Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, thanks - I'll be checking out the podcasts hopefully today.  Reading the news about Sri Lanka is upsetting.  I went in 2015 and loved it and would love to go back - I was there for 10-days and didn't see everything but loved the food, the people, the sights etc.  I saw the foreign office are advising only urgent travel now.  Do you know when you look back at certain things and remember them fondly - I was in the middle of a packed bus station and basically I didn't know what to do.  Think London Victoria bus station, but twice the size, no safety barriers, busses all over the place, no signage, no maps and no obvious (to me) system.  A local person came up to me and offered me help, in English, which I grateful accepted as he pointed me in the direction of the bus I needed.  I reached for my wallet to offer a small tip, but he flatly refused it and walked off smiling - for some reason I'd assumed that he was helping, mainly hoping to get a tip, but he was genuinely just being kind.

Khani, good news about Manchester!  I'm still considering options but don't really want to sign up for anyyhign else yet until I know what's going on with this shoulder!

This injury has made me think a bit actually.  I'm obviously going for 100 marathon but imagine if this had happened when I was on 90, and had made plans for the 100th.  Nightmare, but I suppose these things happen and I imagine other runners would understand, even if they'd made plans to come and celebrate it.  Not ideal though :(  The more I think of it though, the more I think I may just do things very low key, if/when I get to the 100th.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-My daughter spent some time there in 2017 and really enjoyed it,she kept telling us how nice the place was,and talked us into going there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I saw that clip with the treadmill too.  How stupid was that with an important race a couple of days away, it's easy enough to pick up a niggle without throwing yourself on a treadmill.   The guy next to him does look calm and seems to find the pace easy.

Just as well you hadn't booked, travel insurance can be tricky at times to recoup losses.

Cal - I do hope the shoes do work for you, you've suffered a lot after Vienna although some of that must have been all that time on your feet on the day you went to the Park.

You are right, it won't be helping Farah's mindset for the race, if anything it will be damaging.   He should take a leaf out of Kipchoge's book, he stays calm and focussed.   Your lucky friend, I bet Kipchoge was charming and polite.

Years ago when I was contemplating running my first ultra I was reading a book on ultras and the author said, make sure you have a clear mind before you start the race so nothing is niggling your brain and he said, pay the bills, make any overdue phone calls etc., so that your mind is not full of unfinished business which will detract from your focus on race day.

Big G - once you get into the 90's it does turn you into a hypochondriac and a nervous wreck.  But no need to keep plans low key, just have a few weeks between 99 and 100 and that covers most injuries but also gives you time to postpone the 100th should you need to.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, do you have other destinations in mind?

Shades, that's a good quote about unfinished business.  Can't understand Mo really.  I know it's all marketing/promo and the organisers are trying to pump up the feeling of competition with Kipchoge, but did you see that the media had the pair squaring up as if they were boxers before a fight?  It's a bit cringe worthy! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-We were talking about somewhere in Asia,maybe Vietnam or Cambodia area.Ideally we want beach for a few days with stuff to go sightseeing.I also like the idea of Costa Rica for some reason but don't know anyone who's been there.
    Got my 5k race tonight,last year 18:30 would be about halfway out of the 550 runners,so a high quality race,and the summer version had the fastest 5k in the UK last year at 13:45
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, if you go for Vietnam let me know as I can possibly give a few tips.

Got an appointment for a scan - it’s 26/6!  After a lot of ringing around to various people (GP, physio, fracture clinic, consultant secretary) that’s the absolute earliest they can do - originally I was given a July date.  I was close to getting one for May at one point, but then the person realised that the clinics were closed due to key people being on holiday. I do have a physio appointment next Wednesday so maybe I’ll see what she says and if it’s no better in her eyes, maybe go to minor injuries then. Times like this are when I wish I had private cover!  I have this feeling that probably people are hoping it clears up on its own with rest etc. The thing is, generally speaking there is an improvement over the last week - there have been days when I’ve taken a step back, but overall there is improvement as I’m taking a lower dosage of the cocodamol now. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - 2 months, that is a very long wait. 

It's not so much the waiting for a scan/x-ray but still not having a diagnosis.
    Hopefully the physio can help next week either with a diagnosis or a quicker way of getting one.
    I don't suppose that going to Minor Injuries clinic would help now, at best you might get an x-ray, but you wouldn't get a scan.

Shoulder injuries are notoriously slow to heal.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, not entirely sure what is going on but I’ve today received an X-ray appointment for 7/5, in the post, at Totnes hospital. I’ll go to that, and then keep the 26/6 appointment incase I need the scan. I know an X-ray isn’t ideal but at least it’s something, and then alongside the physio maybe I’ll get somewhere before 26/6.  Not sure why this wasn’t explained over the phone earlier, but 7/5 is obviously better. Also, as the shoulder is a bit better than last week, maybe the physio will be able to more thoroughly do an assessment, which she wasn’t able to do last week due to the pain I was in. 

