Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, sounds like you're in great shape for Sunday.  Best of luck with it!  In your situation, I think I'd run today if I felt like I wanted to.  It's nice to run when we're feeling good and when we have some bounce in the legs.  Just 4-6 miles or something.

Robert, great to hear from you and to hear that you're healing.  Good that the surgeon is happy with it too!  Yes, Chair mentioned he's going online only.  It's a big change for him as he always says he likes the satisfying "thud" of the envelopes hitting his floor each morning.  But DD is the only one of our races not online, and he knows online is the way to go.  I'll put a post up when I know when the date will be, although I'm guessing he'll put it on the facebook group in the run up to it.

Cal, good luck with the long run on Sunday.  If you weren't quite feeling it today, probably not worth pushing it at this point,

Shades, yes, JW is very consistent.  She doesn't go out stupidly quickly and I think she just knows what she's capable of, and I think tries to finish strong.  I've never spoken to her about this, but that's just what I think.  The only thing with JW is that she is very good at going through any crowds at the start of the race, whereas I'm not...she just kind of skips past people!  I'm obviously about twice the size as her, so I can't get through as easily so even if we start close together she may well get ahead of me but we'll see.   Quite looking forward to it really.

Yes, there is the one main hill at about 1.6-1.7 miles but even after that it's undulating up hill to about 3.5.  From 4.5, it's more-or-less down hill back to the finish from there, but there is a slope we've got to get over roughly 0.5 miles from the finish.  That description (and the below diagram) aren't exact as I did a bit of looping back on the run on Sunday as you can see my run was over 6 miles.

Regarding the Club Champs, I've entered the remaining races that I need to complete it.  Unfortunately for me that includes Bicton Blister, which although is really popular I didn't love as it's just not my cuppa tea.  I've only done it once, but I remember there being some really narrow paths and as we know I'm crap at off road!  I won't get anywhere in the CC, but if I do manage to complete itthat will be an achievement on its own.

3 miles for me this morning.  I enjoyed the rest day yesterday, but it was really nice to turn the legs over.  It was raining, and a fresh breeze too.  Today I was drenched with rain and not sweat, which was actually a very pleasant change!  I've got the race this evening, and I expect I'll do a parkrun tomorrow (no running there and back, so just the parkrun) and then the Half on Sunday.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - Suspect it was a bit of dehydration to be honest.
    Cal - There is a new Great Run (I think) ultra around London I think I remember it being advertised at 55k? Might be an option.
    8 miles with strides on Wednesday and 9 miles with 6*1k on Thursday reps were 3:44/3:43/3:41/3:41/3:50/3:39. Other than the 5th rep, happy with that, but was a tough workout.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, I meant Rother race, you might be tired after NY if you suffer from jet lag as that will delay your NY marathon recovery.

Short easy run today if you're feeling restless will do you no harm.

Big G - it must be a lot of work for Chair processing the manual entries for DD and especially the transfers, that must be a right faff.   The previous race organiser used to vet all the entries and any virgin DD applicants would be checked out.  A sub 4:30 marathon (or relevant ultra experience) would be required for entry and he used to check out their qualifying marathon times and used to get quite a few that lied.   I remember him telling me one quoted a result in Cardiff marathon as his qualifying time and when RO investigated that result he also clicked on the photo and it turned out that the Cardiff runner was a woman.   Obviously the DD applicant looked for a runner with the same name as his but failed to check any other details!

Thanks for the elevation chart.   Maybe JW likes to start a bit further back and work her way through rather than be nearer the front.   She is only tiny and there'll be a lot of blue vests tonight so you'll have your work cut out tracking her.

I did Bicton Blister once, not my sort of race but it was OK except the giant puddle was so cold, it was only about 2 degrees and my feet got so cold and only had just got back to body temperature again when we had to run through it again on the run back.   Photographer was lying in wait at that puddle and said anyone that fell in got free photos and lots of publicity, managed not to fall in, but only just, as very rough going underfoot.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Steve, yes there is - unfortunately too close to Yorkshire Marathon this year, but worth considering for another year, certainly.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I hope this message reaches you in time Shades, but try not to fall asleep this afternoon ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    I hope this message reaches you in time Shades, but try not to fall asleep this afternoon ;)
    Ha, ha.   I'm determined not to let that happen today.   I don't feel so tired today but I might just set the alarm on my phone, just in case!

