Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Big G - Thanks, already listen to Marathon Talk, so will listen to that today/tomorrow. I'll check out Bad Boy Running too!!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-how have you found BBR? I've started listening to a few more of theirs now,the had the guy who's responsible for the Nike shoes on one last week.
    Shades-Bolton?hope that's a typo as I've heard theres a marathon there that's crazy hilly.
    I have a few ideas post DD but unsure whether to do a summer marathon or concentrate on some shorter races while having a good long prep for Frankfurt/New York.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah I’ve enjoyed their podcasts. Light hearted and some good guests. 

Physio went well and she’s given me two of those physio bands to build up some strength, with 3 different exercises. I was hoping for this, so I’m happy about that. She had the results of the X-ray and told me to keep the scan I’ve booked in June. She doesn’t know if the calcification is ‘incidental’ (IE if I’ve had it for some time and it’s nothing to do with the injury) or if it did cause the injury. Possible op to get rid of it if it’s the cause of the injury, but the scan will tell me more. 

I mentioned run/walking around parkrun and she said it would be ok to do that if I felt I could, so I’ll probably do that if I feel ok on Saturday. 

She wants me to go back in two weeks to see how I’m doing, but she was pleased with the progress again. So apart from the calcification and possible operation (which I’m trying to put to the back of mind!) it was a good meeting. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - great training.  It's straight from head torch to sunglasses now.

Ian - yes Bolton, I'm on the mailing list but won't necessarily run it next year.

https://www.boltonmarathon.com

20th September 2020, there's nothing on the website except to sign up for the emails but on FB they say they want to bring back the road marathon that was so popular in the 80's.  On FB they've shown the finishing times for the first 90 runners in 1981 and they're all sub 2:46, different world then.  So looks like they are planning a fast course.

I think you can look at their page on FB without signing up to FB
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-They get some very good guests for a newish podcast,htink 1 of them must have some contacts.
    Shades-Ah ok,I thought you were talking about this one
    https://www.time2runevents.co.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=224860

• Options
    OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    I reckon the training will come together, OTB.  Why not possibly consider an Autumn marathon for a sub-4 attempt?  There are some nice ones around, and on PB potential courses.  I've not done Chester, but that's a PB course and a well respected/organised race.  I did York and although I didn't run well myself there last year, it's a PB course.
    Thanks Big_G, i'll look into those events.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - ha,ha. You could double that with DD, you should be home in time. Ouch.  :o

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    6 miles after work today legs still a little beaten up,hopefully ease by Sunday.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I just Googled them as I was thinking the same that they have access to a lot of people.  I think they're both journalists, and one of them appears to be sponsored by Cliff (energy bars) so I guess they have access to people through that.
  • Options
    Big G/ Shades I've got a couple of tats but nothing branded, when I was younger I had considered a chelsea one, glad I resisted the urge.  Saying that if the Bolton marathon finished in the Reebok or whatever it's called now I'd sign up for it for the memories seeing chelsea win the prem in 2005 there.

Need to get back listening to podcasts not done so for a while.  I've just won a facebook/ twitter comp for place of Westminster Mile, not something I'm too interested in at the moment but a free pair of New Balance shoes which will be nice!  It was one of 20 places and I got a message on facebook and twitter so dunno if I won it twice?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - is it this weekend you have Chester Half?

Robert - don't know any course details of Bolton marathon, but you could always put yourself on the mailing list.  It looks like it used to be a fairly big marathon and it seems they want to replicate that, we'll see.  

We do have a shortage of road marathons in the autumn so I think they've picked a good date.  I only have one marathon scheduled for September as there's so few, we lost Wolverhampton and Nottingham a couple of years ago. 

Well done on another prize win, you really do have the Midas touch.  I wouldn't be bothered with the Westminster Mile either but a pair of NB shoes is a great prize.

5 miles for me today, another beautiful sunny morning, chilly though but fab running weather.   I'm still wearing my winter kit though.  
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Found a news clipping on proposed Bolton marathon then realised it was dated 2016, back to search again
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I've popped myself on the mailing list,hopefully will be doing Berlin next year but not won a ballot yet.
    Yeah Chester half,really hoping OH gets a PB as she's worked well towards it.
    Run-If that's 2 prizes that's great,makes me wonder how many enter these things.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I guess Berlin will be a week after Bolton marathon but the ballot will probably decide your target race then.

I can't find any more info on Bolton, FB has the most info, they do say route details to be announced fairly soon.

Good luck to OH, I expect you've been coaching her well.   Have you decided what you're going to aim for on Sunday?

Big G - I've just entered Davey's Xmas race. :)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes she's enjoyed it,managed to add a third run a week on so think that will give her huge benefit.
    I'm probably going out around 1:25ish and see how long I hang on for,dont think I'm quite in that shape but will give it a go.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Bolton Marathon would be a good one for me as it's nice and near my friend in Manchester.
    6 miles for me today at the faster end of my easy pace. My mechanics felt better which may well be a result of those drills I've been doing. Achilles is still grumpy, though, the little bugger. As long as it's just grumbling and not screaming, I'm good to go.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Good luck to you and the OH. Your 5k time would suggest you are in good shape!
    Rob - Well done on the prizes.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't entered it yet, but I will do I'd imagine!

