Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Well done all, seems like it was a very busy weekend and a successful one for most. For those of you that it didn't go to plan, I'm sorry to hear that and I'm sure you'll be back to get those goals another day.

Quick question regarding the training plan (which I don't intend to start until January)

What are the views on Parkrunning? There is an optional run each week which I wasn't sure where it would fit in, but I do love my wee parkrun!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - that is progress that the hospital have signed you off and that you're doing well with your plans to regain your fitness.

That's a speedy weight loss too, don't lose it too fast otherwise it will be too strict a regime to adhere to.

Big G - it may be no more than tight hip flexors so regular stretches can help with that.   I regularly used to get that particularly after races but the last year or so I've been OK.  We do a lot of hip stretches/work in Pilates and I think that helps.

Good news about the bag, more airlines are doing that as often not enough room for all the cabin baggage and delays boarding time too when everyone is faffing around.

Steve - fabulous result.   It doesn't matter about just missing your PB, you raced that like a professional for a podium place.  All that hard work paid off.

Cal - interesting news about Bournemouth, I expect their race numbers were down as I think there were 6 road marathons on yesterday and they're not good enough to compete with them.
    Bournemouth is/was on my to do list but high entry fee plus fleecing the runners for an additional £8+ for a bus fare for only a couple of miles has so far put me off.   I was talking about the bus fare issue with a running friend at Barnstaple and he uses his OAP bus pass at Bournemouth so doesn't get fleeced for the fare.  Apparently the route is up and down the same road a few times so not brilliant.  I believe a better half than full.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - use your parkrun as your tempo run, just do a warm up and warm down of a minimum of one mile each and parkrun in the middle.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Good news you are signed off,hopefully recovery is pretty imminent.
    Steve-Brilliant racing,podium finish  :) to be only slightly off your PB with those issues is amazing,what is next?
    Cozy-Cal does tons of parkruns so it can definitely be fitted in,the plan can alter around your life,so my longest run is often Tuesday as that fits with my schedule better,so see what fits yourself.
    Shades/Big G-Safe flight home.
    Still feel a bit run down but very much over the worst,I remembered I had a bit of a sore throat when I got to Berlin so that may have been the start of it,then racing and being on a plane back probably brought it out,anyway 8 slower miles today,felt ok but pretty slow compared to normal but just happy to be out again.
  • Oh yes, Cozy...I'm a parkrun tourist...I love my weekly parkrun. It's part of my speed training - it's good for VO2 max but I'll also use it as a tempo if I'm not feeling up to 5K pace that day. (Good hill training too, depending on the course).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ian - you were fortunate that your cold didn't develop in time to spoil your Berlin race.   Good that you're now on the mend, a cold is such a miserable thing to have.

6 miles for me this morning, I have severe DOMS in both calf muscles, particularly the left one.  I'm pretty sure that this is caused by the early miles of LN being downhill.   Yesterday I did a recovery run in Inverness but I ran along the river and it is pancake flat.   Today I've run on a 'flat for Devon' route and my calves just scream at me on the slightest downhill slope.   I have Pilates followed by the gym this morning.  Gym will be OK as it's upper body today but doubt I'll be able to manage some of the Pilates, might have to resort to a painkiller to see me through.

Bad news on the weight too, I've put on 2.2 pounds which I'm hoping is mostly post marathon fluid retention.   Really bad timing as I have my next assessment at the gym tomorrow to have my fat% etc measured.

Good news though my RHR is back to normal :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, I love parkrun too, although I tend to take them fairly easy most weeks. 

It was a good, clear drive home last night. OH was at a meal out with colleagues, so I watched the men’s marathon from the world champs. Fantastic performance from Callum Hawkins. I saw an interview with him afterwards and he said he’d prepared for a lot worse conditions and actually found it fine on the day.  With about a mile to go he hit the front and even though I knew the final result, it was great to see. Fair play to him, especially after what happened at the Gold Coast.

I’ve no news yet on London Marathon - no mag, email and also my online profile isn’t showing anything.

