Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - you won't be the only disappointed runner today.   These things happen and that's why the good performances at races are even more special.  It's not that long ago that you'd have been thrilled with today's time.

You're fortunate that you've got another chance in 3 weeks.

Once you're feeling better you'll put this behind you and move on.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all,I know I'll get over it,probably by tomorrow,just feeling a bit sorry for myself,probably because I came on the own so no one to talk to about it,rung the wife before so a bit better after that.
    Big G-It's even less than that,first time I broke 3:30 was 17 months ago to the day in Hull and I've done it 10 times since now,intact 10 races between 3:07 and 3:29 is quite consistent really.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that is really good stats when you lay it out like that.  I remember you saying how you enjoyed NYC and wasn't racing as such, but still banged out a really decent time.  As you say, really consistent.  Yeah, it can be tough when travelling on your own sometimes if it's not gone to plan.  I was feeling a bit sorry for myself after Rotterdam last year, but I did have OH with me so was able to forget it more quickly.   But you've got time to get yourself fit and then go again.

As a total aside, would you recommend Saville in terms of the organisation, course etc?  I see it's the same major sponsor as Barcelona and also San Sebastian.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes I would reccomend it, it's a very flat course,only remember 1 incline and it was a road that went under a bridge but it was hardly a hill.The city is very nice and usually get good weather this time of year,and it is very reasonably priced,nice spag bol last night on the river front with extra bread and an alcohol free beer for €13 as an example.
    Very easy expo,its a bit out the city but easy enough to get to,and great baggage drop and pick up despite 13500 runners,also love the fact you get a jacket rather than tshirt.
  • Cal - I feel your pain on the conditions. I spent - chunk of mile 2 chasing my race number which went flying for a good 100 yards backwards. All it needed was benny hill music! Was happy with my time (1:45:51) in the end but was greatly helped by running with a friend who is much faster than me and dragged me along. It was really tough and my ITB is playing up so think will take tomorrow off running and ease back into training. Still as my first proper road half marathon, I thought it was brilliant fun. <div>Well done on everyone’s races.</div>
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's a brilliant PB, well done.   I hope now you have faith in your marathon training.

Keep doing your ITB stretches, they really help.   Go for a walk tomorrow to help your legs recover.

4 safety pins for each race number next time  ;)
  • Thanks Shades. To be fair I only had one pin in because there was a massive queue for registration and it was a scramble to get set up! At least I learned you have to give plenty of time for these events. 
  • Great job, Rcouture - that's a fantastic result for a first for your first road half, especially with the wind and the bib adventure! I'm sure you'll be able to get under 1:40 in better conditions and without mishaps.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - yes, it's all a learning curve.   Hope the legs are OK today.

Cal - your legs OK?

7 miles this morning, very windy with light rain/drizzle but nice and mild.   Tough run for me as my legs are very tired, glycogen depleted after the gym yesterday.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, well done your run in tough conditions!
  • Big G - Nice marathon, sounds like a horrific drive though!
    Ian - Unlucky, recover well. To finish in 3:22 having had a bad second half though is a really good result, shows you were in good shape.
    Cal - Good parkrun and HM weekend combo. Tough conditions, but a good result.
    Rcouture - Great PB.
    After not doing marathons last year to focus on getting faster over shorter distances (P&L training plans), which didn't work as I missed both my 10k and HM PB's by a few seconds I wasn't sure what to expect for Wokingham. Training had been going well, but I wasn't tapering and after 66 miles the previous week and a 15m MLR on Thursday, I didn't really know if a PB was on or not, I felt fit but not fast as LT runs had been slower in training than when doing P&L last year.
    Anyway drove down on Saturday evening, so a 2 mile warm up from the hotel to the start before hanging around the baggage tent before dropping my stuff at the latest possible moment! Gathered around the 1:25 pacer at the start, thinking that I'd run with them till about 10 miles and see what I had left.
    We are off, it's busy but first mile too fast, but had settled at the back of the group, however after a couple of miles it was too busy with the group and I couldn't run my natural stride, so pushed my way around the side of the group to go on ahead. First 3 miles in 6:15/6:21/6:10, too fast, hoping it doesn't come back to bite me later!!
    The good thing about Wokey is there are always people to run with as it's got good quality field. So latched on to a few others to knock off a few miles with, feeling good with lots of space 6:28/6:15/6:30. Was running with a guy training for his first marathon, Copenhagen in May, with a PB of 1:26, who looked to be on for a good PB.
    Kept catching other runners, so always had someone different to run with, caught up with another group around 9 miles and lost the Copenhagen marathon guy as I decided to pass the group as I had to keep chopping my stride and he didn't follow! Through 10 miles in 1:03:23 (Strava) 6:21/6:21/6:29/6:14. Right then a 20 minute parkrun to finish for a nice PB!!
    Mile 11 had a few inclines and it was now getting tough 6:40, still running with a few people, but needing to push as 6:40 was too slow! Pushed on through mile 12 at 6:22, trying to work out what my finish time might be, brain not really working, but knew I didn't have long to run, still picking people off, but the last 1km felt really tough coming back towards the park, mile done 6:25, turned the corner into the park, loads of runners ahead, push hard for the sprint finish (these shoes are good!!), crossed the line with gun time under 1:24, so knew I had a PB.....watch said 1:23:26 (which was official result), so a 58 second PB. Chuffed with that, a 1.3 mile cool down back to hotel to shower and checkout and drive home! 16 miles for the day and 58 miles for the week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steve-Great racing and report,58 sec is a great PB,shows the value of marathon training on all distances.Love the report aswell.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great report and PB, Steve. Totally get what you meant by ‘brain not really working’ as doing simple maths is beyond me when racing. Very well done. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - fab report and brilliant PB coming off a good training week with no taper, most impressive.   

