up until end of April is currently out,looking at that weekend I can coach from Crewe to Exeter,then a train to NA,and train back to Crewe for £66,rather than 120 train alone.Its an easy drive to Crewe from mine,so will keep an eye out for when the train fares are released.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I too think the sleeper idea would be really tiring.  If you didn't sleep well on the train I think you could feel worn out before the start of the race.

Kettlebell classes are a brilliant work out.

Big G - your current car insurance should automatically have you covered for a Green Card but I'm sure your insurance company will advise if you need a physical document.  I would guess that any delays you might have would be on your return trip.

I'm travelling on Brexit day too, but only to Wales so not expecting any problems there :D   Will be my first trip to Wales since they abolished the toll charges :) 

Ian - yes, you could spend Friday on the coach doing your carbo loading :) , munching your way south.  There are frequent trains from Exeter to NA.  I can pick you up from the station to take you to your accommodation.   Travelling from Crewe does seem the best way.   You'll be late getting home on Saturday night but hopefully you'll have the Sunday off work to recover :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I've provisionally booked the keyberry hotel,doesn't look far from the station.
    Decided to do my hilly loops today,wasn't expecting too much after my heavy mileage the last 5 days but somehow, the effort section averaged 6 secs/mile quicker than when I did it before GC.I need a 4 s/m improvement from GC to Manchester,so pretty happy 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've just had a check of my mileage last year,as I knew I'd struggled a bit at the start.Jan-April I did 325 miles,I'm now on 326 so well ahead already.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, that’s what I’ve done. I called the insurance company and they’re sending me a card, free of charge. It hadn’t arrived before I left for Malta but maybe it’s there when I return.

I also need to make doubly sure I have everything I need for driving in France as I have visions of the police setting up camp in Dunkirk checking cars as they got off the ferry on Brexit Day, to ensure everything is in order. Breathalyser, fluorescent vests, set of bulbs, warning triangle are required to drive in France - I have everything but my breathalyser may be out of date so need to double check it. I’ve never been stopped whilst driving there but on occasion I believe they do have a more rigorous check of random cars so I don’t want to get caught out!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - the Keyberry is about half a mile from me and a little bit further from the station. It's a pub but in a residential area and I would guess locals mostly. 

I'm sure you'll find the 4s/m that you need. Manchester should be cooler than GC and that will help.
    I remember you had a tortuous start to last year.

Big G- I don't blame you for being so well organised and ensuring that you have everything that you legally need for driving in EU. There's bound to be some jobsworth that might try to make an example of you. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I didn't realise it was a pub but seems to have good reviews and was only £50.
    Not sure what to run tomorrow,somehow my legs still feel really strong,would another 20 be too much?or should I do 15-16
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ian - there aren't many B&B's around here that aren't pubs. 

There is a Premier Inn at the Racecourse, that has a Beefeater but as it's fairly new I guess the rooms are soundproofed. It's just a risk re noise when staying on licensed premises.  I stayed at the Plume of Feathers at Princetown for DD  once and they gave me a room right over the bar.

It's up to you re your long run but 15/16 would be enough.  You need a race, you're raring to go! 
  • Ian GWR have already released the cheap seats, could have done with a few more weeks do decide.

Shades I do enjoy kettlebells for that reason too.  I have also booked a room at the keyberry for convenience in the morning.  

Big G, I'm sure after Brexit the french will see a British car they'll make extra random checks for fun!  

3.7 miles and spin last night, foot felt a bit tight last night but seems okay this morning.  Going to do some stretching this morning, had contemplated a run but don't want to overdo it.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I used to do 2 kettlebell classes a week a few years ago and loved it.   There is a class at the leisure centre in a nearby town which is covered my leisure club membership but a faff to drive there for a class plus I think it's on a Sunday morning which isn't really convenient for me.

Circuits this morning was most enjoyable.   

Ian - the undergrad was at circuits but we didn't get a chance for a natter so I'll try and ask her next week about the science available on cramps/vinegar. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Just had a look on GWR-pity they don't go my way,you could get a Megabus,if you didn't mind coach,for £7 there and train back for 25 or 60 train return from Stevenage,bargain fares there.

• Ian, was tempted to book yesterday but a bit early to say if I will be running yet, worst case scenario its £104 return plus I get the flexibility of a few trains in the evening so no waiting at the station.

As for Brexit day, I am also travelling for work 10 miles Stevenage to Hertford, they don't need much of an excuse to cancel/ delay my trains so they'll probably use Brexit.

LLHM have finally officially announced the pacers, my facebook timeline is full from the support page for LLHM, started to get a tiny bit excited about it, seems to have came at the right time as I start running again.

