Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I haven’t done Yeovil. I’ll do that when it’s back to its summer course. I’ll let you know if you like?  Also, I’ve not done Bushy and I’m thinking of going just for that - Travelodge is £28. 

Regarding my running, I called the GP and explained I really want to get back to running properly but I’m still not 100% sure what I can or can’t do. I explained that I feel generally pretty good, but they’ve booked me in to have my heart traced late this afternoon, which seems an amazing service (NHS)!  They said there was no need for another chest x-Ray as the one I had at a&e was fine. Fingers crossed I’ll get the news I want this afternoon. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad you're feeling better today.

Perhaps wear an old pair of road shoes tomorrow, you don't really want to aggravate anything at this stage of your marathon training?

Big G - that's great service from your GP and hopefully can reassure you that you're ready to get back to full training again.

• Ian - While ambitious I think you have the pace to hit both of those targets for HM and Marathon. Have you races lined up to target them?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-I am doing 2x HM's over the next 4 weeks but not resting for them so I'll be interested to see how close I can get,the first isn't really a PB course but the 2nd could be depending on the weather,if not I've got Chester to aim at in May.As for the sub 3 it's hard to say as it's a big jump,I'd like to get 3:03ish in Seville then see how it feels and go from there.
  • Happy New year shadies!  Hope you're all well / better and looking forwad to your 2020 goals.  A year to see clearly!

Shades, I only wish I had put 1lb over the festive period, well done for staying strict.

Ian, well done on getting out for 20 miles on Boxing day.

Big G hope you're feeling better

Iain, I had a few pals do the Canary run, I had penciled it in myself but be a bit far for me at the moment.

Cal you'll have to try Westmill again with the spikes!

We rescued a couple of kittens from a shelter before Xmas, I have hardly slept and during the day we've had to make quite a few adjustments to stop the feckers getting to places they shouldn't. New plinth in the kitchen, 3 internal doors hung (Marley had destroyed them during fireworks), new bath panel, rejigged the bedroom around.  Just need to clear the airing cupboard and clear the loft then we can rest for a bit.  Before recarpeting the house.

All good intentions of making parkruns on xmas and dbl on NYD but was shattered and sleep deprived from the kittens.

Been out for 2 short 5km runs this week, going to try and do 3-4 runs a week and gradually build the distance, my knee still feels week but is slowly improving.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - did you see my question earlier today about your Guide shoes?

Happy New Year Robert, I do hope a much better year for you running wise.  Good to hear you're making progress with the knee.

Wasn't a question of me being strict re food over Xmas but this way of eating suits me and I feel so much better in every way if I stick to it.   I'm allowed to eat more if I'm hungry too so I'm not depriving myself in any way.  I'm pleased too with how my running is going so don't want to spoil that either by putting any weight back on.

Those kittens are certainly keeping you busy, hope you're managing to get some sleep now, they sound exhausting.  
    Bet they're adorable though.

• Robert OHaraRobert OHara ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Smudge (black and white) Tiger Lilly (tabby) 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I missed that somehow.Yes I've got used to them now.they are comfortable,looking at them it has a different name for the foam so they may have changed it and that's what I wasn't used to.Will happily get another pair if they are a bargain again.
    Rob-Good to hear from you,looks like the cats have the run of the house already.
    9 miles after work today,kept to my rest day yesterday even though I felt ok and got the benefit today.
    After some advice now,I feel like I can run no problem tomorrow,but if I do and do my planned 20 on Sunday I will end up doing 70 this week,which will be my biggest ever and a big jump from 56.I feel fine and no issues anywhere but unsure whether it is too big a jump,but on the other hand I don't want to hold back if I am ok,all miles have been easy pace.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Robert - they look the picture of innocence but I suspect they chase each other round the house like mad things.   Great names.

Ian - That's really good re your shoes, I know the women's are still at a good price, not sure about the men's.   I've seen the first reviews on the Guide 13's and all good, they've changed the shoe a lot apparently.   Will be a long time until the price drops enough to my budget.  

