Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

Ian hope the rest done some good after your busy Spring schedule.  Other than shockwave I've not had any treatment, the injection is on offer but it's just a pain relief but I'm not in too much pain.

Shades woke this morning and been doing a lot of stretching and the niggle has gone.  Will try a short run at lunch and see what happens, will decide by sunday on DD, if I can get a swap before the 28th great but not the end of the world.

OTB thanks for popping by, not ran any of the Jurassic but heard its pretty brutal! 

Big G, that back yard race sounds similar to one I was considering https://www.challenge-running.co.uk/races/last-one-standing-england/ again 4 mile loops but the winners usually 'only' go for 35ish in England

Webby cheers, been suffering a while now but starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Just been for a niggle and pain free 4.4 mile run, I'm starting to think I was feeling a bit run down last week and that has had an affect on my foot, on Saturday's parkrun I was feeling fatigued, I even walked for 50 meters.  Felt fresh this morning and foot seemed better, few stretches and felt good again.  

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, the turnaround point at Coypool does seem to vary by a few yards. This time Lesley was manning that point and car was close to path end.  They were short of helpers this weekend so for August events I'm going to run on the Saturday and marshal on the Sunday.

I worry a bit when you start reading the Barkley stuff! There is a LOS, Last One Standing, event in this country, think it's 4.2 miles each hour that is required if you want to have a go. Robert has put the link up while I wandered off to make coffee.

Re Rob Young, I'm sure his support team were responsible for any 'cheating'. Tempers are frayed as tiredness takes over and everyone just wants it to end ASAP.

Webby - that 'working from home' is really useful to us runners 😉

Robert - it's a tough decision to make re DD, we've all had to make similar decisions re races.  I DNS'd DD last year due to not recovering quickly enough after tonsillitis and I've DNS'd a few times due to injury.  

Your foot seems really temperamental and unpredictable.  
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Webby, he's a young runner and works very hard.  He didn't have a great year last year, for him (he detonated at London and was over 3hrs), but he's bounced back and did 2:30:41 at London this year, finishing in 100th position and also he currently holds the quickest marathon time in the Run Britain rankings for the U23 age group (he's 21).  His Mum is the secretary of my club so was at the committee meeting last night, and she said that Pro Direct have been keeping their eye on him for some time, and contacted him after London.

Seeing all your comments I'm going to raise it again about the records at the next meeting next month.  Basically, he wrote a letter and suggested the records shouldn't count, and that was what was agreed after not a lot of discussion.  The main thing that was agreed immediately was that we obviously wouldn't stand in his way for the sponsorship!  I think what slightly impacted the discussion was that we had just spent a lot of time discussing another runner who had made a complaint about not getting enough recognition for his achievements (which, I have to say, I was very perplexed at the thought of making a complaint about something like that...).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, ha, I've absolutely no intention of doing any of his events.  Even the process of entering Barkley is shrouded in secrecy - I think there is a specific date when entries open for one day only, and that date is not published anywhere as far as I know.  You've then also got to write an essay about why you think you should be allowed to run the race etc.  I get the feeling that it's all happened organically, but he has somehow managed to create a mystique/secrecy around his races, even though there is now a Netflix documentary about it!
  • Options

Big G There is also a LOS in Ireland (where atlas running are based)  if that rocks your boat.  The thought of anything like Barkley holds very little interest for me, I like my routes signposted, good aid stations and only mildly challenging.

What a great opportunity for YT, we have the rule in place that records only count in club colours.  Will ProDirect expect him to run for them as a club name?  You can also only get a club record if you're listed as a WJ in the results (so no 2nd claim).

Shades, I'm feeling positive after the run today in general (rather than DD specific) as it still means I am able to run pain free which is something I couldn't see happening a month ago.  DD isn't too much outlay at the moment (only train and entry) so not too bothered by losing the entry fee if I have to.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that's basically the same as our club rules, but I suppose rules are there to be changed, or at least questioned to see if they're still valid.  I'll do it next time.  I'm not sure if he'll be down as Pro Direct in the results, although he has said he won't be entering as a Trotter.  But I don't know if this is because Pro Direct are expecting him to be in their team (if they have one), or if he's just decided that himself, knowing he won't be in club kit.  

