Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big G is there any way you can go straight from London to Nottingham?

Shades I disobeyed you this morning.  >:)
    Went out at 6 and did my first mile at normal first mile pace so decided to go ahead with a progression run. I did 7 miles of that and judged it a bit better than last time (working up to MP, rather than hitting a little faster than MP on the penultimate mile and then going a bit slower on the one after, which I did last week) then spent 2 miles cooling down. I rather enjoyed the run and only felt my left glute when I started my cool-down. I am wondering if I had so many niggles on Sunday because I was so slow.
    Cadence is still daft, though - 190 and 192 for the last two fast miles and they felt much harder work than all the miles I did at that pace in Yorkshire where my cadence was pretty much bang on 180 for the whole race. I know my stride is a bit shorter first thing in the morning but I'm also wondering how much easier it felt because I was in my Vaporflys. Hrmm.
    Speaking of which, Nike has the 4% heavily discounted at the moment, if anyone is tempted. I'm actually tempted myself, but I've only 56 miles on the existing pair. Not sure if I should save my money and hold out for some Next% once I'm done with these. Hmm.
    Oh and I've entered a 10K on December 15th. It's the only distance I haven't PBd this year...not sure I'll have it in me but we'll see!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    No december races for me,but I have just booked Seville :smile: It's Feb 23rd so 3 weeks before Barca,that's usually good timing for me so hoping they both go well.
    Main reason I've booked it is,that I usually chop a couple of minutes at each race like this,and my aim next year is to see if I can go sub 3(that's the first time I've put it down in writing) and think 3:07 to 2:59 is a big jump so aim at seville will be 3:03/4 then hopefully faster at barca,also if I go for sub 3 at barca then tank I could end up not improving and I think I still need a couple of mins for london 2021 so hoping to get that in Seville,then can really go for it in barca.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Cal - as long as you're feeling better then that's what is important.  But if next weekend you don't feel up to a long run then don't do it.  Take advantage of not having to do a long run.

Ian - I've heard that Seville is a good race.
    You're like me, that I do better a relatively short time after a previous race so one race feeds off the other and I have practise at race pace that I just can't replicate in training.

All of my best DD races are when I've raced a marathon 6 or 7 days before.

Just back from the dentist.  I'm an NHS patient but I opted to pay extra for the Wand, which is a different way of inputting the anesthetic rather than the usual injection/s.  Can certainly recommend it, pain free all the way through and as it uses less anesthetic it wears off really quickly.  I was having crown prep done and all done in 15 minutes.  And I can comfortably drink coffee now again instead of waiting for the numbness to wear off.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Never heard of the wand,will keep an eye out for that next time,hopefully be a while though.
    Went out a bit later today as OH was doing her longest run yet(17.5) and wanted to check she got back ok before I left,all went well so went out for 10 miles then came back and finished booking Seville so all set now.
  • Options
    That's interesting, Shades. I've always had injections. Fortunately my current dentist is really good at them and she rarely hurts me.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I did look at options but it wasn’t really easily workable.  Came up this morning on the coach and didn’t bring running stuff anyway.

Ian, great that you’re thinking/hoping sub-3.  Are you doing anything differently, or keep doing what you’re doing? Sounds like your plans for next year are taking shape. A couple of people from my club did Saville 3yrs ago and enjoyed it. I looked into it as well, but haven’t made it there yet.

Shades, I’ll let you know my races. No, didn’t manage to get to Pisa, although I did briefly look!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Currently planning on doing the same as now as I'm still improving with it,I have wondered a few times about popping a speed session in but never got round to it yet.Main target will be to increase my average mileage to about 50,it was 43 for the last cycle so that should make a difference.
  • Options
    Currently waiting on the Berlin ballot results with baited breath...

Today was supposed to be a MLR but after a couple of miles I became aware that there were passengers in the departure lounge who had missed the earlier sewer cruise, and spent the rest of run clenching like a catholic altar boy. I did manage 6 miles before the situation became critical, but I'll have to do the MLR tomorrow instead. Shame, as it was actually nice enough for a T-shirt and the sun came out after a mile or so.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - your OH is certainly well up on her long run mileage already. :)

I think you could do sub 3 without any speed sessions apart from your races.   An increase in weekly mileage should be enough for you and as you have to sort of manage your achilles, speedwork might just be too much for it.

Circuits this morning was good, not so gentle though, then did a session in the gym.   I had a chat to my instructor and we're going to change my gym programme in 2 weeks, after I've done my last marathon of the year.    He's told me from then to cut my gym visits to 4 per week (from 5 visits, 6 sessions), each session will be an hour and very much harder than what I'm already doing so I'll need more recovery time.

Not even a twinge this morning post dentist, usually I have a little muscle stiffness from the normal injection.

