Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• That frame looks great Ian, my wife made something similar for me but with all my medals and race numbers, although I've not ran any marathons yet!

I'm officially in the first week of marathon training! I had a forced weekend off with a tummy bug, but hopefully will be ok by tomorrow and getting started (although I've been training quite well for a couple of months!)

Quite apprehensive about it all, and feel I ask very basic questions to a group of you experienced campaigners but hopefully it all works out.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, being nosey, I was having a look at house prices in that area and some of them were eye-watering!  Very nice though.  I've been to Darts Farm before although we didn't go yesterday.

Don't know if you're aware of a local runner called Arran Tocknell?  I don't think he does marathons but he's one of the quicker local runners.  I was plodding along minding my own business on my run this morning and he flew past me like I was standing still.  I just had a look and he was doing mile reps around Paignton Green at around 5:15 pace.  Gulp!

I'll have a think about Marrakech.  I need some kind of plan, that's for sure!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post, Cozy.  Don't worry about asking questions; if something's on your mind, just ask.  Although some of us have been running for a while, we all still have questions.
  • Thanks Big-G, I appreciate it!

On Arran Tocknell subject, I live close to Callum Hawkins and the Strava records in my area are largely held by him at a pace I think I'd struggle to run if I just turned up to do the Strava section!!

I also lived in Guernsey for a few years and would regularly see Lee Merrien tanking past, it really is unbelievable the pace these lads maintain for such a distance!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, did you have any discussions around Kipchoge's pace for his sub-2hr marathon?  At a push and with the wind behind me I might be able to do 100m (17secs), but I think it's unlikely I'd be able to do 200m.  I'd have zero chance for 400m (68secs).  There are only a small number of runners in my club who may be able to do one mile at that pace (4:34), but Kipchoge did that for 26.2 miles.  Bonkers really.
  • I was reading some of the discussions on various social media places!

I can't remember the park run stat, but I'm sure it was something along the lines of, only 2 park runs in the history of park run have been at a quicker pace than he ran the full marathon.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, yeah, and that number (I think it was five times in 50m+ parkruns) included at least one British elite runner!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    One of the things I like is she got it from their official partner so it would have cost a bit but they use another medal so I've got my original if I decide to do something if I get all 6 majors.
    Steve-Finising 21 at that pace feeling strong is amazing,it's along way out but looking good from here.
    Shades-Yes I definitely took it too easy at the start,I was conscious of it but think I was wary how I would react after my 4 highest weeks ever and happier finishing strong than weak.
    Big G-Always a big decision the pace you go at,at least you're not chasing a time as such so can tweak it as needed.
    Usual 8 miles or so after work,off to Gran Canaria for a few days on Wednesfay so hoping to get some nice warm miles in.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - if you're not 100% today delay your training until you are OK, that means after a stomach bug that your weight is back to normal.    

Of course you can ask anything you like.   Don't be apprehensive about the training, don't look ahead on the training plan just take each week as it comes and you'll be fine.

Big G - I haven't looked at the house prices at Topsham but I would guess they are probably double the usual prices round here.
    No, I don't know that runner Tocknell, which club does he run for?

Ian - you lucky thing off to some nice warm weather training.  Of course a shame that they no longer have the marathon.

6 miles today, cold and very frost again, but marginally warmer at -2. :'(    Had a good run, icy in places but for the most of my run I could run freely.   I did wear 2 pairs of gloves today and that was better as yesterday my hands were starting to get cold by the end of my run.

Pilates this morning and then gym.   Today I'll be doing the first session of my new lower body programme focussing on glutes so I expect I'll be aching tomorrow.
  • Thanks for the support everyone.

I was feeling fine this morning at 6am, so out I went and officially started my training plan!

5 miles, probably done too quickly but I was trying to follow the advice and I felt good and strong so just kept going, I believe (outside a couple of hills) I could have had a conversation, and I never looked at my watch until the end so didn't know for sure what pace I was doing.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes I'm looking forward to it,trying to find a race abroad for next January but not that many around,thought the warmer countries may have had some.
    Cozy-Good start,no matter what try and keep the pace to conversational most of the time,you really get the benefit.I occasionally look around,make sure no one is around and have a little sing,if it sounds ok then I'm at about the right pace.
  • I was out there on my own this morning, never passed another soul! So singing it is :D
  • Well done, Cozy. I waited until nearly 10 to go out to let the frost melt. Got a decent 8 miler in - legs felt heavy but pace was OK (average 10:18, so standard easy rather than uber slow, as I tend to do when it's dark). This will be an easier week as I have Farnham on Sunday.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - glad you're well again and officially marathon training.  :)    Well done trying to keep the pace down, you should be aiming to be able to hold a conversation (or sing) on the hills too as you want equal effort when you're doing an easy run.

Ian - if you're happy to spend that much money Dubai marathon is supposed to be good, very fast course.

Cal - you'd have a long wait here for the frost to melt.   I've just walked home from the gym and just as icy as when I walked there earlier.   Saw an elderly lady take a fall outside Asda, but she was OK.

Tonight is not going to be so cold and it will all thaw tomorrow, can't wait to have a run ice free.

