Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that seems like a good plan.

Good luck!

Big G - OK I'll tell Davey.  Hope the hip isn't too sore this morning.

But if you're not feeling right then a good decision to stay home, hope you're not getting a cold.  It's a tough course for a double even if you are feeling 100%.

If you're going to track Ian, please could you text me his result in the vain hope that I might get a brief signal at my water station.  Thanks. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Hope you feel better soon,when is your next race?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, next one is Cornish, which is next weekend. I’ve only done it once before but I really enjoyed it so looking forward to going back. It’s a challenging race - I was running well at the time and just scraped under 4hrs. 

Shades, yes, I’m tracking Ian - I’ll text you. There’s a live stream as well so hoping to watch it, although OH is off today so we may go out for lunch or something instead. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Frankfurt marathon-I was a very short walk from the start so didn't leave my hotel until 9.15,if the bag drop was too long I'd still have time to drop it at the hotel,as it was it was a super quick drop and got near my corral,seen it wasnt full so had plenty of time to warm up etc,I wasnt actually feeling good here and felt bloated,which wasnt ideal.Got into my place at 9.45 as it was starting to fill but still enough room for us.Stil not feeling good as we set off,first couple of miles were very congested as everyone found their paces,but after that there was no real issues,got to 4 miles about 90 secs behind pace and still not great so thought it was going to be a tough day.I had planned a gel every 5 miles but missed the first out as didn't want to add more to my stomach.
    Settled into a nice pace and the stomach started wasing around 10 miles so had my gel then,got to halfway in 1:33:50 and was feeling ok now,miles seemed to go by fine and got to 20 and decided to see if I could speed up,mile 23 was 6:34  :'( but I think that was a bit too fast as it drained me.At halfway I'd reset my expectations and was happy with a PB as I didn't think that was possible as I set off,got to the end and it is an amazing finish,ran in and clapped everyone watching and finished in 3:07:32,so another negative split(7 secs) and 2 mins quicker than berlin,7 mins gone in the last year.
    The race itself is great and I'd certainly recommend it,people had more race sense than berlin,not stopping dead at water stops as much,looking before they moved into your line etc.lots of hotels near the start/finish area so shouldn't be too expensive,great support in the city,bit less in the suburbs but to be expected.
    5k splits were 4:26,28,24,30,28,26,28,31 so pretty consistent again.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Very well done, Ian.  Another PB is fantastic running and your 5k splits were very consistent.  I was watching the live coverage and tracking your race.  They had finish line cameras but they stopped it at just gone 3hrs, so I wasn't able to grab a pic.

Sounds like it's another one to add to the list!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great video there, Ian. You look very happy at the end!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I was to be fair,happier as after a few miles I thought it wasn't going to go well at all so really happy to get through it as I did.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - congratulations again, great result especially as you didn't feel good at the start and in the early stages.

Brilliant video, having experienced that finish it still is so exciting to watch.

Big G - Frankfurt is definitely another one to add to the list.

Thanks for updating me on Ian's race, much appreciated.

Hope you're feeling better now.  You weren't the only DNS today.

Lovely weather today at Plym Trail, enjoyed doing the drink station.
  • Fab result, Ian! Congrats on the PB.
    Big G, sensible if you're not up to it today.

Well, one week has passed and I still haven't managed a run. My voice has gone today - I don't feel too bad but still a ways from feeling actually good. More concerned about turning into a big fat slug from the inactivity. I did marshall at junior parkrun today - perfect weather for running (which makes me a bit grumpy!)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-You've had a great racing year so time to recover by the sound of it.
    In other frankfurt news I see Steph Twell made the Olympic qualifying time in only her 2nd marathon 2:26
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    On my phone here so won’t type much..

Big G - Definitely the right decision there.. a double is hard enough without starting it feeling rough and Cornish coming up too.

Ian - Fantastic!! Another PB and 7 mins lopped off in one year. Well done you :)

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - how frustrating, I expect your legs feel fine and raring to get out there for a run.  But at least your virus was the right side of your marathon. 

