Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Bad news on the docs,forget the french races then.
    Shades-All to easy to go just a bit fast,started looking at the weather and it looks ok,forecast around 23 in the day but race time only about 10-18,that's for the week before so hope it stays like that.
  • Thanks Shades, will have a look on there.

You're exposing my lack of technical knowledge as I'm not sure of my current model, I've defo had a couple of pairs of Fresh foam Vongo which I loved, but I think they stopped making them!

I agree on fit vs cost importance, I had the most expensive Asics you could get and they gave me terrible knee pain.

• Oh I just assumed he was, my mistake.
    Good luck peeps running on Sunday. London Winter Run doesn't look nearly so much fun in gale force winds, if it even goes ahead. They had mentioned the possiblity of not having a bag drop - no idea how that would even work as a lot of peeps aren't going with anyone they can leave a bag with, and being in central London, it's not like they have cars to leave their stuff in. It's far too cold to be going home with no coat.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - 10-18 would be great conditions and would suit you well.

Cozy - might be hard to find a discontinued shoe especially if you have a popular size.  But try Sports Direct, M&M Direct, Start Fitness and Sportsshoes.  They are probably the best 4 for bargains.
    However, if you don't know what model you're wearing, does that mean you've been using those shoes for a long time?   Important with marathon training that there's enough life left in your shoes to protect you, we don't want you injured.

Cal - he was going to do London but then decided to go back to the track for the Olympics, so put his marathon career on hold.

Hope your 10k isn't spoilt by the weather on Sunday.  No bag drop would be awful at this time of year.  You'd have to think of an innovative plan to make that work.

Llanelli half marathon has already been postponed due to the coming storm, it's really open to the elements there.  Same course as Great Welsh marathon.
  • Shades - on the contrary, I bought these ones fairly recently but very strangely and for the first time my big toes are coming through the mesh top bit! Which is why I need new ones.

I've actually found some on sportshoes that I think will do the job! I may order tonight.

Also looks like Sunday could be a write off so 14 miles may have to be Saturday which means I miss parkrun :(

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - oh no re the shoes.  You can do a repair with some tape and still be able to do some training in them.

Good news re finding some shoes.  Sportsshoes are very good.

No need to ditch your parkrun.  Incorporate it into your long run.  Run to parkrun, then run parkrun but don't race it, then run home adding any extra miles needed to make up to 14 miles.   Then you can have a nice rest on Sunday.
  • Cozy - Agree with shades, easy to do extra miles after parkrun.
    Ian - Sounds like good conditions.
    Big G - Crazy that the flights are cheaper than the train.
    Yesterday was 8m with strides in the morning then 5 miles recovery in the afternoon.
    Today was Vo2 max, 6*800m, reps came out at 2:58/2:59/2:56/2:54/2:57/2:55, so all under my 3:00 target, first time in a while I hit paces on all reps, so happy with that today, felt strong too, which was good.
  • Cozy - Quadzilla is 4 marathons in 4 days

I finished it might have ached a bit ;) It was under 6 hours barely and Hippo finished 5 mins behind. Off downstairs for some food now.
  • Shades/Stevemac - I had thought about it, but I hate the standing about when I'm already in wet stuff, I also don't tend to dress for the weather in terms of I always wear shorts, never anything too heavy on my top half, so if I stop I get cold quite quickly.

Keith - that's not something I can even comprehend having never ran 1 marathon, well done on today and getting it done.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, I very often run before and after parkrun. If I’m early or they’re late starting I just run up and down a 200m stretch. After that, if I’m a few seconds later than the official start I’m not bothered. 

I’ve arrived in Shrewsbury and it wasn’t an awful drive - I guess standard traffic around the M6 at 5pm but it mainly kept moving at least. 

