Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal-Thats a great effort and time,hope your Achilles is ok as mine is at its worst after a really fast effort.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    1SteveMac said:
    Shades - thanks, that was my thinking, I like the Mon/Fri rest days, so think I'll stick with the 5 days for now.
    Hmmm....not sure, I haven't run over 20 miles since I did my ultra last year!!
    You have run 19 miles though.   But I know what you mean, when it comes to marathons we're much more comfortable having done some training in the 20's.

Ian - it's not so much age but fitting training in with the rest of your life and making sure you get enough rest, especially if you have a demanding job.

Cal - brilliant PB and winning your age group too.  Great running.   You have to count that as a 5km PB as you can't be sure that a parkrun is an accurate distance.

Do they really have DNF's in a 5k race.....I wouldn't know as I've never done one. :o 

7 miles for me this morning, only 8 degrees when I went out and I really could have done with a thin long sleeved top, had opted for short sleeved and fingerless gloves, as it didn't warm up at all.  But nice for running.
  • I don't know, Shades - all I know is a few people are on the results as "started" but don't have a time. Injured maybe? Or their chips fell off their shoes? Who knows?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Cal.  I'd count that as 5k PB, which is brilliant after a 22-miler!  Is there a flatter race nearby that you can have a go at?  I surprised myself last year after a marathon as on the Wednesday I went and got my 5k PB, on what was a flat and fast course, with no tight corners etc.

I was feeling like I needed another run last night so I went along to the club and jumped into the 10x2-min session, with reduced recovery (90-secs, 80-secs...).  It's supposed to e at 5k pace, but I didn't push it at all as legs are still a bit stiff from the weekend and so I didn't use it as a proper session, but I enjoyed getting out.  It was just 4.5 miles in total, including the run to/from the park we did the session.

Shades, it was EW that was leading the session.  He's been working quite hard on his shorter distances and is racing 200m to 1500m at the moment.  He's always been quick , but he says he's enjoying the training and racing - he's only doing about 15 miles a week at the moment!  I remember talking to him before about his running when he eventually got his sub-3; I'm pretty sure he rarely does over 30-miles a week!  I wouldn't say this to him as he's such a lovely chap, but I couldn't help but wonder what he would have got if he trained "properly"!

Hoping to go out for a 6 or 7-miler a bit later.
  • There are a few although a lot of them are on Saturdays and I won't do those now as I'm chasing parkrun targets instead. Not too worried at the moment - got a couple of halves and then Yorkshire which is only 8 weeks away. They sneak up on you don't they?
    This is from last night. Yeah, I can see I have lost a bit of weight!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cool-Looking very trim indeed,I was with some mates the other week who I haven't seen for 6 months and the difference between then and now really stood out when I seen a pic of us.
    Steve-Witha  small increase I think you've done really good training for a marathon,more miles and long runs than me anyway.
    Weather looks nice for tonight so hoping for a good race.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Have you ever asked EW about his first marathon, I think it was his first?   It was at London and he was very young and they took him to Soho on the Saturday and had quite a lot to drink, think he did about 3:30 on the day but it was years before he improved on that, even though he'd run London with a hangover.  
    He's a good runner, I think he trained hard to get his first sub 3.  I believe he focuses on his target races and works hard at that target and doesn't get distracted by other races along the way.

Cal - that's a great photo and you certainly look lovely and slim and a happy runner, the effort doesn't show on your face :) 

Maybe the 5k DNF runners went on to do the 10k.

Ian - have a good race tonight, you did promise us a faster time... ;) 

Bloody stability balls again at Pilates, I survived.   Once the numbers get back up for the classes there won't be enough balls or space to use them, that's what I'm hoping anyway.

• Ha ha that's because I was running downhill, Shades.
    As for the DNFs, the 10K course was different so I don't think that as an option (unlike Clapham Common where you could decide on the fly).
    Not doing yoga or pilates today. I woke up in the night with a spinny head. It's still not quite right this morning. Not sure why - probably because I've done a lot this week and I've slept poorly due to the heat (thankfully it's cooler again). I'll have a nap after lunch.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there are only a couple of things that stick in my mind from the times I've been training with the Trotters, and one of them is to do with EW.  A couple of winters ago we were doing 1k loops and EW nearly overtook me on my 4th as he was doing his 5th.  I can honestly say I've never witnessed anyone put so much into a session.  He was totally gasping at the end, and was absolutely spent.  I think the other one I've mentioned before.  It was when Tommo overtook me on a session and as he glided past he just said "relax your shoulders, mate".  It's funny what sticks in the mind sometimes.

Cal, looking good there!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I did indeed and will certainly be giving it my best shot,scary times I'm looking at now though.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    That went pretty good,I said before the start there seemed more than usual and there was a bit of a crash at the start,someone went over a barrier as we started and lots fell over him,OH seen him after and few cuts but nothing major,I was on the other side but had to stop for a second as it rippled across.
    Then managed to get going,nice downhill to get into a rhythm and 1st km went by in 3:16  :'( mile in 5:18.It then goes gradually uphill,3:30 then 3:37 and 3:38,felt I had a sniff of 17:30,but it wasnt too be,didn't quite have enough at the end and finished in 17:35.The start cost me a couple of seconds but probably not 5.Measured 5.07km,think it was because of 764 runners on a narrow course meant I had to run wide a lot of the time,came 175th which shows the quality of the race.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's a great PB, and more than the 15 seconds you promised. :):)   And a 5:18 mile!!!   175th with that time, there are some seriously fast runners up your way  :o 

Shame about the crash/fall at the beginning of the race, I expect that spoiled a few runners targets. 