I’ve also today picked up some more pain relief as I was running out. Got enough for about a month now, as I’m taking a lower dose than what was prescribed originally (the GP did tell me to lower the dose if I was able to).  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good news on the X-ray at Totnes. That's a nice little hospital.  Typical NHS admin though. 

I think those painkillers are highly addictive, hence GP wanting you to reduce dose when you can.  Good that you're able to cut down on dosage.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, when I did my back in a few years ago, I was told to be wary of these tablets due to them being addictive, but this around time I wasn't warned of that.  They were mentioned on a recent TV programme I think, partly in relation to people getting medication over the internet and getting addicted, so I've halved the dosage but increased normal paracetamol (the capsules include paracetamol so I'm still within the allowable daily guidelines for that).  The last thing I want is to develop a dependency on these things, so I was monitoring the pain quite carefully to reduce the dosage as soon as I could.  It's funny how it plays on the mind though - I was second-guessing myself, because after a few days I had a bad day with the pain, so still kept the higher dosage going, but I started questioning myself about if the pain was really that bad or if I was looking for excuses to take them (I know the pain was that bad, but it was just playing on my mind a bit!).  But I've now gone a day on the lower dosage and the pain is manageable still.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I watched Casualty on Saturday and there was a woman who had become addicted after breaking her ankle... the things you learn from the telly.
    But it's easy to see how quickly it can  happen and they become a habit taking them just in case, without assessing the pain level first.

But you must take them if you're in pain.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sounds like your managing the injury the best you can,that's all you can do.
    Mid-Cheshire 5k tonight,its renowned as a very fast course,it has a net downhill of about 40ft,previous PB was 18:50 last August.Based on my recent 10k I felt 18:20ish was a good target to aim at.Split it into 2 sections,the 1st and last km were downhill so wanted 3:30/km pace and the uphill 3 at 3:45 pace
    Start is very packed with lots of jostling to get going but after a bit I was in a nice stride,1km down in 3:26,the uphol I barely noticed and suddenly at 4km I was at 14:28 and feeling strong,dare I go for sub 18? Of course I put the foot down and done the last km in 3:24(5.24 mile) and finished in 17:52.Really don't understand how I can do that with no speed training at all.
    To show the depth if the field I finished 196/757
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that is a fantastic time!!!  Very well done!!  A 58-sec PB is massive at that pace.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - wow, sub 18, fabulous running and a massive PB for 5km distance, that's something like a 5% improvement :o:) 

I just ran your time through the WAVA and race calculator and wow again.   Who needs speed training!!!

That is a really class race, fast runners must really target that race.

Rest day for me today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Thanks a lot,I'm really happy and shocked in equal measure,even allowing for the net downhill it would come out about 18:05.
    I checked my wava last night and seen it was about 80%  :) 
    It attracts runners from all over the country,which is rare for a short distance,sub 15 barely got you inside the top 20.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Absolutely brilliant, Ian!
    Yeah, there are some blisteringly fast runners out there. I do the weekly results round-up for my club and last week at Dulwich (one of the fastest courses in London), one of our guys ran a sub-17 and only came 13th. Nuts.

Speaking of parkrun, I trekked to Banstead Woods which is just outside London and famous for its bluebells (and with good reason - it is carpeted with them). I was pleased to bump into some of the regulars from my local, Tooting, who I've also bumped into at other parkruns, so I was able to get a lift home with them instead of a three-train journey.
    The course is full trail but dry this time of year, with one testing hill and a long downhill (I find downhills tricky once they get beyond a level of steepness I'm comfortable with - my slowest pacing was on that section). I ran 26:04 which is about standard for a course with a hill or two, so happy enough with that.
  • Ian cracking run well done! I always use the excuse of I've done no speed training for when I fancy having a go at my 5k/ parkrun... thats put that excuse to shame lol Thats some field too.

Cal, love bluebells, one of my favourite memories from NDW50 last year was miles of them and smells of wild garlic.

Big G hopefully can you keep on requesting for any drop out appointments?

Shades, funny you should say about what you learn from TV, I've been binge watching Line Of Duty, I was impressed with the amount of work that went in cracking the case I was jury for, although its based on true life stories it may be stretched a tad but the thoughts that go in by all parties are astounding.

parkrun this morning, woke up later than planned, had to do set up, watch wasn't charged so ran naked.  A steady 24.55 and after the 1km mark only overtook people no one passed.  Foot felt good during the run and i'd class it as 2/10 pain at the moment which is brilliant.

One of my club mates I met recently (also a member of 100 club) is having a go at putting on an event https://www.5riverschallenge.com/ 10k, half and marathon self navigation (mid sept) £22/£24 should be a laugh.

Early start tomorrow, got to get coach from club at 6.30 for marathon, mile 16-17 hope the weathers okay for everyone involved.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, good luck tomorrow!  Yes, I'm on a list should anyone drop cancel their appointment.
  • Early bird price for Paris 90euros I know USA big marathons are generally even higher! 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's OH's parents 50th anniversary this weekend and they're having a celebration near Kent for a few days.  I've had to do not go, which I'm gutted about, and I hope they're okay with it.  It's a 4.5hr drive and yesterday the shoulder was bad with just a 30-min drive to Brixham for a short walk (and cake, which eased the shoulder a bit...).  4.5hrs in a car would do it no favours, so I've had to not go :(  If it had been a couple of hours I'd have gone, but it's too far for me at the moment.