Pilates was brilliant but the instructor caught me unawares trying to pull me up into a proper shoulder stand, I tried my best :'(    Then I did my new programme for lower body in the gym which was really good but my glutes are really tired now, still need a bit of improvement in technique on a couple of the exercises but really enjoyed it.  By the time I got to the last exercise I my glutes were exhausted. 
  • thank you, well done on your 8 miles!

I think we have the rare event that Scotland (at least where I am) is a pretty pleasant temperature at the moment.

Was a bit rainy this morning, but I don't mind that too much.
  • Big G, regards to zwift different strokes for different folks, I'm not sure why people want to do virtual runs but others feel the need for the extrinsic reward of a medal for something that should be intrinsically rewarded.  Elle wanted wine the other night so I went out for a bottle and ran back with it. 

Shades, Hope you got your paperwork sorted! I've got a backlog of uni work to be getting on with, but with a mix of getting the house sorted and the kittens (also lack of motivation) has meant I've not went back to it since early December.

Cal, I was at gunpowder late November and was very wet.  If you can get there on a dry day it can be quite fast.

Ian, love the New York frame, never got round to doing anything like it.  I was considering getting something done in 2018 (good old days when I was running) with Manchester and NDW50, was waiting to see if I could beat my 10 year half pb but was a minute off so the gloss taken off.  Enjoy some winter sun!!!

Cozy, you mention no one about you on a morning run, apparently maintaining being able to sing is a good way to keep your pace down on long runs.

Hope everyone is well and fit!

Last Tuesday went for a spin class and felt good, I was sent for an ultrasound by my doc not sure when or why for my stomach, have used it as an excuse to book an apt with the docs as got a few questions.

7 months since my fall I returned to panshanger, managed not only stay on my feet for the run but felt stronger and managed to keep a conversation (albeit a bit strained) <29 mins despite losing a minute in the 1st mile due to congestion.

Also managed 4.6 miles yesterday and felt okay after.  As mentioned have a few questions for the doc, seem to get an indigestion pain when I run and my knee swells a bit but I think it's natural. Also have a few questions about the blood clot as the leg is still a lil swollen.

I've managed to get my head round eating better and following slimming world loosely.  Managed to lose 6lb this week, still have over 2 stone I'd like to lose but will settle for pre pf injury weight |(about 1.5 stone)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, he runs for Torbay Tri I believe (he ran the Haytor Heller in their colours a couple of years ago, anyway), but he's not a triathlete as far as I know.  I think he prefers off-road stuff.

Robert, yeah, I don't get those "virtual medals" either - apparently they're really popular though!

Ian, I'll let you know what I think about Marrakech for a January warmer race :)  

No running here, but I went out for a planned longer walk of 14.5 miles this morning.  Cold, but nice walking conditions and lovely views too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I looked at Marrakech but it doesn't seem too warm and we combine it with a winter holiday so will prefer somewhere beachy,Dubai looks interesting though,never done a Friday race either.
    Rob-Great to see you still improving,ling may it continue.
    Cal-Is farnham a half? What time are you looking at?
    Cozy-Guess you're used to bad weather in Scotland,same here in northern england but you have it worse.
    9 miles after work,took it nice and easy and enjoyed it,off work for a week which is always nice.
  • Ian - yes - sub-1:55 would be good, PB would be excellent (somewhere below 1:53) but not sure I have it in me at the moment.

Rob, that's good going on the weight loss, and also great you're under 30 minutes at parkrun now. How's the PF? I'll come and join you at Panshanger when it's a bit less muddy. Had enough of mud to last me a lifetime!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cozy - make the most of the milder weather, I'm sure you'll get enough frost/ice/snow before Spring.

Robert - that overdue paperwork was becoming a looming task, but once I actually settled down to do it, it didn't take too long.  I am treasurer for a local marathon, was intended to be a one off but it was so successful we did three years but it's finished now.  So needed to finalise the accounts, need to pay the final balance to a local charity and close the bank account and I'm done.

Well done on the speedier running and the slimmer you, that's a significant weight loss.

Big G - I'll keep that runner in mind, although I don't take as much interest in off road events, so that's maybe why I didn't recognise the name.

That's a long walk.

Ian - Friday is their day off.  UAE is a Muslim country.   Sunday there is a normal working day.   I used to do the accounts for our Dubai office in my last job so I had to remember to do everything by Thursday!

Woke early today, really hungry, that sometimes happens on this diet.  So have just scoffed breakfast.   Not sure how I'm going to manage Circuits I have really sore legs after the gym yesterday.  My legs were hurting just lying in bed.  Glutes/quads/hamstrings/calves they all hurt and I didn't do that many sets or reps.   But I did ask for effective glute exercises and that's what I got!
  • What was the exercise, Shades?

Early 12 miles today. Not as cold out - a bit misty which was more like a very fine drizzle, but the main thing, no frost. Early miles were slow but I sped up the minute it started to get light. It didn't feel faster, it just was.
    I mostly ran on streets and avoided the one path on the common that is always full of little trip dogs, but then nearly tripped over a fox that darted out of a driveway while chasing another fox. I think I startled him as much as he startled me.
  • Shades - agreed on the weather, feb/march can be quite brutal and I'm not entirely sure how I'll train if the pavements are un walkable, but I'll find a way!

