Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cal been 6 1/2 months since my fall and 15 months since I was injured so battling with quite a few demons, good news is the PF seems to be under control so will see how that fairs as I increase the mileage gradually.

Saw Tom Williams from Marathon talk post his 10 year photo.  Its some transformation

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it's funny how the mind works mid run just to make it a bit harder.   Well done on the mileage.

Rob - this review on the guide 13's gives quite comprehensive details on the changes.   https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2019/12/saucony-guide-13-review/

It does say in the review that some runners couldn't get on with the ISO fit on the last 2 editions, that might be me as I don't like the fit of my ISO 1's, yet I've bought a pair of Ride ISO and the fit is perfect on me.    But the ISO 1's have been selling for £40 for months so that's some refection that they're not as popular as the Guide 9 and 10's.  I have 2 pairs of Guide 9's unworn which will be for 2020 races.

Well done on your highest mileage week post fall/surgery.   Hope your fellow club runner is OK.

What are your running plans for 2020?   That is promising news re that PF.

Wow that is some transformation by Tom Williams.

Big G - it's good to find a new running route.   

8 miles today, difficult run today.  Think my legs were complaining a bit after doing a bit of faster running yesterday for my Hadd test and they're not used to that.  Very strong cold headwind didn't help either.   Different world today, loads of traffic everyone going back to work.   Wore my new shoes Asics Dynamis and they are lovely.   I really like the fancy lacing system, as good as having elastic laces.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, that is quite a difference by Tom Williams!  I don't listen to it every single week, but I haven't heard him on the show for a while.  The last I heard he hurt himself at Comrades so hadn't ran for some time.  Hopefully he'll get back to it soon.  I've got my fingers crossed that you're well on the road to recovery now too.

Quite surprised that I did 37 miles last week.  It wasn't planned like that but I did 1x11-miler,  2x10-milers, and then the NYD parkrun double.  I feel fine too, which is good news.  I'm not doing any speed work at all at the moment, but just trying to get some easy miles in.   I am going back to the scene of last year's "snooker injury" next weekend - London for the Masters Snooker.  I do have aisle seats this time, so hopefully that won't get too cramped up, and I'll try and move around more!  What with the shoulder, hip, tooth infection and then chest infection all spread throughout last year, I'd forgotten that 2019 also started off crap too!
  • Shades, review looks good for the guides, I felt my guides lacked support round the heel so hope these are better, £107 on sportsshoes even with 10% off bit pricey, so will have to wait a season or two, in no major rush for shoes may try the Omni's if I see any at the right price.

Big G, I've not listened to MT for about a year, used to use the commute to work to listen to it, may try get something to link my phone to the car stereo.  Good luck at the snooker, hope you stay injury free this time.

Running plans for 2020 is to be able to run again pain free.  Have 2 stone/ 12kg to lose which I should see drop once I get some miles under my belt and cleaner eating starts now. Haven't set any targets for finishing times just finishing lines. Cambridge Boundary run on 1st March, 7 hour cut off so hope to get to half marathon and evaluate if I reckon I can get the 2nd half done.  NDW50 in 18 weeks aim to utilize the full 13 hour cut off.  I have WW50 in Nov plus 4-5 low key marathon/ 50k races to keep me ticking over. 

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-That is a bad transformation,maybe the picture will encourage him to get fitter again.
    Shades-The guide 13's look good,but like you I will wait for them to come down in price,reviews like that won't help to lower them though.
    I've noticed my ankle hurting a bit recently so wondering if I need a shoe that's a bit more supportive.
    Big G-Be careful down there,don't want another injury.
    Legs aren't too bad this morning so I'm happy with that,try and get out for an easy run after work,aiming to have another decent mileage week before cutting back next week.
  • Ian 100% recommend the support from Brooks Adrenaline, however you're looking very cheapest £76 and most likely £90 a pair.  Good to hear after a big week the legs are feeling okay.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'd forgotten about your 'snooker injury', you don't want that again.

Robert - I've got Omnis on my wish list as a possible replacement for Guides too, but above that I've got the Hurricanes which I think might be a better choice for me than the Omnis.   Or I could go back to the Adrenalines, good shoes.   

That's a good schedule for your comeback in 2020.   The extra weight will go quickly as your training increases.

Ian - don't assume that a more supportive shoe would help your ankle pain.  

I had two pairs of Kayanos which I got free from Asics and they made my ankles hurt as they were too supportive for me, was gutting to give them away, my own fault I should have chosen the cheaper shoe.
  • Rob, I wish you all the best with your goals. It's been a long time in the doldrums (I guess you won't be showboating again!)
    That is not a flattering photo of Tom. I hope that gives him the kick up the arse he needs to fix it.

Big G, you beat me by two miles, but it was a quieter week for me.

Well done on the 8, Shades.