I'm the same as you regarding routes, but I'm much more "anti-offroad" then you are I think!  Having said that, I did two LDWA events/marathons last year and did enjoy them both, although I was running/walking in a group the whole way around, so not self-navigating.  One of them was about on the limit of what I find enjoyable - we weren't particularly messing around but it took is nearly 7hrs, and it was very hard going underfoot.  I DNSd day two as my ankles were very sore as I'm just not used to the off-road stuff.  Talking about getting lost, I today listened to a podcast with Nicky Spinks, and she said it was a massive learning point when she got lost in an area that she knew (i.e., she wan't really lost and knew how to get back to the car).  But she had to find a particular point using a map and compass, and the first time she did that it gave her the confidence to go on and do some of the other stuff she's become known for.
  • Options
    Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Robert - Good job on the pain free run

Shades - I have a 1.5 hour commute each way to the office 3 days a week so working from home days are a blessing, little bit of a lie in and able to get out for a run at a reasonable time.

Big G - That's an amazing time for YT, at such a young age as well. Must have great dedication to avoid all the usual temptations of going out with friends etc at that age. I know physical exercise was way down on my list of things to do at 21! 

I agree about it being a bit odd to complain about not getting recognition, seems a bit ego drive to me. It's always nice for people to comment on achievements but surely results should be for yourself primarily not just so other people can tell you how great you are!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Webby, yes, I agree.  I'd imagine we all enjoy getting nice comments, but to then complain to the club about not getting the recognition he thought he was due seemed a bit off to me.  The chap in question has apparently said he's not going to race in our club kit any more due to this issue, but 100MC kit instead, so the Chairman has asked him if he wants to swap to 100MC as first claim, as doing what he is proposing is against our club rules if he remains a first claim Trotter (if you're first claim, you have to run in club kit).  That particular rule will definitely not be changed for anyone as Chair is very strict on that particular one.

Regarding the Young Trotter, he is very disciplined.  Shades knows him too as he went to Frankfurt marathon with a few from her club last year and from memory did about 2:40 there.  He's very dedicated, doing 100 miles a week most weeks, and peaked at around 130 I think.  In the build up to London he did a 1:09 Half and he really thinks there's more to come as he says he's got a lot to learn at the marathon (he went off too quickly at London and did slow quite a lot in the second half).

I used to be press secretary for my club and did an interview with him.  It's a couple of years old now, but you can probably get a flavour of where he's coming from in this.
    http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/news/latest-news-updates/first-chance-10k

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sunrise run this morning - 8 miles with 6 at MP. Had good energy in the legs from the get-go. I'm quite surprised I feel this good so soon after a tough half, but perhaps that's because I only did 34 miles last week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice running there Cal.  How are you feeling about the marathon coming up?

Dentist appointment for me this morning  :(  It's 3.5 miles away, so I'm going to walk there and back to get a 3rd walk done in a row.  Progress, of sorts!  I'm still on the painkillers though as without them the shoulder becomes painful.  When I say painful, I mean 2 or 3 out of 10, so bearable.  At the start it was 10 out of 10, even with the painkillers, but the range of motion still isn't right.  I've also not noticed any improvement in the speed/strength as such, in that I can't move the arm at a normal speed when I'm doing the exercises, and that aspect hasn't improved really over the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Big G - What kind of recognition does he want? mention in the club news? party with banners? I agree about the club kit, if his first claim is your club, he should run in those colours.

