Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Big G - we had tougher conditions at Humdinger this year and had to run through cold floods which didn't help.   I found the downhills easier at Tavy, think the Humdinger downhills may have been steeper?   Will have to do them both again to compare ;)   So far I prefer Tavy but I may be influenced by the weather.

I've just emailed Tavy to thank them and to report the only idiot I saw with headphones, she obviously thought just using one earphone would be OK but I passed her when we were heading up that narrow steep stretch up to 8 miles and she was on the wrong side of the road with a very sharp bend ahead of her.   I saw her finish still with her earphone in, I expect they've disqualified her already.

Children's party food ideal to refuel on carbs.   I was so hungry yesterday post race as with the delayed start etc.  I had a huge plate for dinner last night.

Steve - you seem to be putting in the same, if not more training than when you were preparing for a marathon/ultra!

Usual instructor for my gentle Yogalates class is ill today so we had a replacement, she's lovely but takes no prisoners and it was a really tough class. :'(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Two hurt in head-on 'drink drive' crash

Millicent Cooke

BBC News Online

Two people have been injured in a head-on crash between a car and a pickup truck.

The crash happened on the A386, near the Pitts Cleave Industrial Estate in Tavistock, at about 09:00 on Sunday.

A female passenger was airlifted to hospital in Plymouth and a male driver was also taken by ambulance.

Police tweeted that the road had been "blocked due to a thoughtless drink-driver".

They added that it was "lucky" there were "no serious injuries".

Officers said the "offending driver required hospital treatment" and "will be followed up when fit to be spoken to".

Sunday morning's accident caused by drunk driver.  :#  That probably explains why police were happy for the race to go ahead

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Brilliant pacing,sure you'll be asked back getting it so good.
    Shades-"Lucky" that crash didn't happen when you were running.
    Steve-What is your current half PB,and what are you aiming for?must be under serious threat the way you're training at the minute.
    Weird run today,felt no issues at all in my legs all day,but when I started running they felt really tired,pace and effort were same as usual but seemed to feel harder,could be the start of taper madness.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, racing a Half can take me a day or so for me to feel more "normal", so maybe it's that in your case?

In my case, with that in mind, my legs are still feeling quite heavy even after this morning's recovery run, so I've decided not to go along to the club tonight.  All being well I'll get out for a run of some sort tomorrow.
  • Cal, Its a fantastic expereince around London, loads of music, support and the best pacers the world have to offer! No reason why it's not a PB course as you've proved running round QEOP the other week but it is twisty with some 180 turns.  They also have a facebook support group which has been epic being part of.

Steve epic stuff putting those final quick miles in at the end.

Shades, can't beat party food to refuel on, my eyes light up at the sight of it at Ultras.  That looks like a nasty crash, why people think it's okay to drink and drive I have no idea however if it was 1st thing in the morning its sometime harder to calculate if had a few the night before.

Heal has been quite good today (last night was agony) I do need to do some stretching before going to bed though.  Defo got a case of race day blues and got quite emotional earlier as my fitness it deteriorating and the injury doesnt seem to be getting any better I started thinking that could be my last race.  Silly but need to get on!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think we were very fortunate that the police let the race go ahead, on the right hand side there is a pavement and we had to stay on that, but the road was closed to traffic.

Quite a few of you on that taper bench at the moment ;) 

Robert - you've been really strong through this awful prolonged injury with your PF and you've managed to remain upbeat, there's bound to be times when you despair.  You will recover though.

Mamafox - it's today isn't it that you get your injection?  Hope it's not too painful and more importantly that it works.

Big G - you had a heavy week running wise last week so probably best to skip last night's session.

Just looked at the final results for Tavy and I wasn't the only one in my age group, there were 2 more who got 2nd and 3rd, but I guess they hadn't finished when they calculated the results for the prizegiving.  So at least I wasn't last woman standing ;) 

They've disqualified the girl that I emailed the organisers about, she's the only DQ in the race.

5 miles today for me, cold and frosty.   Lovely and light though.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Shades.
    Glad your heel is feeling OK today, Rob. Maybe you could do with a visit to my biomechanics lady?

