Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Its certainly the best way to go up,but the worst way not to,experienced both the last 2 seasons,getting bored of this place now   :)
    I was thinking about doing a race while down here as there seems a few this weekend but wont be in any state.
    Cal-Have a great race tomorrow,weather is looking reasonable I think.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Did parkrun this morning, which was a 9:30 start here (usually 9 in England although 9:30 in Scotland I believe). Got there in plenty of time although it absolutely chucked it down with rain before the start but it was dry for the event.

It’s an out-and-back course, which I think is fairly unusual for parkrun?  It was essentially along the paths beside two lakes, separated by a (steep!) railway bridge. Similar to the Enigma lakes but, errrm, better ;)

I had a nice run out in around 26mins and shoulder was fine!  Bit quicker than I envisaged but I was running on my own and to feel and it felt quite good. I was 17 out of just 37 and 22 were first timers at this event, and I think most of those were Brits like me. I walked the 1.5 miles there and ran/walked back and shoulder still ok. It felt a bit odd being done and dusted before the UK parkruns had even started, despite the later start here.  Although very small, there was a really nicely, friendly atmosphere and so I enjoyed it a lot.

Had a good day out exploring today, although tired now!

• Webby4216Webby4216 ✭✭✭
    Big G - great to hear the shoulder is holding up, well done on park run. Sounds a nice place, how long are you there for? I'm off on a cruise in a couple of weeks to Norway and I think once we get further north, we'll only get about 30 minutes of darkness a day! Will be very strange

Robert - think I do have a very minor cold, throat is still a little sore and bit bunged up. Not stopping me getting out currently which is good.

Local park run sandwich today. Meant to go round park run at a tempo effort of 7:20 min/mile but got a little carried away and ended up finishing at 7:00 average.  :# need to be more disciplined 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Webby, flying back late Monday PM. Having never been to any Scandinavian countries before, I’m going to Stockholm soon.  OH has a conference there and I only had to pay for flights, so I thought it’d be rude not to go. There’s a parkrun there too so hoping to do that one. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - ha,ha at your breakfast compared to the Scandinavians.  They do always seem to me to be very disciplined.

Not many for the parkrun, is it taking a while to catch on there?

Gap of the Lap marathon for me today and I absolutely loved it.  Definitely the toughest road marathon I've ever done but so scenic.  Think Dartmoor Discovery/Windermere/Dingle/Snowdonia all rolled into one event.  Brilliant organisation and marshalling.  Masses of free food at finish with unlimited tea and coffee.  Great to catch up with some of my Irish running friends.  I want to come back and do it again. Finished in 5:15 which was better than expected considering the course.  Pic of me at mile 18 and this wasn't the highest point of the course, that was at Sally Gap at 14 miles.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - there's a new name on the transfer list for DD, don't know if you've seen it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-You look good there,must give you lots of confidence for next week now.
    Big G-Glad you managed a run,hopefully no after effects.
    Webby-Good that you felt ok to go a bit faster,nice pace.
    Hope I haven't hurt my Achilles with all my jumping around when we scored,calf is a little sore but got a week to ease.Gonna be a late night tonight I think.
  • Shades seen the place, have emailed unsure if able to do anything as not enough time to do it by postal however I will email the RD and ask if ok if the form is unsigned by me.  I stopped looking yesterday as that was the latest really.

Well done on the race today, hope you recover well for next week!

Ian congrats on the promotion

foot has troubled a bit today, it was tighter this morning so unsure if it was the faster parkrun, the hills or just going backwards slightly
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I hope your head isn’t too bad this morning!

Shades, well done on the race - sounds a nice one.

Robert, sorry to hear about the PF flaring up again. So frustrating :(

Shades, I think parkrun must be taking a while to catch on - maybe the downpour before put a few off, but it only tends to be about 40-50 a week anyway which is very small bearing in mind it’s quite central to the city. The one I went to was its 30th event and the Finnish people there were very friendly and enthusiastic about parkrun and were talking a lot about ‘parkrun tourism’ in the UK. One lady there lives 2hrs from her nearest two parkruns but is a regular. 

It’s probably a population thing too as Finland is very, very sparsely populated compared to the UK. 
    - UK has 67m people and a population density of 717 people per mile squared (area of 93000 square miles). Far worse than that in London etc. 
    - Finland has 5.5m people and a population density of just 47 people per mile squared (area of 117000 square miles).  
    - So Finland is a bigger country in terms of area but the UK has about 15 times people per mile squared.  The difference is staggering when walking around!  It feels extremely quiet in comparison.