Ian - that's a great time by Steph Twell, she's really come into her own now she's switched to the roads.   I believe that's a new Scottish record, that's 2 records that Liz McColgan has lost in 8 days, her daughter Eilish broke her 10 mile record at GSR last weekend.

How are the legs today?   I expect you're a bit tired travelling home after the race.

5 mile delayed recovery run for me today.   Had too early a start yesterday to get out for a run.   Legs feel fine, slight tightness in one hip flexor but couldn't even feel that by the end of the run.

Back to the gym today too.   My no carbo loading worked with keeping my weight stable, yesterday I was down nearly a pound (due to dehydration) and today I'm back to the same weight that I was for the 2 days before my marathon.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-They are bit sore,especially the quads,but not too bad at the minute.
    Back in work tomorrow for a couple of days,whereas I normally have until Wednesday off,time to taper for NYC  :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good news on the weight there, Shades.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great, Cal.  Hopefully it'll clear soon.

Ian, very exciting about NYC!  How long are you going for?

I did 6-miles this morning.  It was quite blustery conditions but I didn't find it too cold, so had a nice enough run out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hopefully you'll get rid of that quad soreness before your long flight to NY :) 

Big G - good that you're running again, is the hip OK?    We had frost here and where you used to live, but I guess you have the sea breezes now to stop the frost, no wind here though ;)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-We go Thursday and come back Monday night,going to be busy friday and saturday with visiting everywhere,but the race is an end of year party so not worried about it.
  • Ha ha, I ran out of patience around 10am so I've been for a run (a little over 4 miles). Despite having no voice I actually didn't feel bad. My legs are a bit niggly which I attribute to sitting on my arse for a week. Achilles is still good, amazingly.
    Ian - fantastic!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, busy weekend then. Sounds like you’re going to have a great time!  I have to say, I’m a bit envious!

Cal, you were obviously itching to get out today!

Shades, the hip is ok but not 100%. I’m wondering if it may be a groin strain, as you said as well. I have managed to get a physio appointment for Wednesday in Paignton so I’ll attend that just to see if I do get a diagnosis or not. I’m still doing the stretches anyway.  The main thing was the tiredness after Saturday. Often, in terms of general fitness, I do a marathon at around that pace or marginally quicker and it’s no real issue, but it was a real struggle on Saturday.  Saturday evening I was shattered and just felt very flat on Sunday too. I ate like a horse on Sunday as I felt I needed it, and did feel a better today so went for the run. 

There was no frost on the seafront and although it was a quite blustery I was out in just a shirt, shorts and light gloves and was totally fine. 
  • Ian - Superb PB....7 minutes over the year is a big chunk off at your pace!!
    Big G - Congrats at Plym, shame you missed the 2nd day.
    Shades - Congrats too!
    15 miles on Saturday, where I got absolutely soaked through and 3 miles on Sunday to finish another low mileage week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal/Big G-Good to see you both out there.
    Yes we have planned quite a bit in,but seems achievable as we have the routes etc.
    Managed 6 miles recovery run,didn't feel too bad,legs obviously sore but got into a decent stride,just the hills were painful.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you'll have a great time in NY, when the marathon is on the place is even more exciting.

Cal - great that you managed to get out for a run today, you'll make a speedy recovery now.

Big G - definitely worth getting a diagnosis, groin injuries can be tricky to diagnose.   It does seem that you're improving though, that's maybe helped by not having so much travelling home/driving/flying now.

The few runners that did the double at the weekend, most of them struggled on Sunday, even the guy that won on Saturday.  We thought it was maybe the conditions on Saturday, running against that strong wind just drains the energy.  That's probably what happened to you too. 

Steve - well done, those conditions on Saturday would for most make them change their training plans and shorten the distance.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 miles this morning, wet and windy, was a bit overdressed as I thought it was colder than it actually was.

Pilates and gym later, legs today :/
  • Shades - Also my HR is elevated, so I figure I have something, so wanted to just run easy the weekend.
    10 miles this morning....2c - that felt cold!!
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - That's good news on the weight front after your marathon. Hope the instructor wasn't too tough on you this morning.