Great article about Young Trotter. Seems like he has a wise head on young shoulders, seems very grounded and taking a good structured approach to his plans. Hope he achieves his goals

Cal - good to hear you're recovering well from Gatwick, have you got any other races planned in this year?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I can understand the club rule about wearing club kit when setting club records, as with Robert's club too, but surely that rule is assuming that the runner if not wearing his say Trotters club kit but wearing another club's kit.   But in YT's case, he won't be wearing any club kit, he'll be wearing sponsored kit from Pro Direct.   I'm pretty sure Pro Direct don't have a running club either with UKA or ARC.
    Also if he's not entering races under his affiliated club he won't appear in the rankings, many don't care about that, but if someone is hoping to be spotted for future development then he needs to be on the ranking lists with RunBritain.  And if Pro Direct want him to showcase at big events then surely they would want him to be in the rankings.

Very strange that other Trotter complaining that he is not getting enough recognition.  I don't know the situation but I would guess there's another issue behind that complaint.   If he switches to 100MC he'll get less recognition or publicity for his running achievements.  In the 100MC there are no press reports, club news would only be for those achieving milestones such as 100/500/1000 marathons.  I always think the Trotters are very inclusive for all runners and their achievements. 

Robert - good that you remain positive about your running, and you are recovering well, just maybe not as quickly as you would have liked.   If you have to cancel DD, can you get a refund on your train fare?

Webby - that's a long commute, you deserve as many days as possible working from home.   My last job before I retired was one mile from my home, I used to drive there, but if the lights were green I could be home in 3 minutes, bliss.   Time is valuable.

Cal - lovely sunrise here too, good that you've recovered a bit more quickly this time, maybe you just a couple of weeks slightly off colour.

Rest day for me, apart from circuits which were good.  
  • Options
    Looking to shift my DD place, keeping an eye on the waitlist and posted on the FB page.  Need to focus on just getting stronger without the distraction of DD.  The train is non refundable so if the place doesnt go then I'll re consider with a few days to spare.

Cal, Liverpool is a bit lumpy I believe? have you set any goals?

Big G, great you're able to walk distances. Next week my train service changes to a bus service so going to consider walking more of the journey until I get a car.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - does the person on the waitlist already have a place being transferred?   

That's a shame about the train fare.    
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Webby, oh god yes. Liverpool Marathon, followed two weeks later by the Weald Challenge (trail, half - my first proper trail race so I'll be taking it very easy), some club races (Bridges relay - a 2.3 mile relay race, and the other two races in the Wimbledon trail series, one 5 miles like the first one and the other, 8 miles), and the Harry Hawkes 10 mile. And that's just June (aside from the 8 mile trail race which is the beginning of July). Oh and the club 5K track meet - can't remember when that is. I'll do the mile relays too, whenever that is. Relays are enormous fun.
    I've not booked anything after that until September when I'm doing the Richmond Running Festival half. Yorkshire Marathon is 20th October so may squeeze another half in before then.

Rob, I sympathise - I lost my air fare when I had to bail on Valencia. :/ Liverpool is a bit lumpy - not really a PB race especially as it tends to be warm, but I will see how I feel. Sub 4:15 would be great, but I only have to beat 4:22:22 for a course best.

I had a look at my marathon stats this morning. For Chester, where I ran a slight neg split (my only one in a marathon) I got to 13 miles at just over 2:04, whereas in Vienna I got there at 2:01 before disintigrating at 18 miles. So I think I should aim for 2:03-2:04 in Liverpool given there's a big hill at 12 miles. If it's warm, though, I will likely slow down.
    Hot pilates time. Blah.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Webby, he was mentioned in the weekly report with a picture, and also when he got his 100th marathon the club organised a celebration for him last summer on one of the club nights. 

