Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - are you feeling better today?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy - then 10 it is and you can tuck into the cake at your daughter's christening.

Sometimes you just have to step back a little from the training and recharge and recover, otherwise you're setting yourself up for injury.   You have plenty time, you still have 3 months to your marathon.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Stomach still isn't quite right,it was definitely something working its way through my body,gives me a good excuse to sit around and watch tv today.
  • Afternoon shadies. Hope you’re all well after another blustery weekend..

Steve - Wow that’s an amazing time well done...
    seems like I’ve let my game slip a little cause people around me and setting faster times over various distances than me..

Well now i have a little time before the school run, I thought i would do a small write up about my race on saturday evening.

The event start time was 3pm but I wasn’t sure I would be able to make it due to having to work a full day so i had spoken to the organisers and they would let me start late if i needed to, but thankfully i finished in time and got to the start with half an hour to go.. I was still in my work uniform so had to quickly get changed and pick up my race number. As i always do, i recognised quite a few people and knew it would be a very social event even if in the dark and the wind..
    we were given the race brief and promptly sent on our way at 3pm.. The event itself was at Brooks farm in Herne bay and they allowed us to use one of their empty barns, which i assume was used to store onions, because it had a slightly pungent odour. I met up with someone from one of the keto running groups that i belong to on FB and we ran together for the first lap.
    the route was fairly flat. We exited the farm yard and turned right up a slight hill and then right into one of the fields, which was pretty muddy with great big tractor tyre ruts, so everyone was forced to walk as it was pretty slippery and uneven. Once we exited the field we found the concrete pathway which took us up a small hill and onto the road which then took us to the next field. Thankfully this one had a gravel road so it was pretty easy running. We crossed the motorway and turned left and passed the aid station which was at a crossroads called jelly baby junction. The route then wound around various farm roads and passed a micro brewery, unfortunately it was closed, then around the rest of the farm back to jelly baby junction and back the way we has come. Each lap was 6.22 miles.
    After the first lap i started to run on my own but i struggled with pacing so had to remind myself that 7min/mile was the wrong way to do it. Problem was though, i was enjoying the pace so thought i would finish the second lap like that and then slow things down. As i was almost back at base camp, I caught up to a friend of mine and decided to do the next lap with her. She was just walking a half but I didn’t mind cause there was an 8hr cut off so plenty of time.. we walked and talked and i was enjoying my time with her until she decided to misstep and twisted her ankle pretty badly which swelled up instantly. Problem was, we were still about 2 miles from base camp. Through the gritted teeth and many many expletives she hobbled back to the start where she could get some medical attention. It was the longest 10k in history 2hr34min.
    For me that was the end of lap 3 and I wasn’t sure whether to do 1 or 2 more laps so i headed out and would make up my mind when i got back from lap 4. Thankfully that lap was uneventful and took me just under an hour so with plenty time left i decided to go out for my 5th lap. Again a fairly uneventful lap aside from my head tourch dying but thankfully somebody was finishing their race so they gave me theirs so i could complete my race.. again the last lap took me around an hour and i was quite happy to call it a day as i had been on my feet for almost 7 hrs plus the 7hrs of work and i had got the 50k i wanted.. finish in 6:56:02 but was pleased with that.. all i had eaten that day was cheese at the end of each lap and electrolytes so i win on the nutrition front..

my next event is Saturday 29th SVN Leap year challenge. Just hope the weather behaves itself..
  • Great write-up Iain. A cheese-fuelled 50k is quite something!
  • Well done, Iain - don't think I could stomach cheese on a run. Great that your fellow runner loaned you a torch - the running community is amazing.
  • Morning all. Woke up looking forward to resuming training but my legs still feel knackered from Sunday half. ITB and plantar fasciitis seem ok but legs overall are heavy and still sore whereas it usually only normally takes me a day to get over long runs. Wondering whether to give myself one more day of rest or If it would do me good to get a run in after work this evening. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - you will recover more quickly if you do a gentle recovery run ASAP, 3 to 5 miles at a very easy pace.   Might not feel wonderful especially at the start of the run but by tomorrow you should have a lot less discomfort.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - great report, your poor friend that must have been so painful for her, hope it's no worse than a sprain.  Doing a full day's work pre race is most impressive.

