Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Pleasant run just now and mapping back afte rthe soft reset approach aka turn off and on again. Now 5.5 miles away from 10k miles in total running.
    I assume it would be better to do lots of shorter 3-4 maybe 5 mile stuff than aim for something nearer 10 being in 3 weeks time this is day 3 quadzilla. Perfectly happy building longer run fitness doing them and i think i'd be better off with shorter runs in the run up to it to reatune the body to moving.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Shades, I can see the attraction of Zwift in some ways.  I have a 6, 7 and 10-mile route that I've done dozens of times (and they're all on broadly the same route).  They're my "go to" routes - ones that I don't have to think about, are well lit and not too many road crossings, but I suppose can become a bit repetitive after that many times.  I suppose with Zwift you can effectively run anywhere, virtually.  New York, London, mountain ranges, wherever you want.  There are "events" at set times too, so you can jump into events and run with people, and you can set up groups I think and run with friends.  I haven't looked so I could well be wrong, but I was chatting to someone last week at parkrun and they said it's about £13 a month, which to me seems quite pricey.  I'm not getting it as I wouldn't really use it apart from in icy conditions but I can see how it could be useful.

In other news, a WAY friend of mine is training to walk a 100-miler.  He walked a 100k last year, and did a few LDWA events on the way for training.  I'm thinking of walking one marathon with him if I can fit it in - early March I'm looking at.  He's a very quick walker though.  I think I'm pretty quick at walking, but he's on Strava and does 4.2mph for 4 or 5 hours at time.  He walked a very hilly and very muddy one last year in 7.5hrs - I remember I ran/walked one with friends a couple of years ago and we were genuinely delighted with our sub-7!  Walking is different to running isn't it - time on feet, different muscles etc, but I quite fancy it as something a bit different.

Plumber is coming around between 12 and 5pm so hopefully he can sort it out.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ha ha, I was just looking at our Devonshire Dumpling LDWA route.  Although I said we were delighted with our sub-7, which we were, our moving time was 5:45, so I guess we were eating/yapping/looking at route instructions for quite a lot time!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - No, you need to get out there and do a 20 miler ;) 

Whatever you do, or don't do, the Quadzilla is going to hurt. :'(

Big G - £13 a month, I think that's a lot.   But I think of it as for non runners trying to keep fit and wanting that competitive edge all the time to make them actually run.

Just be careful if you walk that marathon as you could easily get injured, different muscles.   But I'm sure your friend would let you run/walk it, that would avoid injury for you and you'd have plenty of eating time too.  :) 

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the plumber, especially as you have outlaws arriving today.   

My plumber lives across the road from me, which is so convenient, except he goes to Spain a lot and always seems to be there when I phone him.

It's still icy here and I hear on the news a few accidents and road closures due to black ice.   

• I'll take my recovery food toblerone with me. And the hammer and screwdriver required to break it into edible size pieces ;)
    After last weeks weirdly achy legs from doing nothing for 6 weeks after the first run there has been nothing of note after wed mornings or todays so seems relatively ok currently. Not sure what i'll do tomorrow i supect two small loops as a means to kill of fetchpoint bugs having killed a bunch today.
  • I had my own near miss today. I travelled up to Gunpowder in Essex (it's a long tube ride, a few stops on the train and then a 2 mile job - a bit of a mission) as I wanted a flattish hard surface one, but when I got to the park, the puddles on the paths were covered in ice. This didn't look promising, and when the RD arrived (I was early), the parkrun got cancelled.
    The next nearest was Roding Valley, another I've not done, though I've been avoiding it as it's very muddy. However, there was no chance of me making anywhere else. I managed to blag a lift with some other parkrunners and we made it to Roding with a minute or two to spare.
    The mud was indeed spectacular, and unfortunately I was in my Zoom Flys, so I just took it easy, walked the worst bits and came in with a new personal worst of 32:29. But, at least it was a parkrun ticked off, rather than no run at all!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, it seemed pricey to me as well.  I just checked to make sure and what I was told is correct and it's £12.99pm, but I think on occasion you can get codes for money off or promotional periods.  