Food shop done, yet another turkey crown purchased.   I think I might have duck for Xmas day as I'm eating a lot of turkey on a regular basis now.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - xpost.  Fingers crossed for you for Berlin ballot place.

Oh dear re your run, how annoying.   Not changed your diet recently?

My new shoes are on their way, just as well I ordered the Guide 9's when I did, now sold out in my size.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-She's doing brilliant,way ahead of when I did my first,but we had that conversation last night "I dont know how I'm going to manage another 9 miles" 
    She was relieved though when I told her her longest will he 20,she thought it would be 24.
    Black friday week this week but Aldi have our own version called orange Thursday,where everyone fights over stupid kevin and katie carrot plush toys so expecting a mad rush tomorrow. 
  • Options
    No, Shades, but I've had issues from time to time before.
    Nothing from the ballot yet - seen several Facebook posts from people who've had their success emails, so not looking too hopeful.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, Orange Thursday sounds like it could be frantic!

Cal, fingers crossed for the ballot. 

No running here, but I found out that this week there is free entry into lots of attractions supported by the Lottery. Kew Gardens, transport museum etc. So we each got a £2 lottery ticket and got in these places, saving a lot of money (Kew is £13.50 each for example). Never been to either so was good to have a look around. Kew Gardens is very nice and there are what I imagine are very expensive houses nearby....but it’s right under the flight path.

Regarding tests, my sample was clear but have been asked to do another in 4 weeks, to ensure antibiotics weren’t a factor. More worryingly though, my cheek has become swollen again...I’m not in much pain, but something isn’t right :( I’ve booked an appointment for next week, and also trying to get an emergency appointment for Friday. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it sounds like she's really taken to the marathon training.  

Good luck tomorrow with Orange Thursday, hope there's no fighting in the aisles  ;)
    Thankfully I went to Aldi today, so will avoid any similar frenzy here.

Cal - do all the ballot acceptances get emailed at the same time?  

Big G - that's a good deal with the lottery tickets, you might win a few quid too.

Good news on the doc's test results, not so good about the tooth playing up again.

I went to the BP clinic on Friday and have been dismissed and don't need to go again.   Despite my 'white coat syndrome' I recorded my lowest ever BP reading taken at the surgery.  Looks like a benefit from a high protein diet after all.   :)
  • Options
    No idea, Shades. Great news on the BP.
    And hope your mouth is OK, Big G.
  • Options
    Cal hope you hear from the ballot soon! I've seen on twitter people have already got in yesterday but no idea of the whole process.

Shades, I enjoy turkey but only ever buy it at xmas. No races for me in Dec :-(

Big G Hope you get sorted soon,

Ian, like the thinking of narrowing the gap from pb to sub 3, makes sense to see if you can push a bit each time.

MF well done on your run, the PF is niggling but hopefully manageable will see as I step it up over the next few months.

Another 3 miles this morning, not that enjoyable but main thing getting out there, dentist check up today went okay. Am considering another run over the weekend, we are also considering getting another rescue dog but myself and elle have a few things to consider first.
  • Options
    bizarrely I have been receiving emails from RW, have tried to reset my password and its worked  
  • Options
    Email finally arrived. It's a no. Eh... Well now I have to think about which Autumn race I want to do. Chicago is tempting but I'm already spending a lot to go to Japan so I don't think it's a sensible move, so could do either Yorkshire or Chester again, or, hmm, Loch Ness? Is that a PB course? (I don't want to do Abingdon, before anyone suggests that one).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rob - good to have you both on here ;)   glad RW seem to have sorted that out.

Can only buy turkey at Xmas time so I'm making the most of it as I love it and nutritionally perfect for me.   won't be able to buy any after the first week in January.

You will soon be back on the race list again :)   Not so good to hear that bloody PF is still troubling you, any further thoughts on trying the injection.

Cal - bad luck re the ballot.   Yes, Loch Ness is a PB course, however it's not flat, fabulous race.   Why not consider Frankfurt, that is flat, fast and will cost you a lot less than Berlin would have.  There's probably an early bird rate now but this year they were taking entries up to the week before the race so no rush to decide.   I'm going next year, haven't booked anything yet though.

6 miles today, no rain or wind so pleasant conditions for running.    Legs are a bit sore from gym/circuits but I had a really good run, no puddles.   I don't wear my Cliftons very often, they're on circa 700 miles now and I tend to overlook them.   The first mile in them always takes a bit of getting used to them again, they are a lower drop than my other shoes, thereafter they feel great and by the time I finish my run I'm in love with them again. :)
  • Options
    Yes, there are a lot of options if I consider Europe as well. I've been meaning to do Valencia since I didn't get to do it last year when I came down with a cold, but I'd want to do an October race anyway.
    If I did Frankfurt I could likely persuade Colin to come with me and do a theme park or two (it's not a massive journey to Phantasialand, which is one of Germany's top two parks). However, Col and I also have a mutual friend in Holland (he's not far from Eindhoven, so that one or Amsterdam could also work).