10am start tomorrow so fairly leisurely and I’m staying 15mins away so not too bad. 43.5 laps this one is.  Weather looks ok, but could be cold. Marrakech was around 8:30 pace, but I did some middle miles too quickly for my fitness, so probably I’ll go out around 8:30-8:45 pace, try to be consistent and not go crazy. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Nice paces there.
    Shades-Yes it looks good for the race and 23 after looks good for drinking in the sun.Just read back,were you thinking less cautious than 6:52 pace  :'(
    8 miles after work tonight went well.May have to move my runs around with the weather this weekend as Sunday looks horrific.
  • Hippo updated me on this one changing owner and date as well as distance and time allowed.
    Starts 6am now which is probably a pain in the arse cos the prior one was 9 which allows time to train it over from Edinburgh. Gains 2 miles due to start and finish changes but now finishes by 8 not 9 so perhaps more leeway at end of day.
    Also has added live stalking it appears. Is a bit pricier though. I can't enter until April at earliest as thats when the NFL fixtures for London are out. May clash as its same time of year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - great that you hit those paces.  You must be pleased with your training.

Keith - well done on Day 1.  Have a good one today.

Big G - hope today goes well for you too today.  I remember you quite enjoyed this one last year.

Ian - I don't know what 6:52 pace is.   Put your recent half in a race calculator and run that predicted pace for the first half.  :open_mouth:
    Yes weather looks awful for Sunday.   So glad I didn't enter the Humdinger, a hilly half that I did last year.

Right off for my run now.  Well when I finish my coffee.  :)

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-6:52 is exactly 3hr pace,predictors very from 2:55 to 3:03,one based on mileage aswell as previous times comes in at 3:02.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Interesting range there Ian. I tend to be quite cautious but I think you should give the sub-3 a go, if conditions etc are right. You’ve nothing at all to lose, and your training and consistency has been really good. If you do happen to miss out, at least you know you’ve tried, but from your training and your HR from that recent half I reckon you can do it!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - double your half + 7 minutes is the usual calculation.

I set up a calculation on one of my spreadsheets that calculates using the last 16 weeks mileage/training pace but haven't had a chance yet to compare it to actual results.

10 miles this morning, nasty cold wind again but dry and even sunny for the last couple of miles.

While it was still getting light I was running through a housing estate and I was assaulted by being thumped in the chest. :o   It was 2 blackbirds, I'm only guessing they were blackbirds by the squawking, they were fighting/chasing and flew straight into me.   Gave me such a fright and did hurt a bit, like an over enthusiastic playful punch.   I know they're very territorial.  Hope they weren't injured.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big G-I was edging towards 1:31 and go from there but thinking about having a crack,at the end if the day its only running and if it goes wrong then so be it.My main aim was cljnchjng GFA but now I've done NYC London doesn't seem to have the same pull for me,dont get me wrong I want to do it,but it's not the be all.
    Shades-I think dble +7 is way too tight for most people,mine is usually at best +15,and most people I look at are similar.Hope you dont end up with a bruise after your attack.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - slaughtering that GFA is what I want you to do too.  :)    So that you have the option to run London if you want to.   However as you've done NYC, London is nowhere near the standard of NYC so I expect you might be a bit disappointed.

The +7 is hard ask, but although you may not be able to hold that pace for 26.2 miles you should certainly be able to run the first half at that pace and that gives you the best chance of giving you a significant GFA time.   You've run some brilliant PB's but you're finishing with something still left in the tank so you know there's a bit more to come when the day is right.

Incidentally when we had a Shadies meetup at Chester Marathon a few years ago, Iain Love nailed his first sub 3 marathon that day with a 20 minute PB.   I'm not suggesting you should go for a 20 minute PB :o  but sometimes we have to be brave and trust in your training and go for it.   As recently demonstrated by Cal with her first sub 4 marathon.

Big G - yes, you are Mr Cautious ;) .   However, at the moment, coming back from illness and having to rebuild your base that's what you need to be.

Doesn't look like I'll be able to run at all on Sunday.   Although I live inland we're forecast winds up to 64mph and the storm will be with us for 24 hours :o
  • Keith, that looks interesting - maybe a race for me in a couple of years, eh?
    Ian - good advice from Shades. You've nothing to lose by giving it a try, eh?
    Shades - I've had a couple of fighting birds fall out of a tree in front of me on a run - never hit me though. I guess they are getting all feisty as it's mating time.