Cal, well done on being able to get a different run.  Hopefully your Zoom Flys aren't too muddy.

Plumber as been and it's all sorted from parts he had in has van.  It wasn't too badly priced, thankfully!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Well done on getting to another parkrun on time.
    Big G-Glad the plumber wasnt too bad.
    Think I've decided to give tomorrow a go,todays cancelled runs shows what shades said is possible.
    Forecast looks ok and lots of fast runners so should be able to drag me along.Now what pace do I go for..... :'(
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - in this cold weather you might need a chainsaw to cut that Toblerone .

Cal - well done on promptly finding another parkrun today.   Hope you can clean the worst of the mud off your shoes.   Sometimes a good run in the rain can clean them up well.

Big G - that's good news on the plumber, nothing too serious or expensive.

Ian - sorry to potentially put a dampener on your plans only I've seen so many times that something goes wrong with target races and an opportunity is missed.
    Can't help with the pace, you know what you want.   :open_mouth:

I've more or less decided not to run tomorrow, just too cold for me, I knew there was a possibility this might happen with a winter marathon.  I'll make a final decision in the morning.  If I don't run I'll have to find another race to keep my numbers right but I can do that, annoying but possible.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Just read on FB that the first 3 miles of Plym Trail course today was an ice rink, runners slipping a lot.   Pinched this photo, we have to run up and down this hill at the start although the course might be drier tomorrow.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, sounds like the right decision about Plym Trail. It is very cold out there.

Ian, best of luck for tomorrow!!

Discovered a packet of peanuts in the cupboard and ate them this afternoon. Turns out OH wanted them for a sauce she was making :) I offered to go and get some more, and went for a run at the same time :) Just 6 miles and although I felt a bit achey, it was enjoyable nonetheless. 
  • Risky, leaving peanuts where they can be found and eaten! Good excuse for a run though, Big G.
    Yes, shoes are fine - I have a high pressure shower attachement so I cleaned them in the bath (er, I wasn't in the bath at the time...) Then I had to clean the bath.

Lots of parkruns cancelled today due to ice - seems the muddy ones were a better bet, all things considered. Shades, sensible, honestly - slipping and getting injured would be a bad way to start the year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - OH will have to hide the peanuts from you in future ;) but a good opportunity to get a run done.

Cal - to me it's just not worth the risk running on ice and you can see from the photo how bad it was there.   It's annoying as we haven't had any ice on a Sunday for a very long time and I see next Sunday is back to our usual rain and milder temps.   Never mind, I will find another race in warmer conditions to do in the Spring/summer.

Glad the shoes are clean again, annoying having to clean the bath though ;)

Ian - good luck today and anyone else racing.

Very heavy frost here but the roads look drier than yesterday, still patches of ice though so will maybe go out for a little run later on when it clears.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Been icy here overnight but they had the gritters out so the roads should be ok,also currently very foggy but its closed roads otherwise I could see that being enough to stop it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It's a rest day for me today.  Just feeling a bit tired with some general muscle aches this morning, so a rest day probably needed.  It's been 32 miles this week (as I didn't run at all whilst in London) however, with next weekend's first marathon, it's probably not a bad thing.  No firm plans for next week, but it will be reduced again with travel etc.  I'll hopefully get out for 6-7ish tomorrow, and am planning a longer walk on Tuesday if it stays dry.  Probably I'll run on Wednesday and then it'll be minimal running (if any) before the event.  

I usually love running in new places, but I'm not sure how it's going to be in Marrakech.  I'm looking forward to going, but I've read that it can be very, very easy to get lost in the centre (where I'm staying) and it's not runnable as it's packed.  There is a run around the city walls that looks good, but I need to get there and see how easy it is get around before deciding if I can do a run on Friday and/or Saturday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope your race course is ice free so you can have a decent run.    I've been at races where the start was delayed to allow the ice to thaw so the course was safe.

