Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - good for you still doing your reps on slippery roads.   I run in the gutter too as safer when icy and early mornings I can run on traffic free roads.

That's bad news about your OH.   Hope she's OK and not in too much discomfort.   I suppose you'll now be on full household duties too, can you cook?

Ian - that's good.   She can then decide after that what pace she wants to run her marathon.
    She really has been so disciplined at the training, most impressive.

Robert - stick with the morning runs, it really is an awful time of year for training, dark/wet/cold.  I see that you have an event on the 1st March, it's on my list so keep thinking of that.

Bad luck with the gym too, busy time of year at gyms.   When I go to the gym on Thursday after Pilates the bloody kids come in from the local school, they're the GCSE group and there's about 30 of them and they're a bloody nuisance, like a plague of locusts.   Last week I couldn't get on the machine I wanted so I went up to the brat using the machine, he was on his own and I intimidated him until he said hastily 'I've finished' and he ran off and I could get my last exercise done.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - xpost

I'd like to think I'll be powering up those DD hills but I'll be happy just to make the cut offs.    I have been really lucky with my instructor, he is so knowledgeable and helpful.

With your times for the handicapping you've a decent chance of winning the 100MC AGM marathon.   Years ago they used to do a much wider handicap, I think we had to give our last 8 marathons and the fastest and slowest were discounted but you couldn't leave out results that you might not want.   I don't suppose they do that now.

Don't worry about today's run, you did walk 14+ miles yesterday and that could well have depleted your energy levels.
  • What is the general aim of the competitive run within the training plan?

I guess my question is, what am I looking to get out of it as oppose to my usual training run?

Do I go for my half PB? or do I go at my perceived marathon pace? or something else completely?

I've signed up for a half, and I'm feeling pretty good, I reckon I could get my PB but not sure I should be going for it.
  • Cozy, a competitive run gives you an idea where you are in prep for a marathon, everyone is different but I like to put a half marathon about 5-6 weeks away from a marathon and go full out to achieve my best time.  Some to do a half 2 weeks before to get the experience of a race and also to practice race pace but shouldn't race to full effort too close to your A race.

Shades/ Big G, my shifts at work don't finish at 4.30pm (earliest I can) very often, so not usually a problem.  yet to enter Cambridge Boundary run but it's on the mind and have only a few weeks till entries close.  The leg is feeling stronger and health concerns are lessening the more I run. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - exactly as Robert has already said.   Plus a race is a true assessment of how your training is going and also can be used to calculate your training paces as well as your forthcoming marathon pace.

Races are also the best speed training you can get and also the more race experience pre marathon the better.  Races are also social and a pleasant relief from long runs.

Robert - You've had a nightmare few months, so it will take time to restore your fitness and confidence too.   Hopefully you'll feel ready to do that race entry soon.
  • Excellent, I'm very competitive (even with myself) so now that you've given me permission, as long as everything goes to plan I'll go for it!

I feel my competitiveness sometimes outweighs my fitness levels! The target is to get both to match come May!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m not entirely sure how that handicap race is going to work as people don’t *have* to be part of it. IE, they can just start at 8am if they want, so I don’t know how many will be in the handicap event. I’m pretty sure Steve Edwards is using it as his 900th marathon and he’s giving out freebies from his sponsors. I’ve said it before but I find it difficult to ‘race’ those lapped events so I’ll just see how I am on the day. I need to get around Marrakech first and then see how I am though...based on last year, I’m really trying not to look too far ahead.

Cozy, I’m not sure what it is about a race but I think most/all runners can get more out of themselves in a race compared with a training run.

Early start for us but very much looking forward to the weekend :) Shades, the book we have talks about snails so I may give them a try. :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - being competitive with ourselves is what drives us on to try and do better so that's a great attitude to have.   That competive attitude will probably get your through any tough parts of your marathon and any other races, it might just need to be curtailed in the early stages to stop yourself going off too fast.    Getting the pacing right in a race is probably one of the trickiest elements of distance running.

Big G - Well Steve will be looking for sub 3:30 and he runs an evenly paced race so if you feel up for it you could stalk him to try and get you to ignore the fact that it's a multi lap race.   Steve is a lovely guy.

Have a lovely time in Marrakech.   I expect the snails are high protein and very nutritious. ;)   All the talk of Moroccan food made me dig out a tagine recipe, I love the blend of spices they use, going to cook it over the weekend.

Well I'm still suffering from DOMS, my glutes, quads and hamstrings have eased a little but my calves are worse as we did loads of step ups in circuits yesterday.   So instead of an ILTHR run today I've settled for a much shorter easy run, I can run OK but my butt feels like it's had a good kicking :'(    So I've had to cancel Pilates today and also the gym.   Did upper body in the gym yesterday so I still have tired muscles from that so no point in trying to do another session.   Hoping to do ILTHR tomorrow or Saturday and another glute session in the gym on Saturday.