Re your mileage, just forget the numbers and run the distance you feel is right on the day.   You've obviously had some time off work this week so that may be why you don't feel as tired as you might have with the extra miles.   Maybe do a route on Sunday that can be shortened if necessary.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, for what it’s worth, I think the jump to 70 would be ok. My personal opinion is that the 10% guideline is for newer runners. If you’re feeling ok, with no niggles etc, I personally think it’s ok, but maybe shorten the route if you need to. If you’re tired and need to ease back next week, no problem.

Good to hear from you Robert. Fingers crossed you have a good year this year!

I had my GP appointment, with a nurse appointment beforehand where she took an ECG. Long story short is that everything is normal. Heart normal, x-ray normal, no sign of any infection, BP normal, temperature normal, HR normal, oxygen levels normal. I did say that on occasion I get a slight uncomfortable feeling in the chest and as everything else was normal he thinks that’s either muscle pain from the bad cough I had or mild pleurisy, both of which should clear on their own.

I said I’m hoping to do a marathon at the end of the month and he didn’t seem too concerned (he’s a runner...). He just said to not push the pace and if I start coughing or getting breathless to slow down or be prepared to stop in order to not make things worse. I think what I’m going to do is try and up the training mileage a bit before Marrakech, maybe get a 15-miler in, and just see how I am before deciding what to do about the race. So I’m seeing this all as good news, but I won’t go crazy.

I do actually feel that I could do this weekend’s event, but I’m not going....I’ll focus on Marrakech and just see how I am the next couple of weeks. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Big G-Thanks for the advice,my last couple of 20's I've changed the route and basically done my 10 mile loop twice so will do the same again and have plenty of options to shorten it if needed.
    Big G-Great news that everything is ok,hope it continues to improve.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's good and reassuring news from the docs and you can make plans now.

I still think this weekend is far too soon plus it is January and the depths of winter.   However Marrakech should be a lot warmer and dryer and much better conditions for you

If it was me I would postpone any marathon until late March or even April and focus on getting some decent training in.  

But whatever you do you should be well up for a PB attempt in the autumn if that's what you want so all promising for a good year.
  • Rob, adorable. Love kitties - I be a mad cat lady if I had a big enough place. And I think I need to do Jersey Farm and Panshanger first - maybe after Tokyo, though, which is getting alarmingly close.
    Big G, that sounds like good news. Sounds advice from Shades.
    Shades, the problem is the road shoes wouldn't have enough grip.
  • Big_G - glad you got the all clear so training can resume..

Well I've gone and done it... I've entered my first 100.. scared shitless but excited at the same time. Just need to figure out training priority.  A fast London,  the 100 or outlaw.. holy crap going to be a busy first half of the year..

Shades - any advice on how to train for 100 mile race or is it just getting used to running on tired legs by doing double long runs. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - hope you went with the right choice of shoes today, bit tricky to know what's best.

Iain - you are going to be busy!   What date is your 100 miler and what date is Outlaw?

You already have an advantage of working nights and just having done a night event as one of the hardest parts of a 100 miler is going through the dark and keeping awake when you'd normally be asleep.

I'm assuming the swim is still your nemesis so I would suggest that you swim weekly from now so that it becomes less of a problem and a good thing to do on your run rest day.   The bike you can pick up on after London when the weather is better.

Pull off a 100 mile training plan and adapt it to suit, if the mileage is too much as you have a fairly demanding job too pull off a 100k plan and see if that suits better.   If you could find a 50 mile event to do as part of your training that would help, especially with fuelling.

I'm assuming your 100 miler isn't self navigate either so that's one less thing to worry about, is it hilly?

8 miles for me this morning, nice day but colder.  Yet another sheep incident :o 🐑 I often run this route on a Saturday as it takes me on a road called Saturday Lane, which amuses me ;) , quiet single lane road, never met a car along there as it just goes to a couple of houses/farms.   But out on the road about 15 sheep that have escaped from their field and are happily eating the hedges and making friends with the sheep in the field on the other side of the road.   When they saw me about half of them ran back to their field and jumped back over the hedge.   The remainder trotted along the road in front of me for about a quarter of a mile and when we came to a track/bridle path they turned up there and I could continue my run. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Nice one Iain.  Which 100-miler is it?  Sounds like you're going to be busy!