It can’t necessarily be a lack of interest in running. Yesterday there was a ladies 10k event with literally 1000s of women running. When we came in on Friday at around 4pm there was a race of some sort on (race bibs etc) - apparently government officials knock off early on a Friday and do a race.

There’s some ice hockey tournament on at the moment and I think Finland made the final last night - lots of bars full of Finns in hockey shirts etc, which was nice to see. Haven’t seen any trouble at all. Went to a design museum yesterday and as well as Nokia, the Finns seem to be immensely proud of the Angry Birds game!!  And they idolise Kimi Raikkonen here (F1 driver) - he was always my favourite when I closely followed the sport, both as a driver and some of his interviews were hilarious (very deadpan and takes no shit from anyone). 

Tried reindeer last night which is popular here, and was nice. Tasted as you’d expect really - venison flavour/texture. 
  • Shades - Well done
    BG - Er Whitehaven, workington and Keswick are all out and back park runs and happen to be the three nearest to me too ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ah, fair enough Keith. That was my only ‘proper’ out and back so far. I’ve done a couple up and down a sea front but they’ve been two ‘laps’ so I suppose not really out and backs. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ian - no more of that jumping around now, don't want to pick up one of those bizarre non running injuries.

Robert - can't you scan signed form and send by PDF?  

Big G - Ireland has a smaller population than Finland and parkrun is very popular here.  Isn't a lot of Finland uninhabitable, 
    Tundra? Or am I not remembering my school geography correctly? Of course UK is very overcrowded.

Llanelli is an out and back parkrun route too, my friend did it as part of our 40 mile ultra in March.

At Dublin airport now.  Early start so didn't have time for a recovery run but I did have time for a 10 minute walk  and my legs feel surprisingly good after yesterday.   There were some downhills that were over a mile long and I did try to run easy on them and save any trashing of quads for DD.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at yesterday's results.  There was also a half marathon which started 30 mins after us and did an out and back on the same route as the marathon runners.  Only the leader passed me and he was really fast, he won with a margin of 14 minutes which is a lot in a half.  I found out today that he runs for Ireland and is a 2:17 marathon runner.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Another pic from yesterday and another hill...

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Looking good there Shades. Not sure about what parts are uninhabitable here - it’s really noticeably quieter though. 

I came over to Tallinn today on the ferry.  A very nice Old Town, with lots of viewpoints and things to see. It’s just started raining so I jumped into a bar for an AF beer. Very nice too. I tried to get into the KGB museum earlier which looked right up my street, but they only allow tours and it was all fully booked sadly. By all accounts, the KGB based themselves at a hotel here, part of which is now a museum. Still having a great time, although I couldn’t get in there. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yeah it's a bit sore today,party in town last night and a few of the players turned up so went a bit crazy but that's my blowout for a while done.
    Rob-Theres 2 on the list now so hope you get it sorted.
    Shades-14 mins is a massive gap over a half,must have been super speedy.
  • Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ian great win yesterday, saw alot of Charlton and Sunderland fans walking round london today.

Shades, pics look good. Hills everywhere!!!

Big G bet that reindeer weren't cheep? Must have been deer (I'll get my coat)

Have used paint to pop my details on the transfer form, the other chap lives in devon so if he decides to act then he'll hand deliver hopefully.

Westminster mile today, plan was to jog round in 8 or 9 mins.... started at the front with Stef Twell who was looking a world record for the mile whilst holding hand.  Then decided to run a bit faster, hit 400m <1.30 and thought I cant keep this up, 800m 3.08ish didnt push too much for the next 400m and held what I could and finished in <6.30 awaiting results for exact time felt quite good with weight, injury, fitness taken into account.  6.12 is my fastest mile from 2016.   10k tomorrow, feel like using it as a progression run but that'll change on the start line.  

With the 10k race tomorrow felt it was vital to refuel with an afternoon tea

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Tallinn marathon is on my 'to do' list, maybe on yours now too.

Robert - great running and super photos.  Good luck at the 10k tomorrow.  I've recorded the Westminster Mile from BBC RB so will look out for you of you're next to Steph Twell.

