Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Official result for the list is 3:42:45
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done, seems you had a much more comfortable race this time.

Re your forthcoming triple, recovery won't be much different than for a double, just a bit more tiredness due to depleted glycogen stores. 

Cal - well that's good you'll get a refund for the 10k, especially as you had regretted entering the event.

Lots of races cancelled down here too.

Keith - well that's halfway now.  Is Foxy likely to cancel Sunday's event?

Ian - not good about the achilles.   Have you got yourself some higher drop shoes yet to give that achilles some relief?

Cozy - enjoy your 14 miles today.

Just starting to get light here so time for my run.  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-,I haven't as the Achilles has been fine since xmas,but I'm due some so I'm ordering them today.
    Not quite sure how long this storm is around,bbc app shows 50mph from tonight until tuesday afternoon.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades, hopefully I'll be fine then.  Injury prevention seems to be the main concern.  I do have a double before the triple, but I won't be "racing" any of these.  I did (do?) have a hope of trying to do 3xsub-4s for the triple and that would be the aim, but obviously it'll just depend how it goes.

Yes, I think my pace graphs between Darwin Day and Marrakech tell a story :D  The few troughs in the Darwin Day one are just when I stopped at the aid station.  The troughs in Marrakech are nothing to do with aid stations :D   Also, that hill in Marrakech is very deceiving in that graph....it was only about 650ft-700ft for the whole race.  That graph make it looks quite bad, where I'd say it was basically flat.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - are you still using the ultrasound too?   What shoes have you chosen?

We have a warning re Storm Ciara for 24 hours from midnight tonight, but gusts over 40mph are forecast for 48 hours from about tea time today.  I don't remember seeing 60+mph ever forecast for here as we're inland.   Anything over 50mph is quite scary to be out in.

Big G - I can see from the graph that you were struggling at Marrakech even on the gentle downhill part of the course in the latter stages.

I cut my run short as I have a really sore throat.   My RHR was high this morning (56), I take it on waking but the alarm woke me today and that always puts my RHR up so dismissed the high reading.   I didn't feel my usual enthusiasm for my run today but didn't feel ill, but once I started to run my throat became really dry and sore and I didn't feel great.   Fortunately I was on my hilly run which is a loop of the town first so was able to cut back to home.   So a miserable 2.42 miles for me, quite cold out there, but no wind!   I know I'm not 100% as I'm not hungry either, just had some yogurt and fruit for breakfast.   
    Sofa day for me I think.    I had been planning to go to the gym but will ditch that too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I am,but haven't been using it as much recently,will mkae sure I do over the next 2 weeks as it seemed to work.
    Got 2 pairs,another pair of guide and a pair of Adrenaline,I wore Brooks when I started running so should be fine with them.
    Good idea to cut the run short,hopefully it passes quickly.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - Adrenalines are lovely shoes, I'm sure they'll suit you well.   I was never able to get the same amount of mileage out of them as I can with the Guides but I haven't bought any Adrenalines for about 3 years so the later models may have more miles in them now.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you’re not 100% Shades.

I went and did 6.5 today, including parkrun. It was a steady run there, and a steady start to parkrun, although I put a bit of effort in towards the end. Then a steady run back. Felt pretty good actually, so again all pointing in the right direction.  When I do a recovery run usually it’s only 3-4 miles, but with parkrun today it ended up being a bit longer. I’m doing the run report today, where I’ll talk a bit about last week’s Bushy Pilgrimage. 
  • Rest well, Shades.

Nice running, Big G - which one did you do?

I had my second stab at Gunpowder today (the one that was cancelled due to ice three weeks ago). So tube (with a change), then train, then a 2 mile run to the park, although as I was there early I did an additional mile around the park for three.
    It's hard path there - not the smoothest stuff as it has a gravelly texture, but it's quick enough. Two laps with a slight incline at the start of each lap - it amazed me how many people I overtook on that, it wasn't even a hill. There was a bit of congestion at the start so my first mile was around 8:15, but there was a lot of space after that and miles two and three were both exactly 7:56.6. Consistent eh? I was breathing quite loudly during the last half mile and I did push myself, but still found a little something for the finish, which doesn't often happen. My official time was 25:20, which is somewhat outside my best but still respectable (especially given this has been a 51 mile week since I did my long run on Monday). Good enough for 5th lady and 1st VW50. Rather glad I pushed it towards the end because there were two VW50s three seconds behind me!
    After adopting the bent-over-with-hands-on-knees recovery posture, I got some water and ran the two miles back to the station for a total of 8 miles. Home by 11, which isn't bad considering it's not the most straightforward journey.
    I doubt I will run tomorrow - I don't like 20mph winds let alone 60. Damned storm may keep me indoors for two days. Just hoping my Sky dish will be OK.
  • 6:24:32 today cos my knee is kinda fecked. I'll see if i can move further than the bathroom without dieing in morning but past experience with knee says don't be daft stop moving is the usual answer. I shall attempt to get in and out the bath for a shower shortly then ponder when to go for food.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I just did my local one - Torbay Velopark parkrun.  It's about 1.5 miles from me so nice and easy to get to.  I was tempted by travelling up to Woolacombe this morning but a) it's quite a long drive and b) I did enough driving yesterday!  Well done on your run.