Just 6 for me today - didn't want to overdo it (normally I'd rest today but I felt like going out so I did). Bit windy.
  • Shades, I used to use Kayanos as my 1st support shoe (13s) was given a pair of 24s and couldn't get on with them found the flytefoam too soft and springy.  whilst mileage is low will prob have a test with hurricanes again and Omni as should be able to pick a couple of pairs up for a price of adrenalines.

Cal I will never ever make a joke whilst running ever again just to be safe! 'Just the 6 miles' I can only dream of saying that at the moment.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Approx 4.5 miles today.  Very wet when I went out, although not that cold.  If it's a bit better weather tomorrow hopefully I'll get out for a slightly longer run, as still don't want to be out too long in wet and/or cold weather if I can help it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Ok I presumed it would help,will go to a shop at some point.
    Rob-Promising signs,just shows what can happen if we don't concentrate.
    Had a very easy 8 mile recovery run after work,took it very easy and ran to feel.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - do you have a half marathon planned pre Tokyo?

Rob - years ago I used to run in Omnis and they were good high mileage shoes then.   Never tried the Hurricanes but I think they would suit me, like the Brooks hard to get a bargain price, cheapest I've seen is £70.

Big G - we've been really fortunate with the weather so far for January but hoping for not wet or cold is asking a lot. ;)   

Ian  - do you run in any other shoes apart from your Guides?   

6 miles today, had a good run, energy levels back today :)  Nice morning, bit of a headwind but a warmish wind coming up from the sea.   Was supposed to do a run at BT pace as I have my first rest day tomorrow after 16 days then first ILTHR planned for Thursday but I felt fresh today so ended up doing an ILTHR run today instead, whoops.

Pilates and gym later this morning 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Good article better than it's bad for the knees,what's this warm up it talks about though?
    I only train I'm the guides,tend to find a pair I like and then keep getting them.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I think they just been going a bit slower for the first 10 metres.  You're good to go then, right?  In fairness I do warm up before shorter races (up to Halfs) and when I do speed sessions with the club, but don't really do anything for training runs.
  • Big G - Good news from the Doctors for you!
    Shades - That's great mileage over the last 16 weeks.
    Ian - Nice mileage from you too. I'd have agreed with Big G/shades, that if you felt good the jump to 70 would have been OK for you.
    18 miles with 10 miles at MP on Saturday (7:06 average), with 12 miles on Sunday for 64 miles for the week.
    8 miles with strides today.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went out and did 15 miles today. Quite hilly in parts, which tended to correspond with the muddier sections, so although it was an easy-paced run my overall pace was 10:45 as I had to walk a lot of the really muddy bits especially. Really enjoyed being out there though. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Shades-Good article better than it's bad for the knees,what's this warm up it talks about though?
    I only train I'm the guides,tend to find a pair I like and then keep getting them.

I didn't notice the bit about the warm up, had to go back and read it again. :/    That bit was probably written by a non marathon runner, we naturally set out on every session at base pace so no need for warm up for that.

Ian - I would advise some serious shoe shopping.   Best to alternate shoes every day, different models and preferably different brands too.   For you with achilles problems a pair with a higher drop would be good for training at the times the achilles is niggling.   You don't need to spend a fortune, keep your favourite shoes for races and long runs and use end of line in other brands/models for the rest of your training.   I do a lot of my training in neutral shoes and race in mild overpronation shoes (Guides).   

I think Big G trains in mild overpronation shoes and races in neutral shoes, which is probably what most distance runners and the elite runners do. 

Steve - that mileage is climbing, what figure will you peak at?

Big G - although it's damp it's lovely and mild today, good running conditions.

Killer Pilates class, she worked us really hard doing abs stuff.   Gym was nice and quiet though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    "Big G" in the same sentence as "elites" doesn't happen very often (ever!).  But yes, that's what I do.  I fell into it by accident really.  I was on the look out for a lighter pair of shoes for racing and got given a pair that I got on really well with, and have stuck with those for all my racing and have several pairs on rotation, as well as a couple of pairs in boxes.  I have a couple of different brands I run in when training, but when I put the racing shoes on they feel very different and a lot lighter.  It hasn't caused me problems though, and I get a high mileage out of them.

It looks like a few Trotters are going to be involved in a photo/video shoot this weekend for parkrun.  They're doing a new clothing range, and Pro Direct (the people who deliver the parkrun T-Shirts, and are a local business) asked the club for 6 people, and Trotters chose me as one of those six.  Pro Direct are doing the photo shoot.  They've asked for our T-Shirt size, hoody size and shoe size so it looks like some freebies are coming our way.  I don't think it's a big secret as I'm fairly sure the new clothing range is available now, so I'm sure it's fine telling you all on here. :)    Not complaining, but possibly strangely for a parkrun promotion, the timing of the shoot means we can't run parkrun (even though it's at a parkrun location), but hopefully I'll get a run in afterwards.  There's a new cycle path that opened before Xmas that goes from Bovey Tracey (Parke parkrun location) towards Mortenhampstead so I may take the opportunity to run up and down there afterwards.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good miles,more modelling? Maybe a new career is forming.
    Steve-You are getting some great miles in,looking really strong.
    Shades-I do have a couple of pairs on rotation,both ISO's,but any excuse to show shop.
    12 miles today,little tired at the start but soon settled into my usual easy pace and finished strong.
  • Ian - Thanks. Regarding shoes, I've got 3 pairs I'm using for training with another to pop into the rotation! Nice 12 miler.
    Shades - I'm aiming to peak at 70 miles, but most will be 50-60 ish.
    Big G - See, the elites get the photoshoots!! Nice 15 miles.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian/Steve, I’ve been told I have a face that’s great for radio, so I won’t be too disappointed if only 5 of the 6 Trotters end up being used.... ;) Not totally sure what it’s all going to be used for, so it’ll be interesting to see. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Roadhawks are next on my shopping list, if they're still at a good price, £40, when I'm ready to buy again.