I see there's another ultra on the SWCP on 4th April, but I guess you might be doing Manchester that weekend.

https://www.runultra.co.uk/Events/South-West-Coast-Path-Trail-Running-Challenge

Cal - that's a shame about that ultra close to you.   It's not easy finding the right events at the right time of year, I've just been looking.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Cal - Not sure how easy it is for you to get to but Xnrg do the Chiltern Ultra 50k in July......There is a train station close to the start, but the team will pick up runners from the station.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Great reminder for shades  :D
    Decided against running,got home and the weather was terrible so decided to eat instead.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Shades, not sure about that race. I think it’s two laps for the marathon so I think that would be quite hard on the coast path?  I do have a hotel for Manchester but I haven’t made my mind up of I’m going yet.

Tonight’s Chudleigh Road Race went well. There were a load of Trotters there and I very briefly saw Shades and Jelly at Race HQ, before I went and did a 1.5 mile warmup.

I was feeling good on the start line, and went off with JW as planned but overtook her at about 0.5 miles. At this point I wasn’t sure if that would end up being a mistake or not, but I went with it as I was feeling good. I got to the significant hill at about 1.5miles and just dug in and I held my own in that no one overtook me, which was nice. It levels out a bit before raising up again, but I knew there was a flatter bit coming at the top of that. I got to the flat bit and pushed on, and realised although I was going quite quickly for me I was actually recovering well so again I went with it, and picked off a couple of people on this section.  At about 4 miles there’s quite a steep downhill section and I tried to let myself go on this bit, and again no one overtook me although a female Trotter just ahead of me pulled away and I wasn’t able to get back to her in the closing stages. The last slope at around 5 miles was a struggle, but I got over it and pushed on to the finish line finishing in a watch time of 40:51 for the 5.5 miles, and 593ft of elevation according to Strava.

I haven’t done this race before so have nothing to compare it to in terms of time, but it’s quite a tough little course and I was pleased with how I felt during the race. JW finished about 55secs behind me so I was pleased with that too. I also finished ahead of someone who beat me by about 1min at the 4-mile Sandygate Loop, although in fairness I think he had a bad race today.  

All in all, a good evening out and a nice way to start the weekend especially as I treated myself to fish and chips on the way home :)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Big G. Glad Shades didn't fall asleep for this one!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I managed to stay awake this time!

First time I've run this race too and it was tough.   We start with a loop of the town a bit of a drag up and then gentler downhill back past the start again, I set off far too fast for this bit and don't think I recovered from that.  I had to walk a lot of the hills as the humidity was making me feel slightly sick, it wasn't hot though just very humid.   Lovely course and there were plenty of road markings, like 'This is the start of the climb', accurate mile marking and finally 'Top of the climb'.  Good support through the town and even in the rural parts where we passed the occasional house people were outside cheering us on.   I ran it really badly, will know better next time but a cracking little race I can see why it's so popular.   My target time had been for 59 minutes, I'm trying to get 60% or higher WAVA for my races, but I failed and finished in 1:00 according to my watch 59% WAVA.   My watch measured it at 5.6 miles which is OK as I think it's actually 5.51miles but my Garmin had a blip and recorded the last part mile at 3+ mins instead of the 5 mins it should be so I need to wait for actual results to verify, so I might have been slower!   I didn't notice my Garmin error until I got home.   Thankfully the rain held off and just started again at the prize giving but not enough to drive everyone inside.  

Big G - that's a great run, well done.   Trotters won loads of the prizes.

I didn't look at the details of that SWCP race, but I couldn't not mention it to you ;) 

Rest day for me today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry you had a bad race, Shades.  As you say, it's a tough course and it was very humid too.  It was the "sprint finish" sign that got me.  I said to myself  "Well, I would if I could!" whilst gasping past the sign.  My Garmin had it as 5.53miles.  I was wondering if you may do a recovery run or not, as I know you usually have a rest day before a race.  

I was just looking at my splits and you can see where the hills are.  I ran it consistently in that after the initial half a mile or so no one over took me, so it's not that I slowed down too much on the hills.  6:54, 7:42, 8:01, 7:33, 6:36 and last but at 7:43 pace.  Average was 7:23 pace, which is only slightly quicker than what I'm hoping to do for tomorrow's Half.  Gulp!