Speaking of wild garlic etc, one of my favourite trails near me will be full of garlic and bluebells now.  If I'd been running I'd have definitely done a couple of runs out that way - that is the main thing I'm missing about not running at the moment!  It's the best time of year!  I'd be out there, not caring about pace, and loving it.

In my back garden at the new house, there's this - anyone know what it is?  As I'm crap at gardening etc, I've no idea.  When we moved in it was quite bare, but it came up like this very quickly, over a week or so.  The second picture shows the next project that I'd hoped to be getting on with.  See all that decking?  It needs to come out, as it's rotten (we knew this be bought the place)!  Shame as it was probably quite expensive to buy/fit as there's a lot of it, but there's no ventilation underneath it due to weeds etc, and it just rots from underneath.  It's a deathtrap at the moment, especially when it's wet as it's so slippery, so probably hasn't been treated.  Obviously, it's not going to be done any time soon!  There's too much of it anyway for my liking so I was hoping to revert the garden to a more normal garden, with possibly just one bit of decking at the top as the views up there over the bay are quite nice.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - I'm a big fan of crime stuff, books and telly.  Line of Duty is one of my favourites.

2/10 is very promising, we'll have you running those Dartmoor hills yet.

90 Euro is quite a lot for an early bird entry fee, especially as many UK runners will have to fork out for the medical certificate too.  

Enjoy yourself tomorrow, will be a long and tiring day, but enjoyable.

Big G- sorry to hear you're not able to go to the celebrations this weekend but that's a long drive to endure.

Beautiful shrub but sorry absolutely no idea what it is.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-hope the pain stays at a 2,must be a relief.
    Big G-Certainly wasn't a good day to run up here today,went to go for a few miles and a wheelie bin flew past me,decided it wasn't safe enough as the storm was staying strong all day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow Big G, that's a beautiful shrub (I'm not a gardener, sorry...no idea what it is). Sorry about missing the anniversary.
    Good luck, Iain.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've got my tracker sorted for London and I'm looking forward to watching on TV, although I wish I was in the race!  Weather conditions there look okay, judging from the BBC site anyway.  Biggest potential issue appears to be the wind, but it's not forecast to be horrendously bad as far as I can tell - let's hope it's not too bad for the runners.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - wheelie bins are dangerous, we have boxes here that skid across the street in high winds and threaten to kneecap any unsuspecting passer-by or runner.

Big G - likewise tracker all set and will watch on TV the main broadcast and record the elite race on RB. I keep that recording as I like to watch it a few times.  But I'm glad I'm not there, no desire to run it again.
    I got up early for my run so I'd be ready to hit the sofa now.
    I don't think the wind is an issue in London, plenty of shelter from buildings and other runners, only exception is up the Embankment which is always breezy.
    At least they can't use heat as an excuse this year.

Looking forward to a  good race.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    The ballot for next year is already open :)  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, not quite - Blackheath is very open and Canary Wharf is a wind tunnel. I was getting blown all over the shop during the Big Half. However, it's not really windy today so they'll be OK.

I had in my mind that I'd do 15 today but I had a restless night and wasn't feeling it this morning. None of my usual routes appealed so I decided I'd go and flog myself around Streatham Common as it had been a while. I did three laps (incorporating the main bit of the common and the cross country section through the woods) so each lap had two big climbs, the second of which being rather technical. I got through it OK but still had quite a few miles left and I just wasn't in the mood, so I compromised and did 13 (well, a half marathon in fact).
    One thing was, when I first started the run, I got about half a mile in when my Garmin beeped at me, threatening to go into Power Save mode, so I obviously hadn't pressed the start button properly. So I walked back home and started again. I'm not diagnosed by I possess a number of autistic traits and I guess this was one instance. While I could have carried on, the mile beeps would have been in the wrong place and it would have eaten at me all the way through the run that I'd done half a mile unlogged. Eh...well.
    Right, time to watch the marathon.
  • that is true cos i just entered the ballot ;)

Now to go shop then work out wut to do next, not been for a run since last sunday cos been lazy, getting over cold and er playing civ 6 most of yesterday (yes 12+ hours straight)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I’ve entered it too Keith :)

I’m using my time off to plough through box sets I’ve not seen. I’m currently on Better Call Saul....10 episodes yesterday :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Big G - and have you entered? What date is next year's race?

They're expecting even more entries in the ballot as next year is the 40th running of the event.

Cal - it's so crowded in London marathon that the wind is not really an issue, Blackheath is at the start and you are jam packed for the first few miles. I saw some footage of the Big Half and the runners had lots more room to run than in VLM . The main reason I hate London marathon is the congestion when running.  Last time I ran we were slowed to a walk at 20ish miles due to congestion and now there are even more runners.

Keith - get out for a run  ;)