Did 11 miles this morning - easy pace although my pace was all over the place - some miles at the fast end of easy and some at the slow end. I suspect I shorten my stride on the less well lit pavements as it's not always easy to see where I'm putting my feet. I did manage to do an impressive slide on a pile of wet leaves at the top end of Tooting Common and ended up on the grass - fortunately I stayed upright. Wasn't even dark by that point, either!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-The early bird for frankfurt ends Dec 31st so no mad rush,need to decide myself also.
    No running last night as I decided a rest day would be good,but was in work early this morning so will be able to get a good run in later.
  • Options
    I've got a few days to decide on Chicago as well. It is tempting... just not sure if sensible. :D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, of course you have unfinished business with Valencia, having to cancel your trip last time.   Still plenty of time to decide.   I did look at Chicago once but the overall cost put me off and most people I know that have run it say it's nothing special and they don't want to do it again.  I see Florence is getting rave reviews again, I so want to go back there too.

Challenging but good Pilates class, followed by session in the gym.

My shoes are out for delivery today, got home and seeing a red card on the doormat thought Royal Mail had carded the delivery but it turned out to be the election leaflet from the Labour Party :#
  • Options
    My discount Vaporflys arrived, too. (Just the 4% again - but they were good enough for that sub-4, eh?)
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Went for my first run in my new shoes tonight,felt nice putting them on but a little firmer on the bottom than I'm used to,might ease as I run them in.9 miles,felt a bit harder than usual but got it done.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - it's worth stocking up on your favourite shoes, especially at good prices. :)

Loch Ness early bird entries close 30th November.  I think the ballot for Dublin closes then too, just in case that's on your possible list too.

Ian - is that the first pair of Guide ISO 2's you've tried?   I haven't tried them yet but will probably get a pair fairly soon.   Sometimes the cushioning in a shoe can take a little while to settle.   If there's no real improvement after a while you could always consider replacing the insoles with a gel cushion insole, lots of runners do that, but it can alter the fit.

Hope you survived the Kevin the Carrot day unscathed, I heard about it on the radio, customers queuing from 5 a.m. 

First run for me too in new shoes Ride ISO, they are a lovely fit but I didn't find them as bouncy in the cushioning as I expected but they are a really comfy shoe, I could race in them I think, they feel light and fast.   Think I might buy some Hokas next for training.    I went out later today as I don't have a class so I could do most of the run in daylight but the traffic was so busy and annoying to me that I came back on a footpath/trail and new shoes got a bit wet and a little muddy.   10 miles done.   Had a good run but legs are a little tired so grateful for a rest day today from the gym.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes it was a good deal with the lottery ticket.  The transport museum is usually £18 so it was a good saving.  They had other things like free tea/cake at other attractions, as well as free entry into loads of other places.   I don't know if they do this promotion every year, or if it's just to mark the 25yr anniversary of the lottery, but these places all get funding from the lottery.  Either way, we were lucky that we happened to be in London when the promotion was running, as it's only running for about a week.  I do have a couple of other marathons pencilled in for December, but they're still in the balance at the moment as it'll depend on the tooth etc, so I'll leave them off the list for now.

I got back from London late yesterday, and this morning I got a call from the dentist with an available appointment for this afternoon so I definitely won't be going to Nottingham.  It's a shame, but even without the dentist I was probably going to cancel it.  I'm still not in much pain generally, but there is some swelling so I want to get it checked as I imagine these things will only get worse and not better.

Yesterday, the coach was on time, but it was still 6hrs, so a long journey, getting in at 10:30pm.  It left on time, but was about 45mins late getting out of London to Heathrow (Heathrow was the 2nd stop), but it made up the time later on the route.

Trotters are flying out to Valencia today, so fingers crossed YT does well out there.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I've never heard of lottery funded attractions having a deal like that so maybe it is an anniversary thing, certainly worth having, and you might win the lottery yet!.

I think you've made the right decision re Nottingham.   There's always be the risk that your tooth could get a lot worse/sore, bad enough over a weekend anyway but to be 4 hours away from your dentist/treatment plus running if you had an infection isn't wise.

I saw that YT did a 31:46 10k in a training run a few days ago, he's really pleased with his training since Cardiff Half when he was disappointed with his performance.   I am so hoping he gets the time he wants on Sunday.
  • Options
    Steph Davis is doing Valencia as well (along with a lot of other Chasers). I think she's doing it more for fun than a time, though - at least that's what she says.
    Sunny today so of course it's a rest day - sod's law. Went to the gym, though.

I see Mo has announced he's going to do the 10K in Tokyo. Not sure about that...but I guess he realises he's not going to be winning the marathon.