Shades, good to see your goals for this year, and the DD.  I remember you saying a few weeks ago that you'll start building the mileage February (I think you said).   Is that still the plan?

I did 10-miles today, including parkrun.  A flat route and all at an easy pace, and I felt good in myself and chest was fine again.  For some reason I felt a tweak in "the shoulder" so I hope that comes to nothing!  I've had no real issues with it apart from the occasional twinge at home, but haven't had any issues whilst running for quite a while (I did have some numbness I think in Berlin, but it didn't cause any issues and I can't remember anything since then whilst running).  I genuinely can't think what would have caused it as I'm still using the shoulder as an excuse for the reason that I can't do any DIY...  Really hoping it's just one of those things.

Sad news over here as it looks like OH's dog, Hiske, will be put to sleep today or tomorrow :(  She's 14 and over the last 6 months or so her back legs have not been great, but she's remained happy in herself and we've just been careful with the amount of walking she's done (drastically reduced the 6 weeks or so).  It's funny as going for a walk without the dog isn't the same - I've never thought I needed a reason to go for a long walk and have done plenty without a dog, but with a dog the walks are different (better) some how.

Anyway, the last couple of days she's developed some neurological condition that the OH is aware of (she's a vet), which means Hiske is kind of tilting her head and starting to fall over, so unfortunately it's time.  OH is going to do it herself at home, as Hiske hates going to the vet.

Hiske's not really "my dog", but I have thought of her in that way for the last couple of years.  She's a lovely natured thing.  We've already talked about getting another dog, so we'll see, but if we do I'd like one I can run with for short runs (say 6-mile or so) - maybe even take it to parkruns where dogs are allowed.  Hiske is great, but a crap running partner as she was always very keen to stop and sniff everything!  She's a gun dog so a very keen sense of smell although, bizarrely for a gun dog, terrified of loud noises!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - oh that's so sad, she is a beautiful dog.   The worse part of owning a pet but I'm sure she's had a good life and I would guess that's a good age for her breed.

Re your shoulder, are you still doing your shoulder rehab exercises?   Maybe you just slept on it awkwardly, I'm assuming you're avoiding any January plank challenges. ;) 

That's a good run done today.

Yes, plan is to increase mileage February.   For 16 weeks I've done 50 mpw, apart from a couple of weeks, head cold and sore throat.   Then the last 2 weeks as I had no classes I've not taken a rest day and mileage is 56 last week and will be about 58 this week.  I'm not missing the long runs at all and think I will struggle to get back to doing them.   With Hadd base training you're not really supposed to do any strength/gym work, supposed to be counter productive but despite that my training pace and HR's are good, I'm running an easy 10 miles with no cardiac drift at all.  So I'd planned a Hadd test for Monday morning but as the forecast has now changed to being very windy that morning, I've had to reschedule for tomorrow, not ideal as supposed to do it rested and I've run for the last 13 days.   Then next week will introduce an ILTHR run which is 77-80% and the week after 2 ILTHR runs a week.

Just had a new pair of shoes delivered, they feel gorgeous but can't really try them out for a Hadd test tomorrow so will have to wait until Monday.    These are Asics Dynamis, supposed to a very good shoe, similar to Guides for mild overpronators so possible future race shoe, we'll see.   Has this fancy lacing system BOA which from just trying them on seems really good, will have to see how they are out on the road.

Right must get to the gym, bet it's heaving today :#
  • Robert - I can highly recommend the canary events..I’ll be doing the headtourch one again this year and possibly the 50 miler..

Shades - the 100 is 30/31 May and outlaw is 26th July . The 100 is a SVN event so laps. 16x6.25 mile laps and thankfully it’s very flat but I HATE laps...Carol has said she will try pace me for the last 5 laps when I need it most and she gets recognition too which is cool.. I’ll look for some 50milers between now and May .. would you recommend me trying for a sub 3 London or should I play it safe?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - well the dates of your events are fairly well spread out so that's good.
    But as you only have a month from London to the 100 miler I think you need to focus on training for the 100 miler.  Then pre London take a reasonable taper and I think you could still get a sub 3 due to the extra mileage from your ultra training.

