Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    I like them 😃

Just stumbled across another possible cure for cramping https://theplantedrunner.com/fireball-anti-cramp-gels/

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Honk - good for you trying to find alternative fuelling to the overpriced commercial stuff.  You can indeed make your own sports drinks too if you wish, Phil Hampton who is a previous world record holder at 50 miles used to make his own.   

I use mainly sweets for my carbs, 85 pence a bag and I use less than a bag in a marathon.  Salt tablets were about £5 for 100 and I only use 2 in a race, maybe 3 in a hot ultra, still have enough for about the next 6 months, can't get them anymore from that supplier or at that price.   Sometimes I use dates, very good high GI, popular with ultra runners.  Sometimes a little bit of flapjack, but can't eat much of it.  I did put some chocolate in my drop bags at Connemara, each ultra runner can put out up to 3 drop bags, but I couldn't eat it as it was so cold it was just too hard to eat.  I did put out some savoury crackers too and I ate those and they were really helpful, I do get fed up of sweet stuff. 

I have made energy balls in the past and they were really good and very palatable, really easy to eat when running so hope you enjoy them.  I'd like to try and find a recipe for some savoury ones, might try them for DD.

I do agree with Robert that the energy balls don't photograph well!

Big G - I watched that Barkley marathons film, really good.  Such a nice guy, amazing that he was still so polite and calm even when so sleep deprived.  I knew it was going to be tough to watch and I was exhausted at the end of it, too much empathy. Great film though.   That race is truly awful, but each to their own, I hope it's not on your wish list ;)

Robert - I will sign up to their emails, thanks.

Another great pacing job from you, sub 60 minutes is a significant goal for a 10km.  Hope the foot is OK today too, maybe the injection will just give you that final recovery tool that you need.

Rest day for me today.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Honk, they look good a good idea - I've never tried that.  I've only done one "proper" Ultra (the Dartmoor Discovery last year) and I was totally sure I'd be okay with a fruit & nut mix, but when it came to it I just didn't fancy them.  I'd also made cheese sandwiches for a couple of the aid stations but couldn't get those down either which I found odd as often after a long run, I really fancy a cheese sandwich.  However, when I passed a spectator with watermelon and oranges, I wolfed them down!

Shades, yes it's a really good documentary.  It was an emotional roller coaster and at the end he just seemed to have a look in his eyes, which looked to me like he was very, very determined.  Obviously his wife was a huge support as well.  60000ft of ascent for the (approx) 120-130 miles.  Absolutely crazy.  I was watching it with OH and tried to explain that these were incredible runners, and that although they were taking 8-13hr-ish per loop just showed how tough it was!   The RD is quite a chap isn't he?

Had a good day yesterday in that there was a very minor improvement it seems, so hopefully that'll continue.  I did something stupid this morning though - I was getting something down from a shelf with my left hand and the box slipped, so I instinctively went to "save" it with my right hand.  Agony :(  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ouch, hope you're not suffering for this morning's reflex action.  Good that there is steady progress though.

Re ultra/DD food, I've tried many things over the years and like you put stuff out that I was convinced I'd have no problem eating but when it came to it I just couldn't eat.   For me fruit and nut mix needs too much chewing and sandwiches are also quite dense.  I see the runner at Barkley was eating burgers at the checkpoints and cereal/chocolate bars when he was running.  He was also carbo loading up on gnocchi too, and lots of ketchup!

I might think about trying the gnocchi, maybe with parmesan to make it tasty, would be good for my stomach too.

Yes, RD at Barkley is definitely a character.   I think one of the cruellest elements of the race is the random start time!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I was thinking that about the unknown start time - I agree I think that would be horrible.  Tavy 13 being delayed by 1hr unsettled/annoyed me, so I'm not cut out for an unknown 12hr range for the start of a race!  ;)  Even Liverpool marathon last year being delayed by about 15mins frustrated me....!  Really trying not to give spoilers, but seeing Robbins seemingly drinking ketchup from a squeezey bottle made me chuckle!  But even someone like him changes his mind - before the race he made it clear that he wanted one banana every time he stopped, but at the start of the second or third loop, he refused it.  It must be really hard to crew for something like that; he was kind of calling orders at his wife (in a nice way, and she was behind him 100%) but she just had to get what he wanted, when he wanted it.  Must be tough for her as she knows full well how much the race meant to him, but when he's out there there's nothing she can do except wait.

I think the other thing is lack of sleep.  I would want to sleep, but then if you sleep for say 1hr, getting up and starting again knowing you've got 40+ miles to go must be incredibly tough.

