Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Marathon news, anyone thinking of doing Dublin.   Now going to ballot entry (they call it lottery), details on the race website.   You have to pay €15 to enter the lottery which is taken off the entry fee if you get a place and refunded if you don't.    Not sure why they're doing that but it may be a way of stopping multiple entries, don't know.   Entry is open for all of November 2019
    GFA entries are only applicable to Athletics Ireland athletes 

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/2020-entry-process/
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Another new PB on this week's list :) 

I've forgotten to ask for November races so I've added what I know, I expect Big G has a couple more planned ;) 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I had an early appointment at the physio today and she seemed really good.  After quite a lot of assessment she said it's something called Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome.  Basically it's an umbrella term for tendon or bursa issues in the hip area.  She said she thought the bursa was fine, and also that the joints were good, so she's given me some strength exercises to do, with a physio band.  Quite pleased that there she doesn't think it's anything too serious, which aligned with my thoughts too.

Afterwards I went out for a 7-miler.  Quite windy and raining so a rain jacket and gloves were needed, but it was nice to get out as didn't manage to run yesterday.

Shades, I’ll let you have the races but I haven’t fully sorted what I’m doing yet...!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good news about the hip, and a relief to know that you've not been damaging it any further by carrying on running and racing.

Still doing some late entries for November?  ;)

Ian - I expect you're busy working and getting ready for your trip to NY.   Have a great time over there and enjoy the marathon.  Will be a pleasant change for you to do a marathon without the pressure of trying to get a GFA time, so relax and enjoy it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes been a very busy couple of days in work with only having a short turnaround,all done now though and just finished packing.
    I'm really looking forward to it,someone asked what time was I after and I said I've not even thought about it,literally no idea so will just run and enjoy the day.
    Didn't think Dublin sold out quick enough to justify a ballot,but I suppose the hype will help,I see snowdonia goes to a ballot for next year also.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - NY is quite a deceptive course, there's quite a few bridges and the last couple of miles in Central Park is undulating.   But interesting course and a great way to see some parts of the city that you might not usually see.

Dublin sold out in a few days last year, they released another 2,500 places later on but was massively oversubscribed.

It's become very popular since moving to the Sunday, used to be on the Monday which is a bank holiday in Ireland.
    It's a good fast course and very popular as easy to travel to for overseas runners.

I've done Dublin about 12 times, it's a great weekend.

Yes, I heard Snowdonia was going to ballot, another good race.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    6 very wet miles this morning, it's been raining here for well over 24 hours.   Bit windy too.  But nice and mild.   Lots of flooding, wet feet after the first mile.

Big G - it will be a miracle if we don't have to run through floods on Sunday, my shoes have only just dried out from last weekend.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I read it wasn't the easiest of the majors,just glad I've got there with no injury.
    Good luck for the weekend with the weather,mine is still looking decent,last day of rain should be today then clear.
  • Good luck Ian!
    Did 7 miles today. Threw some short strides into the last mile so parkrun doesn't come as too much of a shock on Saturday... Run went pretty well. Left glute/ham/lower back a little niggly but nothing I am concerned about. The high hamstring tendinopathy is nothing new but it has been quiet until recently. It seems to have switched places with the achilles, which is being very good.
  • Good luck Ian.
    4 miles and around 30 minutes doing strength workout.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Ian.  Enjoy the weekend.

Cal, great that you managed to get out for a run today.  Sounds like you're starting to come back after your marathon.

Shades, yes, I have a marathon booked for end of November, but I discovered that I hadn't booked accommodation when I booked the race (not like me!  I need a secretary...).  It's at Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham and the accommodation onsite is now fully booked, so if I can't get a room there I'll have to defer my entry.  I could book somewhere else but a) it's more pricey and b) not as convenient as the accommodation onsite includes parking and breakfast, and is very handy for the race.

So presuming I don't do that race, it's just the two.
    - Cornish this weekend
    - Running Miles Kings of the Castle - 7th November.

I have other races elsewhere though as I have a couple of Club Champs events I need to do if I want to finish the competition.  Can't say I'm overly looking forward to one of them - Bicton Blister - as I find that one tough in terms of the terrain.  The other one is Drogo, which is also tough, but I had a decent run out there last year.  I'm Event Director (a very loose term, as it's only a club event) for John Scott Trophy, but I'm hoping to do that too, although I don't need it for the Club Champs.  Although it's only a club event there is still stuff that needs sorting like the handicap ranking, 6 marshals, signage, meal, presents (a gift is entry to the race and only people with presents are allowed to run), time keeping, etc.

Regarding the weather we were up on the edge of the moors last night for a meal, and it was very bad condition driving back along the lanes.  Fog lights on, but very, very poor visibility and lots of standing water.  I saw some footage of the sea coming in over Paignton and Torquay sea walls so I hope everyone was safe last night.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - glad you're going to have good weather as it can be very cold in NY.