Laps can be mentally so hard but the advantage of regular and easy access to food/drinks/kit can make for a more comfortable run and less worry about if you can actually finish.  I agree a single lap event is much more enjoyable as long as everything is going well.   

Carol is a brave woman to volunteer to buddy you for the last few laps, does she know how cranky a tired ultra runner can be in the last few miles?   ;)
  • Oh Big G, that's so sad, she's a lovely looking dog.

Just found out there's a rail replacement bus for my journey to Battersea Park tomorrow - normally a very straightforward three stop train journey. Arse. The alternative is go to the next nearest station which means a change at Clapham Junction (I'd have to get on the bus there anyway) but an 18 minute wait. I've half a mind to run there instead.

So, Squerryes Winery parkrun today. I thought Walthamstow was muddy, but it was nothing compared to this. Trail shoes were no help at all. I spent it slipping and sliding and cursing and recorded my slowest ever time  - 32:46. I've never done more than 30 minutes before. Despite that I was still 6th lady and first in my age cat, due to the small field.
    Shoes were so trashed they went in the bin when I got home.
    It is a nice parkrun - it would be lovely in the late summer/autumn with the grapes blooming, and the cafe/shop was very nice, although I didn't take any money (however, there were quite a few parkrun tourists there and one of them bought me a coffee - turns out he lives not far from Colin and is involved in the new Alexandra parkrun, and he offered to drive me to some of the Manchester parkruns when I'm next in the area).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well, it's done.  I don't quite know how OH managed to do it as she was very upset, but Hiske was at home and very relaxed when it happened, which is what OH wanted.  Very sad, but of course it's the right thing for Hiske.  In a way it was an easy decision as the last 2 days she just hasn't been herself, but it's still sad.

OH and I went for a short walk afterwards and we were talking about why walking with a dog is so much better.  I think it's just because they need walking, so it gets you out the door whatever the weather, and Hiske had 2x45-min (minimum) every day, all weathers.  That makes it sound like a chore, but it really doesn't seem like it at the time.  On NYE, OH and I went for a longish walk (8-miles) around a couple of our favourite woods and stopped at 2 coffee shops en route.  It was really nice, but just not the same as we weren't able to take Hiske and I think we are both aware that she was at home, when a few months previously she'd have been with us.

Shades, yes, I'm still doing the exercises although not daily any more - I tend to do them if I'm watching Homes Under the Hammer....  Definitely no plank challenge this year!  Yes, Hiske reached a good age for her breed/dog of her size, and had a very good life.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good luck today for your 10k, hope transport issues aren't too much of a hassle.

Perhaps the best place for those trail shoes ;) 

Big G - very upsetting for you and especially OH.  OH is brave to do it herself but absolutely the right thing to do and Hiske would have just gone to sleep in her home.  

Good that you're still doing your shoulder exercises, so easy to forget when there's no pain.   Pilates has really helped my shoulders, I had fairly restricted movement but didn't realise it until I started Pilates.   

Did my Hadd test this morning, I must do them more often as they're mentally quite hard when I don't do them often enough and I found it hard to settle into a rhythm at each HR.

Very pleased with the results, definitely time to start the ILTHR runs now.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Hope you got there today without too much hassle.
    Big G-Hope OH is ok over Hiske,sad times when it happens,haven't had a pet since I was younger but still remember how it felt.
    Well work has a way of messing my schedule up,and after a 12 hr day yesterday I didn't fancy running so won't end up doing 70 after all,just been in for a couple of hours so will go for my long run soon.
    OH had her first 20 yesterday,she found it tough near the end but that's to be expected so she's in a good place with 10 weeks to go.
  • Morning folks..

Big_G - really sad to loose a pet but it sounds like it was the right choice. 

Shades - thankfully Carol has been around me long enough and knows how to deal with me when I go into diva mode.. a swift slap on the back of the head will sort me out..

Just got back from volunteering at the junior parkrun which I quite like and Aiden runs it. He is doing ok and finished in 7th place. 
    Will be looking for some training plans today and starting to get my 100 journey started..
  • Ian, good luck to your OH. I spent the last two miles of my first 20 swearing and cursing, it felt so horrible. You do get used to them, though. Or more used to them.