Shades, every Wednesday before training, Chairman does what he calls "a shout".  This has always been about if someone placed in a race, broken a club record, won an age group prize, and he mentions team prizes too, and he hands out any prizes or club awards to the people involved.  It's always been like this as far as I know - i.e., if someone gets "just" a PB, it's not mentioned on Wednesday night (it goes in the press and on the website though). So, along those same lines, Chairman didn't specifically mention an achievement of his (completing a 10-in-10) on the Wednesday night - I don’t know if it was a conscious thing not to mention it, or he just automatically stuck to the usual things about records etc without thinking too much about it, but I certainly believe there was no malicious intent.  Chair also didn't create a new club record category for it as Club records only contain 10k, 10 milers, Half and marathon - always has been that way as far as I know.  There’re no records for doubles, quads etc, although a new 10-in-10 club record was requested, but Chair said no.  Of course, there was a point in recent times when our YT (and also HA for the ladies) were getting mentioned a lot on the Wednesday nights, as they were breaking club records regularly, so it may seem that we celebrate the quicker runners more in that one aspect on the Wednesday nights. I think we're a very inclusive club too, and PBs and everything else are mentioned in the press etc.  But he was saying that because he’s on the slow side, he doesn’t get the recognition a faster runner does regarding records etc. 

Having written all that, I think it possibly sounds a bit petty, but those two things are where the issue has come from.  I suppose we’re a big club and can’t please everyone!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it's a tricky time of year for trying to decide on marathon pace, we can go from good/perfect conditions to warm or even hot in one week.

Big G - crikey, I know who you're talking about now and I'm really surprised that it's him.   Maybe he expected more when he did his 100th in a relatively short time, although lots of runners have done that, not necessarily Trotters though.   I'm not sure about having a 10 in 10 record, there would only be a couple of runners that would consider doing that, and that's not necessarily due to running ability, some have other considerations such as their job/child care etc that would make 10 days away from home impossible.  If there was a record for 10 in 10 then there would be requests for 3 in 3 days, 4 in 4 days etc.

I reckon his complaint stems from when he was doing his 100 marathons.   But his photo was in the paper every week, with that same set face ;)  and there was a night out for him.    Not sure how many in the Trotters have done their 100 now, maybe 10 or so?    I think I was 2nd and the first female as I was first claim Trotter at the time.

New fridge freezer delivered, only went into the shop yesterday and I could have had it delivered yesterday afternoon but I requested this morning 10-12 and they arrived at one minute to 10, great service.  :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think that was Chair's point about then getting requests for doubles, quads etc.  Don't get me wrong, of course a 10-in-10 is a huge achievement and I can't ever imagine doing that, but I suppose it's just getting a balance and Chair has drawn the line where he sees fit.  As it happens, I agree with where he's drawn the line and ultimately it's him that has to maintain all these stats!  It's 8 Trotters who have done 100 marathons now, with 3 more aiming for this year's DD as their 100th.
    http://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/about/club-data/stats

It's funny as I know we've talked about what motivates people before, especially in the social media age, but I was listening to another podcast this morning relating to Barkley Marathons.  It was an interview with one of the very few people who have ever completed the race - John Kelly.  Probably what makes his story a bit special is that he tried it twice and failed to finish but came back the third time and finished it.  That takes a certain something I think.  He said that although the press and adulation he got was very nice, it didn't mean much to him and wasn't why he did it.  He did it just to see what his limits were.  He knew deep down that he'd done something very few have ever managed, and he was proud of himself, and it gave him the confidence to do whatever he wanted in life, not just running.  That was more than enough for him.  

He has done Ironman as well, and he said something amusing - he said that the first loop of the Barkley was equivalent in effort to about one Ironman.  Don't forget that one loop is only about 25 miles.  But then each loop is harder again, and it gets exponentially harder, until he then said that the fifth loop is literally the hardest thing he's ever done.  Tiredness (it took him just under 60hrs to do the 5 loops, with about 1hr of sleep in total), hallucinations, navigation/map reading in the dark, being on his own in what let's face it must be a pretty scary place, as well as it being obviously hard on the body.  He said at one point he looked at his watch and then he looked at it again in what he thought were a few seconds later, but in fact 20-mins had gone by.  He doesn't think he laid down to sleep, but he thinks he was probably just wandering around in the woods for 20-mins, in a very sleep-like state.  He doesn't know!  He just said it took all his effort to put one foot in front of the other.  Anything else he couldn't cope with - it was too hard to maintain any focus on anything else at all, except literally putting one foot in front of the other.  He'd already decided he wasn't going to quit, no matter what, so one foot in front of the other was all he had to do.  Absolutely amazing/crazy story.
  • Options
    OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advise everyone.
    Booked, River Meon Marathon Sunday 2nd June!

