Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I'm was wondering about flooding on the John Scott Trophy route.  There's a "bowl" where I am wondering if water may collect.  Could be a soggy run!

I went and did parkrun this morning, for a total of 6-miles.  Just as I left the house at 8:45am, it started raining heavily so I made the hasty decision of putting a jacket on.  Of course as the event started it was mainly dry so Was way too hot.  Can't say I overly enjoyed it but it was nice to be out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I was out at Kingsteignton, but I don't think I was anywhere near your handicap route, which is Sandygate?  I ran out on Clay Pits Way but as that's a new road, no flooding there.

There was flooding in the road and half the pavement at the roundabout at the bottom of Greenhill Way along towards Lidl.   I was OK on the way out as light traffic, but on the way back the traffic was heavier and as they need to go into 2 lanes approaching the roundabout I was able to run across Home Bargains car park and avoid getting a drenching.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, a lot of the route is on part of the old Dartmoor Vale route.  It starts at Sandygate Inn and runs up for two miles to somewhere called Gappah, before turning around and coming back the same way.  I remember it being flooded up on the top for DMV so this could well be the same, plus the "bowl" I mentioned which wasn't part of the DMV route.  Someone is going out a bit later to put signs up so I'm sure he'll let me know, but hopefully it'll be fine.  It is a bit of fun really although it is a Club Champs race, but I suppose it's the same conditions for everyone.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I often run up to Gappah and that road does flood, it's always an odd one as it's uphill but manages to flood halfway up that road, nice bit of mud too there.

If it is flooded I suggest you put a willing photographer there for some good photos ;)   At least it's not cold though.
  • Drizzly parkrun at Greenwich today (it's actually not in Greenwich, although it's in the Borough of Greenwich - it's really Eltham). Tunde came along and I was also surprised by two clubmates, Ed and Cathryn. Ed's a speedy sod (he came 2nd) but Cathryn kept me company on the way around which was nice. The park is really nice but it's a tarmac/grass course and the grass was muddy, so glad I had trails on for this. Nipped in under 26 (25:50) which I was happy with as it's also not flat - it's not hilly as such but there's an incline and it's a three lapper so it feels a little bit worse each time you go up it.
    We had coffee after so it was quite sociable, which was nice.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    John Scott Trophy went well today in that everyone in enjoyed it, which was in the main thing.  I had a bad run though - about 1:15 slower than last year, finishing in 29:21.  Not sure why it was so bad really, although I haven't been running all that much the last few weeks what with one thing or another.  But it is a good event :) 
  • Cal, more than happy to pick you up and do Jersey Farm parkrun, not done it myself either. Well done on the Vets win at your club, you've had a great year this year, very well deserved.

Shades similar to you, I also went through my wardrobe and put away clothes that didn't fit, unfortunately it was for the wrong reasons/ Always a nice feeling when you can get rid of clothes for the right reason.

Big G Glad the toothache has calmed down, I've got a checkup this week, I'll stay away from the nuts just in case. Being on blood thinners for a few months I dont need to have any teeth out as I'll repaint the dentists ceiling.

Ian great news about Barca, sounds a great marathon, mind you the OH will miss the new route taking in the delights of Manchester :wink:

Seems RW have deleted my profile, I cant log on or reset my password, RW said thy'll look into it but doubt it will happen. Managed to run 5 miles today, leg felt quite strong and felt I could have gone on if required. Volunteered at WW50 last week 8 hours standing in the cold was a challlenge but an enjoyable experience and hope to be fit for 2020's event. Marshalling duties at a local race tomorrow £30 and a free race entry
  • Rob - So pleased that you’re making a recovery.. the PF all gone?

Cal - Well done on your vets prize, you deserve it!

Shades - That is fabulous progress with your weight loss and changes to your body. You’ve been determined to stick to your plan and the results are there. Really well done.
    Thank you for your good wishes for today.

Sorry I can’t comment on everyone. 
    A belated thank you for my birthday wishes, I had a great weekend but since then the last two weeks have been a bit of a nightmare. The cook is all over the place and my shifts have been chaotic. I’ve had enough now and have got a job interview for something else Friday. Anyway, I haven’t really kept up with the thread and haven’t done my Cognac report. I’ve fitted in running when I can but that’s been all over the place too.
    On a positive note I’m here in La Rochelle (thank you Clio), eating bananas on the bed in our tiny apartment which is a stones throw from the departure line. However I have come down with a stinky horrible head cold. Have dosed myself up with the French equivalent of Lemsip and hoping for the best.
    Last time I did this marathon I ended up in A+E with stitches in my knee so any outcome other than that I’ll take as a positive!
    I’ll give a quick update later.
  • Let's hope that doesn't happen, mamafox! Good luck.