Beautiful day again today - quite cool so I kept my gloves on. Got 7 miles done, which was 6 miles plus strides. Enjoyed the strides. According to my Garmin, my max cadence for that last mile was 218. :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, my result was the same as my watch time, so I officially snuck under 1:42...by one second :)  I know it doesn't really make a lot of difference, but the x:x:59 finish always seems better than a x:x:00 or x:x:01 :)    I have been having an even closer look at my splits compared to 2017 and it does still feel a bit odd.  I was slower on the uphills, which are all before 8-miles.  But I was quite a lot quicker getting to the 8-mile point and from 8-miles down to the finish I was actually slower.  Therefore, I was quite a lot slower on the uphills but got to the top faster, and although I felt like I was running pretty well on the down hill back to the finish, I was actually slower!  This all happened naturally in that I didn't know my splits accurately from previous races, and I wasn't chasing a time as such.....I just did my best.  I suppose I know the course better as this is my third go at it, so maybe I was sub-consciously aware of the steeper hills and ran accordingly.

OH has a couple of days off and she's desperate to get the kitchen at least started.  So it looks like that's what I'll be doing.  I won't be going hell for leather like before we moved in, as there's running that needs to be done ;)  
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Cal - I've never really understood what exactly strides are. I just seemed to run faster with bigger BFG type steps for 100m or so when I had to do them. Not sure if that's the right way though.

Rob - That is a really great photo of you all. Well done on your pacing, I don't think I'd ever offer to do that as I couldn't stand the pressure. The fact that you have raced a HM shows that there has been some improvement surely. My GP is very positive about these injections so maybe that's something to try.

Steve - You must be well fit doing all that mixed training. Are you going for a triathlon too?.. I can't remember. I really miss my racing bike. Some muppet went straight through a stop sign, knocking me off and completely flattened my bike about a year or so ago. I'm back on my mountain bike now but it's not the same.. have you got a good racing bike?

Khani - My sympathies with you on the weight gain. I've put on 3 kilos since November and feel horrible. Regular running seems the only thing that keeps my weight on an even keel. I too remember the cupcake incident.. ha!

Big G - Well done on that HM, a course best is great. That should give you a bit of a boost for Rotterdam. Are you still writing?

Shades - Well done on your 1st prize.. and an improvement since last year too. Have you done that HADD test yet?
    With regards to my owl I think it was just an accident that she came in.. the velux in another room had been completely opened by the cat sitting on in during the night and she obviously flew in there. When we moved here there were 3 or 4 owls nesting in the attic. Since we've converted the attic to bedrooms the owls have moved out but are still around. Not sure where they're nesting now though.

Yes, you're right, my injection was this morning. I almost got carried away and put a foot photo on here but stopped myself in time, there'd be Shadies leaving the thread in droves. Do you remember SK put a photo of her foot on here once? She had a very glamorous foot though. Unfortunately I can't say the same. Anyway, as I mentioned to Robert, my GP is very positive about the outcome. No exercise this week, next week walking and the week after running. If the pain comes back even slightly when I start running agian then it's worth doing another shot but if it comes back as bad as it is now then he'll do an MRI scan and take it from there. He has had various tendon problems himself (He's an ultra runner) and is sure we can sort it out. He is due to do an 87km trail near Cahors in a couple of weeks. The course looks beautiful and worth a visit if any of you ultra runners are looking for something different. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    For strides I just sprint for a stretch. Not a flat out sprint - more like a running for the bus kind of sprint. Just improves turnover and give the legs a little boost.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    MF - No, not training for a triathlon....my swimming is terrible!! I've got a Trek hybrid bike, but only use it on the turbo trainer.
    Ian - Current PB is 1:24:24.....so would like to go under that if possible, but I'll see where the training takes me.
    Shades - Ha ha, not quite there with the miles yet. For my last ultra I was around 50-60 miles a week. This plan will have me at 40-50.
    Easy 10 miles this morning, average 9:10 I think, quite cool out first thing, but nice to get the easy miles in.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - That looks like a nasty crash!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I didn't start my watch at the right place, couldn't see the start line/sign.  Good that your time was the same as your watch, it's so annoying when a race result is more than a couple of seconds out.

Have fun with the kitchen, I thought you'd managed to postpone that until the summer ;) 

mamafox - your doctor sounds great and he's obviously determined to get you back running.   Thank you for not posting the foot photo ;) 

It wasn't an improvement for me at Tavy 13, four minutes slower this year than in 2017, but it was 5 mins faster than my last half which was also hilly.