No running for me today, and probably not tomorrow either. Forecast for Sofia is 25degs :sunglasses:  So last week I was moaning about the cold/rain and this week I’ll be moaning about the heat :)
  • Big_G I have serious issues in taking it easy at parkrun, dunno if it's just because of the short distance or if I'm just far too competitive.
    I'm actually thinking of volunteering myself as a 25 minute pacer throughout my marathon training to force me to behave myself!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was pleasantly surprised that the M5 was so clear last night, I had a quick trip home too.   But I didn't have the energy to watch the men's' marathon.   I'm planning to do that this afternoon, I too already know the outcome.

That will be quite a change in the temperature for you this coming weekend, didn't realise it would be that warm for you.   Does the race start fairly early?

I thought you could log in and it would show you now if ballot was successful by now, I just saw this on another thread, if you look at a recent post.  Or does that only apply to successful ballot entries?

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/348841/london-2020#latest

Cozy -you don't need to slow down at your parkrun, tempo pace is fairly speedy anyway.   And I recommend racing on my plan anyway as it's the best form of speedwork, not that parkrun are races but no reason why you can't run at race pace.

Put a sick note in for Pilates so she was kind to me and I was excused the balance stuff which my calf muscles wouldn't have managed anyway.   Gym done too.  As I have to do my body fat analysis done first thing tomorrow I'm having it done fasted, that's not really a problem but the no coffee is a problem for me.   But my kind instructor says I can take coffee to circuits class and drink it during the class :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, my online profile for London just has an entry for the ballot itself, but with no update about the ballot result.  There's also a section on the profile about "Communications" and it currently only shows the initial ballot entry email comms.  For the weekend the race starts at 9:30am, but it's two hours ahead so I don't know what difference that may make.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I just presumed Bulgaria was cold at this time of the year.
    Shades-My registration page doesn't show anything at the minute,guess it will change the day I get the email.
    Another crappy run today,just cant seem to get going again since berlin,8 miles but over 20 sec/mile slower than usual easy pace.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G/Ian - I just assumed that everyone's status re London ballot would be updated at the same time, obviously not.   How annoying is that for you all waiting to hear  :# 

Big G - I just looked at forecast.co.uk for Sofia and it says 9 degrees at 9am and 21 degrees by 3pm so it might be OK for the race and nice and warm afterwards, which would be lovely.

Ian - it will take some time to bounce back after a cold, just take it easy until you're 100% again.  Knee and achilles OK?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Today's post has just been delivered and no magazine, either way.  I'm not sure what the criteria is for receiving a mag as I believe some are getting mags, and others just getting emails, and I think receiving a mag may (or may not) be related to if the individual bequeathed their fee, and so receives a running top if they're not successful (I didn't bequeath my fee).

Shades, I hadn't checked the hourly weather breakdown.  That would be good running conditions.  Quite looking forward to visiting the city actually but I just hope the hip is okay.  It's a two-lapper and I believe quite flat.  Good for OH as she can see me a few times if she wants, but won't really have to travel too much, or at all if she doesn't want to.  I think each lap is effectively a short loop of the old town area, and then an out-and-back section back to the start/finish.  Not sure if it's an especially picturesque course, but I'll find out soon enough.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Someone made a good point somewhere else,Premier league fantasy football has millions of players,can run calculations for everything that happens in a game and update thousands of league tables in a couple of hours,yet London cant send out 500k emails in 2 days or update the pages.
    Yeah knee and Achilles are fine which is great,suppose I was hoping to have  a big week this week so a bit frustrated.
  • Just to add to the discussion, I've had no email, magazine or update on Buzz regarding London yet!
    I have signed up for Edinburgh as I thought it was last week for London, so if I get a place I'll be doing my first and second marathons within a month of each other!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just read that they are sending all emails and updating realbuzz tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that makes sense that the rejection magazines would only be sent out to the bequeathed fees as they get a top or something too.   It would be an extraordinary waste of money to send a magazine to the other rejects when an email would do.

Sofia sounds like a good race and place to visit.  I picked up a copy of Distance Running at LN Expo and so many marathons in so many tempting places.

Ian - well those bizarre experiments that realbuzz were doing last week were a pre-warning that notifications might not go smoothly.