Will try my hardest to not get sucked into racing it.

I've just been looking over the latest marathon list above, some excellent times there.
    Would still love to do a sub-4 marathon. I'll most likely have another crack next year either Brighton or London.
    Hoping all this training will kick my performance up an notch.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well plenty of Trotters stats there. And the previously discussed Trotter gets a mention for most marathons in a year.  Maybe he's got plans to do the 20 next year and wants to pave the way for some glory perhaps.
    Chair emailed me a couple of years ago asking for the date I did my 100th so no surprise to see those stats.

Re Barkley, I remember seeing John Kelly DNF in that YouTube film and he was so pale and completely wiped out you could see that there was no way he could continue. So admiral to be back the next year and win it, unfinished business.

I'm still wondering what you're suddenly going to surprise us with goal wise after listening to all those podcasts.  :o

OTB - great news, I'll add it to the list.

You know that a sub 4 is within your capabilities so you'll be able to work towards that at a later date.

All that training you're doing is all miles in the bank and making you stronger.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I reckon the training will come together, OTB.  Why not possibly consider an Autumn marathon for a sub-4 attempt?  There are some nice ones around, and on PB potential courses.  I've not done Chester, but that's a PB course and a well respected/organised race.  I did York and although I didn't run well myself there last year, it's a PB course.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Cross post Shades.  He did put a post on facebook about 20 in 20.  But he's also said he's doing an Ironman next year, so I'm not sure how the training would go together.  He reckons he could do well at Ironman but he obviously needs to train for it (he's said this too, which is good!).  I think if I was him my next goal would be to get under 4hrs at an event (his 1st marathon is still his quickest time), but I know we're all different and have different things that drive us.

Yes, John Kelly coming back from that year being totally wiped out (he reminded me of a zombie!) and then doing the full course the next year is amazing.  To put himself through it, knowing what it is he's letting himself in for, takes a certain kind of personality I think.  No, I've no daft plans - just very keen to get back to marathons and getting to that 100.  That's my main goal, with I suppose an equal goal to see if I can get PBs along the way at certain events.  I've just enjoyed learning the story of the Barkley and the types of people that do that sort of thing!
  • Options

Cal that's a busy trail summer you have! Great way to get some miles in, great strength work and so much more social and laid back. Hope you enjoy it.  When I booked the train I knew there was a risk of losing it so not too upset about it.

Shades, emailed the one on the w/l unfortunately in progress of one.  Great service on the fridge freezer, does this mean more x training in the shops required to fill it.

Big G people who have the trotters tattoo have any of them fallen out with the club or feel odd turning up to another club lol. A question was asked the other week on joggers facebook page about records after marathon distance, see trotters stop at marathon distance too.

Managed another 4.5 miles at lunch, foot feels okay again.  Gives me false hope for DD!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-thats a lot of races,after DD I've not really got anything planned until Frankfurt.
    First run in a week today,expected to sail around all refreshed but instead it felt really tough,very warm up here today so wouldn't have helped,hopefully its shaken off the cobwebs anyway.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yes, there has been one that I know of that left the club having got a tattoo.  He left and went and set up his own club nearby and Shades runs for that club now.  I happened to bump in to him at the London expo in 2017 and we had a good chat about running and stuff.  He was on the committee and did the Club Champs role, which is what I do now, and from memory I think I took over the press role from him when he was still in the club.  He did lots of other stuff for the club too, but decided to move on. 

The 100MC chap I mentioned above got a Trotter tattoo last year, so if he ends up leaving that’ll be another one (not that I’ve heard anything about him leaving!). 