Regarding the RD, do you remember a few years ago Rob Young was running across America but, putting it bluntly, cheated.  The RD was one of the people who helped bust him - as soon as he and a few mates were out there for "eyes on the ground" Young's pace dropped dramatically.  I remember seeing pics of him out on the road, waiting for Young to show up.
    The RD is quoted quite a lot in this article about that.  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jun/22/robert-young-marathon-record-attempt-cheating-rumors
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    PS, I meant to add - did you see that Nicky Spinks had a go at it this year?  No one finished this year in what I think were very poor conditions.
    https://www.inov-8.com/blog/nicky-spinks-barkley-marathons/
  • A brief flying visit time from me
    Aborted parkrun this morning as legs a tad tired from yesterday so looped home even though had ample time to get to the start and was barely quarter mile from it too Mostly due to having a 10k tomorrow.
    Yesterday did 3.5 miles in morning then had breakfast followed by driving to Keswick to cycle up Whinlatter pass to meet brother and rest the family. Then spent 4 hours or so on a loop up to Lords Seat and back inc a picnic stop and another shortish stop below Lords Seat itself.
    So thats both my first Wainwright (yes I am aware i have lived here for well over a decade and still only done one) and first pass on the bike  with no stopping albeit i have done Cold Fell from Calderbridge side (aka the opposite way to the Fred Whitton route and i never cycled all the way).
    May have caught the sun a little bit yesterday too ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the guy that put on the 40 mile ultra at Llanelli also had an event for the autumn planned.  It was to be an ultra, but without a set distance or time, was to be decided on the day or maybe at the end of each lap (not sure) so it could have been a 6 hour or 12 hour race but also having to complete laps in a certain time.   I didn't enter as not knowing how far I have to run or how much time there is to run is just not for me, I couldn't plan how to pace that.   Anyway, I wasn't the only one, not enough entries so event was cancelled.

I think the RD at Barkley knows exactly what a runner is capable of, hence his involvement with Young's attempt to run across the USA.

I had to look up Nicky Spinks, I don't follow off road runners.   Seems it was tougher than she expected at Barkley but I'm sure she's right in saying that you need to go back maybe several times to have any chance of completing the event.

Keith - trashed legs and sunburn, hope you've recovered for tomorrow's 10km.

Any marathons/ultras entered to add to the list?
  • James Elson RD for Centurion had a crack at Barkley this year, failed to go for a 3rd lap.  He also said it was tough mentally not knowing how much sleep time you have before the start.  I like my ultras signposted and the only obstacles a few hills.

Foot feeling okayish this morning, bit of rolling and stretching helps ease and able to walk well.  Doms from yesterday run have set it, hope that its more to do with me not running freely and tensing holding a pace.

In regards to fueling on Ultras I'm not too fussy, will eat pretty much anything on offer but by go to is cheese and pickle sandwiches, jelly sweets, cake, sausage rolls, sausages, pork pies.

At DD understand you can supply your own drinks, can you pop a sandwich bag round them as well?  At any of the checkpoints do they supply any water/ drinks/ snacks?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, interesting that you know someone who's gone over to give Barkley a go.  The method of getting into the race seems shrouded in secrecy!  Do you happen to know if it's true that it only costs a couple of dollars (plus a license plate) to enter it?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nicky Spinks is a legend - double Bob Graham, double Ramsey round and she's my age and a breast cancer survivor. If she couldn't hack it this year, it must have been truly brutal.

Today's outing was Wanstead Flats parkrun. I'd wanted to do Banstead as it's a beautiful bluebell wood this time of year, but since there are all sorts of railway repairs and rail replacement bus services, I decided to do one I could get to on the tube (it was a straightforward journey, too).
    Wanstead is all trail and must be muddy as hell in winter, but today it was dry and, actually very warm. Too warm for me, really, although it was nice at the start. It's mostly flat (a couple of little dips, but no hills) but the ground is lumpy bumpy and there are tree roots to watch out for. Not a PB course,  but a nice course. As it was my first fast run since Vienna, I pushed a bit, but not too much. Did the first couple of miles in 8:22 and 8:20 but then felt tired so dialled it back slightly for the last mile (8:45) and came it at 26:08. I'm reasonably happy with that at this stage of my recovery - I had a very similar run at Wormwood Scrubs (another lumpy bumpy off-road course) two weeks after Chester.
    I felt pretty worn out once I got home so didn't go to pilates even though I was back in time. Will take it easy for the rest of the day - no sense thrashing my immune system.
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Parkrun this morning, my 50 year old self is just over a minute slower than last time I ran same course 3 years ago, I reckon I can narrow that down a bit over the next few months. 
    I froze most the energy balls but had a few after park run before running home, I liked them. I've decided my legs ache more after trying to race a 5k than they do after a long run.
    I've ordered some reusable baby food bags for some more experiments with nutrition.
    Long time ago but when I ran ultras and low key marathons I could more or less eat anything,( stopped for a Chinese takeaway once), but found it harder to get the food right if racing a marathon.
    Now sat in the garden with a beer and going to take a look at the Barkley Marathon film.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Shades - yes I’ve still got the pink socks. Hence my pirate name “pinksox” Kinda have to stay now. Might get shorter ones if it’s hot next week. 