I love cheese too in ultras

6 miles this morning, bit colder and a couple of showers but not windy which was a pleasant change.   Still have slightly sore legs from gym on Sunday but not glycogen depleted today.

Pilates and gym later.

Watched the Panorama programme on Salazar last night.   For me the part about Farah and UKA felt very uncomfortable viewing.  

• Shades - that's the colour of her ankle so I think it's pretty bad.. she is stubborn and still thinks she can run on it.. some how I think she is sidelined for a while. 

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Iain - that's awful, ankles are notoriously slow to heal so she needs to rest otherwise she could have months of pain/poor mobility
  • She won't be running on that, Iain, that's a proper sprain.
    Rcouture - I always feel way more beat up after a windy race.

Anyway, I've been consulting Dr Google, and while I know that's not always a good idea, I am 90% positive what I have is something called a plantar fibroma. I remember I did find it before during a self-foot massage and then forgot about it, as it wasn't sore at the time. It's still tender today so I'm going to give myself a few days. I'm seeing my  physio tomorrow. I really hope this doesn't mean a lot of downtime as I've had enough disappointments this year already and I really want to give Manchester a good punt.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I watched the Panorama documentary last night - there was nothing new really in comparison to what was in the news articles over the last day or two, but just reiterating that Mo doesn't come out of this very well sadly :(  I think for many "normal" runners and members of the public, injecting anything is then a step way too far, regardless of if it was within the guidelines or not.  I don't know why there is a guideline in the rules that allows for injecting anything  - that seems odd to me - but regardless, I think many normal runners wouldn't see that as the right thing to be doing.  It's all about these "marginal gains" and pushing the rules to the point of breaking, which for many doesn't sit right.  I still have this vision that runners lace up, train hard, and race "naturally" but I know in reality that isn't the case at the elite level.

After the last couple of days of 10-milers I am quite tired, even though I slept like a baby last night, so a rest day today.  And I'll be eating pancakes... :)  
  • Iain - Great write up, epic 50k at the end of a busy day!!
    Big G / Shades - Watched that too, Mo doesn't come out of it very well, neither do UKA to be honest. I also feel that if he did something within the guidelines he would have disclosed it, but it was hidden away and then denied after being asked 3/4 times!!! Something isn't right.

Anyway, today was 12 miles with 6*1km reps. I knew it would be tough after the weekend, but wanted to get it done. Reps were 3:43/3:49/3:44/3:42/3:41/3:47 for a 3:44 average, which is basically bang on 5k pace! I knew after the first rep that it would be tough and while I couldn't hold sub 6 min mile pace, got it done which should be good training!
  • Cal - Fingers crossed your foot improves. <div>Nice running all. Think I’ll do an easy 8k post work as suggested to get my legs back into shape. I was meant to be travelling to Italy for work tomorrow but that’s been cancelled due to the virus so should hopefully a solid week’s quality runs ahead of my second ever 20 miler this Sunday. First one a couple of weeks ago was very slow at 9:41/mile so thinking can push that a bit. Fastest you’d suggest at this stage (Mara April 19th hoping for <4hr)?</div>
  • Rcouture - A 4 hour marathon is 9:10 min miles. I'd suggest you run it at 10 min miles at the fastest. No need to run fast in training, unless you have a specific session.
  • Steve - Yes I’ve been doing specific speed work and MP runs on weekdays and keeping it slow (at least what I thought was slow!) for long runs for long runs at the weekend. Sounds like it’s not worth pushing it at all. 
  • Rcouture, I have the same target and the same issues slowing down for training!

I'm getting there, I keep getting into trouble from Shades for running too quick :D

My next long run will be in my target pace .... I promise

• As a newbie I find it really counterintuitive, you get fitter so you think you should go faster! Then again I have got at least two injuries from overdoing it already so you’d think I’d have learned my lesson :) When is your marathon Cozy?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - interesting your Dr Google results, what's the prognosis of a plantar fibroma?