Cal - great that you're back running well again.

Big G - you should still be able to get a Travelodge or Premier on the way to Nottingham at a good price if you still want to run that marathon, I think 21 days notice to get their saver rates?
    Not like you to overlook the admin ;)   But if you can defer the entry then that's a good option too.

I did Bicton years ago and there was a huge deep puddle of freezing cold water to run through twice, not sure if the route is the same now.

I've added your Running Miles event to the list.

I did hear Torquay sea front was closed this morning, I assume due to the sea coming over onto the road.

Lovely Pilates class, leg session in the gym which I thought would feel harder today as my legs felt heavy running this morning, but gym session went well.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I have today booked a Travelodge on the way to the event, so you'd better stick my name down for that one.  I can cancel the Travelodge in case accommodation at the event comes available.  Event is on 30th November - Nottingham Christmas Marathon.

I did a 6-mile run at around lunchtime.  Strange conditions as it was raining and I thought quite cool, but I was too hot in a running jacket after about 1-mile which made it a bit of a slog today.  I had planned to do around 10, but turned back early.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - OK I'll add that event to the list.   :)   That's the one around the rowing lake that you enjoyed so much last time, isn't it?

Yes very mild today, would be nice if it was going to be that warm on the top of Bodmin moor on Sunday, unlikely though.  :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that's where I did my first sub-3:30 in December 2017 which at the time was quite a big PB.  Since then, I haven't done as many as I'd have liked (7 in total), but if I can do anther one this year I'll be happy as it'll round off what has been a mediocre running year for me.  Mind you, it was perfect conditions when I did it in 2017 - if it's bad weather it will be very exposed, which will have an impact.  Alongside Chelmsford this year, I still think it's one of my best performances.  Although I've gone a bit quicker since, I was just really confident that I was going to get the time I was hoping for, even in the latter stages of the race.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Shades - Lol at the frying pan.. love it  :D Good luck with that HIITS thing, I did that once and it nearly killed me but I bet if you do it regularly you would really see some results. The Cornish marathon sounds lovely.. just to see Jamaica Inn would be fab.

Cal - My horse gave a bit of a jump at the conker falling on her but nothing out of the ordinary. She is half welsh, half arab which can make for an interesting combination at times but on this occasion she didn't go beserk at all. Running round the wind farm is lovely for the scenery.. but on a windy day as I'm fighting my way round there you do realise that they do their research thoroughly before choosing their pitch. There is a long road which winds down the hill from the turbines and, with the wind behind me, it is the only road on which I can come anywhere near my sprint pace during training  :/
    Glad to see you've recovered quickly from your marathon and all niggles are behaving themselves!

Big G - I remember you writing about seeing Shades at Budapest. That was a real "meant to be" moment.. I can't even imagine what the odds would be on that. That really is excellant news on the hip. Hopefully that will help you to run without worrying too much.

SteveMac - Sorry, not sure why I thought you were from Scotland. Must be confusing you with someone else. Or maybe it's the Mac in your name.

Ian - Have a wonderful weekend in NY and enjoy your sightseeing marathon without worrying about pace at all. The year you have had you don't need to prove anything!

My son is hopping up and down waiting for me to drop him off at the cinema for two back to back horror films so I've got to shoot off now, nothing much to report here, just carrying on with cranking up the mileage with lots of easy kms. HR keeping fairly low too which is good.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Big G - I remember you having a great run at that Nottingham event in good conditions.   I have less favourable memories of that lake as it used to be 20/21 miles in the Robin Hood marathon and usually blowing a gale just at a stage of a marathon when starting to tire. :/ 

mamafox - I'll give the HIITS a go, it might not be for me, but it's with the same instructor so he knows my limitations :o    I don't think he'll ever persuade me to do the boxing circuit class that he's also starting, but lots of folk are already interested in that class.

Only a week to go until your first marathon of the year, it's been a long time, I hope you're really looking forward to it. :) 

6 miles for me today, I did wait until it got light today so I could run away from my usual street lit routes  but my planned route turned out to be flooded, not a surprise really after all the rain.  Amended my route as I didn't fancy running through the floods.   Lots of fields flooded and instead of the Charolais cattle there are geese, ducks, egrets and seagulls in their place. 🦆

I did do my core exercises this morning whilst waiting for daylight. o:)   I have a short Tabata routine which is part of my gym plan and I usually do them at home.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I too did 6-miles this morning and found it quite warm again.  I had stomach issues so the last couple of miles were more run/walk, which was a bit annoying.  Again I'd hoped for a slightly longer run but had to cut it short.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - hope you're OK now.