Big G - I think EW plans his races very seriously, I wonder what his mileage was when he was marathon training for his sub 3, I'll have to try and find out.

8 miles for me today, flat.  Ran out on the cycle trail where I saw the barn owl a few weeks ago and the place seemed devoid of all wildlife today.   Then on my return run back on the edge of town and suddenly a badger shot out of driveway into the road,  crossed in front of me and disappeared into the hedge.  First time I've seen one alive in daylight, I guess he must have been raiding the bins or garden of the house and he was late home.   His claws were really noisy on the tarmac and I never realised they could run so fast, definitely a youngster.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ian, that is a fantastic time.  Really well done.  Do you reckon you could go sub-5mins in a one off mile effort?

Shades, I'm sure I've seen something from him in the past where his weekly mileage was pretty low.  But maybe he wasn't training for something specific at that time - I don't know.  He's really approachable so I've just messaged him asking him what his weekly mileage/sessions looked like when he went sub-3.  I think one difference I did notice with him in the past is that say the session had 90-secs recovery between intervals, he tended to do less recovery (not sure if he timed that).  He seemed to really want to push himself and not recover totally before going again - it seemed like it was a conscious decision for him to do it that way.

Did you see the Spotlight coverage about Torbay parkrun?  Seems there is some upset.  The current course goes 2 laps of a cycle track, and then one lap of a field.  The field is adjacent to a nature reserve with lakes and birds, and it appears parkrun have had permission to run around the lakes from the Council.  It's upset the volunteers who look after the lakes, but I think there's more to it than just the parkrun, as funding is needed to maintain the lakes, but it appears there is no funding.  As for me, I really hate that field, but I don't see the point of changing the course - the event gets good numbers etc, so not sure what is behind the change.
    Original BBC article from yesterday: 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49499421
    Spotlight coverage from 4mins05secs (only available for about 11 more hours):
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00080kj/spotlight-evening-news-29082019

Talking about parkrun, I hadn't realised that they wrote weekly reports and it's a volunteer role.  I've offered to write this week's one for Torbay.  Not sure it'll be that inspiring, but I'll do my best :)  On occasion, I may offer to write a report for when I'm a parkrun tourist.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - good, that will save me trying to get the info out of his OH, not sure if she'd know.  I see her fairly often at the leisure centre.

I saw the headline on Spotlight but didn't watch it, I had read the piece on the BBC website earlier in the day.   That route looks gorgeous, I assumed that some of the objections were due to the disturbance from a lot of runners all at once to the wildlife, especially when they're nesting.  I guess they want an alternative route when they want to use the cycle track for an event or when the field is too muddy.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I just put Ian's 5km time in a race predictor!! :o
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes the race attracts people from all across the north and further afield,for me though there was a few too many,I couldn't get to the shortest route hardly and definitely ran further.There are no tight turns or buildings and strava got my 5k at 17:26.In april it measured 5.01 so an extra 60mtrs.
    Big G-Think that may be a step too far,first mile is net downhill but who knows with 6 months of perfect training.
    I'm going to have a crack at Telford 10k in December.
    Shades-I've not looked at a predictor yet as its bound to be ridiculous.New wava PB of 81.9%
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - don't look at the predictor.  Use your 20 mile time in the predictor after Sunday's race, that should be meaningful for Berlin.  Of course that depends on whether you intend to 'race' the 20 miler.

A prediction based on a 5km time really only has some level of accuracy for shorter distances.

Great WAVA :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve had a response back and it was averaging 26 miles a week in the 4 months up to Valencia.  Off that he did a sub-37min 10k, 1:22 Half and then went and got his sub-3. Also, he said he only did a couple of runs longer than 10 miles but did lots of mile and km reps, and also quite a lot of walking with a (light) rucksack. Really interesting, but I don’t think that would work for many, would it, but it obviously worked for him. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Too late  :D 
    No idea what to do on sunday,people say running that far at MP isn't ideal,but 20 mile pace would be a bit quicker so don't know what is best,any suggestions?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - no, I think you're right that's not going to work for many.   Sounds like his base work was the walking with rucksack, I guess that could easily have been 20 odd miles a week or even more.   He walks fast, I've seen him around town and he strides out at a good steady pace and that's just when I've seen him walking to work.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it has to be your choice re Sunday.   I put 1:26 in the race calculator (I think that's your half PB?) and that's predicted a 2:14:40 for 20 miles (6:44 pace).  You have to consider your recovery time etc., personally I think you'd recover in plenty of time.   I like 20 mile races, they're like marathons without the sting in the tail, the last 6 miles, when plans unravel.