Big G/Steve - re Farah, I'm afraid I can't get past the fact that Farah didn't tell the truth during the 5 hours of questioning.   They say the amount injected was within legal limits but if it was how come nobody recorded the amount injected, 4 injections over 2 hours, why didn't UKA and/or the doctor measured the amount.  I bet Salazar knew how much was injected.   And then not to declare it, no reason not to if it was legal.   I can't get past that conspiracy/lies and now I struggle to believe Farah to be clean at all as I can't trust him.  And Fudge flew to Zurich to collect it from the house of a contact of Salazar's :o

Steve - wow a speed session so soon after your race, you're in great shape.

Rcouture - sorry to hear your trip to Italy has been cancelled.
    Re MP runs, I don't know what training plan you're following but usually MP would only be for a short section of your long run.   Steve is right you need to slow down for your long runs, they shouldn't be run at anywhere near MP.

Cozy - Rcouture isn't following my training plan.   My plans are for the minimum amount of training for a marathon, aimed at busy folk, so 3 or 4 runs a week.   With so few runs it's crucial that training paces are adhered to otherwise you won't make the adaptions and improvements in your aerobic system for you to complete the marathon without too much discomfort.

Pilates was a great class and good upper body session done in the gym.

• Shades - The plan I’m following has two runs a week at MP (currently at 10k each), a speed session (Yasso-800s peaking at 10 reps), an easy 30-60min run, then the long runs. I was doing longish runs already before starting the plan so I’ve amended them to include more 20milers (I’ve planned to do 5 vs 3 in the plan). Ive absolutely no idea if the plan is any good. Randomly found it on the net and seemed to suit my schedule and goal pace. Thoughts? I’m very happy to amend. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - if the plan suits you then stick with it.   Except now that you've got a couple of niggles I would forget about any of the faster stuff until those niggles have gone.   So as long as you're not in pain then easy or long run pace for the distances prescribed in the plan.   When the niggles are gone then you can reintroduce the faster stuff.   There's nothing wrong with adding in some more long (20 miles) runs as long as they fit into the plan well.
    ITB is a very common injury when training for your first marathon, usually caused by the increase in mileage ( I had it training for my first marathon too).  It can also be caused by continually running on a camber so if your routes have a strong camber, try and switch around so you're not running on the same camber all the time.
  • Thanks Shades. That’s very clear. Will take it easy this week and see how I get on. Will leave speedwork till Friday and see how I’m feeling by then. 
  • Shades - my tongue was firmly in my cheek in my comments, I absolutely appreciate the efforts you have gone to in order to give me a plan and advice along the way. Apologies if it came across in any other way.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cozy1504 said:

Shades - my tongue was firmly in my cheek in my comments, I absolutely appreciate the efforts you have gone to in order to give me a plan and advice along the way. Apologies if it came across in any other way.

Cozy - I know.  Your comments did not come across any other way except in the way you intended.  I just wasn't sure if you realised the Rcouture had joined us recently part way through his training and not following the same plan as you.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big_G said:
    Not great weather this morning but I’d promised myself that I’d do 10 miles again this morning, for three longer runs in a row (I class 10 miles as a longer run ;) ). Yesterday’s was at 4hr marathon pace and today’s was marginally quicker despite the worse conditions (I don’t usually run my longer runs this quickly but wanted a test before my forthcoming triple).  A marathon followed by 2x10-milers and feeling generally ok is encouraging but it’s basically all I’ve done in terms of training for it!  I have ran 11 days in a row so I’m due a rest day really, but I’m feeling ok in myself. I may or may not run tomorrow, but if I do it’ll be a shorter run regardless.

72 miles for me last week, including the marathon, so 46 miles of training in a marathon week is good for me - I don’t do that many in a week that contains a marathon very often at all. 
    sorry Big G, I meant to comment on this yesterday.

