Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Hey Shades, legs are fine but immune system is in the crapper. I've been feeling poorly all week. It's like a cold but without the snot. Fed up with it - I would have liked to have got out for a run by now. Ah well, I guess it's good I have no races booked for the rest of the year (yet, anyway).
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's you and Louey both coming down with post marathon virus/bug. Annoying when your legs feel good and ready for a run.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Not sure how fast the Stirling marathon course is but maybe an option for you next autumn unless you're planning to head to Europe.
    If you're considering Dublin next year I think entries open the day after this year's race so that would be Monday.

Or wait for Ian's review and if tempted go to Frankfurt?  
  • Shades - After 4 weeks of reduced (30-35 miles a week), 2 during taper and 2 relaxed weeks after, I don't feel in good shape now! I think I'll run to parkrun this weekend, won't be PB chasing, but be good to turn the legs over.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, great pics - and a strange story about the frying pan there!!

No running today although I felt I probably could have gone out today. But I thought I’d take today plus Friday off as well, and then see how I get on over the weekend. Not ideal as I’d prefer to be running in the week too and it’s amazing how quickly/easily I’ve kind of got out the regular habit, but overall I think it’s for the best. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal/Louey-I had the same Ill feeling after berlin,when your body is beaten up it's easier to catch something.
    Steve-With a rested body you could easily surprise yourself at parkrun.
    Mama-Thats some great pics and good story about the frying pan,well done on the rescue.
    Finished work today so that's me done now,been a few busy days but a day off tomorrow before an early flight saturday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I'm sure you're in better shape than you think, but it is coming to the end of the year and a good time to ease up a little and recharge the batteries.

Big G - an extra rest day is a good idea, you've got plenty of miles planned for the weekend ;) .   Looks like a very wet and windy day tomorrow but we should be sheltered from the wind once we get onto the trail.    Sunday dry and cold, you might want to leave some warmer kit along with your sandwich with me.  :) 

Ian - chance for you to get a bit of rest today then.   Forecast looks very good for you in Frankfurt.   We had good conditions last year but a chilly start.

Rest day for me today too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    More 2020 marathon news, I was hoping to do Conwy Marathon next year but it clashes with Barnstaple on 27th September.  I believe that Conwy is a fast course too and they've added a 10 mile and 20 mile option.   Early bird entries are open now

https://alwaysaimhighevents.com/index.php?q=conwy-marathon/conwy-marathon-home
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Weather looks really good,not bad for NYC either at minute.
    That's another race that's only 1 week before Chester,ideally looking for 1 3 or 4 weeks before,but the main ones seem really close.
    Just checked in for my flight tomorrow and they've given me a free emergency exit seat :-) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - NY weather can be very unpredictable and vary a lot in temperature at that time of year so that will be good if it's not too cold.  Central Park looks amazing in the autumn.

Perfect to have the emergency exit, that should be more leg room for you.

It is frustrating that the marathons don't fall in with our racing plans but it's good that we're getting more autumn road marathons now.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Good luck tomorrow,hope the weather stays away.
    Went for 4 easy miles today just to turn the legs over as I haven't ran since Monday,little sprint up a hill to wake them up but all good.
    Just realised the clocks change on Sunday so I lose an hour with the time difference but gain it back overnight,as it happens USA time changes next week so gain an hour there also   :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - good luck to you too at Frankfurt.  I hope you enjoy it.

The clocks going back the night before a race is always welcome as a little more time to rest or faff around with kit etc.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - That's good news on the leg room.. I'd take that as a good omen (bit like lucky pants etc)

Big G - Yes, frying pan was a bid odd but as my runs are, in the large, pretty much the same scenery wise, then anything a bit different sticks in your mind. I also do mind games on runs over 15k and try and remember something significant for each km then play this back over in my mind as I progress trying to remember everything in order. Needless to say the frying pan is always the "event" on that particular route! 
    Hope the rest days do you good and recharge those batteries a bit.

Shades - That's interesting regarding muscle gain/weight loss. You really are in the hands of an expert there with that coach you've got. Couldn't ask for better.
    Yes those dates you've got are correct. I hadn't actually entered Cognac until you mentioned a while ago that you'd put me on the list for it. After injuries, rubbish training etc I was leaning to probably only doing La Rochelle this year. However, you sort of nudged me into entering it. And it's done now  :#
    Unfortunately I don't think my lacklustre runs are down to maranoia but just a woeful lack of training. Being wiped out with PF for 6 months has set me back more than I realised then spending weeks walking as I thought I had major heart problems due to my HRM giving me sky high readings (Let's not go there) didn't help either. I also keep comparing my stats to my training a year ago which I probably shouldn't do but I can't help it.. and that makes for very depressing reading. Will just keep plugging on and hope that things improve a bit in the next couple of weeks.

Average 18k done this morning in perfect autumn weather. Came home and made myself poached eggs on toast. Sorry for using the t word there Shades but it really was a fabulous meal.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mamafox - glad you've got that entry in for the Cognac marathon.