No ice today :D
  • Shades - Yes I can cook, and usually like to pull my weight and help out around the kitchen, but with my increased mileage she has been spoiling me and doing most of the cooking.
    Big G - Good luck in Marrakech. That Steve is a machine!!
    Cozy - Always easier to run fast in a race IMO compared to training.
    14 miler today, really foggy, so couldn't see much further than a foot or so in front of me....anyway got it done.
  • Blimey, Shades, you really wrecked your glutes there!
    Well done, Steve, that doesn't sound too pleasant.
    Big G - one of my clubmates is doing Queen Elizabeth parkrun the week after next and has space in his car. I realise that's the weekend you are down for Bushy but I'd really like to do QE as, being carless myself, I'm not sure how I'd get there otherwise. Would you be awfully disappointed if I wasn't at Bushy?

Easy 6 today with some strides in the final mile. Felt OK.
  • Shades - I recall a few years ago I ran a 10k with bad bad Doms, thinking it could run them off ..... I couldn't, it was horrific, and also the only time I've ever walked during a race.

5 Miles this morning, looking forward to a lie in tomorrow, although with a young baby that may not happen!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Very easy 6 with OH today,hard to pick a pace as I usually run over a minute/mile quicker than her at our easy paces,but I went closer to hers,felt really nice and my heart rate was so low,but enjoyable to run with her on holiday,will get a few extra miles in myself at some point.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, no problem about that parkrun. Enjoy!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Steve - that's good news that you can cook. :) 

Cal - well I got what I asked for - effective glute exercises :'( 

Cozy - you'll find out on here that I'm always nagging folk to do recovery runs which is the most effective way of avoiding/lessening DOMS.   I rarely get DOMS except after DD (Dartmoor Discovery) which is a local hilly ultra that trashes my legs for days.   DOMS is really painful and uncomfortable.
    I don't think I could run a 10k race with DOMS, that must have hurt.

Hope you got a lie in today.

Ian - hope you're enjoying your warm weather training, how warm is it there?

Isn't that your football team that I hear this morning have pulled off a significant win?

8 miles this morning, DOMS now a faint twinge except in my calves but that is very little now so it was good to have a comfortable run.   Didn't do my ILTHR, will do that tomorrow when my calves should be twinge free.   Nice morning, chilly but good running conditions.   I waited until it got light to go out, so for the first and last mile I had to endure the heavy traffic but the rest of my route was traffic free.  An excitable spaniel cross jumped up on me 4 times with muddy paws and covered me with mud, he had sharp claws too but my thermals stopped any scratches and the mud will wash off. :)  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Yes they did,playing manchester united now on sunday,with the tv and full fare money it's worth about 20% of our annual budget so a lot of extra money.
    It's about 21° so nice running weather,lots of people here have come out the same as us,as already booked flights and hotels,hoping to get a longer run in this afternoon .
  • Shades - glad the legs are feeling better!

My youngest not feeling so good so not the great sleep I had planned, but still no 5.30am alarm so that was nice.

My garmin is telling me my training is unproductive, I'm not too fussed about it just curious as to how it comes to these decisions.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's good for your club, hope they do well on Sunday.  

Perfect temperature there for running and a winter holiday.

Cozy - hope the little one is OK.

Ignore your Garmin, I despair sometimes at the stupidity of whoever approved some of the software for these devices.   Mine keeps awarding me badges, does it think I'm still in primary school :#
  • I like the badges... :D But yeah, don't take any notice of that, Cozy - someone on Facebook got a 5 minute HM PB and her Garmin said it was unproductive - what a lot of crap!
    No run today but I did walk several miles. The clubmate who is driving me to Farnborough on Sunday lives a couple of miles away in Earlsfield, so I figured I'd walk over there today to see how long it would take, since the Sunday trains are crap at that time of the morning. Just as well I did as I took the wrong road in Earlsfield and ended up almost in Wandsworth, so had to backtrack until I located her road. Anyway, it was a six and a half mile round trip, what with the wrong turn. Once I'd had a sit down and a coffee I then went to the gym and did a few bits and bobs, mostly back and shoulders but a bit of hams, glutes and abs.
  • Thanks Shades, Cal! It's a bit daft really that a bit of technology can make you feel a wee bit rubbish after doing 6 miles at 5.40am!

I used to live on Putney Bridge Road and drink in a wee pub on Wandsworth road Cal, a nice memory for me there although it was at your getting lost expense! Glad you found your way back :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-I have a polar watch and it says similar stupid things,jumps from unproductive to overtraining in the space of 2 runs so I ignore it.
    Nice 8 miles with OH,daughter and her boyfriend,we took it steady,nice to see my heart rate was way lower than anyone elses,so I made sure they realised it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Arrived here in Marrakech yesterday and loving it so far. The main area around the souks is bonkers in terms of the assault on the senses - very busy, lots of stuff being sold, food, colours, people everywhere. I’d heard some people say they were put off by the hassle from people trying to sell stuff but I’m not finding it too bad. If you politely but firmly say ‘no’, they tend to leave you alone.

Anyway, that was yesterday, then today we took a trip up to Atlas Mountains, a couple of hours outside Marrakech. We did an organised tour and there were 4 others in our party (2 Irish and 2 German) and we had a great time. Camel ride, lovely food and approx 4.5 mile walk in the mountains and waterfalls - it felt very unusual to be walking in light snow in Africa, in the sun.