Big G - a step back week will do you good.   If Marrakech isn't a great place for running then I wouldn't bother, just save it for the marathon, I'm sure you'll have plenty time on your feet seeing the city before the race.   Just stay away from all those pastries that they're famous for until after the race, pastry is usually around 50% fat so a big no for pre race carbs.    I'm sure someone told me that the snail stew is amazing and very good for you.

Still icy here, I probably won't run at all today.   As soon as it got light I could see there was more ice than I'd thought and it's not thawing at all.   Catching up with a few chores at home instead, so that's good.
  • Good luck Ian.
    I did go out today, early (half five). I stuck to well-lit main roads until it started getting lighter (which happened around 10 miles) as there were a lot of slippery spots - standard pavement slabs were fine, brick was fine, some tarmac was OK and some was very slippery, and then there were the metal drain covers and patches of frosty leaf mulch to avoid. My intention had been to do 18 with some at MP, but I ended up going very slowly indeed (average pace was a hair under 11!). To make up for that I threw in a mile's worth of hill sprints between 14 and 15, which was the only part of the run I enjoyed.
    Still, better to do a slow 18 than stack it and hurt myself six weeks out from Tokyo.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, as it stands I expect I won't run whilst there.  I did see this site though so outside the centre there are some nice runs, although two of those Top 10 are the Half and Full marathon routes :)   I have put a circular route on my Garmin taking in the city was just in case I fancy it.
    https://theculturetrip.com/africa/morocco/articles/10-peaceful-running-routes-in-marrakech/

We are trying to sort a day trip on the Friday out to Atlas Mountains, so if that happens I won't be running on the Friday anyway as that would be a long day.  I saw a guy on Trip Advisor who had fantastic reviews for an Atlas Mountains tour, but reading the reviews they all had a similar writing style and the majority of them were made on the same couple of days, which seems dodgy to me :)  I've asked the hotel if they can sort a trip out to the mountains as they've been very helpful in sorting out airport transfers at an affordable/competitive price.  It can be more expensive getting a driver but as we're restricted a bit with time, it can be best overall if we want to do something like that.  From what I can see, it's about £15 per person if we get a driver for the day, so it's not too bad and it would be a lot easier/faster than trying to sort public transport for something like that.  If we can't do it, we'll just stay around the city.

For currency, the hotel has said it's best to take sterling or euros on a card, and then they'll show us an ATM nearby to get the local currency.  They've said to definitely not get currency from the ATM at the airport as it's more expensive.  It seems a total bargain whilst there though - £105 for four nights including breakfast for two in what looks like a great hotel and as I've said they've been very helpful in emails so far.  The race wasn't especially cheap though - €75.  I've read some conflicting reviews of the race; some have said it's great, others have said some of the roads are poor quality.  Due to my lack of training, I'm not "racing" it as such so just hoping to enjoy it and get around it in one piece and from that perspective I'm looking forward to it.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    4 villages today,its organised by a local running club,and about £15k each year is donated to local charities so it's a good race to do.
    First 7 miles are a bit up and down but nothing too noticeable,from 7-10 is where it gets tough as there are quite a few hills,then 2 fast downhill and a flat mile to end.Think I took the first few miles too easy,then the hills were hard but through them ok and had lots left for the fast 2 miles,averaged just under 6m/m for them,and finished in 1:24:21.So 18secs behind my best but on a far harder course than the one I set it on,and after 4 weeks with 240 miles so got to be happy with it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - well done for making the most of a run in tricky conditions.   Can't believe it's only 6 weeks to Tokyo. 