I know it's so hard not to compare your training stats with last year, but you will get that level of fitness back, but for now just try and enjoy your running.  It's so much better than being injured.

Enjoy your toast, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying their food.   I'm still eating toast but only half the amount I would choose to eat.
    Going to be tricky tomorrow to stick to my macros as naturally my race fuel will be high carb except for the beef jerky.

Last night I faffed around with my new Garmin and altered the data screens.  I then decided to try the Garmin Connect and finally managed to set that up after 10 attempts, so frustrating... The manual says not to use Bluetooth, the app says you have to use Bluetooth.  Only picked up some of my data like the useless stuff, such as steps and calories.  Don't like the app so set it up on my computer today and that's much better and picked up my training too, which has now updated my phone too, but I still don't like the app. 

With MFP I have it set up on phone and PC  too, I  think the app is much better than the computer version.   

Funny how the app and computer versions can be so different.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Plym Trail Day 1 done. Good news is that the hip was mainly ok but I found that a real struggle today.  I had to really dig in towards the end, and scraped a sub-4 with 3:59:16 on my watch.

Weather conditions were pretty terrible at the start and the first bit is quite exposed, before heading down the hill for the first time. This part, and the uphill section to halfway, went ok in that I was trying to run easily, with the hope that this would help the hip. However, half way down the second hill I started to feel quite hungry and wasn’t really able to shake that, even with stopping at the aid stations etc. Strange really as I didn’t really do anything different to normal in the build up.

On the way back up the hill for the second time (weather was a bit better at this point) I was having a discussion with myself around a) if I should take it easy and forget any time if I want to do tomorrow or b) dig in, do my best, get a sub-4 and then let tomorrow take care of itself. I was telling myself that if I tried my best today I wouldn’t have to put myself through it again tomorrow!

3:59 is actually a reasonable time for me on this course (I do find this one quite difficult), but it was hard work today, and not because of the hip. Not sure what I’m going to do about tomorrow yet but I’m eating well today, will relax as best I can, and then I’ll decide in the morning. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done, that's a good result especially that the hip was OK as that course is no favour to injuries.  When I saw you the last time I couldn't tell by your face (you'd make a great poker player ;) ) whether you were having a good run or not, although you did seem to be running really well.

I found that tough today and the weather certainly didn't help.   The wind and the rain for the first couple of hours were really tiring and I didn't realise how windy it was until we turned for the first time at Coypool.  Weather much better in the 2nd half of the race but it started to get really cold and by the time I was doing the last 4 miles the wind had turned and we finished into a really cold headwind and I got really cold as I was still wet and got chilled.   My feet were wet from mile one and my shoes are a real mess, but thankfully no sore spots or blisters, just cold wet discomfort.

I ran out of energy at 19 miles, not unexpected really, my only token addition to my diet was one extra slice of toast this morning.   I had a few sweets, apricots, and chocolate raisins during the race, and one rain soaked ginger nut biscuit which was quite nice.  My legs started to ache from about mile 17, I'd done two heavy leg sessions in the gym this week, for my previous marathons I'd only done one leg session pre race.

I walked the last 4 miles with another runner and we had a good natter, I walked and she ran/walked as she can't walk as fast as me ;)   We crossed the line together 5:31:27, my Garmin connect tells me that moving time was 5:19, so a bit of time wasted nattering at the drink station, but of course you have to drink and replace cup at drink station.

However, my legs feel fine now.  I've had a lovely hot bath.  Must go and scan in the bag of crisps I ate post race into MFP :o , then try and find something very high protein for dinner.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G - A big well done for both of you, that didn't sound like much fun at all. I can't believe you're going to do it again tomorrow Big G. As you say, you've got that sub 4 under your belt now so just see how things go tomorrow. As a matter of interest how many marathons does that take you up to? Shades, as you ran out of energy are you going to review your new diet for your next marathon prep? Regarding MFP when I was doing it I only looked at the computer version once, the app is really good and the bonus is you've nearly always got your phone to hand to stick things in.
    That bath must have been bliss.. was it a Chanel one?!

Just an easy short forest run for me this morning. I'm planning a long run tomorrow and I'm hoping it goes better than the last couple of occasions. If I start whingeing to myself about being tired I shall think of you Big G.

You're right Shades.. it's too easy to be negative sometimes. Enjoying being able to run injury free is what's important!