I'm poised ready for action...…...……..
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    DD 2020 entry done :)   Entries opened at 6pm today 

Incidentally further to my post on Dublin Marathon lottery.   There's been such an uproar in Ireland about the new entry system that they've now decided to give entrants from the last 4 years priority entry and then the remainder of places will go to ballot.   I've had an email with a priority code, but I shan't be going next year as I want to go to Frankfurt.  I do want to go back and do Dublin some time, maybe the year after.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm in DD as well....  Chairman just rang me asking if I'd received an email confirmation, which I hadn't, so he's just looking at that.  He commented that it's more exciting that receiving paper entries as he can see the entries coming in, and hecould also see the website starting to get busy a few minutes before 6pm.  He as up to 91 entrants after about 25-mins.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I haven't had an email confirmation either.   91 entries, that's good, but I see on FB some appear to have accidentally entered twice :D 

Full by Monday perhaps, maybe sooner.

I've just realised that Ian has taken extreme measures to not be available to enter this time ;):D
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, there’s some issue with email confirmation and Chair is onto the company about it. I feel a certain sense of responsibility as I recommended the new company, which committee then voted for - Trotters now use it for memberships, club kit, and DD is the first of our events with the new system.  We changed as the previous one wasn’t working for us in terms of basic management (members and financial), and this new one has more options available. 
  • Shades I've just had a quick Google of Tabata as I'd never heard of that and it looks pretty similar to the HIIT workouts. You are very focused to be doing that at home on your own as well as all the gym work you are doing. Honestly, you are putting me to shame. I am doing bugger all at the moment.. not even stretching!

I'm sort of looking forward to Cognac. Well a bit. I love the marathon, the course and the ambiance but I just don't feel on form at all this year and am worrying so that's overshadowing things somewhat.

DD entry already.. how exciting! You're going to be on fighting form next June and will be laughing in the face of those cut offs.

Big G - Good to see that you've entered DD as well. Hope that those problems can be quickly sorted out with the new company you're using there. 

My dad is sending me some birthday money so I've gone for it and bouht a pair of new shoes. My training is all being done in my old Hokas.. I've found that they're the best shoe in terms of keeping going no matter how much mileage you throw at them, I don't like the look of them and I won't race in them but they're my best training shoe. However, I don't have anything else to race in and last years Nike structures are getting very worn so I've rashly bought a pair of Vaporflys for 80€. I've been eying them up but have found them eye wateringly expensive up until now. They are blue and extremely beautiful and it completely destroyed me today having to take them out into the rain (and mud!). However, I am conscious of the fact that I need to wear them in a bit before next Saturday. I have put my PF special insoles in them as the write ups I've read seem to say they don't offer much arch support and I don't want to pick up another bloody injury. I had a lovely light bouncy run in them today so I'm thinking maybe that will be ok and I can just put them on and run my marathon in them. I should probably wear them for Sundays long run though.. but they've predicted torrential rain  :/
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm sure the email issue is just something that can be rectified easily.  I printed off the receipt instead for my race file.

I found the website nice and easy to use.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - just checked my inbox and I now have a receipt.  :)

Anyone else want to enter  here's the link

https://www.teignbridgetrotters.co.uk/our-races/dartmoor-discovery

Scroll down for online entry link
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Mamafox - before you get too impressed the tabata takes only 2 minutes and I do it twice so 4 minutes altogether.  It is fast and I'm hot and knackered at the end.

I will never be able to laugh in the face of the DD cut offs.  But this will be my best preparation that I can do.   However lots of work to do first.   Although I'm making good progress I'm not building muscle on my legs so much  as  I should so once this weekend's race is done and I've recovered I have to ramp up the work in the legs, so running will become a lot harder too.

Congrats on the new shoes, sounds like you definitely needed them.  Hoka's are great shoes for training, they can certainly take the mileage, my Cliftons have well over 750 miles and the cushioning is still good.  Don't worry about a bit of rain on your shoes, as long as you have time to dry them out before the marathon they'll be fine.

You don't need to run long this weekend, it's too close to race day, do 10 miles max.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Quick check in from NYC.
    All going good here,expo went well this morning except for my bank balance,lucky I got a pay rise this month.
    Lots of sightseeing today,watch says we've walked over 8 miles so glad I'm not racing on sunday,apart from my ultras it's the 1st race I've not actually raced I think,as even when GFA wasnt in the thinking I was always racing for a better time so this will be a new experience.
    Shades-I have been considering DD,all depends how my marathon times go,but I will get a transfer near the time if I do.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - NY expo is amazing, good to hear you did a bit of shopping and are having a great time there.

Enjoy the race tomorrow.

Good to hear that you might do DD next year.  :) 

Rest day for me today.
  • BG - I had that hip pain too some years ago. I just took it easier with some spells of resting and it vanished over time. Can't remember specifics as it was quite a few years ago. I do recall 6 weeks Ibuprofen with it though.