I decided against running to Battersea after realising I'd have to stand around in the cold in sweaty gear until the race started, and opted instead to walk the mile or so from Clapham Junction.
    Got there OK, then did a mile warm-up and my legs felt heavy and tired, so I figured it wouldn't be a great run.
    But then I got lined up at the start and just gunned it. I'm never very good at judging pace for the first mile so was a bit taken aback when I did it in 8:01, which is very close to my 5K pace (I'd need 8:15s or so for a PB). Second mile went in 8:04 which was still a bit too fast, really, but I just settled down to work. Mile three was 8:07, but now my legs were full of lactic and my breathing was starting to sound like a donkey humping a set of bagpipes. Mile 4 was my slowest at 8:21 but I wasn't panicking as I had a good chunk of time banked. I pulled back a bit for mile 5 with an 8:16 and so as long as I didn't get a cramp or something, the PB was there for the taking.
    I got some encouraging shouts from the superfast Chasers training around the edge of the park which gave me a boost and I knuckled down for the last mile and a bit. Held it together for 8:11 and then found something from somewhere to get me over the finish.
    Official time - 50:12 - a minute and a half PB (and tantilisingly close to a sub-50).
    After the disappointing 10K I ran in December, I am very happy with this. It also made me realise that 10K is probably my least favourite distance - all the pain of a 5K but twice as far. But the Runthrough events do have very good flapjacks so it's all been worth it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great PB, well done.  Shows your marathon training is going to plan.

Ian - never mind about your potential highest mileage, these things happen.

Well done to your OH on her first 20 miler, she's really doing well with her training.

Iain - ha,ha looks like you'll have to behave yourself in those last few miles.

Aiden is doing well, good genes  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Thats a great PB,that 49:xx will be yours this year if you want it.Agree on the 10k,I've not got any planned in yet and may not this year.
    Went and did just over 20 to give me 63 miles this week,half mile over my previous best.For some daft reason half way through I decided to change my route and from 15 miles I did my 3 lap hilly loop   :#  Good Boston training for the last 3 hills,3rd hill hurt and had to tell myself to get up quickly,managed to regain composure and the last 1.5 home I got up to a decent pace.
  • Big G, so sorry to hear about Hiske going over the rainbow bridge, similar Marley wasn't mine but felt that way.  Last few years most of marley's walks were down to 2x 10-15 mins.  We wanted to get another dog and very nearly did but got cold feet last minute.  Know what you mean about dog walks being different.

Ian well done on the big weeks miles, those hills will defo help with Boston.

Cal well done on your run, the autumn's training still paying dividends.  Not done a runthrough race since the one at Hyde Park in 2018! They had to start putting up one flapjack per runner due to someone I know taking more than their fair share.

Iain, good luck with the 100, 16 laps will be a drain but it's not too far from checkpoints each time and removes the strain of navigation.

Shades, what changes are in store for the new guides? I've still got a pair box fresh I bought a year ago!

Been dog sitting for my sister and happens to be close to where WJ had a xc event so decided to have a detoured run there 4.3 miles and 2.3 miles back and felt okay 13.3 miles for the week which is my biggest week post fall.   One of our girls was out in the lead half a lap to go and fainted.  Very good runner 76 min half/ 34 min 10 haven't heard how shes doing as taken to hospital but hopefully she's okay 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done, Cal. A great way to kick of the New Year!

Well done on the weekly mileage there Robert. Fingers crossed your club mate is fine.

That’s still decent mileage, Ian. Well done on the long run.

Good news on the HADD test, Shades. Sounds like the training is going well.

A bit of a stressful morning as we took Hiske to the vet today. Went for a nice breakfast afterwards and OH has been keeping herself busy in the garden this afternoon.

I went out and did 11 miles on a new route for me. Nice and steady and enjoyed it, although I did take a wrong turn and got my shoes muddy. A nice run out though and I’ll go out that way again some time (Stoke Gabriel on the River Dart). 
  • Rob, not the case today - it was a case of help yourself. (I might have taken more than one... o:))

Scary about your runner - hope she's OK. Glad to see you beginning to get back to it, though - it's been a long while hasn't it?

Ian, that's a good run. I think the atmosphere will help a lot at Boston but wise to practise the hills as much as possible.