Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Been to dentist and after a thorough investigation and another x-ray, he can't find anything of concern so he sent me packing with no charge.  Maybe I'm just being aware of it (and possibly being a bit of a hypochondriac!), and noticing things that are usually there anyway, but good to know there's no fluid or anything else to cause a concern in the immediate future.  I'll try and put it to the back of my mind.  It has been stopping me running to some extent as I was wondering if the running action/jolting would cause more issues, but he said to carry on.  Therefore, I expect I'll go to a parkrun tomorrow.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I heard that about Mo Farah on the radio too.   I thought it was a bit odd that the announcement came from him not UKA.  Not sure if he has to qualify, not that he couldn't do with ease I'm sure.  Shame he doesn't want to run the marathon in Tokyo.
    Of course he's a fast marathon runner with UK and European records broken but I don't think he can handle that his best marathon time  I believe  only puts him 90th on the all-time list.  IMHO he can't handle the marathon mentally.  

Big G - well that's good news from the dentist.  Perhaps the area just needs time to settle down.  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Glad there's nothing wrong.
    Could be some good racing in valencia as I know Jonny Mellor is doing it also.
    Read about Mo,think it's because he knows he won't medal and his ego let that happen.
    10.5 after work today,hopefully end up with another 50 mile week then will take it easy next week before my 10k.
  • Just thought I'd pop in, 20% https://www.precisionhydration.com/ using code BF2019!  Unfortunately I don't need to use this as still got pretty much all mine from last year
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Ian - I hope Jonny Mellor gets the time he's looking for, a qualifying time for Tokyo I guess.

You've nudged your mileage up nicely. :) 

I do hope Mo is not going back to the track to make a point re the Salazar issue.   If Mo doesn't win, he is 4 years older and we all know a lot can go wrong in a race, he could be setting himself up for the wrong sort of publicity.

10 miles for me this morning, very strong gusty wind in places, went out early to avoid the rain that's due.   Legs are feeling a bit tired, didn't go to the gym yesterday so I think my muscles are a bit glycogen depleted but all part of the training.   Have dropped another pound in weight too.   Gym later.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rob - thanks for the code, I'm not in need of anything right now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info there Rob, but I'm not in need of anything either.

6-miles for me this morning, including parkrun.  I seem to have said this quite a few times this year, but I haven't ran since last Saturday.  I did enjoy getting out and hopefully I'll start getting some fitness back soon.  Bearing in mind I did okay at Chelmsford I know it's not too far away, but I just need to try and get some consistency going.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Dropping down to about 40 next week then hoping for a good run of weeks through until the end of jan,if I can average near 50 that will be a good increase for me.
    Big G-Consistency is the key,hope you get a good few weeks in.
    6 miles for before work,pavement was very icy in places so had to watch my footing,tomorrows club race could be slow as its on footpaths in a park so cant see them being treated.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - time to declare those December races then ;) 

Ian - That's decent weekly mileage especially at this time of year which is very busy for you.  Last thing you need is icy weather, we're due a few nights of frost too.
  • Cold and foggy here this morning - had to break out the base layer for parkrun. Today's parkrun was Wimbledon, which I've been avoiding for a while because it's muddy (they also take all day to do the results so I probably won't get an official time until tomorrow.)
    Opted to tube it to South Wimbledon rather than take the train (a few stops but with a change at Clapham Junction) as it's warmer, even though it's a little further away, so ran three miles from there to the common, did the parkrun and ran three miles back again.
    Tunde came along - it's his 64th birthday today so we went to the cafe after. It's a very nice cafe with a lot of cakes including gluten free options, but I abstained as I knew that would not sit well in my stomach for the run back to the station. They were serving hot spiced apple juice, though, so I opted for that over coffee and it was very nice.
    The parkrun itself is very busy, and very muddy, so my first mile was quite slow as there were too many people around me for me to find the best route through the muddy bits. I picked up a bit after that - my old trail shoes actually did OK but I still had to be careful as there are a lot of rocks and roots as well as a few puddles that could have done with a lifeguard.
    Garmin said I ran it in 26:50 so not a fast time for a flat course, but it never was going to be on that surface and with that many people.
    Two runs left to complete Lon-done. Next week I have my club's 5K track meet instead (with mulled wine!) and then I'll be heading up to Roding Valley to meet a friend, which doesn't count for Lon-Done as it's on the outskirts but it is on the tube.
    Walthamstow will be my next proper London run at the end of December (another muddy one, as it's three laps of a football field - not the most exciting), and I aim to finish off with Canons Park on NYD, since I can pair it with Gladstone which is a few stops down the tube line.
    I'll have to find something else for the 21st.
    Anyway, exercise done for the day - I can relax!
  • I tell a lie - they actually got the results done a bit quicker today - 26:48. Age cat 3rd.
  • Big G I hadn't heard of lottery discounts either, you can usually find 2 for 1 deals which are ideal when visiting with an equal number of people.  Do want to visit the transport museum myself.  Tough decision to make  on Nottingham but probably for the best, hope your teeth issue is just your mind playing tricks.

