Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I usually a long run,12 and 3 or 4 x 8 mile runs.Think I'll cut the long run down to 14 next week,12 to 8, and do 3x6 miles that will give me 40,then the week after long run down to 10, and 4x6 miles,that will be 34 then it's the week of the race.That should give me time to get stuff done I've been putting off and rest plenty.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    "Time to get stuff done I've been putting off" - no heavy lifting/gardening/DIY, or climbing ladders to clear gutters Ian!!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Oh no,I'm talking clear out my wardrobe of old clothes,take shoes the charity shop etc
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it does make the medical certificates a farce.  And even when the Italians insisted on ECG's as that doesn't signify that there's no heart problems.  Apparently in France doctors readily give certificates as they're used to it and only charge a couple of euro.  Some UK runners get a certificate when they arrive in France and take it to Expo, bit last minute risk for my liking.

Ian - that seems like a good plan for your taper.  Enjoy the decluttering, is this to get rid of your stuff that's too big for you now?

Have been to the gym, another glutes session.   Think I'm improving on technique and don't feel I've trashed my glutes this time.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I went to Budapest one time with a UK friend who flew from there to do Paris Marathon.  He hadn't sorted the certificate in advance, and got it done in Budapest.  He was charged a lot though - I forget how much but over €100 from memory!  The AirBNB place we were staying in was presumably owned by a retired Hungarian doctor, as there was an old-fashioned stamp there.  He was tempted to use that but in the end went and got the certificate in Budapest.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Some is and some is where I've just received so many race shirts and I only use a few for training in so if I haven't used it in the last few months it's going.
    If I ever do a french race I'll just get my daughter to sign it for me,presumably it can be a doctor and doesn't have to be a GP?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, the Annecy certificate says "I, the signing medical doctor" has certified that the runner "Has undergone a medical examination and does not present any indication againt the practise of running competitions".  (I've copied and pasted that, with the spelling mistake, so not sure what use that is from a legal standpoint anyway).  But yes, from that I think any medical doctor is fine, but not sure if different races have different requirements.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think I'd have been tempted to use the stamp in Budapest.

Ian - it doesn't have to be a GP but does require a stamp of surgery/doctor's address/hospital.

As far as I know there is no comeback, it's a requirement for the race insurance, so the race cannot be sued.  We sign a disclaimer for all the races we enter in the UK for the same reason.

I've just chucked a load of race shirts too for the recycling bins as too many to wear and end up wearing the ones I like best again and again.  They're usually very hard wearing too so don't seem to wear out.
  • Options
    Evening folks... hope you are all well and running strong...

Shades - there is a woman that runs the events I run and she takes race shirts and turns them into blankets and cushions which are awesome. 

I entered an event today (random ranscombe challenge) at very short  notice cause I wanted to try get as many miles In my legs as possible before the 100 so the plan was to try run for the whole 8 hr time limit but the weather overnight turned a tough course into an almost impossible course .. I met up with a club mate from my old club and we ran together for 6 laps just chatting and trying really hard to stay on our feet.. the mud was thick and very slippery and only about 10% of the course was runnable the rest was a skating rink..I ended up walking the last lap with two of my current  club mates  and called it a day at marathon distance.. official time was 5:15:37 with 3800ft of elevation.. I don’t think I could of run any further cause the mud had sapped the life out of my legs..

I've booked my next 4 events  which are 16/02 SVN - mods v rockers, 29/02 SVN - Leap year challenge and 1/03 SVN - Olympic challenge, 22/03 Saturn running - Pokerun (Pokemon themed and a fundraising event to help a friend’s attempt at swimming the channel) definitely need to try get as much time on my feet as possible so I should utilise the whole event times for each one..

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Iain - that was a really tough race you had yesterday, must have been exhausting.   
    I've noted your forthcoming events for the list.

If as part of your training for your 100 miler you fancy a 100km race there is a road one, flat, no mud on 16th May.   Part of the Anglo Celtic Plate which is a competition for 50k and 100k but they take other entries to make the event viable.   
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/410836392286271/
    I've done a marathon and a couple of 50k events on that course, I think each lap was 3 or 4 miles.   Entries will open soon.

I've got a couple of friends that have had their race shirts made into blankets, I've seen the photos and they're really impressive.   For me I would have no use of a blanket but I think it's a great way of keeping them.

8 miles for me this morning, I went out later and was rewarded in being able to come back on the back roads as it's getting lighter now in the mornings.   Despite my gym session yesterday my legs felt really fresh, well at least for the first 6 miles.   Nice morning, mild again.

My Garmin has thrown a wobbly, I know I like a hill or two but it tells me I did 1385ft of elevation for 8 miles, should be about 350.   I looked on Garmin Connect and although I haven't altered any settings or done an update the elevation adjustment had been disabled for this run.
  • Options
    Iain - that's a good effort. I hate mud, personally - I get frustrated if conditions don't allow me to run at the pace I want to run at - but unfortunately there's a lot of it about due to the amount of rain we've had for the past few months. Finding a non-muddy parkrun is quite challenging at the moment!

Shades, that looks like an interesting race...I could definitely be tempted by that 50K. But next year, not this.
    That is weird about your Garmin.

I felt rough yesterday so the 20 didn't happen. I couldn't even summon the energy to do my physio exercises, let alone run. I decided to do nothing and try to get it done today instead, and fortunately I felt a bit less crappy when I woke up. I compromised a bit and did 18 instead, as (due to morning traffic making crossing the major roads a no -go - I do not like to stop and wait to cross roads) it would be a pretty boring route around side roads with a fair bit of repetition. I did see a couple of foxes and the cute corgi pup I spotted previously, and once it got light I saw some croci in bloom.
    It was a very slow run but that's fine, it's done and I don't feel awful.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I did wonder if you'd done your last run yesterday as not like you not to post.   Glad you're feeling better today and at least that's your last long one done and dusted.   I hate all that starting and stopping too, really spoils the rhythm of a run.