No, haven't had a chance to do my Hadd test, won't be this week either, maybe next week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-About this time last year I was really down about my Achilles and considered giving up but I'm so glad I didn't.
    Mama-Great to have a doctor who understands,hopefully he can find a way to fix you.
    Big G-Good luck with the kitchen  ;)
    10 miles today,weather was really nice,just a bit of a headwind the last 2 miles,got a new pair of ISO's ,very white with yellow on the bottom,not a colour I was sure of but they look really nice on,just need to dirty them a bit.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, no I'm not really writing any more.  I had a period where I was submitting lots of different pieces to writing competitions, but didn't get anywhere.  It's not really that I lost interest, but I was struggling to come up with new ideas.  I did pay for some feedback on a couple of occasions and had some good feedback in that I can see where improvements could be made, but to be honest I did find it difficult to implement.   Fingers crossed your GP gets you back up and running more regularly soon.

Ian, well done for persevering since that achilles issue.  Your improvements this year or so have definitely made the perseverance worth while!

Had quite a busy day on the kitchen.  It could have been one of those comedy moments at the start though as I put a few strokes on the wall and OH immediately says "I don't like the colour!"....  So off we went back to B&Q to take the two unopened tins back and got a new colour, and I have to say it is an improvement.

This afternoon I entered a double in Wales over the Easter weekend.  I did have some initial plans with friends over that weekend (OH is working all weekend) but they fell through so of course I immediately started looking for events....and ended up booking two :)  

I did get out for a nice 6-miler at around 6:30pm, which was enjoyable.  Legs felt quite heavy at the start, but they got better and felt fairly good come the end.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Better to find out sooner rather than later, Big G - I once made the mistake of trying to cheer up my (very small) bathroom by painting it yellow. What looked like a fun colour in B&Q ended up being an overwhelming train front yellow when I got it done. Had to live with it for a few years before I got the bathroom tiled in tasteful light grey. :lol:

Ian - can't be doing with white shoes myself - they'll be dark grey pretty quickly. I try to stay away from any light colours now. I do agree they look nice, when they're new...

8 miles bright and early with 6 at MP. Actually ended up being a bit quicker than MP. I did the first of them in 9:19 which was fine but they kept getting quicker and three of them were sub-4 pace (which I'm not ready for, just yet!)
    Achilles was fine until the cool-down mile, when it started to grumble. I don't know if it was the change of pace or the fact the previous mile had a long downhill followed by a sharp uphill. Maybe a bit of both. Quite a few aches surfaced in that last mile - I think I do run better when I'm going faster.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    For those that have done Manchester before, is it always the first Sunday in April?  It’s on the list and I’m just thinking (a long way) ahead to next year as I’m presuming accommodation can get pricey?

I’ve decided I’m definitely not going away to Valencia with the club this year. With other things going on, I’ve got the budget for one more race and seriously considering Sofia. Flights are cheap from Gatwick (£61 return), accommodating is affordable (£150 for a double room for 3 nights), the race is cheap (€25), OH is very keen and it’s a place I’ve not been before so it ticks a lot of boxes. I posted on the 100MC page and some said it was not an especially inspiring route (4 laps) although I believe the route is being changed this year to a two lapper. I’m very tempted though as the city itself looks great.

Didn’t have the best night’s sleep. I’ve got a pain my right shoulder that kept me awake so I think I must have tweaked something whilst decorating. It feels fine to run in that I did a steady 3 miler this morning and it was ok. Another few hours of decorating today and the walls will be done in the kitchen - there’s a lot of cutting in as there’s an old fire place, shelving plus the kitchen cabinets themselves so it’s taking time. Then it’s ‘just’ redoing the cabinets themselves which is definitely a job for another time!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've seen those Guide ISO's online in that colour :o   I think Saucony really did badly in the colour ranges for the Guides ISO's, I think the ISO 2's are a better range of colours.  

Big G - just as well you'd only a little bit of the painting before decision made to change the colour!

I'm sure it's the DIY that sends you to your PC to enter a couple more marathons ;)   I've added them to the list, I'm assuming it's the Gregynog events?  I'll be interested to hear about that race as I'm planning to do it next year.

Sofia sounds like a great choice.   There are quite a few European marathons where sometimes due to the history of the place the routes are not that inspiring but the places are still well worth a visit and all in all can make up for the course.  Ljubljana is like that, fabulous place to visit but not that nice a marathon route.

Cal - I did exactly the same with my small bathroom and painted it a yellow, which I chose carefully, went well with the grey tiles.  But once it was finished when I looked in the mirror it made me look like I had jaundice.   Now a very pale green and looks so much better.