Rob - RW reset everyone's passwords this past week so anyone who had signed up with an email account they no longer use had to start a new profile. Annoying for them. I'm wondering if there was a security breach or something.
    Happy to do Jersey Farm any time you want but it might be prudent to wait for a spell of dryer weather (or at least cold weather so the mud freezes solid) Can't have you falling over again! Up got Panshanger too, at some point.
    Say hi to Elle for me.

Big G - it probably is because you've not done as much this year - you likely had a higher level of fitness last year. It can take a bit of time to return.

Rather strange run for me today. I wanted to do 15 miles so got up early, went through my usual routine including mobility/glute warm-up and got outside. Everything felt a bit clunky and niggly and it took me 6 miles to get up to an acceptable pace - bar the second mile, which was normal easy pace, the others were all around or just under 11 minute miles. I figured my stride must have been very short because cadence was fine, and that indeed was the case when I looked at my data afterwards. A year ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it but now my normal easy pace is more like 10:15-10:30 and what I class as easy/steady is 9:55 - 10:15. I only ever run 11s now if I'm recovering from a marathon or running up a monster hill, neither of which was the case here.

Anyway, I ran to Brockwell Park, which was very misty. Encountered a man riding a scooter while exercising his husky, and he nearly came a-cropper as the husky darted in front of him, wrapping its lead around the man's ankle and tipping the scooter over. How he managed to stay upright I don't know.

After getting up the first hill inside the park, I had a weird moment on the downhill where I felt quite relaxed but my legs seemed to speed up on their own which took the rest of me by surprise and left me flailing my arms like the husky man. No idea what that was about, it was a bit strange.

Then, at the bottom of the hill, two little dogs, one of which had three legs, decided to run and bark at me, so I had to stop and shout at them before continuing. I decided only to do the one lap of the park and make up the rest of the distance on the return leg as I didn't want to encounter them a second time.

I did manage to get back to more normal pace after 7 miles but I had niggles everywhere - both knees, right groin twinged a couple of times, glute/ham was aching, even achilles had a small moan (after being quiet for weeks), lower back ached and my colon was giving me worrying sensations, despite having been serviced earlier. I made it through the 15 miles though and plopped myself into an Epsom Salt/mustard bath (I got the mustard bath powder from a quaint apothecary in Yorkshire - supposed to be good for aches).

No idea why my body was so grumpy today but I daresay it'll benefit from a rest tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - oh that's bad luck getting a cold, hope you still have an enjoyable race today and stay away for A & E.

I'm not surprised you're fed up with your job because of that cook, sounds to me that they are relying on you too much for her shortcomings, they should have sorted it out by now.   So good luck with the job interview on Friday.

Robert - stick with the healthy eating and building up your training you will get back to your previous level of fitness and you can put those clothes back in your wardrobe and get rid of the stuff in larger sizes.

I think RW Towers is deserted now so just as well you didn't wait for them to sort out your log in problem.

Big_G said:
    John Scott Trophy went well today in that everyone in enjoyed it, which was in the main thing.  I had a bad run though - about 1:15 slower than last year, finishing in 29:21.  Not sure why it was so bad really, although I haven't been running all that much the last few weeks what with one thing or another.  But it is a good event :) 

Big G - in the last week you've had a cold, an infection and been taking antibiotics.  Any one of those three things is enough to seriously affect your running speed, so you did a very creditable run under the circumstances.   Glad the handicap event went well.

10 miles for me today.   We have lots of flooding around here so took a risk and ran out to Compton, which turned out to be a good choice as although it's in a valley my route was flood free, just a little surface water.  I could see that there was some serious flooding there yesterday and what is normally a gentle stream that runs alongside the road is today a raging torrent.   I had a great run despite a tough workout in the gym yesterday. :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Cal - blimey that was an eventful run you had today and not in a nice way, niggles and hazards. :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    MF, good luck today, and for the interview too.

