Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big G, Hermes running do Thames Meander, starts at 9.30 on a Saturday and is very close to Kingston parkrun (from memory).  Good to hear your club's open to accepting change. Ware Joggers frustrates me, not open to ideas, people get bullied off the committee, I usually get too involved in clubs I have represented in the past but took the decision not to get too involved.  I don't use the club much so can take or leave it really however I'm considering 2nd claim at another local club when I'm back running properly. 

Shades, each time I see you mention gym or circuits it reminds me to go myself.... still not been for months!

Iain not talking from personal experience but people I've spoke to says about 1 min slower than long slow run pace and put a walk break in every 5-6 miles.

Cozy, I rarely use my club (since joining have been injured) but it's a great outlet for the odd training session.  It also opens up a whole new set of races, cross country, midweek leagues, handicap races and also club championships races.

Ian rest and hydrate well and enjoy the warm weather... I'll be having a crack at xc on Sunday, wet windy and muddy. 

did 3.5 miles at lunch, squeezed them if, felt rubbish but better than nothing.  I have a uni assignment due in next week so trying to balance everything is a bit hectic but had a good week running last week so just need to keep ticking over.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cozy, I have the same dilemma on hills.  But I tackle it the same as Ian in that I just run steady after the hill.  It's surprising to me how quickly I recover from the hill.

Ian, best of luck with the final prep.  Is your wife going with you for this one?

Steve, sorry if I missed it, but how is your OH now?  She took a fall recently didn't she?

Robert, I’ve not done Thames Meander before but I have one pencilled in for later in the year. In my club I think/know that Chair does rub some people up the wrong way, but I'm convinced he (and the rest of the committee) has the best interests of the club at heart.  He's pretty "old school" in some ways in that he is very keen that we support other local races and clubs if we can.  Of course these days there are a lot of companies that do races, but I don't think he'd be keen on having one of those in the Club Champs at the expense of a local club’s race, for example, unless they offered a significant discount.  I think his key things are that we put on decent/affordable races, are all inclusive to any ability, and he very much likes to keep the membership fees low (the club subsidises the membership fees quite a lot, but he doesn’t want cost as a barrier).  And he's very keen on the social side of things!   I suppose those are the key things that he wouldn't really relax his views on, but generally he's pretty flexible and open to whatever is put forward.  I dread to think how much time he spends on the club though - he did say in passing one time that it's probably 4-5hrs most days, and even more time in the run up to the DD, which he is RD. I’ve never really got involved in a club before, but I do quite enjoy it.
  • Big G our chairman doesn't do a bad job but it seems a bit like a boys club.  Our club championship races are awful, most have been 20-60 miles away, some have been companies rather than club races.  Many haven't bothered with them this year which has devalued the championship.  We even had a race that sold out within a couple of hours.  I decided before my fall that I wasn't going to run them. Membership and training fees are low, but having to have 50p or £1 each time you train in annoying as never have cash, and never have change. Financial and time costs of banking change, counting, having someone to manage it all can't be worth it?  The arguments have been made but the 'this is how we always do it' response was too common.   
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you don't have to train with the club, you have enough going on to have a strong presence with the club.  Plus you no longer live nearby.

It's always a tricky and sometimes diplomacy is required re changes as committee members are working for the club for no reimbursement and in their own time.

Cozy - joining a club is a good idea and you don't have to go that often to get the benefits of being a member.   Maybe after you've done your marathon and are not committed to a training schedule it would open up different options for you.  Unless we talk you into entering another marathon though.  ;)

Ian - enjoy meeting up with your friends.  Go easy on the beer, don't want to spoil that training and alcohol this close to your race will affect your ability to cope with the warmer weather when running.

Robert - don't feel guilty when I mention gym etc., I do that partly to keep myself on track.   Remember I'm on a mission and need to keep myself focussed.  The gym instructor that set me on this path does ask me every week how I'm doing so that helps me.  He did compliment me today on my strong core, says it's much improved.

I'm not surprised you've shied away from any involvement with your club politics as it sounds like the 'we've always done it this way' mentality won't change for a while.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy1504 said:

Anyway, 4 miles yesterday and 8 miles this morning! I've still not really worked out my easy pace, I feel very comfortable at the pace I ran at this morning but I have a couple of long steep hills that I'm breathing quite heavy on, I feel the only way to remain at conversation pace would be to pretty much walk.

Cozy - did I work out your training paces for you?  If not let me know your half marathon PB, also your 5k PB and I'll work them out.   Then when you do your half marathon in March if you do a PB, which I expect you to do, we can recalculate paces then.