Big G - I don't think Marrakech is a place anyone goes to go running except in the actual races.   I think you'll be too busy to run any other time.  I'm sure you'll both enjoy your time there.   Don't forget to try the snail stew.  ;)

Ian - that's a great result, you must be pleased with that. Super running.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Shades-Yes I'm happy with it,looking at my splits I definitely think I went off a little slow as I had way too much for the last couple of miles,the last 400mtrs was at 5:27 pace and that's too quick for the end.
    And a 20 min CB,but I've not ran it since 2017.
  • That's excellent, Ian, well done.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Very well done, Ian.  Great result, especially after a few weeks of good mileage in your legs.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ian - that's a momentous course best, just shows how you've improved so much in 3 years.

Re your early miles being too slow, the first mile is always tricky, setting down, avoiding congestion etc but after that you want to hit target race pace from mile 2 if you can.   Same with the marathon, from mile 2 you need to be on predicted race pace from the race calculator or at a pace that would get you to halfway 4 or 5 minutes slower than your half marathon PB.   
    You ran a great race though, 5:27 pace for the last stretch is some sprint for the line. :o 

6 miles for me this morning.   Bloody freezing, -3 and a heavy frost again.   Roads/pavements looked a lot drier than the last couple of days but once I was out there was far more ice than I thought so the first half mile was a bit dicey.   Then I could run normally as was dry and/or I could run on the road which was better and safer surface and there were just a few icy patches   I was well wrapped up but my muscles just don't like the cold, and I did actually do a warm up today.  Did my core exercises before my run, which I do Tabata style so I get really hot so I was very warm when I went out for my run.
  • Ian - Great run, and massive course best!
    First 20 of the plan for me (well 21!)! Started really slow due to the frost and warmed up nicely, ended up going from 9:30s for the first few miles and ended up on the last few with sub 8:00s which was nice, 8:45 average overall, but HR nice and easy and felt good for my first 20 miler since May 2018!! 11 miler on Sunday to finish with 68 miles for the week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this will work but OH bought me a framed memento from NYC.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - congrats on your first long run, this time round over 20 miles, I bet you've got quite a few of them planned.

Ian - that's a lovely memento of your trip to NY, you look very happy.

Decided to finally do some paperwork this morning that's been on my overdue task list for quite a while  Typically just as I was nearly finished the ink cartridge ran out so had to pop down the road to get another.   Sunny now but pavements still very icy in places and it's so cold.   
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    That's a great memento Ian.  A great way to help remember a fantastic day.  I have something similar from London 2010 which I still have up at home.

Steve, great 21-miler and to finish feeling strong is brilliant too.

Shades, I went out a few hours after you and although cold (around 3deg when I started) there wasn't much ice to dodge.  I did 7-miles at an easy pace and although it was cold, I was dressed with gloves and a hat, and had an enjoyable run.

I started thinking about what pace to aim for at Marrakech.  Although I know it won't be anywhere near a PB, I still need a target in mind as I know in the past if I've not had some sort of target in mind I've had a bad day out.  I expect I'll set out at roughly 4hr pace for the first few miles and just see how I get on.  If I'm slower than that overall, I know I can still get around in the 5.5hr cut off, but if I end up feeling good after the first few miles I can push on slightly if I want to.

Shades, have you ever been to Topsham?  We went over there yesterday afternoon and it's really nice!  The reason we went is there are loads of Dutch-style houses there, but it turns out there are some really good pubs and restaurants there too.  I had a steak at a smokehouse which was probably up there with the best steaks I've had.  I think I may go back in the summer for a day out, and take the ferry over.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you now have the benefit of the sea breezes where you live so you should have less ice/frost.

4 hour pace is far too slow, set out at 3:45 pace at the slowest and see how you get on.

Yes, Topsham is a most desirable area, very pricey but so nice.   I used to work at Darts Farm, did you call in there?  If not make sure you do next time, worth a visit.
  • How wonderful, Ian!
    Well done on the 21, Steve.
    Shades, don't envy you being out this morning. Mind you, tomorrow doesn't look any better!
    Gym for me today.