• Sounds promising, Rob!
    10 miles this morning, recovery pace. Achilles was grumpy. My physio's manipulations normally work like magic, but not this time unfortunately. I think my calves are probably super tight from the 22 on Sunday. Knee isn't bad now but I skipped inferno pilates today. Don't want to push my luck. Body's rather tired, I think.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-What time are you pacing?
    After debating going long again today I decided to take a rest day,don't like doing it on a day off as it seems a waste,but achilles is sore and I've done 65 in the last 6 days so a rest will do me good,doing exciting stuff like washing the car,planning work rota's etc instead,at least I can sit in the garden doing them which seems crazy in February

• Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Cal well done on listening to the body and resting, no point overdoing it this late into the marathon training.

Ian I'm pacing 2hr 15, which is 10.18 per mile which will be the challenge.  Also I haven't ran for more than 2 hours since July!  Hope you enjoy your day off.

Have taken the plunge, bought train tickets for DD! £59.50 return from Hertford, Arrives NA 1331 on the Friday and leave at 2005 on Saturday. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - ease up for a while and you'll get rid of that tiredness and be ready for your half the following weekend.  It's this weekend you're marshaling isn't it?  So no temptation to squeeze another long run in.

Ian - it's lovely weather for Feb, enjoy it.  I even thought about washing my car then remembered it's booked in for a service on Friday and I always get a free wash and hoover then. 
    65 miles in 6 days is great training but don't push your luck with that achilles.

Robert - that's great news you've booked your travel for DD. 😀 That seems like a very good price too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I think it was you who uses SiS gels?  They had a stand in my local Lidl with a variety of multi packs on sale that looked good value.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles for me, much nicer this morning as that nasty freezing fog has gone.  A little gentle drizzle which felt really nice, ages since we had rain, bit breezy but mild.   

Can't believe it's end of Feb already :o
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got back okay yesterday, with everything running on time....really tired though and also feeling fat and bloated!  My mind is saying "Oh, just go out and do a 10-miler - it'll be fun" but my body doesn't feel up to it at the moment.  Maybe I'll do a short run later.  I know we'll never know, but I am wondering if it was wishful thinking that I'd have got a PB at Malta; I am not sure if I would have really.  Hopefully I'll get some weight off before Rotterdam and get some decent training in too.

However, it's also time to crack on with the new house.  There's not loads and loads to do, but I've given myself a timescale of getting it done by mid-March, so I need to get on with it.  Some of the rooms need painting, the hall/landing needs recarpetting and there are other bits and pieces that need doing too.  I'll try and fit it all in between the next two marathons ;)  Plus I need to get my place tidied up with the garden in much need of a sprucing up, and other bits and pieces needed.  Hopefully that'll all be done in a day or two after the stuff is moved out in mid-March, and then the plan is to get it rented asap.

Looking (a long way) ahead, I'm becoming very slightly concerned about numbers of marathons.  I've only done two this year, and had to pull out of another two (Wrexham, and obviously Malta) so I'm still on 59 at the moment.  A long term (and not confirmed in any way!) plan is to line up Cornish 2020 as my 100th, but really I feel I need to get to 80+ by the end of this year to have that as a chance, whereas my current plan has me up to about 78.  I know from last year that I can always squeeze another couple in if I have to, so hopefully things will work out but I need to remain injury free too.  If it doesn't happen at Cornish 2020, it's no big deal I suppose, but I like having a very rough plan in mind at least.  Even if I do fall short of 80+ this year, I'm still not going back to MK for Enigma events this year though!

Just feeling a bit low regarding the running - don't know if it's post-holdiay blues or what it is, and I know I'm lucky to at least be able to run (apologies for moaning to those on the injury bench!) but hopefully I'll bounce out of it again soon.
  • Shades, yes I use SiS but I have loads of them right now! I bought a big box a few months ago and then got some more for Christmas! Probably won't need to buy more for another year, I reckon!

Today I'm resting. I went to a Vinyasa flow class yesterday evening, which I thought would be more gentle than doing lots of squats and burpees, but my knee and hip both niggled at me and I could barely do anything. Consequently, I decided not to do any classes today. I've been for a walk - that will have to do.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - welcome home. I'm not surprised you're feeling a bit tired and jaded, it must still be disappointing that you didn't get to do your marathon.  And of course the knock on effect that's had to your race plans and marathon stats.  I was going to say that you could always do a few more races around TBL but you've already dismissed that! 

When planning for your 100th I would suggest that you have a generous 4 weeks or so in hand so that colds/injuries/unforseen circumstances won't stop you doing your 100th on your chosen day.

I had to cram a few in with some doubles to get my plans for my 100th to work out right. I had contacted a couple of race directors and asked if I needed a place last minute could they oblige, they agreed but I didn't need them. So I had a clear 4 weeks from 99 to do some training, I wanted to have a good race and I did, running my 3rd or 4th fastest time. But the cramming was tough, particularly when I did a 33 mile ultra on the Saturday on the hottest day in Wiltshire for 50 years, I had to stop on route and have some sweet tea as I was feeling sick. I finished but couldn't eat that evening and had to drive to Wales to do a marathon the next day.

Anyway not long until your next marathon so hopefully that will restore your mojo.

