Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Honk-That didn't take long  ;) 
    I'm looking at next Autumns plans,does anyone know of any halfs that are ran when they do fulls so I can take OH with me? I've seen Eindhoven but not sure of any others?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Honk, nice one. 

Ian, I think Bruges, Munich, Palma de Mallorca and Brussels all have both distances. I didn’t actually run Brussels (illness) so can’t comment on that really. Sofia has as well, but I’ve not done that one yet. San Sebastián does too but that’s November so possibly a bit late?

In terms of a time, I loved Bruges, but there could be a potential issue with times. I wasn’t impacted by it but when I did it the website said something about a train may cross and stop the race, and any time stood there would be taken off the race time. I thought I’d mention that as I did wonder what would happen for GFA etc. As I say I wasn’t impacted anyway. Palma was really hot when I did it!  I think Munich Half starts a couple of hours or so after the marathon, and starts at a different place so I suppose logistics could be a slight problem for two of you. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    PS, it’s been a long day, but got home safely. Really bad weather on landing and part of the drive home. Very tired and achilles sore from the drive. I think/hope I’ll sleep well tonight!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Thanks I'll have a look at them.
    My prediction from Sunday was about right,at halfway I was 4607,and finished 3525 so took over nearly 1100,or a quarter of the people ahead of me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Cal - that is a bargain, are they fairly convenient for you?

Honk - there's no hope for you once you join this thread, didn't take long at all for you to enter another one!  
    How about your nephew, is he still in the 'never again' mode?

Ian - no chance of OH signing up for a marathon yet then?

That's a lot of runners to overtake in a race :o 

Big G - long tiring day for you, but if it's any consolation if you'd travelled earlier there was a 7.5 mile tailback due to a car fire on Telegraph Hill, that was at tea time.   Hope the achilles isn't too bad today.

When you surface today can you let me know your October marathons please, I only have you down for Loch Ness at the moment.

I think I have everyone else's, one for Cal, one for Ian, one for Louey.  Not sure about Keith?

6 miles today, very strong headwind on my run out, had to come back the same way as too dark for the unlit back road, rain for the last 10 minutes but it's warm, about 16 degrees.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope the Achilles is ok.
    Shades-She mentions possibly doing one occasionally but not got round to it yet.
    It felt like I was overtaking a lot,that was despite a slower last mile when I wouldnt have took over many.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the ones I’ve definitely booked in for are below. I’ve a couple more that I may do (Davey’s), but it depends on how I’m feeling so best not add them to the list just yet, although as I type this I’m expecting/hoping I’ll be at them both. 
    Loch Ness - 6th Oct
    Sofia - 13th Oct
    Chelmsford - 20th Oct

Yes, I saw that about the tail backs. Sounds like I was lucky in that regard then.

Ian, that’s really great running and those splits were brilliant. I think there’s an issue with mine though as my official splits and certificate show different finish places. I did (purposefully) slow but not by that much as you can see in the splits (1:41:30/1:45:34 isn’t *that* bad) so I was surprised when one set of data shows that 5000 overtook me in the last 2.2k! The certificate may be more accurate for me possibly as certainly people were streaming past when I was getting a pic taken, but 5000 seemed unlikely. 

• Cal - That does seem like a good deal, especially in London! Also congrats on the 2*200 mile months. That'll pay dividends in Yorkshire.
    Even though I'm racing a 10k, I stuck with the usual HM workout, so 8 miles with 2 at HM pace and some strides. Miles came out at 6:06/6:21, first one was too fast, but second was in the right ballpark for HM/LT pace.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Big G-The way I read that,was the first half you came 7569(if the race ended then) and 11000th if it was a 2nd half race only,but says your final position was 7044 so suggests you overtook 500 in the 2nd half net.
    looking at it again,on the race report I think those 5k positions are how you did in that 5k,rather than the race as a whole,so for the last bit you were 11000th from 40k to the finish,which fits with you getting pics.
    The only bit that's wrong on mine is the time/km,it appears to be based on gross time,rather than net.
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'd been considering signing up for MK for a while but wanted to make sure I actually enjoyed running marathons again before I did so, My nephew sounded quite interested in MK until he realised the Plymouth half is the same month which he has done the last 2 years and wants to do again, but im sure he will be back to do another sooner or later.
    indoor recovery cycle ride this morning and I need to at least attend tonights club session to pick up some stuff so may well join the social pace group for a 5k.
    back to work tomorrow :'(
  • Shades - Tooting track is a 10 minute jog/15 minute walk away. The gym I used to go to is closer, but twice the price, and obviously doesn't have the track.