The photoshoot sounds fun, I assume YT is one of the chosen ones too.   Ironic you'll miss parkrun because of the photoshoot.  Hope you get some nice goodies to keep.

Ian - enjoy the shoe shopping  :)

Steve - you're not far off the 70 miles now.  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, YT doesn't actually do that many parkruns, but Pro Direct approached us initially for the parkrun stuff partly because they support YT, and we're local to them.  The other five are someone trying to get 100 1st finishes, a Mum with a toddler who regularly parkruns, an RD of a local parkrun (Teignmouth), a totally new runner who did parkrun first and then joined Trotters, and a 100MCer who regularly parkruns.  Then there's me who tries to get to different locations, and where parkrun helped me through some tough times.

I've just been asked what shoes I want from their sales page!  I've put my order in for Asics GT 2000, which I use regularly for training, so let's see if it all comes off.
  • Shades - Yes, not many more miles to squeeze in, just consistent mileage. Cut back week this week though, then the first 20 miler of the plan the following weekend.
  • Shades - yes, Farnborough in a couple of weeks.
    Big G - nice one! That parkrun stuff isn't cheap, actually. The hoody looks pretty nice.

Well done on your runs, all. I was set to run yesterday as I have a Sky engineer booked for today (and they can come any time from 8am - you won't know until they phone) but my throat felt a bit scratchy and I realised I'd already run four days on the trot so I should probably rest.
    I'm almost ashamed to say I did nothing (my steps count for the day was in the hundreds) but that does seem to be the best course of action when my immune system is giving me the side eye.
    Still, it did mean I had to get up at arse o'clock to fit in my MLR today. I was out not long after 5. Did 14 miles easy and felt pretty strong throughout. Lots left in the tank.
    Unfortunately, I do seem to have gained a few pounds in the Christmas aftermath - I acquired a lot of goodies and have been working my way through them, which wouldn't hurt too much normally but I had a cut-back week last week due to the race and the NYD parkrun double and only did 35 miles total.
    I also need to get back on top of my core work. Lower back and QL (primarily the left one) are the most grumbly bits of me when I do longer runs. I've been doing my glute drills but I need to start planking again. Ugh.
  • Ian, I also used to use 3-4 pairs to rotate, bring out a new pair to run 100 miles in before a marathon then bring them into the mix as a training shoe.

Big G congratulations on the modelling career, always welcome freebies hope the shoes come off.  I welcome the fact that they are using 'normal' club runner and not a bunch of models.  

Not sure what they mean by warm up in the article either.  As I'm not running much at the moment I do spend a fair bit of time running about the house looking for my watch, then a further time spend searching for the charger as it's usually dead. 

Another 4 miles yesterday, was my 1st evening run (not a fan of night running anyhow) felt sluggish but just kept on telling myself it's better to do something than nothing.  My knee is feeling stronger but still a way off from feeling normal. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, good news you felt strong on today's run.  Maybe the easy day yesterday is what you needed.

Robert, as the physio/Doc given any indication on how long it may take for the knee to feel more normal?

10-miles for me this morning.  It consisted of 1-mile run to the sea front, 8x1-mile laps of green, and then 1-mile run back.  Flat, but quite challenging doing laps of the green.  Consistent pace though and I felt good, although quite tired now.  It'll probably either be a total rest day from running tomorrow or just a short 3 or 4-miler.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - great news on another pair of shoes for your stock, I'm sure you'll mention to OH that you didn't have to pay for these ones ;) 

Steve - are you still doing the kettlebells/strength work or have you eased off on that a bit?

Cal - I don't remember you doing Farnborough before, new to you?

Nothing wrong with a very easy day especially if you think you might not be 100%.    
    Lots of folk have put on a few pounds over Xmas, you'll soon sort it out.   

Robert - my pre run warm up is at least one cup of coffee, preferably two. ;) 
    I charge my Garmin when I charge my phone otherwise I'd forget.

Good for getting out there for an evening run on these dark miserable nights.

Rest day for me from running, first rest day since 22nd Dec.   Circuits felt tough for all of us after such a long break, was good though, then upper body session in the gym.   Gym a lot busier today :#
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost.   8 laps of the green must have been quite tough mentally.