Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, sound great!  Apologies if I missed it but did you get accommodation sorted for Berlin?

Shades, it was quite a big night last night.  Not sure why specifically, although I think the "away run" encouraged a few extra out than usual, me included.  There were 3 groups running from The Rec too, so in total I think it was 76 runners out last night which is a good number.  Wednesdays are still popular - Wednesdays are the more structured sessions, whereas Mondays are more continual runs at different distances/speeds.  As it happens, I don't overly like the Wednesday sessions through the summer as they tend to be on trails, or around fields etc.  I prefer the grim setting of the roads around Brunel Industrial Estate for mile reps in the Autumn/Winter :)  

We parked at, shall we say, a "notorious" car park before the run.  Even at 6:30pm there were lots of single men in cars parked up!  Trotters turned up and took over the car park though.  The run last night was around Haldon and trails I've not seen before, so that was good.  The pub was at a very small village 2 or 3 miles from Haldon, called Doddiscombsleigh.  

I did an easy 4-miler this morning, in what seemed like good running conditions.   As has been said, it felt fresher this morning and I had a nice run out.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes I'm staying at the centro hotel,got it through the marathon site,it was €104 night inc breakfast and a transfer on race day,quite happy with that booking it so late.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's a good price.  As you say, booking it quite late, a lot of the accommodation is gone now.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - have you postponed your hoped for ultra in the Spring now that you're doing Boston?   You should be well within cut offs for GFA.    You might get that ballot place in VLM too, then it'll be 4 majors!

That's a good deal for your Berlin hotel with race transfers.

Cal - might be worth looking at the running tours for Boston, can be fairly pricey doing the trip yourself so often not a lot in it and you won't have to faff around for airport and race transfers etc.

Big G - I have absolutely no knowledge of dodgy car parks around here :o   I bet the usual clientele were not expecting the Trotters to turn up!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes that will wait,current thinking is to do the half in GC next year,then maybe the full in Barca,then Boston,but as usual it is changeable.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, I agree.  You've got plenty planned for next Spring as it stands now.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - That's a lot to look forward to! With regards to my HR, no, it doesn't seem to correlate to how tired I'm feeling. I am a bit of a diesel in that it takes me a while to get going so that may explain initial high HR..but when it continues to peak when I'm full of energy I don't understand. I do think the heat has something to do with things though. I made myself get up dead early today (much cooler) to do my 24k route and for the most part the readings were normal. It did have a rogue peak around 13k but then settled down. In fact it went right down to 70 odd for a good while but I prefer that to a too high reading.

Shades - Thank you, yes that was the plan I was on about. It really was very good, I think the course at La Rochelle was ideal for that plan as it is mostly a pretty flat course.
    Thank you for the encouragements re my HR training. I will stick to it as much as I can as I know it suits me. I'll try and change my HR monitor when I can though just to put my mind at rest!
  • MF - Might be worth giving the HR sensor a clean if the rogue readings continue.
    Ian - How exciting!!! I think you'll be OK for the GFA for Boston as you are well under.
    7 miles with strides yesterday and an easy 5 miles today.
  • Highly annoyed as I did 12 miles this morning, then no run appeared when I connected to Garmin Connect. Checked the memory and it's empty (although my steps are still there) but there's a log recording a fatal error. Arse. While I do a lot of my runs by feel and breathing, I do like to analyse the data afterwards.
    I guess I need that new watch sooner rather than later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - the heat definitely makes HR much higher as the body has to work so hard to try and cool down, so good news that your early run gave you almost normal stats.   

But the high reading at the start is usually due to poor contact, do you wet the contacts when you put HRM on?   And tuck it in your bra rather than bother with the chest strap?  Your HR should be at it's lowest for the first mile/km.
    Dropping to 70 mid run shouldn't happen at all, hopefully Steve is right and a clean might work.   Mine only drops like that when the battery needs changing.

But you're running and you're not injured so in reality all is well. :)    

Cal - how frustrating.  I know you said you've had a few niggling problems with Garmin Connect for a while but looks like it's your watch that's playing up.  Have you had that watch long?

Circuits for me today, good tough class, record turnout today which is good as most classes have less due to holidays.   This is a very good class though and word is getting around.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, annoying about the lost training run.  Have you got a shortlist of devices you're considering to replace what you've got?

I'd planned a run this morning but woke with some mild bad ache so decided not to run in the end.  I think it'll be fine tomorrow and certainly in time of the weekend but just being cautious today.  I have an appointment with the consultant this afternoon about the shoulder, so I'll see what they have to say.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hope the appointment goes well.   Will you mention your double marathon this weekend? ;) 

Busy weekend for Shadies in Devon this weekend 
  • I've just ordered the 45. 13 hour battery so it'll do me for a 50K and maybe even a 50 mile once I get to doing ultras.
    I've had the 25 about three and a half years.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - three and a half years isn't bad going, considering how often you use it.