6.3ish miles this morning at 5:40am, hopefully I get used to it, feels very early at the moment although the actual 2 runs have been fine.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-You may well surprise yourself as you have done some great miles recently.
    7 miles before we leave today,nice and steady but the hills felt a little harder than usual.
    OH did her latest 20 at the weekend,then went and done 8 the day after,she is doing way better than when I started,I think she should be looking at sub 4 but she wary about going that fast,but everything is pointing towards around 3:50-4
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - if conditions are good and you feel up for it on the day, I don't see why you won't be able to do a PB, you recently did a 10k PB and you've done plenty of long runs.

Re glute exercises, I've got several to do now.   I'm still mastering the technique for the hip thrusters but I think the most effective are the sumo deadlifts, single leg squats - which I do on the Smiths machine with a 20kg bar.   I suspect the most powerful is the plate drag which I do from a reverse bridge position putting the heel of my foot in the plate and sliding it forward and back again, that's a real killer.

Cozy - we all have the same issue with the weather but hopefully any loss of training will be minimal.

Ian - your OH really has taken well to marathon training.   Has she got a half marathon to run pre Barcelona?

Circuits was good, we do a different format every week, I don't know how our instructor thinks up all these variations.   I didn't ache too much as when I'm moving my glutes etc aren't too bad, worse when I'm sitting and my bum was aching while I was driving too.   Did upper body session in the gym afterwards.   No running today, it's my usual rest day but I think my glutes are too sore to run anyway.
  • Ian - Sounds like your OH is doing really well with training.
    Shades - Sounds like you have had it really cold!
    Big G - Nice walk there!
    Cal - Nice miles, you might surprise yourself with a PB on the day.
    11 with 6 at LT for me on Tuesday, was frosty out and not the best running conditions as couldn't get much grip at times, but cracked out 6:26/6:41/6:59 (was tempted to bin it off at this point), then decided to run in the road rather than the pavement, as hardly any traffic for 6:30/6:33/6:38.
    6 mile recovery today with kettlebell workout. 4 miles planned for this evening.
    The OH has fractured her arm in a trip while out on a run too! So that's not good news!
  • Oh no, Steve! I hope she recovers quickly.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes she is doing Aintree with me a week on Saturday.She took to it amazingly well,not missed a single run and some weeks added an extra one in.
    Steve-That's terrible news for her,hope she is as ok as she can be.
  • Big G, I wish I enjoyed walking would defo help getting back to fitness, struggle mentally as want to run,

Ian, enjoy your week off, seems like a lifetime since I had most of xmas off. Seems your OH is going well with her running. 

Cal, panshanger was quite dry, Westmill on the other hand has rivers running through it lol.  The pf isn;t causing any bother at the moment, however the distances and speeds are low so will see as I gradually increase the load (hopefully losing weight will lessen the load.

Shades, well done on getting the paperwork done, Similar when I start something I get it done, procrastinating seems to be a favourite past time of mine.  Hope the glutes calm down.

Steve, bad news for your wife, hope she mends okay, Personal experience I don't recommend falling over when running.

Cozy, the weather is always a gamble, very lucky in Hertfordshire we seem to miss all the bad weather

Went to the gym last night wanted to do some core exercises full of kids so turned around and left, will have to try again tomorrow.  4 mile run this morning, it still feels a chore and not enjoying it much but I feel better for being out and know it can only get better.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to about your OH, Steve.  Hopefully she'll heal quickly.

Shades, sounds like your trainer has given you what you asked for in terms of the exercises!  You're going to be powering up those hills at DD.

Ian, great news for your OH.  Sounds like her training is going really well.

Cal, good run from you there.  You're really getting the miles in at the minute, and I agree with the others that you may surprise yourself at the event.

Cozy, well done for the early starts.  Good news too that you're enjoying it when you're out there.

Robert, I haven't gym member for a few years now, but when I was a regular there was a day/time when the kids from a local school was there.  I learned to avoid that time!

I went and did 10-miles this morning.  I saw a couple of the ladies that often do the Plym Trail events and are good runners.  No ice at all today, which was good, but I did find it a bit of a struggle - I seem to have lost that spring in my step that I had the other week. I expect that's the last run now before the marathon on Sunday.  

I'm hoping to do the 100MC AGM Marathon in February.  It's a Phoenix event and I've not done one of theirs before (Iain has done I few I think), but it was discounted for 100MC members and associate members so I thought I'd make the journey.  It's a handicap event and Rik has asked for the times of our 3 most recent road events.  My times are all over the place, so shows how inconsistent I was at the back end of last year, but in fairness I was injured.  Not sure what time he'll give me though, but the average of this lot is 3:57 - Sofia Marathon 3:55:28, Chelmsford Marathon 3:29:33, Cornish Marathon 4:25:50.  I did two other sub-4s which if used would have given me a slightly slower average overall (4:03), but they were trail events and he specifically asked for road events.