Speaking of which, I've been having a look at tomorrow's route and it says 850ft of elevation so not too bad.  It looks a gentle downhill start so it'll be nice to get into the right pace for that bit.  The steepest hill seems to be at 11.2 miles which may be a bit of a struggle come that point!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Big G - I didn't see the 'sprint finish' sign, which was probably just as well. :'(

No recovery run for me, I don't bother for short races, usually it would be a normal training day after a short race.  My legs feel fine today, don't have any post race aches or soreness.

Re tomorrow, yes I posted a couple of days ago that it was 850 feet of climb.   You must also have missed the bit when I said there's a King/Queen of the Mountains bit in it, a climb of one km and I think that's at 11 miles, which is probably the worse part of a half marathon to put a hill.   https://fromehalfmarathon.co.uk/events/23-half-marathon

I only want to have an enjoyable run tomorrow so will set a 60% WAVA time as a target, must check what that is.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I did see your post about KOM. I’ve only looked at the elevation chart today though and it doesn’t look too bad I supppse.  At least it’s undulating and not like the Plym Trail profile.  At the moment the forecast seems ok for tomorrow too. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think we're going to be lucky with the weather for this time of year as the forecast for Frome on Tue/Wed is 30 degrees!  It sounds like a nice friendly race.

I did Chippenham Half last year, that was a good race too.  That's a PB course, early September.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I would like to do Chippenham one year, but this year it's the day after City to Sea.  I am doing Bridgwater Half the weekend before though which is good timing for Berlin.  If I feel like I've ran well there I'll probably use that as the basis of what pace to go out at for Berlin, plus it's a Club Champs race this year.

I did parkrun this morning, and didn't do any running there or back.  It was nice to turn the legs over.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I haven't decided yet whether to do Bridgwater and/or Chippenham.  I was still hoping to find a suitable marathon around that time, but I've had no luck there.

Before I forget, good luck to all racing this weekend especially our Solway marathon runners, that race is on my 'to do' list so detailed race reports please ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Got an email from Malta Marathon today and they’re offering free entry for next year for foreigners who had entered this year (2300 people across the events, apparently!). I’m not tempted though. It’s my PB course and although I enjoyed visiting Malta, I feel I’ve seen what I want to see. I may well go back another year though.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G/Shades-Well done on what sounds like a challenging race.
    Weather looks ok still for tomorrow,wind is getting strong later but hopefully it won't come in early.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Humidity is tough, Shades - I always struggle in it. You got it done, though.

Today's parkrun was Hoblingwell and I think I hobbled pretty well. It absolutely threw it down as I was getting off the train (fortunately I'd packed the theme park rain poncho I'd also worn at Thorpe Park last week) but stopped by the time I reached the sports field where it's held. It's a small parkrun - 66 runners this week - I think the rain put some people off but it never gets very many - which is partly on sports fields before diverting through an ancient woodland. The surface was mostly grass plus a little bit of path, and the grass was a bit slippy and squelchy after the deluge. A few undulations and some steep cambers too, so it wasn't going be a fast course for me.
    With the small field I figured I'd have a chance of getting into the top five women and there was a woman in front of me. I tried to stay with her but it was humid and my lack of recent training took its toll so I let her go and kept my own pace. I finished in 27:16 which isn't awesome but then I found I'd finished 15th overall and 2nd lady - my highest ever finishing position.
    It was a very friendly parkrun so I stayed and chatted to a few people and ate some fruit (Hoblingwell was celebrating its 2nd birthday so there was fruit and cake) before heading home.
    This was my 90th parkrun and 48th different event, so not long until I can claim my black 100 shirt.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    48 different events from 90 is great going, Cal. 

Trotters had 56 runners in the results last night, which is a record number of finishers at any race for the club. I need to process that lot for the Club Champs :)  There were 216 finishers in the race in total, so it was a sea of blue last night. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a generous offer from Malta, but once you've had a disappointment such as the stormy weather cancelling the event it's hard to summon up the same enthusiasm to go again so soon.  

My result last night was 1:00:10 so only 2 seconds slower than my Garmin.  We had 9 Mavericks running last night so on % I think we had a higher turnout than the Trotters  ;)

Ian - hope you escape the wind unless it's a helpful tailwind, but that so rarely happens.