No running at all sadly, but I went and got my number today. To be honest it all felt a bit chaotic and disorganised but I got what I needed. I usually wear a M T-shirt but was told to get a L, but it’s waaay too small/tight. I may go back to get an XL (their largest) but I’m not sure even that will fit. Still, looking forward to Sunday - I’ve got my bearings and know where I need to be and when :)

A few pics...

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - just as well you did that recce to get to your clubmate's house in prep for Sunday.   Good that you're getting a lift as you had some doubt about the trains on a Sunday morning.

Cozy - my Garmin doesn't say I'm unproductive, that might be more to do with the model I have rather than anything else.  It doesn't make any comments, if it did I probably would complain to Garmin ;) 

Ian - good for you on the low heart rate.   Family running now :) 

Big G - lovely pics.  The photos and your description of Marrakech is what I imagined it would be, I spent a couple of days in Tangier as a child and still remember that, the noise especially and the beggars.

Ha ha at the t-shirt, aren't young Moroccan men of very slight/slender build?   XL for you is ridiculous though.

Good luck at the marathon tomorrow, sounds like it could be interesting.

No running or gym for me today as I think I'm coming down with a cold.   My RHR was up a bit yesterday and I didn't feel brilliant and this morning my RHR is up 10 bpm and I have that throaty feeling, so there's definitely something not right.  Never mind, all part of the usual winter stuff.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, in the place we’re staying in (called a Riad) the owner gave us a few rules about the souks. He basically said if you want to buy anything do not buy in the first, second, third or fourth shop/souk. Take their tea if offered, but do not buy. If there’s something you want, start negotiating at 20% of the asking price at the 5th shop and if you’re not happy, walk out. He actually said be prepared to lie (‘I’ve not got my credit card’, ‘I need to make a phone call’, whatever) to get out if you need.  But if a deal is done, it’s extremely bad manners to then refuse it. It’s hard to explain though; it’s totally manic here, but it’s actually quite relaxing and very interesting just walking around. Very cheap too - 2xteas and 1 cake on the stalls for about £1.20.  Just off the main square there are very popular food bars selling all manner of meat/offal in very nice bread, freshly cooked for about £1.00 each. I feel safe here as well; the Riad owner said there are police all over and as tourism is very important here, and no one wants any trouble.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that must make shopping quite a challenging and tiring task, hard for us Brits not used to haggling/bargaining.   Don't suppose you can find some running shoes at a souk ;)

Yes, I've heard the street food is great value.

How many runners do they get in the marathon?
  • Super photos, Big G - reminds me of my holiday in Tunisia when I was 10. My parents did a lot of haggling.

I had thought I'd have another crack at Gunpowder parkrun today, but then someone mentioned Luton Wardown was having a Burnes-themed parkrun with lots of tartan and me, being the owner of some tasteful tartan strides, couldn't resist. It was a good decision as it wasn't too hard to get to (tube then train, then a 10 minute walk) and the park was nice, the people friendly. Lots of tartan and a funny run briefing from the Scottish RD who used lots of scots slang while someone held up translations on cards.
    The course was three and a half laps, mostly tarmac with one short incline on dirt (I think it was grass at one point, but not any more...) that fortunately wasn't muddy. My legs felt OK and I managed an OK, if not spectacular time of 25:40. I tend to think of anything under 25 as great and anything under 26 as decent (above that, there better be hills or mud or I'd be disappointed with it). I was in the top 25% and first in my age cat, after a fraught battle with a young girl who kept sprinting past me. I got her on the final climb up the hill, when, like a lot of kids, her erratic pacing ended with her running out of puff.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I’m not sure how many are in the marathon. I read somewhere that there are 5000 across both the half and full events. I couldn’t see an entry list on the site when I last looked. Yeah, I’m never XL and you’re right that Moroccan men tend to be small. I went and got an XL shirt and it’s ok, but as I say I’m normally a M so sizing is very different here!

Cal, I went to Tunis a few years ago and the market there was very similar to Marrakech.

Another full day today and I’m quite tired. Hopefully I’ll sleep well and have a good tomorrow :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good luck for tomorrow.
    Shades-They have actually been running all her than me,but usually it's just once a week or so.
    Had 2 runs today,first was 5 trail miles,got lost a couple of times,hit a military zone so had to turn around,climbed a massive hill and seen someone living in a cave,very interesting,then did 6 with OH so a nice day overall.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - doubles on holiday is good as you can rest/recover as much as you need.

Big G - that's a reasonable size of race.  Hope you have a good race today.

Cal - good luck at Farnborough today and anyone else racing.

Well I don't know what happened to my sore throat and head cold symptoms, I've woken up today feeling fine and RHR back into normal range.  So just waiting for it to get light and get out for my run.  Must have been runner's hypochondria  ;)

Will hit the gym later too.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    8 miles done.   Didn't have a brilliant run, lacking in energy, that might be because I was under the weather yesterday.   But felt good to be out in the fresh air, on quiet roads and a bit milder today too. :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    A very quick update, but I finished in just under 3:41 (watch time). Happy enough with my time :) I’m off out for food now but I’ll update more fully later.