You'll find that most don't specifically train for multiple marathons by doing back to back runs, just by reaching the best level of fitness that they can.  Of course the others as you know don't bother training at all.  ;)  You've done a good block of training but not sure 2 x 10 milers after the marathon will be of any help at all.   Multiple marathons are like ultras 80-90% mental and the rest is physical.   So as long as you're determined you will be fine, the struggle will be TBL though.

I never even did a double before my first triple and it made no difference at all.   However, the only thing I find with a triple, compared to a double, is that on Day three I am glycogen depleted and I feel the cold more and need to take on probably 3 times the amount of fuel on Day 3 than I would normally, and preferably in the form of food as I get really hungry.     A triple may not affect you like that at all.   In my first triple on Day three I was ravenous halfway into the race and was grabbling as many sweets as I could off supporters ( I was in Dublin) but I was saved when someone bought me a round of sandwiches from a garage en route :) 

I will relate the story of my first triple tomorrow but I'm starving now and need my lunch.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Big G - re your walk, there is no way you can estimate the time as it depends on the route.  I did an LDWA event in Glos once, marathon distance and it took me 7 hours and it wasn't hilly but there were 100 stiles and it takes time climbing over that many.

Is mowzer doing the event?   I miss her on here but I guess she's not running any more.   If you see her give her my regards.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    RCouture/Cozy, I think probably most marathon runners have been there in terms of trying to get their heads around "running slower to get quicker".  It took me a few attempts for it to click.  It does seem counterintuitive but it builds the endurance and helps avoid injury too.  Not sure if you're on Strava, but one issue with Strava is that it encourages runners to run quickly, as they see their friends running and I just think it encourages quicker paces that desirable.  I'm on Strava and really like the social side of things and discovering new routes etc, but in training I just do my own thing generally.  I didn't have a great year last year but the year before I did well and smashed my PB.  After that I got a few comments along the lines of "oh, but you run so slowly in training".  It's a hard message to get across, but stick with it.

Shades, it was just a confidence thing really.  Generally I do all my runs slower than that so I just decided to do 3 in a row at a quicker pace to see how it was.  I would really like to get 3xsub-4s and I know I can do it, but it just depends on the weather, injuries and everything else.  I don't want to jinx it but I do feel I'm running quite well at the moment, but I've got three before them that I need to get through first, so again just trying to not look too far ahead.

Regarding Mowzer, I don't think she's doing the event.  Someone was asking about their first double, the second day of which is Hannington Hike.  I replied to that person about some tips that I've picked up that seemed to help me, mainly about elevating the legs, and Mowzer responded to that in agreement, and said to not underestimate the LDWA event.  I know she's done a few of them, hasn't she.

I've done two LDWA events.  One was a sub-7 (just) with a group of Trotters and the other 6:43. Tough events, but I did enjoy those two.  The 6:43 was in the summer and was very, very hard/dry terrain which hurt the ankles.  I was supposed to do day 2 of that weekend as well but decided against it.  No danger of it being dry this time, but the wet will bring its own challenges!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    RCouture-Just to back up the others,i'd say your long runs should be at least 1m/m slower than your target pace,ideally closer to 90secs,there is no real gain running closer and far more to lose.
    Steve-That's a great session straight after a race.
    Cal-Hope it goes quickly.
    As for Mo-I can't get past the obvious lying,it's been shown before he's not the cleverest person but to sit there lying then go back in and say I've just remembered is crazy and if it was all ok why lie in the first place,you'd just say yeah I took it but it was within the legal limits,same with Aden,just say yeah he's a guy I know but as soon as i heard about him cheating I disassociated myself with him.
    OH completed her last 20 today so that's 4 done,which is great for her first.
  • Thanks everyone for the usual excellent advice.

I guess for me, having never ran a marathon before (I mentioned above that my long run most weekends is my longest ever run), is that I don't know that I'll have faith in my ability to run my target time if I've never done so before.

In reality, after last weeks heavy mileage (for me) I feel knackered and have a sore foot which I believe yet again backs up the excellent advice on here, go slower!!

So I will be slowing down again for my long runs and easy paced runs :)