6 miles today, much milder but very windy on the way out, some rain but quite nice for running.  My legs are trashed after yesterday's gym session, I did work hard and pushed myself and felt every bit of them this morning when running.   Pilates is going to be tough this morning with sore legs.  :'(
  • Wow, we don't have training fees at all, Rob, just membership. And we have something like 1300 members (though a percentage of those are tri and cyclists).
    Our champ races are Surrey League so rather clubby - no medals at most of them too (I am one of those shallow people who likes to get a bit of bling). I've done a few of them but they're not my favourites.

Gym day yesterday, and 8 miles at recovery pace this morning. I am nursing a few niggles which are rather irritating.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, our club HQ is at a really central place in Newton Abbot with parking etc (The Rec).  They host other clubs (running, cricket, football, squash, boxercise, etc) and they charge £32pp a year.  Our club's membership is £24pp a year, so club members are getting good value really, and there are no coaching fees or anything.  We're in good financial health though from our races (even though our races are affordable to enter), and The Rec are in the very early stages of getting a new shower block built (it's not gone to planning yet) and I think we'll put quite a lot of money towards that, to ensure we can then always have access to showers on club nights, whereas currently sometimes we can't if there's a football match on.  It's good having a base like this as there's a bar, food available on Wednesdays, sport on TV, function rooms etc.  They have a board and our Chairman was asked to join that as although we're fairly new there, we are one of the the biggest clubs I think, if not the biggest.  We were at a school for club HQ, but it was always a bit up in the air as we felt they didn't really want us there, so The Rec is far better for us and feels more permanent.

Regarding the Club Champs, it's a balancing act.  I really try and get a good balance of "old favourites" and then maybe throw some races in that we haven't done before.  But we only have 20 races a year in the CC so it's not possible to please everyone really as some like new races, whereas others only want to do old favourites.  Some love off road, others hate it.  But I think we get a good balance and last year was the biggest years in terms of finishers for quite some time.  Again, that was Chair's doing - he saw that the CC was becoming less and less popular and hence less and less competitive, so he thought of ways to increase its popularity (reducing the number of races and categories needed, basically) and it appears to be working.  I think the main thing I changed is putting a marathon in the "Long" category.  For many years there wasn't one, but I asked to put one in and there was no issue at committee.  People don't have to do the marathon if they don't want to, and can still easily complete the CC without it.  But on the other hand, lots of members do marathons so having one in the CC made sense.

Shades, yes, I think diplomacy is needed.  He does listen though but often has to push back on things.  He doesn't necessarily please everyone - for example, RK has recently left as he wasn't getting what he felt he needed from the club.

Anyway, I went to see Ranulph Fiennes last night.  Taking Steve's lead, I had a book that I took and he signed that, and we got a picture too.  It was really good but you get the feeling that he didn't even scratch the surface of some of the things he's done/witnessed.  Some of the planning involved and thinking on his feet in tight situations was good to get a small insight into, and he had a really dry - but funny - way about him.  It was a good night out.
  • Shades - we never did work them out because my sample size is low! But my half marathon pb is 1:49:26 and my parkrun pb is 21:57 which was just at the start of the year!

I done 5 miles this morning and hated every step! First one like that for a couple of weeks.

• Big G - Thanks for asking! OH had a second xray on Monday, it's healing as expected after 4 weeks so no further hospital visits required. Just waiting on physio appointments now so she can work on getting more movement back as still in the sling at the moment.
    15 mile MLR today for me, started slow and picked it up later in the run. Started to rain about 9 miles in and was blowing straight in my face and I couldn't really see where I was going!! Had an e-mail about Wokingham today, course was underwater on Monday and maybe changed at short notice as more rain planned! Glad I've not tapered for this one!
  • Has anyone used maurten gels/drinks? Was considering getting some, but not sure if I've left it too late to experiment now? I've done all my training fasted and last time used an energy type bar and lucozade, so might stick with that.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Cal - well at least you have some grace now to get rid of those niggles before your first marathon of the year.   When is HC?

We don't have any training fees either, we don't have access to any shower or track facilities.   Last year we paid £5 each for our annual subs because we are only asked for the amount of money that we need to cover our costs.

Big G - well RK wasn't a committee member was he?   Didn't he flounce off as he thought he should get more attention/publicity?   I see he runs under 100MC now, maybe he intended to do that all along.

1SteveMac said:
    Has anyone used maurten gels/drinks? Was considering getting some, but not sure if I've left it too late to experiment now? I've done all my training fasted and last time used an energy type bar and lucozade, so might stick with that.

Steve - there's a bloke called Kipchoge that uses Maurten, think he's done OK ;)    It's quite pricey isn't it?  But worth trying if you think you could benefit from it.   
    Is Wokingham a half marathon?   Hope it goes ahead so you can 'test' all that great training.