Cal, sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but parts of that final paragraph (not the injury parts) had me laughing out loud.  I'll say no more.

Shades, our route was more or less okay yesterday, apart from the bit that often flooded on DMV was very wet yesterday, which we have to do twice.  The bit I was worried about was totally clear though.

Cal/Shades, yes, my performance is definitely impacted.  My weight is quite good, but I just didn't have it in me yesterday.  I did try, but it just wasn't there.  I have to say as well I have lost my mojo the last couple of weeks or so.  I'm finding it very easy to not run as often I just don't feel like it, and the runs I have done I've had to force myself out the door.  Even parkrun yesterday was only done because I needed to do it if I want to get to 40 events this year - I could very easily have skipped it.  It's quite unlike me, but I'm sure that mojo will return soon.

Over the summer I was fairly happy with a couple of my performances over some of the shorter distances (I did one decent half times that I was pleased with, and I did a decent 3k), but yesterday was way off.

I've a busy week for me next week, as in London for a few days.  I have only fairly recently found out I need to be there, but the timing isn't great as I arrive back very late Thursday night (I'm on the coach), and then I'm supposed to be driving to Nottingham on the Friday.  As it stands, I'm inclined to cancel that marathon/hotel as I imagine I'm doing to a) be shattered and b) be stiff from the coach and then drive.  But I can make my mind up on the Friday.  I was hoping for a decent time but at the moment I don't feel it's going to happen.  Yesterday's 4-miler was around 7:15min/miles and that was tough, whereas a 3:30 marathon is 8s, so if the marathon had been yesterday there's no way I'd have done a decent time for me.
  • That kind of worries me too, Big G... Today's run was 5 weeks after Yorkshire. I'm doing Manchester 5 weeks after Tokyo which sounds OK on paper  (I've done 6 and 7 week gaps) but if I'd had to run a marathon today, it wouldn't have been pretty.

Speaking of which, just got my flights booked, so that's one less thing to worry about.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, I know what you mean.  Back at the start of September I did a Half marathon in a quicker pace (7:13min/mile) than I managed at the 4-miler yesterday (7:15min/mile)!  But I suppose we can all have up and down days.  Great news about the flights though.  Very exciting!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal/Big G-We all go through phases like that,just have to grind it out and come out the other side.
    Cal-Great news about flights,pretty sure you'll be fine,I did 16 the week after berlin and thought there's no way I could have ran an extra 10,but I did in NYC a week after Frankfurt.
    As for me I had my best long run ever I'd say.20.4 miles with nearly 1000ft of climb and it was faster than any other long run by 16s/m,couple of the bigger hills were after 15 miles but felt good up them.Got 2 races the next 2 Sunday's,a club league race,we're currently top of our division and the vets are top also so looking forward to that,and Telford 10k on the 8th so I'm hoping this translates well to them,scary thinking of the pace I'll have to attempt in that though as I've not run fast for a long time.
  • Ian - Great to have such a good long run... you haven’t lost your form then 😀

Cal - Woooo for those booked flights!

Big G - That mojo will be back before you know it.

La Rochelle under the belt. Ran on HR, 150s up to 10k, 160s between 20k and 30k then 170s and upwards from thereon. Didn’t feel physically great at all but the pace felt fine, that’s one thing I like about HR running, the pace is what it is. Crossed the line in 3h54 and, all things considered, I was quite pleased with that. Feeling well rough now though, this cold has gone on my chest and I’ve been in bed all afternoon. Normally I’m out drinking beer and eating oysters by now. Anyway, no trip to A + E so I’ve broken that duck.
    Is that the right phrase to use..? Looks a bit odd the more I read it.
    Will endeavour to write a bit more when I get home, plus will try and catch up on Cognac too.
  • Ian, great running!

mamafox - Excellent, that's a super result! Well done.

• Gooood afternoon folks.. just been having a very lazy day after yesterday’s shenanigans and i realised I haven’t checked in, in forever so I apologise for that.. since i last popped in end of July after outlaw, so much has happened with both myself and my OH.
    I had said that after outlaw i was going to take a step back and strip training back to basics in order to prepare for london next year, well that hasn’t exactly happened. Since then I’ve done 1 marathon and 3 ultras albeit small ones..

On the 21/09/19 I did the phoenix “run to the thrones”. I found it very hard because i had had a full days work before catching a train to the start for a 4pm race start. Only managed marathon distance in 4:05:57 but i had seen enough of the tow path for the evening plus carol was marshalling after having run a half earlier that day..