That 50k/100k will be somewhere else next year, it's the Anglo Celtic Plate so could be Ireland, Scotland or Wales but might still be worth the trip as you won't get many road ultras in this country apart from DD.   Sometimes it's in April, it varies.   Need to keep an eye on the EA website or FB as it tends not to be advertised much.
    If you want something flatter than DD maybe think of travelling to Ireland they have quite a few road ultras and 39.3 miles is a popular distance there and they're not all hilly ;)
  • Options
    Ian - Nice HR v pace improvement there, that does bode well.
    16 miler with 12 at MP on Saturday, MP averaged around 7 min/miles, happy with that, but did feel tough. Recovery 6 on Sunday for another 63 mile week!
  • Options
    Shades - would doing a 100k event 2 weeks out from the 100m be a good idea. Not sure how to train completely let alone taper..

Some of the lovely mud we played in yesterday

• Options
    That's my idea of hell, Iain!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - great training.  Have you any pre marathon races planned?

How's your OH, recovering OK?

Iain - that's that awful clogging mud that sticks like glue.  Bet your shoes and kit were a right mess.

Oh, I thought the ACP was 3 weeks before, maybe too close for comfort.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal Jones said:
    That's my idea of hell, Iain!
    Mine too!
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good last run.
    That's also my idea if hell,I was whinging when I had about 50mtrs of grass in my 5 miler never mind that rubbish.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Looks hideous Iain!

I wasn’t feeling totally myself this morning (a bit lethargic) so thought it would be a rest day today, but by late afternoon I felt ok again so went out for a very gentle 8-miler. I was glad I left it until later as in the end I had an enjoyable run.
  • Options
    Hello everyone, I've entered a 60 mile trail ultra for June and just wondered if anyone had any advice on the length of the longest long run? The plan I'm following calls for a 37 mile long run, which seems excessive, followed by a 5 mile run the day after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
    Alex 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    topolino - ultra training schedules vary, some focussing on back to back long runs and others with longer single runs such as you mention.   If you think that's too far then maybe do 30 and then 18-20 the next day instead.

Or you could find another event to do as part of your training to give you a very long run but with a chance to trial race nutrition, kit etc., say a 40 miler.   

I tend to use marathon events as part of my ultra training, but I'm not training for anything longer than 40 miles now.

6 miles today, bitterly cold wind, made ILTHR run a bit hard in places.  My glutes etc are a bit achy this morning.
    Pilates and gym later. :)

• Options
    Thanks Shades, I think the back to back idea sounds a lot more achievable. Just booked on the dyfi x trail marathon for April to get me in the mood.
  • Options
    Snap Shades - 6 mile recovery this morning - uber uber slow. Legs felt OK after the 18 yesterday, although I did roll my right ankle at the start of the second mile (though, as I've mentioned previously, it's almost impossible for me to do much damage to that one as it's been sprained so often in the past).
    Gym once my breakfast has gone down.
  • Options

12 miler on Saturday (longest I've ever done outside my half), used tailwind for the first time and liked it, but I'll be honest in saying I've not much to compare it to! As my long runs get longer I guess it will be more of a test of anything I'm using.

5 miles this morning, fairly nice running conditions in Scotland today, Saturday was very windy.

• Options
    Cozy - Nice 12 miler.
    Iain - Wow, that must be horrific to clean off!! Not running conditions at all.
    Shades - Have a half in a few weeks and a 10k, but won't taper for them, so I'll see how they go.
    11 miler this morning.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    topolino - it's a lot easier to use events as part of the training, rather than slog out the very long runs.

Cozy - well done on your longest training run.   Tailwind gets very good reviews, stick with what works for you.   Do Edinburgh provide any sports drinks/gels during the marathon?

Steve - good, will be interesting to see how your shorter races go, pre Manchester.

Good Pilates class, some leg work that really made my aching legs hurt even more.   Good session in the gym, upper body.   Gym was nice and quiet, seems the New Year resolution new members don't last more than a couple of weeks now 
  • Options

has anyone found a good way (or any way) to make up a drink while on the run?

As I mentioned above, I am trying out a few things, but if I need to take 4 sachets of tailwind in a marathon I'd rather use the water at the stops than carry it, but I've no idea of the logistics of getting the powder in the bottle!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Cozy - I don't use sports drinks but I think it would be difficult to add the mix to a provided water bottle at a drink station.   Also bear in mind that a lot of races are switching to cups to save on plastic.

Maybe you could make up a small bottle of very high concentrate and then pour that into a water bottle when required.   But again some of the sports bottles have caps that are difficult to remove, especially when running.  

Of course if you chose carefully some smaller marathons offer a bottle service and you can send your own drinks out to the drink station.   Our local ultra Dartmoor Discovery does that and Isle of Man Marathon  does it too, think the Cornish does too.
  • Options
    Hi cozy, I use the high5 electrolyte tabs which are the size of a trebor mint, they can easily be fitted in a running belt and added into the water bottles given out during a marathon. I wrap mine individually in foil. As for calories I use gels.

You could always run with a pack with bottles or a bladder if you'd like to use tailwind.
  • Options

Thanks Topolino.

This is probably the first thing I've tried that I though, I could see myself drinking/eating that for 4 hours (well hopefully about 3:50 :p )

I'll find a solution, I'll maybe invent one! Dragons den here I come!