Why not look back at some of your marathons and see where you were at the 20 mile point, and if you can remember how you felt at that point of the race.

But it's absolutely your choice what you want to do, you're guaranteed a PB whatever pace you run.
  • I did 8 very slow miles today (11 min/mi pace). Felt dodgy yesterday - very niggly and woozy-headed. Later on I found a really big insect bite on my ankle which I reckon is the cause of the dizzy feeling I had (I'm still a bit off kilter but a lot better than yesterday). I had one in the same place two years ago and ended up on antibiotics and really felt unwell with it, so I hope this one doesn't go the same way.
    Anyway, got through this morning's run and should be OK for parkrun tomorrow. I will book in with my physio anyway - I want to get on top of my niggles as my marathon is getting every closer and I've a half in two weeks.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, not sure what is best really.  Part of me would be tempted to race it, but maybe getting to 20 at MP and feeling good would be a confidence booster.  Or how about doing 10 at MP and then picking it up if you feel you can, as that would be a confidence booster as well?  I think this far out you don't need to be worried about not recovering in time for Berlin, even if you do race it.  But if you're planning on using new shoes, different kit or different fuelling, maybe try it out at the 20 miler.

Cal, well done on the run.  Let's hope the bite comes to nothing this time.

I did 6-miles this morning and it felt  like strange running conditions as there was a bit of a head wind which was cooling for some of it, but in the sun it was hot.  Came back drenched from an easy-paced run.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Interesting comments m,I was expecting you to say 10 easy and 10 MP,will see how my legs are after last night and decide sunday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, all bases covered there then :) I just wonder if racing it isn’t a bad idea as you can use that in a race calculator as a good gauge for your marathon pace. But having said that, I’ve only ever done one 20-miler, so I’ve no real personal experience with that approach.  I don’t actually know for sure what I’d do in your situation!!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I fancied another run this evening, so I went along to Trotters "Friday Club".  It's an informal session that happens most Fridays, and is a 12x45-sec interval session.  I did 2.5 miles beforehand and then did the session, for a total of 5-miles.  I had a good session, so glad I went.

It'll just be a parkrun tomorrow as I won't be running there and back on this occasion, due to the Half on Sunday.  I may try and do the middle mile at about 7:30min/miles (i.e, Half pace) just to see what that feels like, but take the other miles easier.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope you're OK, I remember last time you had a nasty bite and it affected you badly.

Big G - your fitness is definitely coming back with you fancying doubles and doing club sessions as your 2nd session of the day.   Are you still planning to train with the Tri club, is that more for the winter perhaps?

Have you had a chance to try the chest strap(s) to see if they're a better fit?    I know you'd said you might wear your HRM on Sunday.

Lovely 8 miles this morning, lovely morning a bit fresher than yesterday, no galloping badgers today :(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't tried the straps yet.  I had a bit of an issue last weekend as I got quite a bad rash on day 1, which then got worse on day 2.  It's near where the strap would be so I'm just letting that get better first, and currently have to taped when I run.  Shame, but I'll try it at some point, but I don't think I'll be wearing it for tomorrow's race.  

Yes, I'm feeling quite good but this week will be quite a low mileage week for me.  Even with tomorrow it'll only be around 40 miles.

Torbay parkrun went fine today.  Quite enjoyable and forecast rain stayed away although there was a bit of a breeze, and I've just submitted my report to the run director.   Everyone involved with parkrun is keeping quiet about the new proposed route - I think they're just waiting to see what the Council finally decide, which is fair enough.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there'll be plenty more opportunities to record your HR in forthcoming races.

Hope that rash is OK now.  Not what you want in warm conditions when running.

Incidentally I see the new 100MC vests are the same brand as Trotters new kit.   I commented on the 100MC vest to a lady running on Sunday and she said they are hot and quite sticky to run in.   I still have my 100MC vests, they are the older kit, I use them for training, wore one this week and it's really light and comfy, Ron Hill brand.  One of my vests is 16 years old, print is a bit faded but wearing well, i.e. not in a distressed state such as Wurzel's old vest. ;)  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't like the new Trotters kit, and I'm not even talking about the design.  I wore it at Kingsbridge 10k and I know it was warm that evening, but it was sticking to me after only a mile or two.  In fact, even after a mile warm up I could feel it beginning to stick.  It's really not pleasant to run in.  I haven't tried the shirt yet, but I think that will be the same.  It's a bit of a dilemma actually as obviously Trotters rules are pretty clear that we have to wear club kit, and this new kit will be the only thing allowed from January.  I've even invested in an Under Armour shirt, with the aim of putting a vest on top, but that's not really an ideal solution in the summer especially.  To be honest, it's a bit of a worry as I do so many races but I can't really go against club rules, being on the committee especially!  It's not helped by the fact that I do sweat quite a lot.  Not sure what the way forward is for me at the moment.

I really need to get on top of the rash though as it's one of the reasons that I'm put off doing triples or quads.  The thought of running around day 3 and 4 with a rash really isn't something to look forward to, hence the Under Armour purchase.  I've tried all the creams to no avail, but the next thing I'm trying is K-Tape to cover it in advance of a run.  I've tried other tapes/plasters but they fall off....