2/10/19 i did the SVN “cardiac challenge” around shorne woods. It is local to me and i do enjoy running there plus it had a generous 8hr cutoff i ran with a couple of friends of mine and just had a blast in the mud and lots of hills. Finished with 38 miles in 7:29:34 but the total elevation gain was 5500ft so a very tough course.

On 20/10/10 I did another SVN event “Ranscome Autumn Challenge” and again it was local to me and another trail ultra. I had tight time constraints and i had to be finished by 12:30 to get ready for my OH’s mums birthday.. I couldn’t quite get the 50k out of it and finished with 30miles in 4:32:43 but i really enjoyed that one and will be back for the remaining 3 seasons.

then yesterday i was at the SVN “fudgeathon” at Samphire Hoe. It was an event that our club decided to do so 12 of us went down for a day of running along the sea wall in Dover. My goal was to run my marathon and then keep running round helping various people complete their goals that they had set themselves. We had some very strong performances and many people pushed their limits and smashed the ball out the park with several first ultras and halves. I finished with 32.8 miles in 5:53:44. Was a very good day all round..

as for my OH, i think i had mentioned the last time i was here, that she had started the c25k that my club started. Well she has gone from a total non runner end of July to completing 6 half marathons and yesterdays 20 miler with another 20 planned in 2 weeks and the ultimate goal of a full marathon on NYD. I am so proud of her and know this is just the start..

as for my future races, I’ve got a Saturn running event “run before Christmas” (Tim Burton themed) on the 7th dec and 28th dec the Canary Trail Events “1st 3rd annual headtourch Trail Marathon.” In the surrey hills with an 8pm start time which will be interesting. 1st jan ill be doing the SVN mega challenge but this is one with a difference. It incorporates 2 park runs. We start at 8:30am run one lap, 9am do the cyclopark Parkrun, run another lap, then run up to the shorne parkrun, 10:30 am run the shorne parkrun, run back to the race HQ and then 2 laps of the course for a marathon or more for the ultra. Ill have 7 1/2 hrs to run as much as i can cause carol will be running her first marathon so ill help her complete it.. aside from london next year I’ve also pencilled in my first 100 miler at the end of may and then have unfinished business with outlaw full tri in July. 
    So as you can see a very busy year so far and an even busier one next year...
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Last race of the year today Bicton Blister, tough going as I've had a head cold all week and raced yesterday too. About 20 minutes off 2017 time. Yes I've achieved my 2019 goal of DD but don't want to repeat this year's mojo and weight gain. I'm back to eating healthy and working out what's the best plan for the Grizzly next March and set myself up for a good DD. I know I need to lose about a stone and improve my strength, which I'm joining the gym. I'm going to follow a plan as this will give me focus  I'm going to keep run diary and focus on the positive. I'm not a negative person I'm more of a avoider, you know the type avoid those jeans which are likely to be too tight, avoid giving 100% in race or training so you can say I wasn't racing just plodding.  My best friend is getting married July  and I'm matron of honour so want to feel confident in my dress.  I've been sorting out my tee shirts to have them made into blanket, can't  decide whether to keep my DD shirt or include it, I've checked with Chair and no spare shirts. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you were unwell last week so I don't think you should even consider that your run at the handicap race was a drop in form/fitness.

That's tricky, your return from London and subsequent drive to Nottingham.   Any chance you could take your car to London and drive onto Nottingham on the Friday morning?

Cal - good news on the flights, is that all the logistics sorted? :) 

I think you're worrying far too much about the 5 weeks between Manchester and Tokyo, that is plenty time. 

I think your niggles etc are far more likely to be due to the virus you picked up after York, it can take weeks to recover fully from a virus.  I would suggest that you run no more than one hour a day for the next week, all at easy pace, and don't run at all if you feel tired on any particular day.   Then only resume running any longer distances or anything faster when you feel 100% again and raring to go.  Are you monitoring your RHR before you get out of bed in the morning, that can be a useful indicator?