Thanks Steve, I hope so.

Big G, good splits.

Out for 8 miles this morning. Decided to wait until 9 as I wasn't ready to run at 6.30am (if I don't get out by that point, I'll end up competing with the school run, which is a massive pain). Glad I did as it was quite pleasant with a little sunshine. Started to rain the moment I got back so my timing was impeccable.
    A small amount of discomfort from the groin after I stopped, but amazingly, nothing at all from the achilles. I can't remember that being the case in a long time. (And now I'm suspicious! I hope it's not saving it up for York!).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it won't be too long then before OH joins us marathon runners.   But I think it's important that they make that decision in their own time.

That's an awful lot, too many really, to overtake in a race.  Maybe a combination of they started too far forward and you starting a bit too far back.  It's nice to overtake a few but after a while it can become irritating and means weaving about a bit to get past.

Big G - thanks for your list, will be interested to hear about Sofia.   I've entered Davey's on the Saturday and he's just commandeered me for the Bickleigh drink station on the Sunday so I have a free entry to use up next year :) 

Re your splits/placing didn't we have this issue before?   I have a feeling that it might be something to do with the total placing includes women but the earlier placings are for male only.   A lot of the oversea races produce separate results for male and female and then seem to lose the plot when consolidating them.

Honk - glad you're recovering well and your nephew is also thinking about 'next time' :) 

Cal - that's close enough to be very convenient, so an even better deal.   

I think you might have early signs of taper fever worrying about bits not hurting that you expect them to ;) 

Run done, Pilates done, gym done and I remembered to eat my protein snack when I finished, nuts and biltong today.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It was a lot to overtake,I did start a bit further back as I was at the very back of the 3:15 pen and also went off a little slower so would have fell a little more behind.But a bigger part I think it shows how many people slow down in the 2nd half,whereas my pace was very steady.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian/Shades, not sure what it is really as I'd have thought my final position would be the same in both sets of information?  That bottom image shows overall position, gender position, and age category position, so I think that's correct.  The top image jumps a lot of places from 40k to the finish, but my pace didn't really drop all that much, so I think that's wrong.  So I think the top image is correct in terms of the 5k splits/pace, and the bottom image is correct for the positions.  

Shades, yes, I found Yorkshire marathon's results confusing as there was conflicting information there as well, and it didn't tie in with what I thought happened in the race (you may remember I had a delayed start, so started a long way back and overtook a lot of people, but the results didn't really show that).  I wrote to Yorkshire actually, but didn't get a satisfactory answer.  I'm not too bothered as obviously not in danger of winning/placing anything!!

Ian, are you going to enter Berlin again?  I see the ballot system is open now.  Or with your new time, are you guaranteed an entry now?  Or do you just fancy something different, regardless?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I'm sure you're right, so many slowing down.   Most do slow down in the 2nd half.   Of course Berlin is also a race that because of a flat fast course so many will try for a PB.

How's the knee today?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I'm undecided,I did love it so might well enter again,no chance of guaranteed entry,its 2:55.I tend to do 2 in the autumn so might find one at the start that we can both look at then Berlin at the end.
    Shades-It's better but still not right,will give it a day or 2 more.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I remember now about York, I guess some of the staff of these races don't know how the timing works either.

Doesn't Berlin have another race too, on line skating, is that distorting the results, in overall finishers perhaps?  

Ian - that's promising re the knee.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I am very tempted - in fact, I've reserved the same hotel again.  They offered me a better offer when I checked out, so I booked it and I can still cancel it if I need to.