Cal, they'll probably create new parkruns in London before the new year then you'll become lo undone.  

Looks like a bit of buying in black friday sale.  Always nice to pick up a bargain, I decided to stay away from black friday deals, I may have a look in January sales defo need some new running shorts.

Wonder if IOC wouldn't let mo have 'sir mo' on his bib and he threw his toys out of his pram? I think it's to do with medal chance he seemed to flake a few times mentally on the marathon and there is still 1 or 2 more 4 year cycles for him to have a crack at the longer distance.

Westmill parkrun stunning when icy, new return from fall pb a minute quicker than last effort 29.37 nice to be under sub 30 and closer to my 21.42 pb plus bonus the leg felt good and stronger, my fitness was shot to pieces but that works in my favour at the moment as it won't tempt me to do too much!

Image may contain sky outdoor and natureImage may contain mountain sky cloud outdoor and nature 

• Rob, won't be before Christmas. I know of one in the works but it'll be a while, I think.
    Well done on the sub-30 - good to hear your leg is improving. Lovely view - I will have to try the winter course at some point but I think Jersey Farm and Panshanger need to be done first!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - shame you had to miss out on the cakes.

Big G - I hear conditions at Nottingham weren't good, not windy but freezing fog, not pleasant for running.

Rob - I stayed away from Black Friday shopping too, although I am going to book airport parking today as it's a 15% discount instead of the usual 10%.   My shoes that I bought had been at the sale price for several weeks and I did get the final pair of Guide 9's in my size, despatch note said 'now out of stock' so just as well I didn't hang on any longer.   I think I've exhausted the chance of any more Guide 9's and 10's.   Amazon have 10's for sale at £153, but not going to be conned by Amazon to pay more than the original list price, plenty more shoes out there to try and buy.  :) 

I am keeping an eye open for any bargain Brooks Adrenaline if you see any, but they are so popular hard to get cheap.

I've decided to take a rest day today from running, I've been upping the weights as much as I can this last week in the gym and I'm tired.   My last 16 weeks of running has an average of 46 miles a week which has been good and consistent training especially with the gym work and diet that I've been doing for 13 weeks now.   I need to back off this week anyway as I have a marathon on Saturday, last race of the year for me.

So I've downloaded the app for Valencia ready to track YT, race starts at 7:30 our time.  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-You dont normally race this late in the year do you?
    Landed well today,my race starts st 11 so hopefully the paths will have defrosted a bit and Tranmere are playing at 3 so time to get home,shower,eat then to the match.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Shades, urrrgh.  I’m still not sure about the races. I’m feeling terrible this morning and HR is elevated around 20%. If it’s not one thing, it’s another it seems. It’s my birthday today and I had plans but they’ve been shelved. 

I downloaded the app too, and watching the coverage as well. Haven’t seen any Trotters on the coverage yet. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Also downloaded the app as I'm tracking a few,looks like YT may have dropped?
    Cal-Steph is definitely running for a time,she'd had a letter to say she is on the list for possible selection to the Olympics depending on her times,looks like she's going for it today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, yeah, not good about YT.   I suppose it’s possible that it’s just a chip/timing issue as the tracker is still predicting a finish time. His splits haven’t updated though so it’s doesn’t look good. I hope he’s ok. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - no, I don't usually race this late in the year.   I did enter the Plym Trail December one last year but wussed out, think I had a sore throat or it might have been too cold for me.
    But I survived Connemara earlier this year in wintery conditions so decided I should, I also need the race to count so that I reach my 400th next August.   I've also entered the Plym Trail January race but if weather is icy I won't run.   This week should be ice free on race day.