Ian - that's a great long run.  Hope that elevation wasn't a Strava measurement though! ;) 

mamafox - great result considering you had that awful cold, hope you don't get a chest infection now.   Nothing beats HR running :) 

Iain - you've certainly been busy.   That is great news about your OH, she's made amazing progress and good luck to her for her first marathon.  I won't put any races on the list retrospectively, I'll put the future ones on but you'll have to report your results within a couple of days of the race. :) 

Jelly - well done on your last race of the year, a very good result.
    You've put together a great plan for next year's goals.   

I think those blankets are such a good idea.   Why not ask on the DD FB thread if anyone has a race shirt that they don't wear/want, then you could put that one in the blanket and still be able to wear your own.

8 miles for me, lovely mild morning, a balmy 12 degrees.  Had a great run, calf muscles are a bit tight, I upped the weights on my calf raises in the gym on Saturday and could certainly feel it today.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It was off my watch,when I put it in plotaroute it comes out as 1100 so wont be far off.It was my most enjoyable long run,as the last 2 miles is a steady incline,but I only slowed as much as I'd normally slow going up it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's great, you're starting to love those hills.

Reason I asked was I'm now using my Garmin for elevation and it's sometimes a huge difference to the elevation I'd calculated before using mapometer.  Mapometer seems to have the same formula as Strava and I was measuring a route then knocking off 15% to get a more realistic figure, I thought.   But for instance, one of my routes which after I deducted the 15% I had at 700 feet I've run several times with the Garmin and it measures the route at 550 so that's a difference of nearly 300 feet over 9 miles.

Talking about hills, I know you mentioned you might pick up a last minute place at DD but there are already 26 folk waiting for a place on the transfer list.   One of the local clubs have made an effort to have the most from one club and they have already 43 entered, of course a few might fall by the wayside but it's a very big club and they may have more awaiting a place.
    So might be worth just keeping an eye on the list, I don't expect much will happen until after Xmas.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just ordered 2 pairs of running shoes.  Have decided not to buy the Guide ISO 2 for now, I think the price will drop as they've been half price for several weeks and even Saucony are selling them at the same price.  They don't get such good reviews as the ISO 1 and I didn't like those anyway but I might get a pair later on for training only.

So have managed to find a pair of Guide 9's and also ordered a pair of Ride ISO which is the neutral version of the Guides, gets great reviews and I do a lot of my training in neutral shoes anyway.

I still have a big wish list of shoes I would like but will order another couple of pairs in a few days.....I'm into 2020 budget now :)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It is looking more likely that I will try DD again as I'm changing my plans and not doing a race after Boston now and instead doing 1 before Barca,will finalise it later when I look at who's got time booked off in work to see which weekend I can get off.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    That's a good idea shades will do that later. Thank you 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I did look at trying to get from London to Nottingham but it wasn't really practical/feasible partly because OH is coming with me to London too.  I'll just have to see how I am on Friday and then decide that morning.

Ian, great long run there, and good to read DD is at least a possibility.

Jelly, there are some good plans and goals there.  I've never done the Grizzly.

Iain, sounds like you've been busy the last few weeks.  Is London going to be the main target for the first part of the year then?

MF, well done on the race.  Hopefully you start feeling a bit better soon.
  • Shades - I’ll definitely try report on my races sooner. Time seems to fly past so quickly. 

Big_G - yes london is my A race at the moment and I’m going to try get a championship place but I won’t be to cut up if I don’t cause I’ve lost a lot of speed so I’ve got some work to do.
  • Shades - yeah, heart rate doesn't really vary much.
    Iain - brilliant, that's a lot of races!

Gym today, mostly posterior chain stuff and a bit of shoulders, then went to see Toby, my physio, who stuck his elbow in bits of me, mostly my QL and SI joints. Felt a bit better after that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    6 miles recovery run earlier,legs a little tender but nothing too bad.
    Put myself on the waiting list for DD before it gets too big,Chairman said he guarantees I will get a place.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Being London that does make taking the car tricky.   Hopefully you won't have to cancel your weekend marathon, although Nottingham is a fair drive and not much fun on a Friday either.

Ian - that's great news, I'm sure you'll get a place.  DD is not a race to run with a niggle so should be plenty of places up for transfer.   I think one year there were 40 odd transfers.

Please can I have December races to add to the list tomorrow, I have Iain's and Big G I have you down for Plym Trail.   Not sure if you booked a last minute trip to Pisa ;)

6 miles this morning in very wet and very windy weather, mild though but battling against the wind was tough.   Got absolutely soaked right through and another pair of shoes that are very soggy.