I haven’t got any tattoos but (very briefly!) thought about getting a club one.  I wouldn’t get one though as although I love the Trotters, you never know what may happen.  IE, I’ve recently moved just a few miles down the road and have already joined another club as second claim for ease of training!  I’m fairly involved in various aspects but if I ever had to move further away for any reason, I expect I’d just find a local club, join them first claim, and that would be that.  Even if I had to move to Plymouth or Exeter (which are only around 30-miles away), I expect I'd still find a local club and join first claim, as there are some decent clubs around those areas.  Where I've moved to now is still very easy to get to Trotters, and I'd miss all the committee stuff if I left.  Having said that, I explained all this to my new second claim club, and I think they only half jokingly said that I could join their committee if I was first claim!  They're quite a new club and are finding their feet, and implied a bit of experience may be helpful!

Physio today, and then it's the Devon County Show near Exeter.  I've lived in Devon most of my life, but it was the first time I went to the show last year.  Loved it, so going back again.  Lots of food and drink to try and as well as all the show aspects, it's a massive event locally.

Before that, I'm going for a walk for about 6-miles.  and will probably listen to another Podcast :)  It's just popped up on my phone that MarathonTalk have interviewed Nicky Spinks for this week's episode, and she'll be talking about her Barkley experience on that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I thought it was this year that he was going to do the IM, but of course that does need a long and well planned training period so I might have got that wrong.  
    I agree he should take this opportunity to get a better marathon time, will help his other races, but I suspect that if he's doing the events that he is with the 100MC lot that do them then he's probably not training much or at all.  But of course that's entirely his choice.

Hope the physio goes well and enjoy the Devon County Show, all that food :)

Robert - shame about not having a transferee at the moment, hope you get one although it often gets harder as the race gets nearer as it's not really a race that runners do on the spur of the moment.

I have indeed been cross training this morning with a bigger than usual food shop to fill up the new fridge freezer :) 

The guy who started my running club did so after a falling out with the Trotters, but he's still proud of his tattoo, we discussed it once as he thought I would have a Trotters tattoo as I was a Trotter for several years.   I don't like tattoos so never even considered it.

Ian - I'm sure once you've recovered from DD you'll book a few more races in the autumn.   I expect for 2020 you've already got Bolton pencilled in. 

I have cancelled my Thursday Pilates for the next few weeks, not sure if it was responsible for that random calf pain last weekend so I'm erring on the side of caution, anyway after this weekend my next two races are on the Saturday and that would be too close.   

Did my lovely 6 mile very hilly run through Abbotskerswell this morning, first couple of miles felt quite tough today but then the last 4 miles went really well.  Such a gorgeous time of year and beautiful sunrise too.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have to say I couldn’t help but laugh one time I spoke to him recently. He was preparing for his 10 in 10 but he said he was tapering and I’m afraid I couldn’t stop myself from asking ‘tapering from what??!’.  He does next to nothing in the week.  To be honest I’ve always got on well with him, so was surprised about this recent turn of events. 

Ended up doing an 8 mile walk this morning. I’ll see what physio says but I may go to parkrun this weekend, but wear running stuff (previous weeks I’ve been in walking boots). Walk there, and then run/walk around parkrun and walk back. It’s only an idea, so I’ll see nearer the time but it feels like that sort of thing may be getting close. Don’t want to blow it though by coming back too soon so I’ll see what the physio says and how I’m feeling on Saturday. 
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - What podcasts have you been listening too? Would be good to catch some of those Barkley ones!
    Final Vo2 max session of the plan today, 2*1200 (4:21/4:20), 2*1000 (3:36/3:42) and 1*800 (2:54), happy with that as all sub 6 min/mile pace, 9 miles in total. Nice to be able to run without the headtorch too!!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, it’s episodes 82, 151, 152 and 154 of Bad Boy Running podcasts (all of these interviews were superb), plus 488 of Marathon Talk.