Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-Great admiration for anyone doing marathon training with young kids,hard enough when mine are old to fit it all in.
    Rob-Good to see you back on the recovery,hope it continues to improve.
    Big G-As others said if it's in the rules then it counts.
    Back to the wind and rain today,very gusty in places played havoc with the pace,but kept the effort the same throughout and nearly balanced as it was behind me up the big hills.
  • Options

Another list I use for marathons is https://www.apex-sports.co.uk/document/item-64-2019-20-uk-&-ireland-marathon-listing they have an ultra list and overseas list as well. 

Big G looking at the LDWA site under 'recommended equipment' you need to have a touch....

Ian, well done on the bad weather running, glad down here it was just cold.

Shades I've entered Cambridge Boundary Run on 1st March, Confident I can get to half marathon distance, will review if I can do the other half.

Got a doctors apt today to talk about results from unexpected ultra scan. 

• Options
    Hi Poppy. Yes, I turned the move notification off after it was prompting me to move while I was sat on the sofa after a marathon. Little bugger.
    Robert, that sounds very encouraging!
  • Options

Shades - I don't mind it, I would prefer 2 hours before running to get some food and water in but the reality is that it just doesn't work for me!

I've always preferred morning runs where I can do them, but not 5.40am! It's already becoming my norm I guess.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm not surprised there are complaints about the website listing.

WP - lovely of you to pop in.  Hope you are well and your running too.  Are you doing Great Welsh? I won't be there as it clashes with Taunton marathon which is a 45 minute drive for me so no contest.

Ian - must have felt chilly for you today after your warm weather training.

Robert - the Apex list is my main source of UK races although there are a lot of errors it's definitely the most comprehensive listing available.

That's great news you've entered your March race.

Hope doc has good news for you.

Cal - we have the same Garmin and I've had no messages so must already be disabled on mine.

Cozy - it will get better as the mornings get lighter.   I hope you do have at least water before you run, I have coffee too pre run.
  • Options
    Shades - yes I didn't have to turn it off on the new one but I figured it was because it had kept the settings from the old one when I hooked it up to Connect. You don't use Connect though, do you?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, I do use Connect with this Garmin.  I couldn't find how to get the average heart rate per lap from the watch alone.  Same with elevation, all comes up on Connect.  But because I have Connect on my phone I did switch off all notifications as I didn't want the daft messages, like the badges, coming up on the phone.   Connect is awful on the phone, PC version is really good but don't need to plug into PC as it picks up data via my phone.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-It certainly did feel cold,no danger of sunstroke today.
    NY marathon ballot opens on Thursday,it crossed my mind for a minute but I'm not going back again just yet.Would love to see if OH can get her half to 1:42 then we could do it together.
  • Options
    Aha Shades, I get you. Yes, I don't use a phone for internet stuff, just my PC. It's pretty good on that.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - is that the GFA time for your OH for NYC?   What would she have to do in the marathon to get a GFA time?

Cal - I do use my phone for internet a lot.   MyFitnessPal is good on phone app but the website isn't so good and it's really convenient updating MFP when I'm cooking/preparing food in the kitchen.   It would be unusual for me to have my PC on after lunchtime so anything after that I do on my phone.  I don't shop on my phone though, but I do browse a lot. :)

Circuits was cancelled this morning as we had no instructor.   Had a good session in the gym, lower body, lots of work on my glutes ;)
  • Options

Shades - I do gulp down some water, but time is tight, I basically need to be back in the house for 6.45!

7 miles done this morning at a fairly easy pace, I'm still finding this harder than tempo runs. My legs feel dead doing the runs, but I guess that's the idea? Using different muscles etc

• Options
    Ian - Nice holiday running and monthly mileage. Setting yourself up nicely for the marathon.
    Big G - Great result.
    Cal - Nice HM.
    Cozy - Nice 7 miler.
    Rob - Good to see your continued recovery.
    Did 22 miles on Saturday, similar to the previous weeks long run, started slow and probably finished around MP+10% for the last 3 miles, felt good overall! 6 miles on Sunday to finish off a 63 mile week.
    15 miler on Tuesday morning then 7 with strides this morning on the way to work. 6 miles home later.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cozy - it's really important to be well hydrated.  Why not get up 10 minutes earlier and have some water and a cup of tea or coffee, really helps to have a hot drink and a little caffeine pre run.    I get up at 4:30 but don't usually go out until after 5 a.m.