Shades, not sure.  The skating was the day before, so presume those results would be separate, but I haven't actually checked that.

I found a YouTube link of the whole race, so I've watched that this morning.  Obviously knowing the result/outcome, it was amusing to hear the commentators say Bekele would be happy to settle with a top 3 position at 31k when he didn't respond to a surge in pace and dropped off.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh it can't be the skating then. I think I should have said in line skating not on line  :/

It's so hard to resist rebooking for the following year's race when you've enjoyed the event so much.   That's my problem, if I like a race I want to do it again and again, which is why I'll never do all the races on my wishlist.

I haven't watched the Berlin race, don't seem to have so much time what with the gym plus I'm trying to watch all the interesting bits of the World Athletic Championships too this week.  Don't know how I ever found time to work  ;)
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    think ive been too caught up in my own excitement to congratulate big G and Ian on their Berlin runs, sorry Guys great running.

been looking at my own pacing, not sure exactly where half way was as my garmin measured the distance at 26.46 miles but I did the first 13.2 miles in 2:13:56 then was at 26.4 in another 2:12:35 with my last mile and 0.46 mile being the fastest splits, I don't believe I ever achieved that before when I was running regular marathons, but i'm super pleased with it.

Not sure if its down to:-

a) a more conservative time goal (I was always chasing a pb before that my times at shorter distances suggested was possible but I never achieved. (3:30 target 3:40 pb) 

b) better nutrition, never used to worry too much about this maybe the odd jelly baby or Gel as and when I fancied it, relying mainly on sports drink, this time I trained and raced eating sweets (jelly babies, Fangtastics0 on every odd mile, Dates on every even mile plus the odd satchet of honey when I felt like it, (too tight to buy energy gels) probably a lot more food intake there than the average runner I also carried a sports drink to sip between water stations.

C) ive heard the body gets better at endurance as you get older.

D) I dont believe its due to better training, always used to do more runs, more mileage and harder sessions but I believe getting more recovery days works better for me know.

maybe, I was too conservative with my time goal this time this time around, I could certainly of gone faster as felt good at the finish but lack of racing meant I wasnt sure if the 4:30 goal was achievable, probably aim for 4:15 at the next one. in any case I wanted to enjoy this one and not die towards the end having gone off too fast.

one last photo from me, better quality than the others, sums up the day nicely for me as it shows the 3 of us that managed to stick with the 4:30 pacer whittled down from maybe 15 or 20 around the 6 mile mark.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it's a problem!  There's plenty of time to think about it as the ballot is open all month, with no advantage of getting the entry in early.  If I could afford it, I'd enter everything!  The only issue is the price as at €125 I think it's quite expensive.  The miser in me always thinks what other races that would buy me - it would pretty much buy me 4 entries into things like Sofia or Cornish.  But as I enjoyed it so much, I suppose I have to say it was worth it.  But then, that €125 (plus flights and everything else) could go towards another big race, like Two Oceans or some other race.  Decisions, decisions!  One other difference between this and London is that you commit to paying the entry fee when you enter the ballot - i.e., if you get a ballot place, you automatically then get charged, whereas from memory at London you can pay the race entry after you've got the place, so in theory could decide not to take the place.  But then London ballot results are out very soon - I know I've got a very slim chance, but I suppose you never know.

I was out for a 4-miler this morning and it occurred to me another difference.  At Rotterdam the bag drop was very disorganised (and time consuming) and was also positioned at the back of the race, a long way from the start line.  So after I dropped my bag off, I then had to fight my way through everyone to get to my starting pen towards the front, which I have to say was quite stressful.  As well as runners, spectators were lined all along there too.  With Berlin, there were gates/entry points along the side of the race into the relevant pens, so much easier to get into position, and only runners were permitted anyway near that start area.  Yes, it was busy, but much easier than Rotterdam which was a nightmare in comparison.