Well that's a bonus that your enforced rest has given your knee and achilles time to heal.

Cozy - ha, ha.  Well you've come to the right thread for multiple marathons.  But if you do get a place in London you could always choose to defer until 2021 should you not want to run both.

Haven't watched the men's marathon, I did start watching then promptly fell asleep as it makes me tired watching them run, too much empathy.  Will watch it tomorrow.
  • Ditto, Big G...
    Shades, hope it's just some stiffness.
    6 miles this morning - probably should have made it 5 but I've not done a training run less than 6 in so long it didn't really occur to me to run less. Started off well - felt little tiredness from the race, but some niggles started to creep in towards the end. Nothing major though.
    I have just taken delivery of a new gadget - one of those percussion massage guns. Rather pricey
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just noticed that it's meant to be this weekend that Kipchoge goes for sub 2 again.Looking at the weather they might go for Saturday but I'm hoping its Sunday as I'm working Saturday.
  • I'm hoping Sunday too - I'll be at parkrun on Saturday!
    I decided not to run today. Didn't want to get out of bed this morning, which is unusual for me, and I feel tired and a bit run-down. For once I'm going to listen to my body. The training is done so there's not much to be gained at this point, but there are plenty of ways I can bugger it up.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sounds a good idea to take a day off.  As you say, the training's done.  I can't remember now - do Yorkshire send out race numbers?  Doesn't happen too often these days does it, but I received the race number for Chelsmford in the post the other day.

Cal, I haven't heard of those massage guns.  They look a bit like a power tool that you may find in a shed!

No running for me either.  I actually feel that I could run, as the hip feels similar to what it did around this time last week.  However, probably another day or two off won't do me any harm either, in terms of this weekend's marathon.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good idea,very little to be gained now.
    Confirmation of london rejection has just updated on my dashboard.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, same here.
  • Ian - I have some ideas for next year, just need to make plans final.
    Shades - Thanks, was strange running wondering if I was going to be caught at the end, especially as I knew I had slowed. Bit of a strange race as winner was 32:xx, second was 35:xx and I was 38:xx so a big gap between finishers.
    5 mile recovery on Tuesday and 10 miles today.
  • Yes, Big G, my number is sitting on my desk (6202 if anyone wants to track me).

And I haven't got into London either, but that's a good thing. I don't think my immune system could take three marathons in a row - it struggles with two as it is (and I didn't want to have to cancel Manchester).

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry Cozy, I somehow missed your reply about parkrun.  I take them easy if I've got another race the following day so just use them as a leg stretcher, with maybe a fast(er) finish.  That's a good idea to volunteer as a pacer if you want to keep your pace down a bit.  Probably my "strangest" set of results was 2019 New Year's Day where I did two parkruns - one at 9:00am followed by a 45-min drive, and then the second one at 10:30am.  My mile splits across the two events were 7:37, 7:01, 6:57, 6:51, 6:46, 6:45, which I found quite pleasing, especially as I hadn't set out to make every mile quicker than the last.  Usually though if I've got a race the next day I'm in the region of 25-mins.

Ian, I did just have a look at Chicago and saw that with my 2018 Malta time I can (just about!) qualify for an entry, presuming they don't lower the times from what they published (do you happen to know if they do?).  I was telling Shades the other day that I think I'm doing to give Berlin ballot a miss - as you know I loved the race, but probably I need to be sensible with the cash.  However, having never really been interested in Chicago before, I found myself looking at flights the other day :smirk:  But I still think for me, after London and Berlin, New York would be the major I'd really want to do.  It's just that with my Malta time, which I haven't really got close to for 20+ months, it's a qualifying time for Chicago which is why I looked at it.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Hellooo Shadies.. sorry I've been a bit AWOL but work is a bit of a nightmare, I can't find the time to do anything! (As an aside pork with pineapple went horribly, horribly wrong yesterday).Anyway, I have been lurking on my phone and enjoying following your exploits.