Shades, I'm not seriously looking for this year, so just curious really.  But regarding Connemara Marathon, is it generally speaking advisable to book accommodation early in terms to get decent prices in Galway?  It's on "the list" hence just looking into it.  I take it you fly to Dublin and then get yourself over to Galway on the train, or hire a car, and then use their bus to get you to the start line?
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    X-Post Keith.  Well done for getting it done - that sounded a struggle.  Hopefully you'll be okay tomorrow, but if not as you say may be best to rest it.  Enjoy the burger :D 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - glad you managed to do that parkrun this time.   Some decent mileage for you too, sounds quite tiring.

Looks like we're all going to be affected by the weather.   Here there are lots of trees never mind the potential hazard of being kneecapped by a rogue recycling box or bin if I run in built up areas.

Keith - sorry to hear your knee is really painful today.  If you're not running tomorrow maybe better to drive home now to escape the storm?

Big G - that's a good recovery run from you today.  I take it the legs are fine.

Re Connemara marathon, or maybe even the ultra  ;).  Yes, fly to Dublin.  I don't hire a car anymore as you're not allowed to take it to the race, even your OH would have to use the race bus to support you,  so it sits unused for a day.   Public transport is very good in Ireland so I get the express coach direct from airport, takes 2:30 hours and costs about 30 euro return.
    Galway is expensive for accommodation, it's a really lively city but there are B & B's available as well as the dearer hotels.  I book early so I can get a good hotel that isn't too far to walk to the cathedral for the bus on race day.  They party 24 hours a day in Galway so a very central hotel can be noisy so choose carefully.

I would recommend the ultra.  Marathon runners have up to a 90 minute wait at the start with no shelter, bit like Loch Ness  with the logistics of the buses.
    Whereas the ultra runners are taken to Peacocks hotel so we can prep for the race in the warm, have coffee etc and then we are driven a mile to the start and we only have a 10 minute wait at the start.
  • Shades - Er lol i did think of driving back but that not gonna happen today too tired and tomorrow hell no. It windier back home too btw.I'll stick to the original plan of gone by 7 monday morning which means i am home lunchtime traffic depending.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - that makes sense.  I thought you were driving home after the race tomorrow.

I take it the race is still going ahead tomorrow?
  • I'll need to be doing doubles under 5 each before i ponder driving back post race. Yes its still on tomorrow the feed station will be under the main road as its more sheltererd there however.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - hope today goes well and the wind isn't too bad.  

Had a restless and a bit feverish night but I actually feel better today.   RHR is still raised though so will stay home, no gym.

Heard the wind a few times during the night but it doesn't seem too bad here right now, more squally weather.  Of course with the hills around here I could walk round the corner and it could be blowing a hoolie.   Feels really mild.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Shades, interesting info about Galway. Hadn’t even considered the ultra so would need to think more about that. Thanks for the info though. Yes, legs totally fine, which again is unlike Marrakech where I was tired on the Momday, and especially the afternoon after the race. 

A few images have turned up from that parkrun shoot I did the other week. Every now and then an image I’m in appears at the top of the main parkrun UK page, plus I’m on the parkrun area of the prodirect site. Haven’t seen any video yet though. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-The weather is horrific here,wind and rain pounding against the windows,I am not moving over the doorstep today.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I saw on TV that you were going to get the worst of it.  Just as well you don't have to go out today.

Big G - nice pic of you on the parkrun homepage.  You look a natural in the photos.

Re Conne ultra.  It's a single loop, the first 13.1 miles is the flattest part of the course.   At 13.1 miles you pick up the marathon course and that is undulating, at marathon point you've descended a long hill into Leenane and you then pick up the half marathon course to the finish.   The half marathon course is the hilliest part of the course with two significant hills, the one out of Leenane and the Hell of the West.

Ultra runners are allowed to put some stuff out in drop bags, drinks, food etc., maximum of 3 drop bags.  Marathon runners don't have that service. 

This is the elevation of the ultra, shown on the top of the medal.  It's not as hilly as DD, but like Dartmoor is subject to variable weather.