Hope your race goes well today and the paths have thawed out.

I'm tracking YT and his splits have stopped but it's still showing that he's now on 28.7 km so wonder if it's the app not updating the split times.

Big G - that's not good, maybe another cold coming on.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Big G.  :)  Hope you're feeling better later on, at least well enough to eat cake 🎂
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Where are you currently planning for your 400th to be at?
    It looks like the temps are warming up around wed/thu so hopefully be clear by Sunday.
    The others I am tracking have got splits for all mats so either YT's chip is playing up or he has dropped out,hopefully the first one.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Isle of Man in August.
    Plym Trail is on Saturday, currently forecast at 10 degrees.

App now shows YT at 32 km just not getting the splits, so seems an odd malfunction.   I'm not tracking anyone else.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I think the app is showing his projected position from when it stopped tracking him as his position hasn't changed at all,looks like he slowed between 5 and 10k so maybe felt something.
    Has anyone seen anything about London GFA for 2021,the latest I can see is next years rules? Just wondering if I've missed anything.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Looks like mellor has pulled out also,but steph is having a great run,looks like about 2:28/9 at the minute which is under the olympic qualifying time,and 4th uk runner this year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Still has him moving on the map at 40 km now.

Don't think GFA times for 2021 will be announced for a few months yet.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - yes, now looks like YT did pull up as he should have finished by now.  What a shame for him and Mellor.  
  • Ian - blimey, she did it - sub 2:28 (which is faster than all but a couple of guys in the club). I guess she was just being sarcastic on Facebook then. :D
    Amazing effort.

And back on Planet Earth, an easy 16 today. I decided I couldn't be arsed to go to Brockwell Park (I have to cross two very big roads on he way there and back) so I just did an extended version of my mid-week MLR on local roads. A few fairy lights starting to appear in bushes and hedges - I do like seeing those on my dark runs, I admit - and one woman was running in a Santa hat. Perhaps she was volunteering at junior parkrun after her run, or maybe she didn't have another hat - who knows?
    Saw one fox - not seen one on a run for a while - and one abandonned frying pan in the middle of the pavements. Didn't smell any weed, which is unusual for a Sunday morning run - I normally smell it at least twice.
    I did consider throwing in some MP miles, but after a mostly uphill mile at mile 11 I realised my legs had some fatigue in them from yesterday and ended up settling for four sub-10 miles at the end of the run. With the extra mileage yesterday to get me to and from Wimbledon parkrun, I've ended up hitting 51 miles for the week, so more sensible to keep things relatively easy today. My left glute isn't aching too much (the high hamstring tendinopathy can make it uncomfortable to sit on my arse after a long run, and I feel pretty much OK).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Did you jump into mama's route and find her missing pan?
    Incredible time from Steph,puts her right in the tokyo mix now.
    Unfortunately the park roads hadn't had time to defrost fully today so there was some very treacherous parts of the race and seen a few go over.With the conditions and an undulating course I was happy with my time.Came out about 39 min 10k pace,not quite the 37:xx I'm hoping for next week but I was definitely playing it safe on the bends and the downhill part was also icy.
  • Shades found some Adrenalines for about £70 but not really in the market for any yet.  

Happy Birthday Big G! Hope you recover quickly

Ian hope your race goes well and Tramere do better than chelsea did yesterday!

Cal, well done on the mileage this week, think it's more acceptable to have xmas decs out now, still think it's a bit early but maybe they have plans for the next couple of weeks?

Had a crack at WJ Mob XC race today, was good fun, alot of mud managed to get 5 miles done in about 55 mins, there were times that it was just too muddy to really bother running but a good workout.  Plus had my 1st mince pie of the year after, do think mince pies shouldn't just be for xmas!!! 

• ian xpost well done, defo cautious is better than racing and taking a tumble! Tumbles aren't much fun!