Cal - Forgot to say earlier that I nearly always come down with something after my Autumn marathon. Two years on the trot after La Rochelle I have lost my voice completely. I remember as our school Christmas meal is normally the week after and I can only whisper at the children.

Ian - Am wildly jealous of you doing NY. How wonderful.

Steve - I've forgotten.. are you in Scotland?

Big G - Good news on the physio appt, be good to find out what's going on with that hip.

Reasonable long run on Sunday.. still way off what I should be doing that particular route in but it didn't feel like a death march which is an improvement on last week. Up early this morning for my 15k round the wind farm, got a bit of speed work in as I had to be back by 8am for a phone call which boosted me on a bit. Took my horse for a ride round the forest afterwards as it's a lovely morning and the trees are looking beautiful with all their autumn colours. A conker fell out of a tree right on to my mare. This has never happened to me before (I've been riding since I was 9) so set me thinking about the probability of that particular event happening.. pretty slim I imagine.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Steve - lots of colds/viruses doing the rounds at the moment. :(

mamafox - no she wasn't tough with us, we had a lovely, although challenging Pilates class.  My gym/circuits instructor was in the gym but not working today, he was doing his own work out so I was left to my own devices.  I do have circuits with him tomorrow morning though.

Yes, pleased that I've managed to not have fluctuating weight due to my marathon, I'll do the same this weekend, even though this weekend's race is a tough marathon.   I'm not chasing a time this weekend, it's a beautiful scenic marathon  over the roads of Bodmin Moor, past the famous Jamaica Inn of Daphne du Maurier's book.  With a hot Cornish pasty to all finishers :)

That's great news that you had a better long run at the weekend, you're good at pacing yourself in an marathon so I think you'll do better than you expect.

At least it wasn't a frying pan that fell out of the tree onto your mare ;)  
  • Is it windy around the windfarm, mamafox? I've seen a race called Run the Blades in Scotland that takes place around a huge windfarm - just wondered how windy that would likely to be!
    How did your horse take it? I used to ride quite a bit when I was young and some horses get spooked by stuff like that.

Hope the weather is OK for the Cornish, Shades.

Another lateish run today (well after 10) - I tend to feel crappiest when I first wake so I've been waiting a bit. Got 6 miles done - felt OK - a bit faster than yesterday so legs seem to be coming back.
  • MF - Sounds like a better long run. No, not Scotland, Birmingham!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, I know I’ve mentioned this before on here, but when I saw Shades at Budapest Marathon a few years ago it got me thinking ‘what are the odds of that?!’  I was walking the same direction as the runners were running and happened to mention to mates that I knew someone who was running. Shortly afterwards I stopped, turned around, stood on wall overlooking the race, and a few seconds later Shades appeared. What are the chances!

Ian, you’ll have a great time. I’d be the same as you in terms of sightseeing, trying to see what I could whilst there. I did just mention to OH that you’re there this weekend, and said I fancied going one year and she said she would like a trip too (she’s never been before). Hopefully one year. Thing is, she’s got non-running related stuff she wants to do elsewhere (who knew there was such a thing....) and I probably need to show some willing with that at some point!

OH’s Mum is over from Netherlands so we’ve been up to Exeter today on the train to have a wander around. There’s a couple of very good noodle places there, so we went there, and other places for coffee, cake etc. I really like Exeter - wish I could afford to live there in the centre, but there’s no chance so have to make do with occasional day trips. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I remember and you jumped down from that very high wall in Budapest. :) 

NYM now on your list too then ;) 

I haven't been to Exeter for a while but I think it's a lovely city, if I had to live in a city it would be my choice.

Great circuits class, we did a fair bit of boxing which left my arms feeling like jelly so upper body session in the gym felt harder today.   I've also agreed to have a go at a HIITs class which is starting soon, they already do a HIITs class but this one will be daytime and only going to be 30 minutes, how hard can that be …. :'(

No running as a rest day today.