Good luck Big G tomorrow (wrap up warm for the marshalling Shades) and good luck for Ian too. Looking forward to hearing about it all.
  • Well done folks. MFP sounds like a hard taskmaster!
    Still resting although I think I'm starting to improve. I met my American friend (the one who is coming to Tokyo) in town as she was here for the weekend  and we had lunch then went to Fortnum and Masons because she wanted to buy some jam for a gift. Feel quite tired now but at least I hit 10,000 steps for the first time this week.
    Marshalling at junior parkrun tomorrow - might get to go for a run on Monday (fingers crossed!)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Sounds like you both had tough races,its horrible starting in the rain as the cold gets in to your bones early on.
    Cal-You deserve the rest after last weekends effort.
    Mama-Hope tomorrow goes well.
    Got the flight fine this morning,got to frankfurt ok but then it was rail replacement bus to the hotel,just like being at home,seen the bus to the station but it was the wrong one  :/ wasnt too bad as I got the sbahn to near my hotel so only cost me 20 mins.
    Number pick up was fine,but I didn't like the expo too much,seemed very congested and it was hard to find the shirt pick up,got it eventually then left.Not done a great deal,just been for tea,so settling down now as I didn't sleep well at all last night so need a good one tonight.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - no, I'm not going to change anything for next marathon, Cornish next weekend.   Previously when I've upped the carbs and fuelled more then my weight increases post marathon and doesn't return to normal until Wednesday or Thursday, usual fluid retention, this I think is slowing my progress on the muscle/fat thing.   So I'm hoping that my weight stays the same tomorrow and Monday.
    I feel fine now and only difference is that I don't feel as dehydrated as I normally do post race.

I already have my warmest jacket ready for tomorrow's marshalling duties, forecast is sunny, dry but cold.

Yes, Chanel bath :)

Forgot to say earlier that there were some trees down due to the winds, one we had to hop over 4 times, it wasn't big but not comfortable to do that during a race, lots of tree debris down too, the visually impaired runner had to DNF as he couldn't see clearly and was worried about tripping over.   He's going to run tomorrow though.

Cal - good to hear that you're feeling better.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, I'm going to decide tomorrow morning about if I travel to the race.  My HR is sky high at the moment, and I just feel spent.  If I still feel like this tomorrow I may - reluctantly - give it a miss.   But I've eaten loads already and have a roast dinner lined up for a bit later, so with a good night's sleep I'm hoping for some improvement.  I'll set the alarm as if I'm doing it (extra hour in bed will be nice) and will decide in the morning.  I have had a busy few weeks though as since Berlin it's been five in five weekends, and all the travelling is quite tiring as well.  Not complaining as I have enjoyed it (apart from the hip) but it does take it out of me, so as I say I'll decide tomorrow AM.  Today was my 72nd, so still a long way to go.  

Ian, good news you made it to Frankfurt okay.  Best of luck at the race tomorrow.  Is it quite easy to get to the start from where you are?

Shades, yes, hopping over that tree was annoying.  I was thinking about the visually impaired runner and was wondering how he may get on.  With all the leaves and general debris down, it must have been quite tough for him.  I wasn't in danger of tripping or anything but we had to be careful with our footing today as it would have been easy to trip over fallen branches or slip on the leaves.  Similarly to you, my shoes are soaked so I'll need a different pair tomorrow if I do the race.  Funnily enough, today's were the pair that I got from that RW article - they're on 550-miles so probably have another couple of marathons in them based on other pairs of the same shoes.

Cal, you deserve a good rest.  As you say, if you fancy a gentle run on Monday, give it a whirl.  Sounds like you're being sensible as you don't want a reoccurrence of your shingles due to being run down etc.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Yes its probably about 5 mins walk,I got a great deal,its a premier inn and it cost me €37.
    72?? Think I'm exactly a quarter of that,either tomorrow is my 18th or I've done 18.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think the Expo is very busy on the Saturday.   Hope you get some decent rest now, the extra hour will be useful for you.   Have a great race tomorrow.

Big G - Hope you're feeling revived by the morning.   Your HR would be raised after a marathon so don't be concerned about that.

They sent a car down to Coypool to pick the visually impaired runner up as he wasn't happy to continue, I think the poor light didn't help his situation.  He put his chest torch on but that wasn't enough to help him 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, 72.  Since recovering from my shoulder I pencilled a few in for a vague attempt to try and get close to 80 by the end of the year, as I missed about 10 due to the shoulder.  If I get close to 80 this year, it would mean that 100th next year could be a possibility if things go okay with injuries/illness.  But I'll reassess all that when I get into the New Year.  Sounds a perfect spot then, with not much messing about to get to the start.  That was similar to me at Chelmsford as I was about 5-mins away from the start/finish - it's so much easier not having to worry too much about logistics on the morning of a big race.  Best of luck for tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - there are quite a few hotels just a very short walk from the start at Frankfurt, restaurants and shops also.  Race expo is at same venue too.  All very convenient and stress free.
    Can't wait to go back next year.

Have just downloaded the tracker for Frankfurt so might be able to use the WiFi at the hall at Clearbrook before I drive home tomorrow.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-What time would you suggest getting to the start for?dont want to be at the back of my pen again but dont want to be hanging around either.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - if you're putting a bag in you'll need to go to the Messe Hall, but if it's cold you can then wait inside, and you should be able to see how the start is filling up.  I only lined up 10 minutes before the start.  I was in the 2nd wave.   The guys from my club that I went with were all in 1st wave where I expect you are too, they didn't make any comments about crowding at the start.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I just looked at the race info and it says go to your corral by 9:50, so that's 10 minutes before start time for you.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thanks,I'll get there about 9.30 then,can decide from there then.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’ve decided to give today a miss. If you see this before the event, can you let Davey know?  I’m just not feeling myself so don’t think it’s worth the risk.