You need to keep working hard on the slowing down,  it's not a race (yet ;)  and there's nothing to be gained by running too fast.   In fact completely the opposite.

I take it you've escaped the snow and ice.
  • Options

Yea no snow or ice where I am, I think other parts of Scotland are getting hit so I fully expect it at some stage, so far my training plan is all green for every run complete.

I think for the Wednesday longer run I may need to re think it, I'm just not sure the morning will work for it going forward, I'll be up at the same time as you Shades and I'm not sure I can handle that!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shadea-Yes it is GFA,full is 3:38 for her,I think the half times are more generous,mine is 1:28 v 3:05.
    Steve-Another good week for you.
    Cozy-Glad you've avoided the weather for now.

• Options
    Cal: I know the feeling it does not take into account what you have done!!

Shades: That is a shame but do understand about local races as the Great Welsh  is a 30 minute drive I do begrudge the cost for the half, maybe I am more grumpy/tight the older I get :) but as a new route and a friend coming down to watch and no travel costs  no brainer this year.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I'm entering the ballot for NYC.  I'd love to go back to the city (I've been once), and to do the marathon would be great.

Robert, yes, I use that site but I use it mainly to find European races.  I may have to go over to it for UK races at this rate!  Best of luck for your March race.  I haven't checked out the kit list for that hike, but thanks for the heads up.  I've got a head torch (and normal torch) so no issues there.

Regarding the chat about the Garmin notifications, I turned all that off very quickly too.  Very annoying!

10-miles easy pace today.  I think in hindsight (based on my Marrakech time), earlier this month I was running slightly too quickly for these runs so purposefully dropped it back a bit today.  It felt easy and relaxed, which is good after Sunday.  I'm finding myself looking around for a Sunday race (not a marathon, just any race or distance) so it seems I've got my juices flowing again.  I think it was all those shorter races that I did last summer after my shoulder injury (plus the challenging long runs and walks I did on the coast path) which helped get me in reasonable shape for Berlin.  There is Humdinger Half on Sunday which is a great race, but I can't enter it yet - need to check with OH if she has plans first.  If I can do it, it'll be a proper test as it's a hilly one!
  • Options
    That's encouraging, Big G. Yes I think it's good to mix up the distances a bit. I've actually entered the Westminster Mile for the first time - Liverpool has always got in the way of other May races previously but since I'm not doing it this year, I am free to try some new things.

8 miles today - niggles still present but noticeable more when I stop than when I'm running. I'm pretty sure one is the post-tib, but it could be the achilles again. It's not ideal as I'm supposed to do my last 20 on Sunday - if I miss that, I won't have done one since 12th Jan and I'll be starting my taper next week.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I think it helps too.  When I look back over my races last summer, after I was able to run following my shoulder injury, I did quite a lot of local races - flat, hilly, trail, road.   I did 3 or 4 halfs, 10ks, trail races, "other" distances, a club relay race, even a 3k race.  Plus a hilly 21-mile event (it wasn't really a "race") on the coast path.  I didn't perform well at all of them (I was disappointed with one Half in particular), but when I raced a Half in good conditions I did okay at it before Berlin, which was really good timing for me.  Most of my other runs were steady paced so really those races were my speed work :)  Fingers crossed your niggles clear up for Sunday's run.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - a very good week's training from you.  And 15 miles before work is most impressive.   :o

Cozy - you'll have to go to bed at the same time as the children  ;) 

WP - GW is a bit pricey but a good race.  It's a 3 hour drive each way for me and I usually stay over the night before.

Big G - what's the probability of getting a NYC ballot place ?

Yes, it's your base training that would have suffered due to your illness.

Humdinger is full unless you can bag a transfer place.  I'm not doing it this year.

Cal - it seems early to be planning your last 20 on Sunday.   I know it's not really, I suspect the early date of Tokyo must catch a lot of runners out that usually have their first marathon much later in the year.