Seems to me that was a much stronger run from you this time so bodes well for your marathon later this year.

I take it weather conditions were good and no floods to run through?

• Thanks all.
    Shades - No flooding, just a few puddles. Wind was bad in places, but I did try to shield myself at times! Was tough going over motorway bridges with the sideways wind.
    Yes, felt strong for most of the run, whereas last time out faded badly, benefits of 20 mile long runs I guess!
  • Great job Steve (although I've already said that on the P&D thread...). My brain can go a bit foggy in races too. What's the Wokingham course like? I always end up doing Hampton Court as it's nearer and I like the race, but the fast peeps from my club seem to favour Wokey.

Shades - legs aren't too bad, a bit tight - left glute/ham particularly. However, I do am a bit worried about my foot. It's been achey off and on (mostly around the outside) but I now have a little bruised bump under the arch. I found it yesterday when I went to give myself a massage in the bath after the race. It's quite sore to the touch and a bit achey overall although I can walk on it (I've just been to the gym and did 35 minutes on the elliptical as well as some weights and glute stuff). I don't remember stepping on a rock or anything so not sure what it is. I've emailed my physio for an appointment anyway.
  • Well done on your PB Steve, sounds like you could have done even better given a clean run at it!

Looks like there were a couple of hard races in there, I've no real experience to draw on but all I'd say is that the races I've learned most from are the rubbish ones!

I done 16 miles on Sunday, I had sun, snow, gale force winds but I got it done, even though I wasn't in the mood.

I have a very sore left foot today and my legs feel quite tired for the first time since the start of my plan.

• Cal - Aside from ITB I’ve also got some plantar fasciitis and the symptoms sound a lot like your foot issues. Mine hurts most when I wake up and calms down when I walk/run on it. I’m praying it doesn’t develop to hurting while running, in the middle of a marathon for instance! Rolling it on a golf ball at my desk at work is what I’ve been prescribed by my physio. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture-Thats a great run in dodgy weather,bodes well.
    Cozy-Well done on the 16.
    Last point on Seville,I tried beetshots again so it is definitely the last time I try it as that's 3 races now and they are the 3 most disappointing races in the last couple of years,might not be linked but it will be in my head so not taking any chances.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Not great weather this morning but I’d promised myself that I’d do 10 miles again this morning, for three longer runs in a row (I class 10 miles as a longer run ;) ). Yesterday’s was at 4hr marathon pace and today’s was marginally quicker despite the worse conditions (I don’t usually run my longer runs this quickly but wanted a test before my forthcoming triple).  A marathon followed by 2x10-milers and feeling generally ok is encouraging but it’s basically all I’ve done in terms of training for it!  I have ran 11 days in a row so I’m due a rest day really, but I’m feeling ok in myself. I may or may not run tomorrow, but if I do it’ll be a shorter run regardless.