Hope the new one arrives very promptly :)   13 hours will do you fine, certainly for a 50 miler too.

I expect my Garmin will need replacing fairly soon.   I'm hoping that at Loch Ness marathon they have the Garmin stand again.    As I need glasses for reading it's important for me that I can see the screen/s OK so seeing them all gives me a chance to check that out.   We have no retailers near here that I can do that.   I wouldn't buy one at the Expo as I expect they will be expensive.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Mama-Ultimately the main thing is you enjoy the running.
    Cal-Bad news on the run,wife is just in the process of getting a watch,might splash out myself at some point.
    Big G-Definitely best to play safe.
    Shades-Thats a busy weekend for you all down there.
    10 miles yesterday felt good,going along to a local 5k tonight,pretty quick course but next weeks is faster,not sure how it will go after a few heavy weeks but we will see later.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I was honest and said I do a lot of running, including marathons.  But I didn't say I was hoping to do two this weekend....

Appointment went well though.  I had another X-Ray and also Ultrasound and results are encouraging.  Basically, the calcification I did have in May is much improved, and also the Ultrasound showed there is no damage to the tendon at all (no holes, tears or anything).  But she does think that I need different physio exercises - not so much strengthening ones, but flexibility ones as when she tried to manipulate the shoulder she did say that it's very stiff in all movements.  So I need to go back to a physio, with a letter that she'll be sending me, and they'll advise from there.  Basically it's quite a long road to full recovery (which I knew anyway), but she's confident it'll happen without operations etc, and she said that she wouldn't dream of telling me not to run....  

I was wondering if she'd give me another injection but on balance she didn't think it was necessary.  I think for the next couple of marathons I'll take painkillers before and during if I need to.  Not ideal I know, but I think it did take the edge off during my last marathon.

I did ask about strapping the shoulder and she said no need, but she did say to hold something light if I feel the shoulder aching whilst running.  She suggested a twig or something, which apparently is just enough to engage the rotator cuff which can help with pain on a run.  So Shades/Keith, if you see me doing that on Saturday/Sunday, I've not gone mad - just following the doctor's orders :D   In all seriousness, I may just carry my collapsible cup in that hand as it would be no bother at all as it has a ring on it that I can put over a finger, and just rest it in the hand.  I've done this in the past at other lapped marathons that don't provide cups and it's no problem at all.

So it's positive news really - I knew it was a long road to recovery, but full confirmation that no operation is needed which is good.  I know my running is being impacted as I've seen video of me running and I'm very stiff, but all being well with the different physio that will clear up and get better over the coming weeks/months.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nice race tonight,its a decent fast course that attracts a lot of good runners.last year I got my first sub 19 in 18:57,hoping for around 18:15 tonight but finished in 17:57,so a big drop in a year.Really good km splits 3:36,37,38,38 and a sprint for 3:29.
  • Blimey, Ian, a sub-18! Well done!
    Good news on the shoulder, Big G. Good idea to keep an eye on your form.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:

10 miles yesterday felt good,going along to a local 5k tonight,pretty quick course but next weeks is faster,not sure how it will go after a few heavy weeks but we will see later.
    Ian - just quoting your pre race comment!  ;)   Fabulous running, great PB and look at those splits.  :o 

Big G - that's a really good consultation you had yesterday.   LOL at mentioning the marathon running but not the double.  Great news that there's no permanent damage and although the recovery is a long process she's confident you'll get there.   

I didn't even laugh about the twig, although you wouldn't be short of twigs on the Plym Trail route ;)   I wonder if your consultant is a runner.   
    Years ago when I was on a course on coaching and we covered some aspects of running form and one of the commonest errors is holding the shoulders in a hunched manner and not relaxing the upper body.   We were then shown the easiest way to get a runner to do that and that is to give them 2 crisps and to hold them gently between thumb and forefinger when running.   Crisps are perfect as they are so brittle that any tension they will break and to hold them gently you need to relax and drop the shoulders.   I did one day take a bag of crisps to a session for my running group and we all had a good laugh but the girls found it really effective.   The idea is the next time you just imaging that you are holding the crisps and the shoulders should relax.