Good news your OH is healing well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Cozy - I've based your training paces on your half marathon but made them a little faster as your 5 km time is out of sync with your half marathon time.

Easy runs 9:30 to 10:00 min/miles
    Long runs 9:30 to 10:30 min/miles
    Tempo pace 7:50 to 8:10 min/miles

Marathon pace if you're doing MWLR 8:20 min/miles

Sorry you had a bad run today, are you tired?
  • Thanks Shades, I'll convert those into KM! You can tell I'm not a marathon man as I don't have a clue what those convert to!

I was feeling a bit dodgy, shouldn't have gone and defo should've turned back after about 200 meters! I live and learn.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - sorry, I don't do km ;) 

Don't run again until you feel 100% again.   Hope you feel better soon.
  • HC is Sunday, Shades, and yes, Wokingham is a half (a well regarded one that attracts lots of fast peeps).
    I've got some sachets of Maurten drink mix I've not got around to using...not that that helps at all.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cozy-I use KM also,now an expert at converting them in my head,decent rule of thumb is 5km=8m and go from there,little harder to do after 20 miles though.
    Steve-I use the SIS beta fuel in the last couple of days and on race morning to help carb load,the maurten gel is meant to be like jelly so definitely worth practising.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, that’s what happened but on the face of it he seems to have forgotten what the club did do, including numerous mentions in the press/website, a party for his 100th, presentation of his 100MC vest at a club event he didn’t actually run in or offer to marshal at, a nice engraved decanter, a bottle of bubbly when he got married.  But he wasn’t getting what he wanted so he left a couple of months ago. 
  • Shades - Never heard of that guy is he fast  :D Yes it's a half, fingers crossed as we have already got a hotel paid for!
    Yeah, it's not cheap, I really should have looked into it a bit further out, but as I run fasted I haven't thought about it until now!
    Ian - thanks.
  • Hi All. I am running my first marathon at Brighton at the end of April. I have a tune-up half this weekend. Just wondering if it’s the right idea to go for it and attempt a PB or to treat it more as a training run? Not sure what the standard view is on this generally and different views on the web. Thanks!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - a bit of rest and you should be fine for Sunday, is the weather going to be OK?

Ian - you've gone metric!  Cozy needs to convert paces, that's not so easy  ;)

Big G - I struggle to see what he's complaining about.  The club did a lot for him, I remember every week there was a photo of him at a marathon with his medal looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp  ;). It's not as if he was the first Trotter to reach 100.

Steve - yes, he's really promising.

Re price, worth it if it really works for you.

Rcouture - as long as you're injury free then race it and it will give you a good indication of how your training is going.  If you've trained well you should get a PB as those long marathon training runs will make you much stronger in shorter races and give you the ability to hold race pace.  Your time will also give you a good idea of what pace you should run your marathon.  Good luck.
  • Shades - Thanks for that. Have only done one half before about a year ago when i had only been running for a few months and it was a trail (2h) so not sure what pace to aim for here. I’m training to a sub 4 for Brighton (optimistically) and am up to 40miles a week or so and have a 20miler and 4-5 >17 milers done if that helps. I’m thinking if I can manage a 1:50h that would be a decent indication I’m on track without risking injury (I am managing a mild ITB issue)?
  • My only other race indicator is a 45minute 10k in December for what it’s worth
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-I always run in km,but post here in miles as that's what most do,think its because my first target was a 10k and it was easier to work out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Rcouture - a 45 minute 10k through a race calculator predicts a half time of 1.40 ish .  So maybe go out at 1:45 pace and see how you feel at halfway, if ITB is bothering you or pace is too much ease up a little and you should still get a good PB.  
    Let us know how you get on.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian -I don't like km, always seems further, such as 42 km compared to 26 miles  :)
  • Shades - That sounds sensible. It’s apparently a fast course. Thanks a lot and will report back. This is all very helpful as this is all new to me ! 
  • Last question. Would you bother tapering for this? Meant to do a 10k tempo today and an easy run tomorrow before the half on Sunday but wondering whether to bin the run tomorrow for fresher legs. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - no real need to taper as the marathon is your goal race.   But take an extra rest day if you're tired and feel you need it.
    Maybe just run today's run at easy pace so no tempo pace.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    7-miles for me late afternoon, and timed it for the best of the weather as there were showers throughout the morning.  Had a slight twinge in right achilles in the middle of the run so I'll need to keep an eye on that, although by the end of the run it was more-or-less okay again.  When I got home I double checked the mileage in the shoes and they should still have plenty of life left and they feel/look ok so I don’t think it was that, so I'm hoping the twinge is just one of those things.

Going out for a meal with some of the Manchester Trotters this evening :) 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-But when you are halfway you say 21km are done and only 13 miles left so in my head it seems shorter to go.