Cal - well done on a good parkrun today in difficult conditions.  You're going to places I've never heard of.  I packed my plastic poncho last night too just in case.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-As Big G says,that's a great amount of park runs.
    Shades-Lookkng at the course we should have a headwind from 13-17 as its along the coast,there should also be a couple if sections where we get a tailwind but depends if its built up or not.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck tomorrow Ian!  And you Keith if you’re reading. 
  • https://www.timingupnorthltd.co.uk/ Results should be on there later being its on the race website and they do most the local races up here. Pretty fast usually too. Often get the timing printout immediately post race

Not that i have been to this part of Cumbria before but as its a flat marathon and two circles i suspect the wind will be head wind for at least 50% the running as thats always the case with circular windy runs ;)

No idea what time i'll do other than between 5 and 5.5 hours. Its flat enough to not be a issue and for me probably lonely enough to be on own for a fair bit depending on other runner speeds. Not exactly one you expect to see the slower people i know from Foxy's etc. Too far away for them ;)

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, London has a hell of a lot of parkruns (56 I think...it's hard to keep track as they add new ones all the time). Quite a few are on the outskirts - Hoblingwell is one of those. It's named for the woods in that area (the station is St Mary Cray) which were once rumoured to be home to a spirit, or hob. And there was a well there, so...that.

Anyway, got my long run done. I went with the commons route (Tooting, Clapham, Wandsworth and back to Tooting) and it was perfectly nice out (a bit humid, but not too hot) but boy did it drag. When I got to 12 I was a bit far from home so I went on another mile and then added the .1 just because.
    I am not sure what it is about this route - it's on commons so it should be pleasant, but I never really enjoy it. Once I am going a bit further I can do Wimbledon, which I prefer, or there's my good old Brockwell route, both of which are hillier.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - thanks for the link to the results.   I'm sure you won't be on your own at the back and you'll have some company to natter to on the way round.
    I've never seen a flat area of Cumbria so know I've never been in that area.

Cal - wow that's a lot of parkruns in London area.

It's not much fun running on a route that you find tedious.   Perhaps you could do what Big G is doing and use public transport to get to new areas for long runs? 

Epic fail yet again for my race today.  I drove 70 miles and then realised that I can't run as I feel so nauseous so turned around and drove back home. 
    I felt sick during the race on Friday and put that down to the humidity and/or going off too fast.  Didn't feel great yesterday but thought that was due to a poor night's sleep, didn't eat breakfast either.  
    I felt OK, but not great, this morning, struggled to eat  breakfast.  Set off for race, stopped at services after an hour, thought I'd feel better after going to the loo but didn't.  Couldn't face anything else to eat or drink.  Set off again and starting to feel more nauseous. I had plenty time so pulled over, managed a little coffee but no food.  But I realised I can't run so reset the satnav for home.  Now on sofa with gurgling stomach  :#
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Sorry about your race,sounds like you're coming down with something.
    Not a great race for me either,got to say hi to Keith at the start,wind was starting to pick up then and was forecast to get worse.Got through 10 miles ok,bit of head and tailwind but nothing too extreme,10-12.5 had a heavy side wind which wasnt ideal and slowed me a bit but then we turned onto the coastal road and wow,did the wind hit us then,15-20mph according to the bbc and against us solidly for 5 miles,it just wiped me out,lost over 5 mins here and drained all my energy so when we got some respite I just had nothing left,tried to pick up the pace but realised it was useless so jogged in,cramp stayed away until the last 500mtrs when i had the worst attack ever,had to stop and stretch and had 4 overtake me.Finished 32nd overall in 3:28:46,had a look at the top times and the top men were 5-8 mins slower than their PB this year and top lady was 10 mins behind so clearly a big effect.
    At first i was disappointed but realised i cant control the weather and if you'd said,a couple of years ago, I'd have ran 4 this year all under 3:30 and 2 in the 3:11's I'd have thought you were crazy.
    Overall it's a nice course,quiet roads with just a few cars but no one was driving fast so felt safe,well marshalled and signed were needed.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Ian, what a shame about the wind making it so tough and slowing all the runners down.  As you say there's nothing you can do about conditions like that and the wind on that coastline can be relentless.  32nd is a very good placing.   

At least the cramps are getting later and later into the race, must have been very painful in the run into the finish though.

Treat yourself to a nice big roast dinner now, you've earned it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I actually stopped until I got rid of it,normally I would just hobble but it was that painful I couldn't even do that.