• Options
    Shades - Full on rock and roll lifestyle, early to bed, early to rise....out the door for double digit runs!!
    Cal - Agree with Shades seems strange that you are going to be tapering soon, but Tokyo is an early one!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Good to hear the mojo is returning, good luck with the ballot,think you find out quite quickly.
    Cal-With you on the taper time,last proper week here then all the pretend injuries will be out.
    Steve-Up at similar time,but mines for work then I usually run after.
    Usual after work run today,1 advantage of doing the same route is I get to know where all the dropped pavements etc are,so it's easier to run in the dark,someone didn't and came a cropper tonight as I was running the other way.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    1SteveMac said:
    Shades - Full on rock and roll lifestyle, early to bed, early to rise....out the door for double digit runs!!
    I now get up in the morning at the time I used to go home from a night out :/ 

Ian - I don't vary my routes too much either in the dark partly for that reason.

6 miles ILTHR run for me today.  Nice running weather, that lovely soft drizzle, bit of a headwind on the way out but mild so not unpleasant.   Legs and glutes a bit achy after the gym but not too bad.

Pilates and gym later :)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I read about the odds for NYC and found this for 2018:  "105,184 hopeful runners applied for the drawing—15,640 were accepted" so that's about a 15% chance in 2018.  How are you finding the ILTHR runs in terms of effort?

I am looking at Warsaw for end of September.  OH has that weekend off and she wants to go, flights are reasonable, there's plenty of accommodation and there's a parkrun on the Saturday so it ticks a lot of boxes and it's looking likely.  In fact, I did try and enter yesterday but there was a problem with the site (it wouldn't let me add a shirt to my order), so I've dropped them an email about that.  It's a long way off but I like to get myself organised :)  I have been to Warsaw but it was years ago and I'd like to go back, plus OH has never been.
  • Options
    Ian - Almost taper for you too! Any ideas on targets?
    Shades -  :D:D yeah same here!
    Big G - I've been to Warsaw with work a couple of times, always liked the city, but didn't get loads of time to explore.
    6 miles after work yesterday and a heavy legged 13 miles today. Think that's about 280 miles in January, my highest ever month.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well 15% is probably better odds than London.   Is there only one ballot or is that overseas only?

I'm finding the ILTHR runs OK, the first one a couple of weeks ago was a shock as I'd been base training only for months.  But my ILTHR runs are at 123-128 bpm so that's 77-80% MHR for me so that shouldn't feel too hard.
    I have decided for the time being not to do any long runs, will be increasing my mileage over the next few weeks but will do that by running doubles.  I have entered a 20 mile race in March and I may not do a long run even before that, I'll see.   I enjoy my training a lot more without the long runs. :D

I've heard great reports about the Polish marathons including Warsaw.   It's good to plan and book a long time ahead, usually much better prices.   Frankfurt is a month later and I've been booked for everything for a few weeks now.

Steve - I'm not surprised you've got heavy legs that's some serious mileage especially as a lot of it is pre work.   Enjoy your rest day tomorrow.

Pilates done, gym done.   :)   
  • Options

So my first morning run missed, my youngest celebrated turning 11 months by doing an all nighter!!

Anyway, as every parent does, I have clubs to taxi to tonight but will be back in the house for 8.30pm at which point I'll make my training plan green! 5 miles at bed time, the opposite bed time to normal.

I looked at NYC ballot out of interest! It's expensive, are all the biggies about that price?

• Options
    Cozy - NYC is one of the most expensive. I think Berlin is about 120 Euros, IIRC.
    Shades - Yeah, rest day tomorrow, plus a cut back week next week, should help the legs. What's the longest run you do at the moment?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, if you can get into London via the ballot or GFA, it's very cheap in comparison to the other Marathon Majors (Berlin, London, NYC, Tokyo, Boston, Chicago).  Less than £50 I think.  For me though, NYC is very high up on my list of races I want to do - it is expensive, but I'd love to do it.  But there are some affordable races out there - I did Sofia last year which was something like €30 with a decent T-Shirt, medal and kit bag included.  Malta was a similar price although last year it was called off the night before the race due to bad weather...  I try not to think too much about what I've spent on race entries, but I know as it's my main hobby most of my spare cash goes on it!

Shades, I know there is a separate entry for USA runners compared to those outside the USA, but I don't actually know if it's separate ballots.