Going run run a bit later this evening to try get some warm weather running in, possibly rest tomorrow and then I’ve entered a cycling event on Monday. 75 miles through the Essex countryside but we are going to cycle the 7 miles there and back and might make it up to 100miles for the day. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - DD is a road event so usual rules apply re drink stations. DD has 10 drink stations, water and at some a few sweets and banana. But not a selection of food, it's what is classed as a short ultra so many runners wouldn't eat at all for that distance. You will get fed mountains of food at the finish though.   Although the personal items sent to the drink stations are usually bottles, runners often attach food and gels to the bottles too and I'm sure in some instances just food.  I don't usually send anything out but carry it as I only have a few sweets. Might send out some flapjack this year, would have to be for after marathon point as I'm chasing the cut off times up to that point and no time to stop to eat.

Cal - I wonder if Nicky Spinks will have another go at Barkley, no woman has completed the event yet.

Honk - I didn't know you could get reusable baby food bags, I'll have to have a look at them.

Iain- that sounds like a great cycling event to help with the IM training.
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Enjoyed the Barclay film thanks for the recommendation.

Shades, these are what i ordered, smallest size I could find at 100ml but there are other brands if you don't mind going bigger,  Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouch - 6 Pack - 3.4 fl oz https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014UC3FTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sd0UCb538MZKA

Here's where I got the idea from with a few recipes
     https://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-running-fuel/
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Sorry not kept up with latest going on’s but wanted to say good luck to any London marathoners.

i did a 10 mile trail run at a relaxed pace today - legs felt fresh and I felt good. Lovely in the sun. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Quick pop in after a few days busy in work.
    Big G-Hope that shoulder improves,bad news about DD,hopefully rob can make it.
    Shades-Didnt realise you can send anything ahead at DD,will have a little think about what to do,only 6 weeks now.
    Khani-Not sure if you've got the dates wrong but London is next weekend.
    I've watched that documentary,really liked both about it,heard an interview with Laz last week and he thinks Jasmin Paris will be the best chance of a female finisher,looking at what she did in the spine race I can see why.
    As for me,managed a couple of runs after work this week,hoping to 14 tomorrow which will bring up 45 miles so happy with that.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Honk - those pouches are a great idea.   Pureed food is a great idea for ultra runners as it's the chewing that makes eating difficult during a run.  Even if you're not doing ultras it's a good method of eating healthier while training rather than just using sugar products.

I don't think it's for me, I'm not doing any long ultras and my ultras for the rest of the year are 32.4 miles and a 50km.   But I do love the idea of the Date Espresso and I might experiment with that for DD as that will give me my carbs and a coffee/caffeine boost too.  I so do crave a coffee during a long race and I have a couple of times had a friend give me a rocket coffee in the latter stages of DD and it really helps.

Khanivore - you've recovered so well, don't let the training ease off too much, will make it easier for you to pick it up for your ultra training later in the year.   I know it's harder for you now that you're working again, I hope you're enjoying the new job.

Ian - we will get an email with DD race info about mid May, it's very detailed.   No need for you to carry a bottle at all.  First drink station is at 4 miles and roughly every 3 miles thereafter, I think there's one section where it's 4 miles but that's because we're on very narrow roads.  I've pinched this pic of the drink station at 20 miles from the Trotters website and you can see how many runners send out their personal drinks, also just food too, bananas and gels (which answers Robert's earlier question).   

Incidentally the lady on the left is Jose Waller, multiple veteran world record holder for several distances, I went with her to Gosport when she broke the WR for the marathon at  age 75+.   The men have beer in the photo as there's a very nice pub across the road from this drink station.

Lovely morning here again, quite fresh but good running weather.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian/Robert - just a thought, have you managed to arrange early breakfast at the pub you're staying at for DD?   I am a bit concerned for you that they might have a do on the Friday night, as they have a function room that they let out for parties etc.   