Honk, I reckon a big reason you enjoyed the experience so much was because you were sensible at the start.  A negative split can be great feeling/motivator when it all comes together like that.  As you say, going off too quickly and then fading isn't a nice feeling.  Now you've got this one in the bag, you can look at maybe knocking a few minutes off of that at the next one :)  If you can, maybe enter a couple of halfs too and race those, and use those times as the basis of setting a realistic marathon goal time.
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Big G, ive been looking at local halves this afternoon, however , I also have a bit (lot) of miser in me, the next local half is an off road race, so not ideal for goal setting anyway, then I saw it was £30 to run on the same trails as I regularly run for free so I ended up volunteering to marshall for that one instead, at least I can feel good about marshalling.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Honk-It's a great feeling being strong at the end,if MK is your next then you can definitely improve at least 15 mins in that time.
    Big G-I like the fact you have to commit to berlin in the ballot,means you are more likely to have people who are serious about doing it rather than time wasters.
    Looks like they've fixed the results on the report now and pics are available,theres a couple I really like so may buy them.
    Shades-How was Budapest? Think I remember you saying you did it.
  • Great photo, Honk. Love the shorts though I think you're brave to wear them in this weather!

Another 8 miles this morning and I managed to get out early. It was pretty chilly - wore long sleeves and gloves for the first time since early spring. Was going to do 10 but realised part-way through that I didn't really feel like it, and with a half on Sunday it wasn't going to do me any harm to take it a bit easier this week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Honk - that was great pacing you did at Barnstaple, you should be very pleased with that.   You look very comfortable in that photo, I think that was at about 20 miles so you look remarkably fresh at that point.

I think it's a combination of everything A to D in your list.

Yes, you know that you can go faster at MK if you want to.  Maybe if you can find a decent road half marathon before then that will give you some indication.

That's a lot of money £30 for a trail half marathon, where they're not paying for road closures/police etc, trying to make too much money I think.   See if you can find a good club race, they are usually much better value.   I think I paid about £16 for a good road half this year.

Big G - €125 is an eyewatering price for a marathon, I'm assuming that's without a shirt too.   But it's hard to put a price on having a great time and enjoying the marathon too, you could stay home and run around TBL 4 times at that price, but I know which I'd rather do.    When I go away I like a nice hotel, so even if I'm on a limited budget I plan and budget for a decent hotel in a convenient location because that's important to me, I like my comforts.  I do what I can to save money, booking early etc but I don't want to stay in some crummy place.   We all choose what we want to spend our money on.

Ian - I loved Budapest marathon, most of the course is along the Danube, can't remember any hills, just a few bridges, I think some bits were out and back, weather was perfect   Big impressive buildings along the way to see with even more impressive statues, great atmosphere.   Found the race really friendly, I was able to pick my number up on race morning.  Still one of my favourite race shirts, really good fit and quality material.   It was 4 years since I was there and then incredibly cheap to eat out etc.   Big G was actually there the same weekend, but he was on a lads/beer weekend so probably can tell you more about the city than I can.   I intend to go back again, I still have most of the currency left as it was so cheap I spent very little.  When I go back again I think I still get €20 off the entry fee for having run the race before.

Circuits done, not so gentle today, he worked us hard.   Followed by leg session in the gym.  Just had my 2nd breakfast :) , no run today, it's a rest day. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Cal - I wandered off to get my 2nd breakfast.

You've prepared well for Sunday, and York, as you say nothing to be gained by squeezing a couple more miles in  now.

Fresh here too this morning, sunny now but still only about 13.
  • Ian - Are you just looking for overseas marathons/half? If UK then Edinburgh and Bournemouth are options for you.
    Cal - Yes it was freezing this morning!!
    Easy 6 miles today, like Cal said, very cold. I wore thin gloves but my hands were very cold when I got back. Think it was 4c when I went out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - this is a beautiful marathon and a half too.   The half has won lots of awards.   

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Been a while since we had a marathon PB on the list :) 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it's €30 for a shirt and €6 for a timing chip!  Yeah, we've all got our own priorities.  I suppose when I'm no longer "chasing numbers" after the 100, my own priorities may change a bit too.

Cal, as you say, nothing to be gained at this point.

7-miles for me this morning.  Can definitely still feel Berlin in my legs, so hoping they'll start feeling a bit better for the weekend.