7 mile recovery run today. Legs felt kind of floppy and uncoordinated. Happens sometimes, although not sure why when I didn't run yesterday. Pavements were still frosty at 9am, too, so just as well it wasn't supposed to be any faster than that.
  •  Well done Cal, blame the floppy uncoordinated legs on the frost and not yourself! :D
  • Shades / Ian - I do think sometimes that it is a mental barrier sometimes in running a fast time.
    Cal- Hope winter run goes OK.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Steve, it’s definitely partly mental. Do you remember how many goes I had at a sub-4?!  I was capable but for whatever reason just couldn’t do it - too much pressure on myself I think.  Once I got it though, I then found it easy to do.

Darwin Day Marathon today. It was cold, and remained so all race. It’s not usual for me but I wore a long sleeved top all race, and didn’t feel the need to take it off all race. Not sure what the temp rose to but at 9am the car said 1deg, and the course was a bit slippery in some places but more than manageable.

This is 43.5 laps on a cycle track with a few corners, so the watch always measures closer to 27-miles, although it’s an accurately measured course. The main aim was really to try and finish feeling strong, in contrast to Marrakech, so I was hoping for the old faithful negative split.

I went through half way in about 1:55ish, and after that started to overtake a few people and also unlapped myself a couple of times as well, and ended up finishing in 3:42:48 (watch time). Really happy with that actually as it felt easy and controlled. I know it’s a couple of minutes slower than Marrakech, but I’m not bothered about that. No niggles, but shoulders felt stiff across the top afterwards - I used to get this a lot, but not so much recently. Maybe it’s because it was cold?  Don’t know.

Anyway, I finished, had a shower and started the 4hr journey home - stopping at old faithful KFC, in part to write this. It’s all your fault that I have to endure the KFC ;)

Very glad this race wasn’t on Sunday as I’m not sure if I would have attempted the journey up. 

• Great effort Big-G!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Great job, Big G - sounds like you are well on the way back now.

Winter Run is cancelled. I must admit to being relieved - I didn't want to run in that. They are offering refunds, fortunately.
  • Day 2 down in 5:53:59 yesterday was 5:57:27.
    Legs ached less walking today if we ignore the weird ache top left calf which is less present running. Seemed to have half walked it off as it was less bothersome later on albeit general achy legs were back by then for the last lap.
    Wednesday was large fish and chips with peas, yesterday the standard chicken new yorker and as i was hungry today i er had the large all day breakfast. Its ok Foxy has only gone thru 1.5 days worth of food in 2 days so i shall eat more tomorrow.
    Feck knows what Sunday will be like i gather he relocates the tent to down by the underpass but it was breezier today and as i was walking off the calf my hands were cold so i got my gloves back out for the last two laps which might not have been needed as i want back into run walk mode and was doing 13's for most the last 90 mins.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good its cancelled,I found it horrible running in 40mph last week and its down to be worse.
    Big G-Well done,looks a very well paced race,2nd half in 1:45 is great.
    Decided to run after work today instead of sunday,aimed for 14 but stopped after 10 as my Achilles was sore,I've ran through worse over the last few months but no point 2 weeks out.
  • Keith - another great effort in what sounds like rubbish conditions

Ian5 - well done on the 10 miles, no point in risking it I guess!

Hoping the weather doesn't ruin my planned 14 miles! Strangely looking forward to it

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Keith.  Best of luck for tomorrow, and don't eat too much :grin:

Thanks guys, yeah I'm pleased.  I'm feeling much better after this one compared to Marrakech, so that's a good sign, but really I think that's down to how I paced it today, whereas Marrakech I basically went too quickly in the middle and then it was a shuffle home for the last few miles.  My next one is the AGM and it's likely to be muddy, which is not my cuppa tea at all, so what will be will be on that one.  I'm really not trying to look too far ahead, but March is potentially a big month in terms of numbers so if I can get through that I'll be very happy and then will start to think I'm back :)  But especially after last year I don't want to speak too soon - one race at a time, and all that!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-If things go well when is the first race you'll be targeting for a time?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, Manchester at the start of April.  Sub-3:30 at least would be the plan, but I'll see how it goes.  My hoped for triple is 3 weeks before that and then I've currently nothing booked until Manchester.  My triple is a slight step into the unknown but I've done a few doubles and recover okay from them, so hoping it'll the same with a triple.