72 miles for me last week, including the marathon, so 46 miles of training in a marathon week is good for me - I don’t do that many in a week that contains a marathon very often at all.

Thoughts turning to this weekend, which is a walking event. What’s the weather going to be, what clothes to take, what shoes to wear, etc? I’ve been warned by Mowzer on Facebook not to take it lightly so although it’ll be slow (I’m walking it) I know it’s going to be a different challenge. I did walk around 15miles in January on a hilly and fairly muddy route so hoping I’ll be ok. Hoping to get a parkrun in on the way up and then meeting my friend for dinner on the Saturday night. It’s hard to estimate how long it’ll take but I’m guessing 8hrs as an absolute minimum (it starts at 8am). 
  • Cozy - Nice 16 miler - maybe try an epsom salts bath, that might help your legs.
    Cal - I saw a few Chaser vests about. Course is nice, not flat but fast. Going over the motorway bridges felt tough towards the end, but I guess it always would at 11 miles in!! I'd do it again if it fitted with my training.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - so not perfect conditions which means that your PB is even more impressive.

Cal - that lump seems a bit strange, I've no idea what that could be, doesn't seem a usual location for a bursa.  Hope you get a prompt appointment.

Cozy - well done on the 16 miles.   What's the matter with your foot?  

Did you get around to checking your training paces against my figures last week?  I'm afraid you will get tired legs as the distance increases but even more so if you're running too fast.  Enjoy the step back in distance this coming weekend.

Rcouture - keep using that golf ball, it does help.

Ian - well you gave the beet shots a fair trial, think of the money you'll save plus they're not exactly tasty.  :#

I'm just watching the lunchtime news and revelations about Farah changing his statement and admitting he did receive L-Carnitine injection pre London marathon.
    Panorama tonight BBC 1

• Shades - I'm not very sure, but I think it's just a wee bit of pain from the distance I was doing, every long run is now my longest ever run, so I guess I need to get used to it.

I did convert, I was at 9:12 pace, I think that was ok.

I have my half marathon a week on Sunday so I moved my 18 miles to this weekend!

Still struggling with stomach issues to some extent, made it round my 16 miles ... just!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Just reading about that,he hot asked numerous times and insisted he had never been injected with it,went out and spoke to someone who had given a statement the day before then went in and suddenly remembered,bit like he suddenly remembered he actually new Aden for years despite denying it.Not looking good,may not be able to prove anything but all the lying really casts doubt on his career for me.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - it doesn't look good.  He had 4 injections and 6 days later didn't declare it on the pre event form although it was supposed to be within the legal limit.  The doctor didn't record it either.
    Unbelievably that guy Fudge lied as well, he was sent to Switzerland to collect it and says he didn't remember doing that until Farah fessed up then Fudge changed his statement too.  UKA does not come out of this well either.

Farah's team have declined to comment...
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ian/Shades, I was just reading about that too.  It seemed that the Usada people already had the information and they were waiting for Farah to confirm it .  When he repeatedly denied taking that drug, he then went out and spoke to the person who had already admitted to the drug being administered, so Farah had to go back in and then admit it.  

Also there was a quote from a Farah lawyer/representative who said that it was irrelevant if some people think what he's done is against the "spirit of the law".   It reminds me of all those times when Farah (and others) say "I've never failed a drugs test".  That may be true, but it's not the same as saying "I've never taken drugs".  Not looking good.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Lance Armstrong never failed a test either.....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy1504 said:

I did convert, I was at 9:12 pace, I think that was ok.

I have my half marathon a week on Sunday so I moved my 18 miles to this weekend!

Still struggling with stomach issues to some extent, made it round my 16 miles ... just!

Cozy - too fast.  Long run pace should be 9:30 to 10:30 and you should aim for mid to slower end of pace range.

Cancel the 18 miler this weekend, you have a sore foot, if you're painfree do 10 or 12 miles.   When you do your half that's easily equivalent to a 16 or 17 mile run and you can always do a couple of gentle miles after the race if you want to top the mileage up though it's not necessary.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian5 said:
    Lance Armstrong never failed a test either.....
    It really does echo the Lance Armstrong scenario doesn't it.
  • Thanks Shades - I'm getting there, I'm slowing down. 

I have my daughters christening on Saturday so if I do a 10 that'll allow me to squeeze the run in on the morning .... if pain free.