Hope you manage to get that transfer done before the deadline.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Shades and Rob, and glad your shoulder was OK during parkrun, Big G!
    I'm at Colin's house at the moment, having finished Liverpool. The first half went really well - the new route was fine (first have has been changed a bit due to road changes) with the first hill coming at mile 3 rather than 7. I was feeling pretty strong and didn't even have a problem with the big mile 12 hill which left me wasted the past two years (all that running around Brockwell Park has helped, no doubt).
    It was warm but there was a breeze and a bit of drizzle so I kept cool enough.
    I was slowing a little but figured I could still get a PB if I kept below 10 minute miles, but then we got onto the Mersey and oof - the notorious headwind which hasn't been an issue the past two years was there in spades. It was like running into a brick wall. Four miles of that pretty much destroyed my chances, but I was still pleased to finish in 4:14:25 - very close to my Vienna time (and a course best of almost 8 minutes).
    Legs were pretty shot after but my feet were much better than Vienna. Still sore but normal marathon soreness rather than feeling as though someone had been beating my feet with a cricket bat. Definitely chose the right shoes!
    Also it's the first time I've finished in time to see the headline act (Toploader this year - not a favourite but I heard then play their one hit as I was collecting my Encore medal, which is huge!
    Right, better bugger off as Colin's almost finished cooking dinner.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, well done. I can imagine a headwind along that section being very tough.  Did I read somewhere that the route no longer goes through the Anfield stand, or did I make that up?!
  • Cal, thats a great time, seemed to be a bit of wind about, couple of club mates ran Edinburgh (2.41) said the wind was a bit much at the turning point on the way back in.  Enjoy your dinner!  I do love rock n roll's bling, one of these days i'll be tempted enough to go for one of their events.

Shades, at the start line you'll see me right behind steph's partner! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Thats a great time with that wind,I was out today and could feel it coming off the Irish sea so knew it was going to be against you.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, good running from you too!

Shades, I suppose you never know about Tallinn Marathon. Never say never, although I feel I probably did see what I wanted of the city. The only thing I would say is that it’s not cheap here - last night I had 3 courses, 2 AF beers and a coffee in a decent bar and it was nearly €80. I’m still not boozing, but can’t seem to get a bottle of wine for less then €30. No tipping needed though as the staff get paid properly and don’t expect any tips at all.  Tallinn seemed a bit cheaper for food but still by no means a bargain. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great course best especially with that headwind you had to deal with in the last few miles.  Good news that your feet were fine this time too. Best stick to those shoes for your marathons.

Big G - Scandinavian countries are notoriously expensive.  I think Tallinn is a lot cheaper, I did get as far as looking at hotels and they were very reasonable.
    A friend of mine went to Norway to do Tromso marathon and said if she lived there she'd be 8 stone as they couldn't afford to eat.  I saw Wurzel the other day and he's going to Tromso this year so I advised him to take some snacks with him.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - Anfield was new last year (we went around it the year before) but this year they had a rugby thing on so we went into Everton this time (though not right into the ground, though).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Finland won the world hockey champs last night. I’ve been saying it’s quite quiet here, but they all went crazy. My Finnish friend actually cried when they won! There was a spontaneous gathering of 1000s of people on the main square here, with fireworks etc.  Fantastic atmosphere and again no trouble anywhere. Pic doesn’t do it justice it really but this was gone midnight last night. 

When i walked back 1hr earlier there was one person on the road nearby. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - wow they must love their sport in Finland.  So nice to hear they can celebrate without any trouble flaring up, unlike here.

Just about to go out for my delayed recovery run.  Legs feel remarkably good considering I didn't run yesterday, but I did have a good trouble free journey home yesterday without hours of sitting around.

I'm later than usual going out today as I stayed up until 2 am watching the election results.  Usually I'm tired the day after a marathon but I'd slept well on the Sunday night for a change.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, today’s a work day here too!  My friend Mia was saying they haven’t got past the quarter finals for a while, so winning the world champs is a huge thing here.

Just wandering around today, shopping etc. Went over to see the icebreakers in the harbour here....massive!  Flight home is 5pm so not too late and ands at 6 UK time and I then have the drive back to Devon. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    SHADES said:

I'm later than usual going out today as I stayed up until 2 am watching the election results.  Usually I'm tired the day after a marathon but I'd slept well on the Sunday night for a change.
    Sorry, edit, my race was on Saturday not the Sunday :/ 

Had a lovely recovery run, I was worried about really trashing my quads but they're fine, just a slight tiredness, from the downhills, and in my glutes too, that's from the uphills.

Can't believe that it's the first training run I've done this year in short sleeved shirt and no gloves, the sun came out and I could have been more comfortable in a vest.  It's been so chilly early in the mornings that winter kit was the best option.

Big G -sounds like you've had a lovely time there, think you'd better schedule a Finnish marathon.  Helsinki marathon was the weekend before I think.    Hopefully you'll be driving in the opposite direction of the BH traffic.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    5 easy miles for me today, lovely sunny morning again, but some light showers at the same time and saw 3 rainbows...not all at the same time!

Can everyone let me have their June marathons/ultras for the list that you haven't already told me about, OTB, Iain, Keith and DD I already have....

Big G - are you ready to get back to your races now?