Ian - Glad your Achilles hasn't flared up.; you'll get back into the swing of your mileage soon. Actually I always feel really unfit after a marathon. I only do about 2/3 a year but it seems to take me ages to recover from them. Perhaps it's because I've never managed a Shades recovery run the day after  :p

Steve - Yay on the podium place!.. fab result, well done you. 

Honk - Thank you for posting a photo of you in those shorts. I was sort of hoping you would do that but didn't want to ask. Marvellous news that you've already entered another marathon.. a true Shadie!

Rob - That is really good news that the hospital team have signed you off and you are definitely on the road to recovery. All you need to do now is make an appointment for that injection to sort your PF out  B)

Cal - Congratulations on your PB! You are on top form there.. can't wait to see how you get on at York.

Big G - Well done on a good time at LN inspite of still having Berlin in your legs plus a couple of niggles. Hope the soup got back ok  :D

Shades - Lol at you carefully locking your Garmin away before thinking about your passport! LN sounded like a bit of a tough race for you but you enjoyed it anyway. Hope the sore throat doesn't come to anything. I would like to do that race one day.. maybe tying it in with a tour of Scotland's whisky distilleries. That would be an ideal trip for me.
    How did you get on with your tests at the gym?

i've been trying to squeeze my running in but the mileage has taken a bit of a drop. School holidays in two weeks though so will try to ramp it up again then. I badly need some new trainers too; haven't bought any for over a year and am recycling my old pairs. Will have to wait until payday but I'm paranoid about picking up another bloody injury.

Good long run on Sunday, 31k done easier than last week. On a nature watch note I clocked two llamas, a white tiger and a monkey... beat that Big G!!

(Zavatta's travelling circus is passing through our town  :D:D:D )

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Cal - I've never heard of a percussion massage gun, I hope it does what you need it to do.   It sounds like it might be painful :'( 

Yes, rest.  Your training is done and you can give yourself a chance to get over that run down feeling.

That's good that York post out numbers as when I get round to doing it I will probably stay a fair distance away as York is fairly pricey and it will also break up the drive up there for me.

Ian - I'd like Kipchoge to run on Saturday as I have a race on Sunday ;)    When will they decide, and how much notice will there be?

Big G - seems like you're recovering well though.

I've only watched the first 5 minutes of Cardiff Half, but YT is there on the start line with his name on his bib not a number and clapping as the elite are introduced. 

I did look at the prices for Chicago a few years ago but it would have been a very expensive trip, so dismissed it.   I think NY has a much greater appeal.   

Steve - yes, a different sort of pressure in a race when you do not want to be caught and lose your podium place. 

Bad luck to those of you that really did want a 2020 London place.

Well I've had a really good morning.  My 2nd assessment for my body fat analysis etc.    I woke up starving but had to fast and no coffee either before.  I cooked a cheese omelette and made coffee and took them to the gym and once I'd been on the machine I was at least able to have a coffee during circuits and eat later.   

5 weeks since my first assessment and I've gained 0.7kg of muscle and lost 0.7kg of fat, my body fat % is down by 1.5%.   I've lost fat all over and particularly on my torso, which is good.   Have gained muscle on my legs too which is really promising as I've only done 7 sessions in the gym on legs, have done 11 on upper body.   Instructor is really pleased with my progress too.

At home I've also checked my measurements and despite only losing 4 pounds in weight I've lost nearly 8 inches.

So very happy with progress especially as afterwards I went to Aldi and was able to buy a turkey, I so love turkey, my favourite meat.
    :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - sorry xpost.  I wandered off to make another coffee as I still have a caffeine deficit for the day and need to catch up.

Sorry about the pork and pineapple going wrong, even the best cooks have disasters.

It's much harder for you to get time to train with the cooking isn't it?    But well done on another long run done and dusted

You've been a long time without new running shoes.   Keep a look out on the internet as the autumn shoes are out/coming out and the prices of the older models will drop again.

When you do finally get to go to LN, let me know and I'll come up too.  I'll skip the distilleries tour though ;)   Inverness airport is very small but has a huge booze section mostly dedicated to whisky/malts etc.
  • No worries Big G, I guess I'll see how I feel come the time of the proper training starting.
    Just got my London knock back, so all roads lead to Edinburgh!