• Hmm according to weather forecast i'll be wanting to stop for monday dinner and tuesday lunch on way home cos it back up to 60 mph gusts monday for me.
    Here its been blowing away merrily for hours i not peeked out curtain yet to see what it looks like but nominally dry now with heavy rain coming for most the day. I shall stay here in bed though as my knee aches. Pity it wet as i could have gone for a lap of Furzton to loosen off a bit. I could always walk to and from the bar a lot downstair i guess instead ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - sensible decision.  Maybe get yourself downstairs for a big breakfast :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shades.  It's definitely one to think about.  I'm probably not ready/in shape for an ultra at the moment  - I mean, I could get around, but probably I wouldn't enjoy it!  I did see flights (RyanAir....) are only about £60, but the hotels are pricey at the moment.  The race is only a couple of months away though so maybe accommodation has filled up, so I'll keep it in mind for another year.

Regarding those parkrun pics, the chap I'm with is the guy (Tim) trying to do 100 first finishers (can't say "winners" in the parkrun world ;) ).  He was worried he wasn't the right type of person for the shoot, but I'm glad they used him.  He's friendly, welcoming, volunteers a lot, helpful, supportive etc etc - all the things parkrun want to try and encourage.  He just happens to be quick as well, and for him the first finishers thing really drives him on.  I was talking to another parkrunner/Trotter who has two young kids - he told me independently that his kids love Tim as if he's not "racing" he is more than happy to run with them, and it then means the Dad can do a proper effort without the kids.
  • Shades - lol no for the price they charge for a brekkie i'd rather stay here and go down later for lunch and have a big meal then. I have ample food here not to need to leave for food anyway
    Looked out window and it is windier than it sounds cos of angle wind on my side hotel vs being more out in the open. The bushes by my car waggling well shall we say
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big G - I had a quick look at the hotels and the hotel I'm staying at has gone up by €50 for the same 3 nights and all the cheaper B & B's are gone from Booking.com's website so have filled up.   Some of the B & B's are €100 a night now.  My favourite 4 star hotel is too expensive for me this year so I've had to choose another hotel.  Galway is expensive as it's always busy as such a popular place to visit.   The price of the hotels will go up now until race day as the Irish often leave it quite late to book their accommodation.

Re flights, just bear in mind you'll need a lot of kit should the weather be bad so you'll need a flight with generous cabin baggage unless you book a hold bag.   You need warm dry kit as well as your race kit to travel to and from the race, bus takes an hour or so.  So fleeces, waterproof jacket, dry shoes etc.  You need to take whatever you would for a trip to Dartmoor.   We've had warm sunny weather, torrential rain/hail/snow and sometimes all in the same day.  I'm hoping for a warm one this year. B)

The ultra only has a couple of places left anyway.   It's a wonderful event, runners travel from all over the world to run the marathon or ultra, I think I saw on the website that runners from 33 different countries last year.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, what are your thoughts about running around that lake in the strong wind?  Some of the paths are very close to the lake....!

Thanks Shades, lots to consider then.  It does sound a great race.

Looking at the forecast the worst of the weather is coming here a bit later this afternoon.  As it wasn't high tide I went out for a short run along the sea front.  Quite blustery, and not many runners out, but a lot of dog walkers on the beach.  I wouldn't want to run in much worse though, so just kept it to the 4-miles today.  Easy with the tail wind....very hard into the head wind!
  • BG - Depends which way it blowing but yes it is very close in places as in a couple foot path right next to edge. Slopes down to that bit though so even if it was blowing onto lake it might be 'fine' there with it going more over the top. Partly why i not fancy it today its that strong a wind you'd be blown all ways. With a wonky knee having the leg go where you want it to go not were the wind blows it helps
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Keith, yeah, I think I’d be a bit wary on that course today. If it’s blustery sometimes it feels like the wind can blow my legs out from under me which wouldn’t be great on the edge of the lake!
  • Big G, Frankfurt sounds good after reading the reports, shame about the doctors stamp.  

Ian love my adrenalines, been using them for 6 years get a good 500 miles out of them and then good for a gym shoe.

Shades hope you're back feeling yourself soon! I've had a new sore throats recently which hasn't affected me too much thankfully.

Keith well done with the runs, stayed at the furzton when did MK marathon, enjoyed a few beers after at their prices.

Cal I did gunpowder a couple of months ago... hoping that I get to have a fast attempt as think it could have PB potential.

Friday night had WJ quiz night, dragged on too much and club chairman had a few too many drinks by the end and was quite irritating but a few £££ raised for charity.

Woke up saturday shattered (cats kept us awake) but as I was car park marshal and elle was timekeeping got out of bed and decided to run, took it steady and went 30 seconds faster than my last attempt before xmas.

Enjoyed a 6 mile run today with clubmate, had a good moan about club stuff, I quite enjoy not having any responsibility at the club as usually I've found myself involved far too much with other sports clubs I have played for in the past.

19.2 miles for the week, biggest since I fell, all falling into place nicely (pun wasn't intended) Even OH has been out  few times and recorded her biggest distances for a while

• Seems alot of races cancelled today, I was hoping to make my xc debut but was cancelled.