New exercises with the band are going well with a big improvement just in the last day!  I've had this before though where there's been an improvement and then the progress tails off again, or sometimes feels like it goes backwards a bit.  All being well though I'm hoping to run/walk around parkrun tomorrow, plus walk there and back.  Don't care about time of course, but if I can get around it with no issues, even if I only run a relatively short amount, I'll be happy with that.

I'm not keeping a log of my walking but it's another 6.5 miles today.  I did about 10 yesterday in total, so I think it's probably around 30ish miles walking over the last week, at generally a fairly quick pace (I am quite a quick walker).  I know it's not the same as running, but it's something.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Might be one of those injuries where its 3 steps forward then 1 back,3 then 1,as long as it progressing that's the main thing 
    Steve-I know what you're saying about 5k but running 13.1 at around 6.30 pace seems crazy fast to me.
  • Options
    Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Ian - good luck to you and your OH for Sunday. Hope the half goes well.

Big G - Progress is progress, hope park run goes ok

Couple of busy evenings for me last couple of days so not got out till this afternoon. 10 miles, my usual loop which is a bit lumpy but good for training I think. 

• Options

Ian good luck to you and OH for the half.

Shades, only found myself doing the one autumn marathon so far which was Abingdon, I've signed up to the mail list.

Cal do you know what affects your Achilles is it speed/ terrain?

Big G sounds promising on the recovery, hope tomorrow goes well.

Another 4.5 miles at lunch at a slightly quicker pace, foot felt good so it seems to be improving.  Tomorrows another day and see what it brings, back to NDW for volunteering 12 hours! 

Got my DD email, seen an error they say the cut off is 6.50 (which was last years) I got excited thinking if I did go and got to the marathon point <5.15 I could stroll to the finish.  Saw later on that it is a 6.30 cut off :-(

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Well done on volunteering for a long stint again.I dont appear to have had an email about DD,am I missing something?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I've had my DD email too.  Email Roger and check with him. You should have had an email after you entered confirming your entry.  Your name is definitely on the start list.

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thanks I've dropped him an email,maybe I didn't write it very neat,cant remember if I got a confirmation email or not.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - we had a confirmation email just a few days after sending cheque. 

You're still on the start list, I just checked.  ;)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    He said I'm not entered so no hills for me    :)
    He missed an _ out of my address so all sorted now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ha, ha... nice try  :D:D:D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - just run as you feel tomorrow.

Hope you've enjoyed your DD Dossier, any questions just ask.

Cal - yes, Bolton would be a good autumn option for you.  

Big G - that's some fair mileage you're doing.   Hope today's walk/run goes well.

Was the physio pleased with your progress?

Davey's race will fill but I think he operates a wait list, I'm sure he did last year for the Xmas event.

Webby - hills are brilliant for training, embrace them.

Robert - autumn marathons are much easier to train for as better weather for those long runs and race day is often cooler than the weather you've trained through, unlike spring marathons when a suddenly warm race can affect race pace.

Hope you have a good day today doing your marshalling duties at NDW.

Good luck to all racing this weekend, including Keith doing that gorgeous Windermere marathon.

Rest day for me, race tomorrow.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, she was very pleased with my progress and mentioned something along the lines of "you must have been doing the exercises", as if to imply that some don't!  There's still this nagging doubt in my mind about this possible operation, but I'll see what is said after the scan.  The scan's not until end of June though :(   Looking way, way ahead and not even knowing if I need an op, but if I can run I obviously really want to do Berlin (and Sofia, which is already booked up) so in terms of recovery if I do need an op it really needs to avoid those!  Just entered Davey's - rude not to at £20!

Feels a bit weird sitting here in running stuff.  Rotterdam was six weeks ago tomorrow, I did a recovery run on the Monday and haven't ran since!  Any hint of pain, I'll walk the parkrun, but physio said it was okay to try at least a run/walk around if I felt I could.  

I'm actually away next weekend in Helsinki and staying fairly near the parkrun there, so I really hope I can run/walk around that one.  Looking at the previous results there, I may be last if I literally walk the whole thing, but maybe only by a minute or two.  I've been walking Torbay (and not going purposefully very quickly) in low 46-mins, and the last runner's time at the last couple of Helsinki parkruns are around 44-46mins.  It's a very small event - it's only got over 50 runners four times in its 29 events.  A few weeks ago I was panicking that I may not be able to fly, but I'm fine to fly now.  I'll just pack really lightly and take a bag I can put over my (left) shoulder rather than drag a suitcase.  And if I do struggle getting the bag in the rack, I'll just have to ask for help.  I'm going with the WAYers - a friend has recently moved over there for work, so she has invited us over.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hopefully you won't need an op as you're healing well.   I think your physio will tell you that most patients don't do their physio exercises, they might for a day or so but that's it. 

Great that the physio says it's OK to try a little running too.

I'm sure you can walk Helsinki parkrun, after all you'll be a tourist so you can just go round at your own pace, doesn't matter if you're last, you can have a good chat with the tail walker

You could always book your bag in the hold that would be a lot easier for you travelling and IMHO worth the cost rather than risk jarring your shoulder in any way.