Circuits was good today, only 6 of us but most enjoyable.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've had an email from Tavy 13, saying that in response to my complaint about the runner with headphones that they have disqualified her.   They have emailed her to explain why.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like April is going to be a busy month :) 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it’s the Gregynog events. I’m staying at the hotel itself. Not sure if the race organisers arranged a discounted price with the hotel, but I’ve been quoted £55 per night b&b so it made sense to stay there for ease on race days. It’s a cheaper rate than hotels.com and their own website. They don’t appear to do evening meals though, but I’m sure I can find somewhere. 

Shades, good on them for DQing that runner. They were really very clear about the rules on the website, plus as we were lining up for the race, so that runner should have no complaints. 

Booked flights to Sofia so 100% not doing Valencia now. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - yeah it's always early April (I think if the Sunday was the 1st then it would be the week after, but I imagine it will be the 5th next year).
    I'm in two minds about Valencia myself. I'd like to do it seeing as I missed out last year but York is a later marathon than Chester and it might be a bit much. I know after doing Chester and getting that PB there I wasn't that enthused about having to do it all again, although I was still disappointed when I got sick. Probably not as disappointed as I could have been, though.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Disaster. All 3 of my long runs including today’s I hit a barrier at 18 miles. I get this strong desire to take a break and I give in to it. Today at 19 miles I stopped and scoffed a bread pudding, coke and twix! I abandoned my 22 mile run a mile later at 20. :( I don’t see how it can be nutrition as I was taking a gel every 4 miles.
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I think maybe I was thirsty
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure as you'll be in Wales a good chip shop won't be far away. 😊

That DQ runner at Tavy made me laugh as she was sorting out her playlist while standing next to the sign on the track, the sign that said no headphones.

Good news about Sofia trip.  You can always do Valencia without the Trotters.

Cal - it might be better for you having a shorter time between York and Valencia, time to recover but not long enough to have to do any long runs.

Khanivore - gels are only a few grams of sugar.  Make sure you're eating enough in your meal before your training runs and races and you are well hydrated.  You could be right, it's easy to confuse hunger and thirst especially when you are tired. 

It's not a disaster but maybe carry a few Euro on race day in case you need to stop and buy something to see you through the last few miles.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-The last few years have been the 17th(2015),10th(16),2nd(17),8th(18) and now the 7th,it probably depends when London is as I'd imagine they keep it away from it.
    Khani-How fast were you running in comparison to your race pace,just a bit too quick can make a world of difference near the end.
    Went to do my hill loops today after work,but didn't have the energy so called it a day after 2,will stick to doing it on a day off in future.
  • Shades, glad the race DQ the earphone girl, it's more of a case of making an example of her but for the safety of races to continue its a must.

Ian, I've got a pair of the yellow stripe ISO, still box fresh as a) got a few pairs i'm alternating with on a day to day basis and b) they're a bit bright for a casual pair.

MF will be interested to see how you get on with the injection.  I've not been to my docs for about 5 years as not changed since I've moved.  The pacing was stressful and compared to a lot of the pacers I took the role responsibly and tried to keep an even pace throughout.

Cal/ Big G/ shades, I was out at a race once and the OH decided to paint the bathroom, came back and disgusting bright yellow, its hideous, think as part of our rent we get it redone next year.

Khani, fear not i've bonked in the final miles of longer training runs, it usually has been due to nutrition but it reminds you to make things perfect come race day.

I've not ran since Sunday, feel I could but my calfs are tight so just stretching at the moment.  There is very little pain in my foot, heel feels like its slightly bruised but wont know if any good until I run again, probably parkrun on Saturday.

After my mental wobble about not running again, i'm okay now just need to keep on thinking positive, it's gotta give at some point!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Thanks all. I drank only 650ml water during the run. Pacing seemed about right with an almight fade in miles 19-20. Eating bread pudding from a cafe mid run will do that to you I guess :)

I had no breakfast before my run, which started at 10am. I'm scared of needing a number 2 when I do eat before a run - happened to me at London. Not sure what to do for Paris re pre-race food. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Khani, I don't usually eat before a long run but I make sure I eat well the day before. I do take gels.
    Before races I just have some oats with honey (no milk - I make it up with hot water) as fats and proteins make me feel sick when I run.
    I also cut down fibre a bit the days before a race - that helps with the toilet issues.
  • Khani, probably be more about not having breakfast rather than hydration unless you started dehydrated?  I find having a breakfast about 3-4 hours before the race works for me, at the race I'll prob go for a no 2 a couple of times before the race.  In 22 marathons/ ultras I've only had an unwanted stop on two occasions.

Been selected for volunteering at London Marathon again, great day out by the Isle Of Dogs (mile 17).