6 miles for me this morning, nice fresh morning.   Out on the main road as dark when I went out and return on the quiet back roads.   Not far from home I have to run over a small railway bridge, years ago I saw a deer with a fawn in the field to my right as I cross the bridge and I've never given up looking again and today I was rewarded.   There were 3 deer grazing in the field, quite close to me but as I was elevated on the road they didn't see me, but in the long grass I could see 2 fawns lying down and they saw me first, I stopped to look at them and then when a doe spotted me the fawns stood up and they were about half grown, so pretty though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's a fantastic race and brilliant splits.  Very well done!!

Cal, I do try and keep my form in mind but at the moment I know it's dreadful, as the shoulder is so stiff and occasionally sore.

Shades, have you had the final instruction email for this weekend yet?  I haven't had it yet and I saw something that he was sending it out on Tuesday.  I emailed him quite late last night so hopefully it's all fine.

Shades, great to see deer out on your run.  Not sure if the consultant is a runner but I  jokingly asked her not to say the dreaded words "no running allowed" and she just laughed and said that she never tells people not to do stuff.  I am wondering what different exercises/stretches I may get though.  I did Google it last night and can't really see anything so I wonder if it may be with tennis balls or something like that.  Hopefully I'll get an appointment soon, but I need to wait for the consultant's letter to come first.

I see there is a new "Facebook-share" option underneath each post on here, so it seems that development is still being done on this site, although I won't be using that feature.  Or has it been there for a while and I've just not noticed it?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Think it's new as the blue stands out and I only noticed it yesterday.
    Shades-I spoke to some guys from my club last night and they did a 24hr race along the wirral way last weekend,may be an option if I decide to go longer as they had shorter distance options.
    I think next weeks course is worth about 15secs so hopefully even faster.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, he forwarded me the instructions this morning. There was an issue somewhere but I’m in definitely the events. 

Dreadful run this morning - no energy and legs felt heavy, so I turned the watch off after 2 miles and walked the 1 mile back. Food, drink and sleep have been normal so I hope I’m not coming down with something. Fingers crossed it’s just a random bad run we occasionally get. 
  • Ian - Superb racing, brilliant splits too, looks like you paced it just right. What's your 5k PB? Reckon you can beat that next week?
    Big G - Good news!
    Shades - Awesome to see a deer on your run! Spotted a fox this morning.
    10 miles with 2*1200m, 2*1000m and 1*800m this morning, splits were 4:27/4:24/3:40/3:44/2:57.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, haven't had the race email, but I thought that was perhaps as I have an FOC entry for this one so maybe wasn't on the usual entry list.   He did email me a few weeks ago to check that I was running on the Saturday and then marshalling on the Sunday.  I haven't received one today but it's 9:30 start and I guess everything else is the same.

Maybe your shoulder stuff will be more flexibility stuff and less resistance.  We do both sorts in our Pilates classes.  We did a nice flexibility one today for shoulders and it feels good and relaxing.

I'm so glad it's not just me then!  I saw the FB option this morning and then thought maybe it was there before but I never noticed :/  If it was there before it definitely wasn't in blue.

I'm sure that was just a bad run, dismiss it from your mind.

Ian - that ultra would be a good option for you.

We might have to hold you to that '15 seconds faster'  next week. ;) 

Steve - that is a tough session before work 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-PB is 17:52 on the course I'm doing next week,thinking i have a good chance of it,only issue may be tired legs as I'm running a lot from now until then but will give it a crack.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think it’s the same but he doesn’t provide cups anymore so we need our own bottle/cup. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - Blimey! you racing snake you.. that is an awesome result, a big well done.

Big G - I'm glad you seem to be recovering. It seems to be taking an awfully long time though.. especially annoying as you can't exactly pinpoint how you did it in the first place! At least you can run again though.

Shades - That was lovely seeing those deer.. especially after a few years break too. As I live on the edge of a large forest I see deer quite often. The other day however one jumped out on to the road right in front of me which is a first. Close up she was very beautiful but what struck me most about our encounter was the sound her hooves made on the road. I'm used to seeing them at a distance and there is obviously no noise but right in front of me the hooves made quite a clatter on the tarmac and it's that which has stayed with me for some reason.

You are right Shades, even though this HR stuff is frustrating (and incomprehensible) the main thing is I am running injury free.
    An enjoyable 18k done early this morning, on finishing my Garmin informed me I need to now rest for 3 DAYS!! :D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, I think we may have narrowed it down to a) doing a plank challenge in January b) subsequently not getting the shoulder sorted soon enough when I realised I couldn't bring my arm down from above my head when waking up and then c) moving house/DIY totally wrecked it!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I'm seeing a few sub-3 runners who didn't get their London GFA, with the qualifying time for that age group apparently being 2:57:20!  Wow!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Have you seen any other times? Wonder if it's the same as Boston with the same time across all age groups?