Hope the move goes well, lots to do!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's good that you're well stocked up on the gels.

Not easy to know how tough a class is going to be. We were expecting another stretchy Pilates class today but the instructor went off at a tangent and it ended up being really tough, but good.

Hope you get over the niggles and tiredness soon.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I'd really like to have a few weeks of leeway in case of injuries or whatever else.  So if I finish on 80 this year, I'll really need to try and do 19 between Jan and late Sept/early Oct of 2020.  It's possible of course, but I'd like a bit of room if anything goes wrong.  There are so many events that if I absolutely have to, I know I can go and do a couple at shortish notice; I think, for example, How Hard Can It Be and Running Miles have a lot bigger fields than the Enigma events, and as far as I know they don't really sell out.  There's a long way to go yet in any case, but it seems a long time since I did my 50th last October, and to be only sitting on 59 as we go into March it doesn't feel like the total has increased that much.  Having said all that, I can easily see a couple of gaps in the calendar where I may be able to do one or two extra, so we'll just see how it goes as I may get it back on track yet anyway.  For example, and it really depends on how I am feeling but I can potentially squeeze a Dutch one in the week before Rotterdam, but that will depend on if I feel I'm capable of a PB at Rotterdam - if i feel I am, I won't do one the week before.  Also, I haven't entered NDVM yet as I'm doing MK on the Monday and I think that one is a quick course - I did the double last year in hot conditions, but I did actually quite like MK.  And that's just the first half of the year so I know things will come up that I can enter in the second half of the year if I need to.

Sounds like you had a busy period trying to squeeze them in for your 100th - that sounds very tough doing the ultra and then the marathon the day after in hot conditions.  If mine doesn't happen at Cornish 2020 I may go for NDVM the following year, or just go abroad in the March and do it at somewhere like Barca.  I know there wouldn't be anyone there to celebrate it with me, but I loved that race last year - although my time was slightly disappointing, that race was a big highlight of my year.

OH was asking me if I was disappointed about Malta Marathon.  I am in that I went all that way for it to be cancelled on the Saturday night so yes, it's disappointing especially as I'd been overdoing it on the carb loading ;)  But at the same time I know it was 100% the right decision by the organisers.  I can't see me going back for a while though as I've been twice in two years and there are other events I'd like to do, and sadly I can't do it all.  If the Exeter flights to Malta (it's a new route) end up being really cheap and doable with only staying 2 or 3 nights I may consider it but otherwise I can't see me going next year at least.  The thing is, it's an affordable one; I think I paid about €30 (plus €5 for the bus to the start) for the race, flights were about £55 return, and 5 nights in a nice/spacious apartment cost about £200 for the two of us.  Also, I quite like Malta - it's a funny mix of Mediterranean, Arabic and British influence and I like it but OH wasn't a massive fan.  Large parts of the island are being built on or renovated but I just accept that and go to the nicer parts instead although you have to travel through the building work to get to these places.  As I say, I don't mind it and enjoy the different mix, but OH wasn't too keen.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it's not easy trying to schedule in the races so you can do those special ones at events that are meaningful to you. 
    I have a bit of a dilemma too for my 400th. As I missed 9 races last year I'm now on 375 and if I don't miss any this year then my 400th will fall on or around DD next year and I'm not sure I want that as I might not make the cut off.  But that number is not that special so I'll just wait to see how 2019 goes before deciding what to do.

The Running Miles guys are just the sort that would give you a last minute place should you need it.

Re Malta, still on my to do list, as are so many others.   But don't think it's possible from Exeter as isn't that route seasonal and marathon is too early.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big g-Good luck on the planning,if you make Barca your 100 you may well have other people to celebrate as it's quite a cheap city to get to.
    As for me,bad few days,I tool yesterday as a rest asbo wasn't feeling great,legs sore and a slight sore throat,well today it's turned into a monster sore throat,coughing and sputtering and all the other things that go with it,best mileage week ever last week,now this.I wanted 3x50 mile weeks but that isn't happening now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, regarding the new Exeter-Malta route I just had a quick look and they're booking up until October at the moment, but I don't know if it's a year round thing, or just seasonal.  They fly Saturday and Tuesdays by the look of it, but it looks to be a late flight on the Saturday meaning it's not really doable as runners have to pick numbers up before the race.  I guess out via Brum and back via Exeter to save a couple of days accommodation would be possible but obviously a lot more faff.

Ian, bad news about the cold :(  It's so frustrating when you have a few weeks of decent training planned and then something like that comes along to scupper it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's bad luck about the cold, but better now than closer to your marathon. Hope it clears soon. Just as well you rested yesterday.

I haven't done Barcelona as from down here the flights have always been a bit expensive for marathon weekend. Barcelona is a very popular race with the Brits and that's reflected in the price for that weekend.

Big G - I heard Malta from Exeter was seasonal only.  The time I was due to go we had very reasonable flights from Gatwick with easyJet. Gatwick can be a pain to get to though.