If it was me I would book the Premier at the racecourse, dearer I know but 24 hour Tesco across the road to get any food supplies.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-If I remember correctly I emailed the keyberry before I booked and they said 7-9 for breakfast,I was thinking about cancelling the place and looking at an air b'n'b but then rob said he was there so decided to keep it as easier for race day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 7 am is OK for breakfast, our race start is at 9:30 so as long as that's OK for you.   

Plan is to leave at 7:30 ish to drive up to Princetown.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Honk, glad you enjoyed the documentary.  For anyone that's got Netflix, there's another documentary on there, which was filmed before the YouTube one.  It's more about the race and RD as a whole, as opposed to mainly focusing on a specific runner.  

Cal/Shades, yeah, Nicky Spinks is fantastic.  I've heard/seen a few interviews with her over the last couple of years, and she's so humble about everything she's achieved.  I also wonder if she'll go back.

Ian/Robert, as Shades said, the DD aid stations are very well organised and you can send stuff out on the course.  People send all sorts out there - one of my mates tends to keep a few old McD's bags and puts some food in those at a few of the aid stations.  I've also seen bottles of JD there too, although I'm presuming the whisky is long gone and it's an energy drink inside!  I was worrying a bit about drinks etc, but I didn't take any with me.  I did carry some Kendal Mint Cake with me (which I do on a marathon too), and that was it.

I still hope to see you all at the DD as I've put my name down for marshalling now.  I've no idea where I'll be yet, but if I can't run it, marshalling is the next best thing.  Having said that, if the race was tomorrow I wouldn't be able to marshal even (I can't drive), and I've told the Chief Marshal that it does depend on my shoulder.  I hope it'll be fine for marshalling though!

You're probably all getting a bored of my injury updates, but it's marginally better again.  Range of motion is a bit better generally as I'm aware I'm using the arm more - i.e., I used it to brush my teeth this morning.  Whoo hoo!  However, on that one exercise I mentioned the other day, the range of motion hasn't really improved at all.  I'll keep up with the exercises and see how it goes over the next few days.

It's OH's parents 50th anniversary next weekend and I'm supposed to be staying with them near Kent for a few days from next Saturday.  At the moment I don't know if I'll be able to make the journey, but as it's improving all the time, I'll decide nearer the weekend.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, date espresso sounds like trouble (of the tummy variety!) I remember making my late mother a tart that contained dates and it lead to an incontinent episode. :/
    Big G - small progress is still progress.

An early 10 miler for me. Quite fresh when I went out - I wore a T-shirt and had cold hands for the first couple of miles. Enjoyed the run but my achilles had a grumble - it has been relatively quiet for the past two days.
    I've also decided to go to yoga in an hour - I've been slacking off that (recovering from a marathon is a great excuse but sometimes you just have to kick yourself up the arse and get back out there).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good news that your shoulder is improving if only marginally and that you can move it more.  I reckon you'll be better before you get your x-ray appointment ;) 

Great news that you'll be marshalling at DD, if it's a position where you need to lift your arm to direct us make sure it's your left arm, you don't want a relapse.   I always remember you sitting at marathon point doing the timing there.

I hear the route of the Two Oceans had to be altered yesterday due to possible political unrest, but still went ahead, very hilly apparently. 

Cal - I frequently use dates in a marathon/ultra, very common fuel with ultra runners, never a problem for me.  If they caused runners trots it would have to be someone with a very fast digestive system!
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:

I'm using the arm more - i.e., I used it to brush my teeth this morning.  Whoo hoo!  

That's great news but in future, I'd recommend a toothbrush.🤣🤣🤣

I'm not familiar with the DD abreviation your all using guessing Dartmoor? Doddle? Something like that?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    HONK - Dartmoor Discovery.....local road ultra to Big G and myself.   Fabulous race.   We may encourage you to enter next year, or this year if your training has gone well.....

http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/our-races/dartmoor-discovery

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Honk, it's all the fault of Shades that the term DD is mentioned so often... ;) 

It's sold out, but there is a transfer list in operation if you're interested ;)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Really rubbish run today,couldn't seem to get going at all and a lot slower than usual.Just did 9 miles and couldn't even be bothered finishing,hopefully a combo of work and heat so be better again next few runs.
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    DD, looks a good one to bear in mind for next year.
  • Survived my 10k despite a nice cold..... 3 whole minutes than last year will do me and i have refuelled on cheeseburgers. Not to bad for a 500 foot climb race ;) 1:00:34 time
    Shades - yes windermere is my next planned marathon albeit it will be slow no doubt. 5-5.5 hours i would guess at currently, depends on weather